Menu

Please tell me about prednizone

I am just back from the doctor about the extreme eczema on my hands, and she put me on a short course of prednizone. I think I was on this once before way back when but I was a lot younger.

Does it really make you gain weight, change you from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde and keep you awake all night? :willy_nilly:

I will be on a 6 day pack, with dosage stepping down from 24 mg on day one to 4 mg on day 6.

My sister was on prednisone as a teenager, but for a longer time. She really did puff up dramatically. She has severe stretch marks that have required plastic surgery. My mother and my sister both have auto-immune disorders and have to periodically be on prednisone. But our experience is the shorter time, the better.

I have had to take this kind of treatment many many times in my life, and it has not had any negative effect on me other than making me a little more sleepless. But that happened only in the past 3 or 4 years, and at MUCH higher doses.

I love me my prednisone when it is what is needed.

(BTW, every last dermatologist I have ever gone to has told me I have had the worst case of eczema s/he has ever seen...so I'm tellin' you from experience here--this will help you a lot to get cleared up. THEN start looking for root causes. It is very often allergy.)

I'm thankful that someone at the Base clinic finally took me seriously...I got a referral to a dermatologist off-base, as well. I haven't slept well for months now...the itching is unreal!!! My 5 year old even tells me to stop itching because if I don't stop ditching my hands "will drip blood all over the floor, and that would be gross".

What types of things would cause this sort of allergy? Topical? Food?

I'm thankful that someone at the Base clinic finally took me seriously...I got a referral to a dermatologist off-base, as well. I haven't slept well for months now...the itching is unreal!!! My 5 year old even tells me to stop itching because if I don't stop ditching my hands "will drip blood all over the floor, and that would be gross".

What types of things would cause this sort of allergy? Topical? Food?

:grouphug::grouphug: My 9 yo used to leave bloody handprints and footprints around the house. It was SOOOO heartbreaking! Anyway, he ended up with severe food allergies. I'd ask for allergy testing to see if that's it first!

I love being on prednisone :) We have a family joke that it is my preferred cure for every ail :) That sounds like a pretty low dose to me. I was on 20mg/ day for nearly a month during 2 of my pregnancies (for severe morning sicknesss). Recently I was on a pill pack for poison ivy that started at 30 mg and then decreased. I was almost worried they hadn't started me off high enough - I know I've had higher dose pill packs in the past.

Enjoy it!

For me prednisone has been a lifesaver. Take it as directed and it will help your skin to heal. The underlying cause with allergies can be ither things you ingest or contact dermatitis from soaps, cleansers, the counter cleaner you use, flea powder on the dog etc. The worst case I have seen came from an allergic reaction to flea powder. My dh's paralegal was literally bleeding on paperwork and we were so glad to discover what was causing her such discomfort. the steroid therapy helped her tremendously. Short term , as directed and warn your family not to test limits for a few days.:lol: I underwent injections of medrol and was a dangerous woman for a spell. Honestly when used as directed it is a miracle drug for autoimmune disorders. I hope you get relief and soon.

I would be hesitant to go on prednisone. I blow up like the good year blimp!

I had the kind of disgusting eczema you talk about. I used to scratch my hands in my sleep and wake up with bloody disgusting hands.

I saw an "environmental dermatologist" in New York City who took one look at my hands (not so bad on my legs) and did allergy testing.

I am severely allergic to gold (other metals also but gold is my #1 enemy).

It took many years of being jewelry free and on topical medicine to completely clear it up.

I have outbreaks (particularly in the winter) and have one spot on my hand that is itching like crazy that will not go away.

There are so many causes from food, to allergies, laundry detergents, perfumes, etc that are the cause of eczema.

I recently went to the doctor for an itchy rash all over my leg. It was like little bug bites at first, but it seemed to be spreading. I literally wasn't sleeping at night and miserable. The doctor said the kind of itching where you want to lop your leg off is usually some type of contact dermatitis and she prescribed the low dose six day pack of prednisone. I asked her if I would puff up and be irritable, and she said that sort of reaction is only for higher, long-term doses. I took it as directed and it cleared it right up. No side effects that I noticed. Good luck!

I struggle with daily pain caused by inflammation in my SI joints. Recently, my doctor had me on a short course of Prednisone as we tried to manage the pain before and during a vacation.

I was only on it for 12 days, starting with a 40mg dose and decreasing by 10mg a day for the duration of the Rx. I did not experience any side effects.

I am on the last day of a higher dose, longer course. I am round, sweaty, sleepless and I feel better than I have in years (autoimmune disorders)! I will do it again when necessary for the wonderful benefits, which, in my case, outweigh the side effects.

My good friend just finished a short course low dose and was miserable.

Thsi is so individual...

Awww. Did it help?

I hope so.

So you know and don't feel like this is enormous...most of my "routines" have started at 60mg. 60-40 is the most sleepless. I go down by 5s. BUT since eliminating foods, I have had to do only about 2 routines in the time span I use-ta-woulda done 7 or 8.

It did not.

The only relief I have found so far has been in the form of injections into the joint. The most recent of these, however, only lasted a couple of weeks.

Regarding diet, I just picked up a couple of books about the relationship between diet and inflammation. I plan to dive into those this weekend and hope that I'll find something that might help.

Edited by Crissy

1 1/2 days down, so far, so good! I am a bit hungrier than usual :glare: but have been trying to eat healthily. Homemade popcorn, apples, actual food, not snacky stuff. The good news is I had no itching for the first time in months last night! (Was also given Rx for Allegra to help me sleep and relieve itching.) But, I didn't sleep much, maybe 4 hours. I'm trying hard not to nap this afternoon because I'm tired but wired...the chores are getting done, that's for sure!!!! Also took the girls to the park! Woo hoo for energy!

Not to keep bringing this up, but these kinds of posts really have helped me in the past! (Really, I'm not asking for attention...)

Day 4 and the eczema rash is COMPLETELY GONE from both of my hands! I'm THRILLED!

I've been a bit snackier than usual, and unfortunately, the irritability has kicked in. I feel like I want to snark back at any little comment my dh makes (I'm reading between a lot of lines) and my girls' regular happy squeals are grating on me, when this doesn't usually bother me at all. In fact, I yelled at them a few minutes ago because they asked me to look for their new fairy books. :ack2::crying:

Day 4 and the eczema rash is COMPLETELY GONE from both of my hands! I'm THRILLED!

That is excellent, Stephanie!

I've been a bit snackier than usual, and unfortunately, the irritability has kicked in. I feel like I want to snark back at any little comment my dh makes (I'm reading between a lot of lines) and my girls' regular happy squeals are grating on me, when this doesn't usually bother me at all. In fact, I yelled at them a few minutes ago because they asked me to look for their new fairy books. :ack2::crying:

You're almost there...

Just two more days. You can do it!

I am so glad you are finding some relief!

I was recently on methylpred ( a low does of prednisone) and I did not gain an ounce. [i cannot spell (Louisiana ps education) so don't fault me] I have weird skin ailments and steroids are the only cure. I think it truly depends on the user. You may gain weight and you may not. I know I was hungrier than usual, but somehow I was able to control it. Honestly, your health is more important than your weight.

Does it really make you gain weight, change you from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde and keep you awake all night? :willy_nilly:

Absolutely, yes. But not at the dose and time period you are taking.

At almost 38, I weigh nearly 250lbs, have cushing syndrome, diabetes, hypothyroid, depression, severe skin thinning and stretch marks, thin hair, chronic yeast infections and a belly that is three sizes bigger than my hips or chest... all courtesy of prednisone.

I can also walk (just sometimes not so fast). That's a biggie, since I've had severe systemic RA with organ involvement since I was 5. Prednisone is the nearest thing I've seen to a miracle drug. I can be wheeled into my Rheumy's office, and one 60mg shot of deltasone later, I'm walking out. It is a harsh, cruel mistress, but I keep on going back!

Taking a few courses of tapering preds now and then should not cause any lasting damage, and may very well cure your problem.