Menu

Help! I need a foundation (makeup)

I adore Philosophy's Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas mineral makeup. However, they are coming out with a liquid in a tube next month!

Everything they have ever come out with is SOOOO wonderful, so I think I might give it a try. I have very fair, porcelain-toned skin (always 00 or 01 in the color charts), am prone to acne, have oiliness from time to time and trying out new stuff always makes me nervous, and I tend to stick with what has worked, but Philosophy's quality is so good...

Edited by BikeBookBread

Try Mary Kay Mineral foundation (or any of their foundations). I tried Bare Escentuals and it made me hate mineral make up. I was using a Christian Dior foundation and though it was nice, it just wasn't quite right.

I suggest also using a primer before applying makeup. Mary Kay has an oil mattifier which I put on, then I put on the mineral foundation. Works great. If you are still oily, Mary Kay has this oil control moisturizer which is great.

For mineral foundation, you really need to use a flat top brush. The foundation brush that I got with my Bare Minerals really didn't apply the make up that well.

So, which color do you use? The natural ivory looks sooooo dark.

I adore Philosophy's Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas mineral makeup. However, they are coming out with a liquid in a tube next month!

Everything they have ever come out with is SOOOO wonderful, so I think I might give it a try. I have very fair, porcelain-toned skin (always 00 or 01 in the color charts), am prone to acne, have period oiliness and trying out new stuff always makes me nervous, and I tend to stick with what has worked, but Philosophy's quality is so good...

As a small piggyback...if you are interested in trying a foundation primer, moisten a cotton ball with milk of magnesia, rub over your face, let it dry, and then put your makeup on. It's an excellent mattifier.

I haven't tried it yet, but Revlon has a mineral mousse foundation I've been eyeing. I've heard that mousse foundations work better with oily skin. I'm trying to use up my Everyday Minerals as well. I still like it, but am really getting tired of the mess all over the counter.

So, which color do you use? The natural ivory looks sooooo dark.

I would use whichever was the lightest -- natural ivory DOES look dark on the computer, but it works well on me. I would call them -- they are VERY helpful -- I believe they have a return policy for "gently used" makeup if it doesn't work out...

Or, do you have a Nordstrom or Sephora nearby? Both stores sell Philosophy and you could try it out.

Here are their color descriptions which seem to be pretty accurate:

natural ivory:
a natural/sand shade with slightly yellow undertones that provides sheer coverage for light skin tones.

sand:
a golden, earthy shade with luminous yellow undertones that provides sheer coverage for light to medium skin tones.

beige:
a golden/beige shade with slightly pink undertones that provides sheer coverage for light to medium skin tones.

medium beige:
a light, cool shade with luminous pink undertones that provides sheer coverage for light to medium skin tones.

bronze:
a universally-flattering, deep terracotta shade that provides sheer coverage for medium to dark skin tones.

rich:
a universally-flattering color that provides sheer coverage for dark skin tones.

extra rich:
a deep, copper shade that provides sheer coverage ideal for darker skin tones.

BTW, I have tried both Everyday Minerals and Bare Escentuals -- both made me want to CLAW MY FACE OFF itching...it was torture (I'm not exaggerating). I have had no problems with Philosophy, and have been wearing it for almost 4 years now.

I am using Everyday Minerals now, but I have not been happy with it.

What specifically don't you like about it? Are you looking to stay with a mineral foundation, or are you open to any kind of foundation?

BTW, I have tried both Everyday Minerals and Bare Escentuals -- both made me want to CLAW MY FACE OFF itching...it was torture (I'm not exaggerating).

I used BE for a few months (enough to finish off what I had bought) but had the exact same itching problem. And I KNOW you're not exaggerating - what a horrible feeling! WHen I ran out of BE I switched to EM upon the recommendation of former-BE users who had the same itchy reaction but were having better success with EM.

I don't like EM either. It doesn't make me itch, but ... I can't even pinpoint what it is exactly that I don't like about it - I just don't like it. It's made my face look and feel a bit blotchy/flushed, and it shows my facial oil (it doesn't *stick* like BE did - BE stayed looking nice all day long; EM lasts a few hours if that).

I'm almost done with my batch of EM. Then I'm making the switch to Philosphy. A lot of my colleagues use it and are happy with it.

I'm also going to try the MoM tip - thanks, sixpence!

Have you tried Maybelline Dream Matte. It is light as air, very matte and provides good coverage. My skin is much like your own and it works for me. My girls like it as well and keep stealing mine. We all use Procelain Ivory. Here is a link with colors.

http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Face/Foundation/dream-matte-mousse-makeup.htm

Thanks, but I have looked at their shade, and they are not light enough.

I would prefer a mineral foundation as I have had more success with it not melting on my face. I don't really have any itching problems, but it accentuates the pores (particularly on my chin). I really like the ease of brushing it on as opposed to dealing with liquid foundations. I am just looking so old. ugh

What specifically don't you like about it? Are you looking to stay with a mineral foundation, or are you open to any kind of foundation?

I used BE for a few months (enough to finish off what I had bought) but had the exact same itching problem. And I KNOW you're not exaggerating - what a horrible feeling! WHen I ran out of BE I switched to EM upon the recommendation of former-BE users who had the same itchy reaction but were having better success with EM.

I don't like EM either. It doesn't make me itch, but ... I can't even pinpoint what it is exactly that I don't like about it - I just don't like it. It's made my face look and feel a bit blotchy/flushed, and it shows my facial oil (it doesn't *stick* like BE did - BE stayed looking nice all day long; EM lasts a few hours if that).

I'm almost done with my batch of EM. Then I'm making the switch to Philosphy. A lot of my colleagues use it and are happy with it.

I'm also going to try the MoM tip - thanks, sixpence!

I would prefer a mineral foundation as I have had more success with it not melting on my face. I don't really have any itching problems, but it accentuates the pores (particularly on my chin). I really like the ease of brushing it on as opposed to dealing with liquid foundations. I am just looking so old. ugh

You might check out Meow:

http://meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

They have 3 different foundation formulations, with tons of different shades. I'd suggest ordering several sample packets in different colors and see which one you like best. I tried Everyday Minerals, too, and it left me looking too shiny or something.

They have 3 different foundation formulations, with tons of different shades. I'd suggest ordering several sample packets in different colors and see which one you like best. I tried Everyday Minerals, too, and it left me looking too shiny or something.

Thanks. I just ordered several samples. I love companies that offer samples!

I have:

oily skin

very fair skin

undereye circles

flushing of the face

obvious pores

I am using Everyday Minerals now, but I have not been happy with it.

That's me. Too pale for most brands, but still like a little warmth for the flushing.

The only way I'm able to wear mineral foundations is if I use a cornstarch product before and after I put on the foundation. Everyday Minerals has something like that. The key to hiding the pores is the before part. If you have some cornstarch at home, try it; you may not need to buy more product.

Or you could just shell out for Mac Studio Fix. They do have your color, no pores, and no shine. People complain that this stuff is too matte. Since I get tired of layering, this is what I'm getting before next summer. I really don't get as oily in the winter, so I drop the second layer of cornstarch.

Ooh. Ordered samples, too. Thanks.

The only foundation that has ever worked for me is Estee Lauder. It is expensive but I have complicated skin and nothing else has ever been able to really work. It is the one thing I splurge on. I get all the rest of my makeup at Walgreens but I do pay extra for my base and powder. What I would recommend doing is going to the makeup counter on a slow day and letting them do your makeup for you. They will do it for free and you're not obligated to buy their stuff. I did this with several different places. I went with no makeup on and let them do my entire foundation. That is how I decided. I love my foundation . It is Estee Lauder double matte. It is the only foundation that stays on my face. All other ones just seem to dissappear within 2 hours whereas this one makes it all day. Good luck in your quest for the perfect foundation!

Try Mary Kay Mineral foundation (or any of their foundations). I tried Bare Escentuals and it made me hate mineral make up. I was using a Christian Dior foundation and though it was nice, it just wasn't quite right.

I suggest also using a primer before applying makeup. Mary Kay has an oil mattifier which I put on, then I put on the mineral foundation. Works great. If you are still oily, Mary Kay has this oil control moisturizer which is great.

For mineral foundation, you really need to use a flat top brush. The foundation brush that I got with my Bare Minerals really didn't apply the make up that well.

I second Mary Kay. I can't use the Mineral Foundation because it doesn't go with my oily skin, but I LOVE the cream to powder foundation. Great coverage and doesn't feel like I have anything on my face.

I love 2 items: Smashbox Foundation Primer

Laura Mercier Foundation(oil-free)

I have used these two items for years. I found out about them thru Instyle magazines top 100 favorites. I have always seen both of them mentioned in other publications as readers' favorites.

Just so you know...I am mid-40s, oily T-zone with pores that bug me and hyperpigmentation. I have tried various foundations but go back to these. I'm always looking for the perfect one but I love change.

I recently went to the Chanel counter and a wonderful lady helped me. She tried 3 different shades, finally went with Clair 0.5 intensity, not sure what the intensity part does but she experiment with 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5. She even offered me a very generous sample to try out before I bought. My skin is similar to yours. They have 3 different kinds, one is very matte, one is more luminous, I bought the newest one they have now which is supposed to lift (LOL) it is called Lift Luminere. It was $65 which is a lot, but at least if you get the sample you can try it first. I am so blessed, I have a dh who just loves makeup, purses and shoes, and he spoils me rotten.

Hope you find a great salesperson!

The only way I'm able to wear mineral foundations is if I use a cornstarch product before and after I put on the foundation.

Wow! I did this today, and it helped with the redness, and I never once had a shiny face! It was sooooo humid here today as well, and that usually makes me melt. Thanks so much!

I only own about 5 pieces of make up, but my little sister bumped that up to 6 when she introduced me to MAC concealer. It is like a little miracle. I felt funny buying it in a fancy department store, I always get my make up at Walgreens, but when I tried hers I decided to get some! it covers undereye circles and those little sun spots that are popping up in my 30s. gl!

Wow! I did this today, and it helped with the redness, and I never once had a shiny face! It was sooooo humid here today as well, and that usually makes me melt. Thanks so much!

I'm glad it helped. It was in the low 70's here, but it was so humid I shut the house back up and turned the air back on.

Now I just need to find a pressed cornstarch product without all the glowy stuff that I can put in the diaper bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my samples, and I love them! I've had no melting, no itching, no pore problems.

I also found a great eye cream.

Yahoo!

Thanks!

Neutrogena SkinClearing oil-free makeup with MicroClear technology.

Even though I don't break out a whole lot, I do have very oily skin. I love this one because it really keeps the oil down (I don't have to wear powder,and feel all cakey :tongue_smilie:). I don't even feel like I am wearing makeup; which is good for me, since I only started wearing it 3 years ago. At my Walmat they have a card with a translucent of each color on it. You just put it up to your face. The one that disappears when up against your skin is the shade for you.