Menu

"Welcome to the library. Say goodbye to the books." Boston Globe

I see a future where the only libraries that exist will be part of homeschooling. Sort of joking.

Janet

I would be all for starting now to develop that Underground Book-lover's Paradise we'll have keep secret in the future. Anyone want in?

With so many articles like this, I am becoming worried. As stated by a number of posters in another thread, I don't think I'd want to read as much if I couldn't actually hold a book, turn the pages, flip back or forward. Then there is sentimental attachment stuff like the way the smell, the feel of the different kind of paper, etc, which is admittedly just personal. Its just not the same on a computer at all. How many young people will never actually foster a love for reading because of this? How many people can't afford computers so thier child can read??

"Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was a boy. Lord, there were a lot of lovely books once, before we let them go."

Ray Bradbury

A room without books is like a body without a soul.Cicero

How very sad the school decided to do that. :(

Edited by elw_miller
Typo

I would be all for starting now to develop that Underground Book-lover's Paradise we'll have keep secret in the future. Anyone want in?

Sign me up!!

With so many articles like this, I am becoming worried. As stated by a number of posters in another thread, I don't think I'd want to read as much if I couldn't actually hold a book, turn the pages, flip back or forward. Then there is sentimental attachment stuff like the way the smell, the feel of the different kind of paper, etc, which is admittedly just personal. Its just not the same on a computer at all.
I agree wholeheartedly.

This article makes me sad...:(

If I had the $31,200 a year's tuition costs there for a day student, I would not send my child to Cushing Academy solely because of this. My secondary reason would be the waste of money for the cappuccino machine.

http://www.cushing.org/admission/tuition.shtml

:lol::lol::lol: Save the 31k and buy your own cappuccino machine, could probably hire a part-time barista to make it for you and still have money for books.

At the end of the article it said that only 48 books had been checked out. Did they mean for the day? the month? the quarter?

Maybe the library is redundant for that school. Perhaps the kids use the public library and the school didn't give them time to peruse and use the school library.

When I was in school, I read a TON of books, but all from the public library. I never used the school library. I never felt safe from teasing at school, so I didn't want to look for books in the library and be called a nerd. At least at the public library, kids who would call me a nerd for reading weren't there.

So, maybe the books are a waste at that school if the kids don't use the ones that are there. The kids who like to read books probably go to the public library.

And unless there's a class that leaves the kids in the library so they have time to look for books, when would the kids get the books? It's not like you have a "library" class. Every minute of your day is scheduled in school. You can't just wander into the library whenever you like and get a book. At lunch, you have to stay in the cafeteria. During study hall, you have to stay in the classroom designated for that. And certainly, during regular class time, you can't take a trip to the library.

So, as sad as it sounds, maybe that particular library was a waste of space.

Edited by Garga

At the end of the article it said that only 48 books had been checked out. Did they mean for the day? the month? the quarter?

Maybe the library is redundant for that school. Perhaps the kids use the public library and the school didn't give them time to peruse and use the school library.

When I was in school, I read a TON of books, but all from the public library. I never used the school library. I never felt safe from teasing at school, so I didn't want to look for books in the library and be called a nerd. At least at the public library, kids who would call me a nerd for reading weren't there.

So, maybe the books are a waste at that school if the kids don't use the ones that are there. The kids who like to read books probably go to the public library.

And unless there's a class that leaves the kids in the library so they have time to look for books, when would the kids get the books? It's not like you have a "library" class. Every minute of your day is scheduled in school. You can't just wander into the library whenever you like and get a book. At lunch, you have to stay in the cafeteria. During study hall, you have to stay in the classroom designated for that. And certainly, during regular class time, you can't take a trip to the library.

So, as sad as it sounds, maybe that particular library was a waste of space.

so they probably wouldn't use the public library.

I'm sure they are so busy with their school work that they don't have time read the books in the school library.

I think that a majority of the students at that school board so they probably wouldn't use the public library.

I'm sure they are so busy with their school work that they don't have time read the books in the school library.

oooOOOOoh! I see. I didn't realize that.

If that's the case (that the kids board and can't get to a public library) then this really is sad.

If it's just a case of a regular school shutting down it's library because the kids don't have time to use it in the school day and can go to the public library in the evening or on weekends, then it's sort of logical.

But the boarding part makes it very sad. Very sad.

Edited by Garga

Sort of. That's not really my point.

Did anyone go to a school that gave you time in the school library, more than once a year for a special project? Does any school drop the kids off at the school library and give them time to peruse the shelves?

If the school doesn't fit time to wander through the library in the school day, then the library is a waste. That's the tragic part. The fact that schools don't give the kids time to find the books.

This school getting rid of the library is just a logical next step--IF you're not going to allow students adequate access.

to use the school library. My sister is always asking me about books she can recommend to her public school students because so many of the popular books are not appropriate in her opinion (sex, drugs, violence).

Schools are moving away from assigning books for dc to read and letting them choose from a list of approved books; thus the need to use the school library.

I love wandering the shelves and picking random books. I love flipping through them .

I love being able to accidentally drop a book and not have to fork over tons of money to get an LED fixed.

Even though most classica are available online for free. I much prefer having a book in my hand...

Seems like its a money making opportunity.....for technology vendors.

My prediction. There will be less literature read and more sound bites and snippets taken from the internet. Since entire books will no longer be read, the snippets will be taken out of context and the themes of many books will be misinterpreted, just like so much information taken from the internet today.

Snippets are dangerous.