Menu

Disney World -- need advice from veterans

We're considering taking a trip to Disney World in Florida the first week in February.

I've never been there. My husband went 30 years ago when he was in college. My 18yo and 9yo have both been there. It would be the first time for my 7yo and 15yo.

Our biggest concern is our youngest, the 7yo, who has autism. I've read numerous reviews online and Disney seems to be very accommodating to children with autism, which is one reason we'd really like to go -- not to mention the fact that she loves all the Disney characters, especially Nemo!

We've already been given permission from her public school to take her out of school for the February trip (we explained to them that we wanted to take her during the least crowded time, and the school is closed for two days that week anyway, so they had no problem with us taking her out of school for the other three days).

So my questions are as follows:

1 - Has anyone visited Disney World with a child with autism? Any tips or advice? We're planning on visiting the Magic Kingdom (1 day), Epcot (1 day) and Sea World (1 day). For my youngest, everything she'd be interested in in the Magic Kingdom is located in Fantasyland or Mickey's Toon Town, so she wouldn't be all over the park. In Epcot, she'd only really enjoy Nemo's Sea Adventure, and she loves all fish, whales, etc., for Sea World.

2 - Is it worth it to stay in the park? I did some pricing online and for all 6 of us to stay in one of the park hotels for 3 nights is going to run us around $3000. We can stay in the Nickelodeon Hotel, which is very close and runs a free shuttle to the park, for those same 3 nights for $700. Is it really worth that much more to stay in Disney itself? (I don't need any babysitting services, as we'll have our 18yo with us. We're driving down anyway, so we'll have a car for transportation.)

We're only planning on 3 nights in Disney because we'll also be stopping by the Jacksonville / Saint Augustine area to visit friends and family on the way back up to Virginia, and we'll be staying there for 2 nights.

Any and all advice from Disney veterans is more than welcome!!

Edited by hsmamainva

Don't bother staying on Disney property. It isn't worth the extra money IMO. Although sometimes Disney offers a free dining plan in which case it might be worth it for you, but you would need to crunch the numbers.

We stay in a place with a kitchen so we can make our own breakfast, and we rent a car so we can do other stuff to and not have to fuss with shuttles. If you don't mind shuttles though, then just use those.

The teens would probably have more fun at Universal studios for at least some of the days. Talk with the kids and see what they want to do/see.

Are you sure that is room only? That would be $500/night for 2 rooms. Not sayin' it's not possible (full rack rate at the Grand Floridian is probably that much during peak season), but could that include your park passes and/or dining? FWIW, I think Disney's online reservation system is the pits. It is much easier (not to say easy, just easier) to call them.

I do love to stay onsite because getting to and from the parks is so much easier. With 6 people, though, I think the only Disney hotel where you wouldn't need 2 rooms might be the cabins at Ft. Wilderness, which have their own drawbacks. For only 2 days, though, even I might not stay onsite.

If you have not already, please look for The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It has more information than you could ever need, including a discussion of the ins and outs of visiting Disney with an autistic child. Also, check mousesavers.com for specials on rooms and packages.

And Sea World rocks. Don't tell anyone, but I like it more than Disney. Be sure to feed the dolphins at Dolphin Cove (I might have that name wrong). You buy a little tray of fish, and they will take the fish out of your hand and let you pet them. I have been surprised by the number of people who have visited SW and missed this experience.

Terri

I just wanted to mention that we love staying at Windsor Pointe, which is a rental townhome community. We stayed there twice now (once peak and once off peak time). We had a 3 bedroom townhome with 3 bathrooms, a full size kitchen and washer and dryer. It was great to be able to come home and relax for awhile in the afternoon and to get away from all the crowds, etc. It is only 5 minutes away from Disney. The price was very reasonable. During spring break we only payed $125 a night. Offpeak it would be even less expensive.

Also Mousesavers.com is a great website with many Disney tips. You may be able to find some suggestions there.

Have a great trip!

$3000 seems like a lot....are the tickets included in that price?

We mostly always stay on Disney property. We just love to be there "in the magic." We've stayed offsite several times and to us, we dont like to leave the magic and go back to an "ordinary" hotel. We like the themes that Disney hotels have to offer. Some people do not care about that though.

This article might be helpful --I didn't read all of it but it had the basic info I wanted to convey: http://www.selwyn.org/2005/disney_autism.html

Disney is great with kids and esp kids with special needs. We have done DW w/ all four of ours of varying ages ---while our two younger ones aren't Autistic they have other learning issues that create havoc in new environments with lots of people and lots of waiting. The special guest passes have been a great benefit ---we've generally only needed to actually use them if it was a very busy day ---but it was nice to have them just in case. It also helped tremendously once when little one got sick the minute we entered a park and dh had to keep the other 3---dealing with our next to the youngest all day wouldn't have been an option for dh without the special passes bec he just doesn't have to ability to be "on" all day.

We love staying on Disney property --we've only stayed off property once and that was bec we were only going to be there for 2 days. We could clearly see the difference and our family prefers Disney. The $3000 sounds like a lot for just room ----I would call and double check. Keep in mind, if you are AAA members and some ofther groups there are additional discounts that don't show up when you "trip plan" on their web-site. One nice thing about Disney property is if the day got too much for her you can easily return w/ one parent to the hotel while the rest enjoy the day in the parks. Sometime with the off-site properties if you rely on their transporation it isn't as frequent as Disney and of course if you drive yourself to the park there is the whole issue of half the party staying and th other half going back.

Some additional site to check out:

http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_Disney_World_Planning/Walt_Disney_World_Planning.shtml

http://www.mousesavers.com/

Some side note:

1) do plan at least one character meal

2) get an autograph book for the characters

3) at EPCOT get the Passport and she can have it stamped and written in as you "go around the world" --it gives her something to do while the rest are enjoying the world tour and there are generally projects at each stop.

This doesn't address your specific questions, but you asked for "any and all advice," so here goes.

We used the Unofficial Guide to Disney tour plans and had great success. If it would be helpful for your special needs son to have a predictable schedule, (much) shorter wait times, and a break in the afternoon, I'd strongly suggest the tour plans.

My family was quite reluctant to try them, but I pushed, and they agreed to try one day. The only drawback is that you must get to the park early for the plans to work. The benefit? During spring break our estimated average wait time was TEN MINUTES per ride. We could hardly believe how well the plans worked. My family was completely sold on the plans --we used them all 3 days and would never do it again without the tour plans.

For the price you've been quoted for hotel, I think I'd look around a little more. We've stay offsite at Sierra Suites and Residence Inn for much less...both places offer some breakfast and are very peaceful, which makes a good balance with Disney's sensory stimulation. Also consider renting a home.

SeaWorld has had a second day free program for years...if you do this, just remember they charge for parking the second day..however if only part of your family goes, you can be dropped off on the street by the exit and just walk in across the parking lot. It's a relaxing thing to do for the evening, especially if you're staying nearby.

I normally wouldn't stay at a Disney Property, BUT with the age range of your children, and accomodating your daughter's needs, it might be more beneficial. Here's why:

The Disney transportation is much more accomodating. Most hotels give shuttle service, but whenever we stayed at Disney, we were picked up and dropped off within 100-200 feet of our room. What's my point:

This would allow your older children to go/stay at the parks on their own schedule, while you come back to the room for an afternoon break. Knowing they were only going from Disney to Disney, not out on main streets with a hotel driver, would allow peace of mind, so they could have a bit of "freedom", especially since you only plan on taking your daughter to certain parts of the park.

Let's say, you want to go back to the room, and take a break from 2p-5p, and the older children want to stay at the park. You make arrangements to meet at 5p in front of the castle. Everyone is happy, relaxed and accomodated.

Just a though, assuming you are comfortable letting the older children do their thing.

I would TOTALLY stay on site, but I am also a major Disney freak. My husband and I have been more times than I should say and we ended up buying some Disney timeshare.

There are a handful of hotels that Disney has that are honest to goodness suites with bedrooms and kitchens and such. They are very expensive to rent directly from Disney, but you can rent them from owners.

This may seem a bit confusing, but in short, Disney timeshare holders buy a set of points that is renewed every year (sort of like an allowance). You are free to spend these points however you would like on the Disney resorts, with a few rules which we don't need to get into now because they shouldn't effect you. Disney rooms are assigned a point value. So you use your points to rent the rooms based on the point value. With a family of 6, you can stay in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit that has a full sized kitchen with stove, oven, dishes, dishwasher, fridge, the whole nine yards.

There are different resorts from which to choose, some which are within walking distance to Hollywood Studios (1/2 mile ish) and Epcot (1/4 mile ish), others that require a car or the use of the buses to get around, and others that let you walk or take a boat to the Magic Kingdom. Prices run differently for each place.

So, with all of this in mind, you can rent points from someone who owns the timeshare. Typical going rates these days for renting are $10 a point.

At Old Key West Resort (requires bus or car to get places), the cost per night is as follows:

Feb 1-15 on a weekday night (Sun-Thur night): 32 points a night (so $320)

Feb 1-15 on a weekend night (Fri- Sat night): 52 points a night ($520)

Feb 16-28 on a weekday night (Sun-Thur night): 36 points a night ($360)

Feb 16-28 on a weekend night (Fri-Sat night): 59 points ($590)

The Treehouse Villas are also quite similar in price and locaton to this, but they are 3 bedroom units, which would give some of your kids privacy.

If you decide to go at the beginning of February on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights, it will cost you $960 dollars. You will pay this money to someone who can rent the 96 points to you, and that person will make the reservations for you under your name.

At Bay Lake Towers (walk to Magic Kingdom, newest resort) the cost per night in the lowest catagory room (interior view, I think) is as follows:

Feb 1-15 on a weekday night (Sun-Thur night): 37 points a night

Feb 1-15 on a weekend night (Fri- Sat night): 66 points a night

Feb 16-28 on a weekday night (Sun-Thur night): 41 points a night

Feb 16-28 on a weekend night (Fri-Sat night): 73 points a night

SOOO, shew! It is a bit overwhelming, but really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I would very much recommend it because nothing beats staying on site. Disney rocks!! :) (Plus, you can all stay in the same place AND have a kitchen)

Oh, and as an aside, from what I understand you can't get free dining in February. That is typically something that is offered as a package deal for people who visit in and around September.

http://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com

The first week of Feb. is "mid" season, which would get you a 2 or 3 BR condo with full kitchen, W/D, etc. for around $99/night. If you look for properties in the Windsor Hills development, you'll be less than 10 minutes from your parking lot to the Disney parking lot (even on property busses will often take longer than that). You'll also have access to a beautiful resort pool, and many of the rooms available are even Disney-themed.

We've stayed on property, but with 5 of us we require two rooms, and for us it makes more sense to pay less and get more, even if it means not being on Disney property at all times.

http://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com

The first week of Feb. is "mid" season, which would get you a 2 or 3 BR condo with full kitchen, W/D, etc. for around $99/night. If you look for properties in the Windsor Hills development, you'll be less than 10 minutes from your parking lot to the Disney parking lot (even on property busses will often take longer than that). You'll also have access to a beautiful resort pool, and many of the rooms available are even Disney-themed.

We've stayed on property, but with 5 of us we require two rooms, and for us it makes more sense to pay less and get more, even if it means not being on Disney property at all times.

I'm glad to read this! We just rented a 3 bedroom condo (no private pool) for $466 for the week in Windsor Hills for January. It was his lowest price of the year. Gotta love that!

We've stayed on property in the past. But, now that our youngest officially counts (over 3), we're a family of 6 and those rooms are VERY expensive! So, we're trying off property for the first time ever. We figure the advantages are many - we can cook many of our own meals; we can leave the park to go back and nap and the commute will only be 10 minutes (the busses take longer!); more space (this is HUGE for us!). The theming of the hotels is quite fun, but I'm not sure I'll miss it, quite honestly.

I would definately call Disney and let them know you will have an autistic child. Ask what they do for them. I've also read that they will let you go to the front of the lines. they are GREAT with kids with disabilities. We chose Disney (and continue to go back) because of the way they deal with life-threatening food allergies. We were even able to cruise with them last year. To have a stress-free vacation is just priceless for us because these food issues are so prevalent in our daily lives.

Oh - check out the Dis Boards on line. They have information on there about EVERYTHING Disney!!

Have fun planning!!

If you won't have a vehicle, then staying onsite is convenient, otherwise I'd personally go offsite every time (with the exception of when WDW is offering free dining, but only if I was only planning on being in Florida for less than a week, which isn't likely to happen). We went last year and rented through vacationcentralflorida.com and were VERY happy with the place and the price.

We always stay onsite. Even though we have our car it's just easier because then everything Disney all pretty close.

Have you looked at the All Star Resorts. My kids love those and the All Star Music one even had Family suites last time we went (they converted 2 regular rooms into suites with a bedroom and living area with pull out couch, pull out chair and foldout ottoman. It also includes a mini kitchen area with small fridge and microwave which can be convienient for quick breakfasts or snacks if taking a break from the parks.

You need to get on the phone with a Disney travel agent; we've done Disney World 3 times in the last four years, and each time cost approximately $1,500 for 4 people for EVERYTHING: 5 nights at a value resort, 6 days in the parks, and meal plan. For 6 people, you would need either another room, or to move up to a moderate resort that can handle 6 people. It's definitely not worth and extra $300 per night, but I can't see how that's accurate for a comparable hotel.

For a longer vacation, I think onsite is an excellent deal, lots of fun, and low hassle. But you only have 2 days at Disney itself, and then the day at Sea World, so it might be different. One thing to consider is how your autistic child will react to Disney transport: we love not having to drive anywhere, but the busses are often crowded and noisy.

Okay, on to other stuff. I echo the advice to get the unofficial guide to Disney; it's really essential! Especially with such a short trip. You will discover things you didn't know Disney even had, and the best way to see them.

I can think of a few more things your dd might like in Epcot. If you stay on site and do the dining plan, you might try to eat at the Coral Reef

restaurant; it has a huge aquarium in the dining room. And there are aquariums and exhibits by The Living Seas, where the Nemo stuff is. And there are lots of character greeting opportunities in Epcot.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!! Keep it coming!! :)

We've decided that this is a once in a lifetime trip, so we're going to stay for the entire week in Orlando. (We also felt that, if we have 5 or 6 days to visit Disney, we can take our youngest for small visits of a few hours at a time, which - we hope - will prevent meltdowns!)

We're still making up our minds about where to stay, so continue with those suggestions!!!

I picked up The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and that's been invaluable - thanks for the suggestion!

We will have a car and we really want something with at least a mini-kitchen. We hope to have breakfast there (it would be great if the hotel offers a free continental breakfast!) and we want to pack sandwiches and water to take into the park for lunch. That way, we're only paying for dinners during the week, and then anything the kids buy at the gift shop, or for ice cream in the park if the weather's warm, etc.

We're really looking forward to it!!!

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!! Keep it coming!! :)

We've decided that this is a once in a lifetime trip, so we're going to stay for the entire week in Orlando. (We also felt that, if we have 5 or 6 days to visit Disney, we can take our youngest for small visits of a few hours at a time, which - we hope - will prevent meltdowns!)

We're still making up our minds about where to stay, so continue with those suggestions!!!

I picked up The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and that's been invaluable - thanks for the suggestion!

We will have a car and we really want something with at least a mini-kitchen. We hope to have breakfast there (it would be great if the hotel offers a free continental breakfast!) and we want to pack sandwiches and water to take into the park for lunch. That way, we're only paying for dinners during the week, and then anything the kids buy at the gift shop, or for ice cream in the park if the weather's warm, etc.

We're really looking forward to it!!!

Given these details, I definitely recommend you check out some of the rental homes. I can vouch for vacationcentralflorida.com properties that I mentioned earlier. They are in Windsor Hills which is a beautiful resort, not a timeshare so you won't get hassled to buy anything, and very close to WDW. I timed it and it took us 5 mins. to get to AK, parked and out of our car; it took 15 mins. to all the other parks. I can't see us getting there any faster, even if we stayed onsite at Pop like we were going to. The cost worked out to the same or cheaper than staying at a WDW value resort and we each had our own bedroom and bathroom, a full kitchen (we saved TONS of money because of this), private splashpool in the back, laundry in the house (so we would just throw a load in every night before we went to bed so we didn't go home with bags of dirty laundry to wash and could pack lighter) and was super clean and well taken care of.

Our kids are older, so we didn't do the midday break thing to come back to the townhouse, but if we wanted to we easily could have because it was so close. We had way more quiet and privacy than we would have in a WDW resort. We also had waaaaay more room (1200 sq. ft. vs. 250-300 sq. ft.) so we didn't have to worry about being quiet after the kids went to sleep, or being up super early on a non-park day since the kids could get up and get their breakfast and play a bit while we snoozed a bit longer.

I am a Disney fan and a mom to children on the spectrum, so I can give you some general experience/advice! No two children on the spectrum are the same though, as you well know! :)

First of all, when you arrive at the first park, stop by Guest Assistance. You will tell them your daughter's needs (trouble waiting in line, sensory issues, etc) and they will issue you a Guest Assistance Pass that is good for all the parks and for your entire stay. You can have up to 5 people on that pass, at least that's how it was the last time we took our spectrum kids to Disney (2006). The pass we were issued allowed us to use an alternative entrance, in most cases, it was the Fast Pass Return line. You didn't immediately get on the ride, but it was always quieter and fewer people to deal with. It made a huge difference.

We didn't stay on property because my parents took us on this trip and there were 7 people. The place we rented had a pool behind the house, and that was wonderful. We would go to the park for a few hours, then come home and swim (which was a great sensory break). I have been to Disney twice since that trip (without my autistic children) and have stayed on property which was fantastic. The only concern would be the bus rides during peak hours. We were often crammed in like sardines and there is no way my children could handle it. When we took my NT daughter for her birthday last year, we would go back to swim in the afternoon and would be the only people on the bus. But during the peak times it was awful and even she would get uncomfortable. If you'll have a car available and you could drive back to the resort if your daughter can't handle the bus situation that would be great.

At the time we went, my children with autism were 4 and 10. We went to magic kingdom and animal kingdom and spent about 3-4 hours at each park before they couldn't take any more. We rented a stroller for my little girl which was fantastic. The strollers there are big and deep and she could go in there and feel like she was in a cocoon. It also helped her not get bumped into by people, which she couldn't stand. I think they would be big enough to accommodate an average sized 7 year old.

The hardest part of the day was waiting for food. There are no Guest Assistance Passes for that! :) And it's noisy and crowded in the counter service areas. Thankfully we had 4 adults with us, and someone would take each of the kids outside and walk around while the 2 left would take the middle child, order the food, and find a place to sit. Going again, I would plan to eat at non-peak times (early or late depending on your schedule) and I would have plenty of snacks in a backpack.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, and I promised the kids we'd go for our walk before lessons! If I can help you with any other questions, or if I wasn't clear, either post here or send me a PM! :)

Oh, one more quick thing... if your daughter is crazy about princesses, I highly recommend the Bibbidy Bobbidi Boutique. My mom called to make an appt for my girls and explained my daughter's sensory needs. Back then she was so hypersensitive that she would scream that someone was hitting her if they merely brushed up against her. But they had someone doing her makeover who was incredibly gentle and who walked her through every step of the process, and let her pick which makeup she wanted and which she didn't, and did her hair not quite as tightly. It was so amazing my mom and I were sobbing through the entire thing!!

We LOVE Disney!!!

It seems like you should be able to get a better price on the room/ticket pkg, but it does depend on the dates you are traveling. We only paid about $2k for 6 days/5 nights with free dining pkg. If you know of any special deals, you have to mention them. The reservation clerks are not allowed to offer anything that you don't ask for, eg free dining. I priced our pkg out online, then called to make the reservations. As soon as you have your reservation number, call to make your restaurant reservations if you plan to eat in the park, esp if you have a dining pkg.

My kids are still talking about the food at Disney after being there last Sept. Our favorites were Wolfgang Pucks (fabulous!) and the buffet in Animal Kingdom (Tusker House or something like that). Actually, I didn't get to eat at the one in Animal Kingdom because one of my kids was sick, but dh and the other kids raved about it.

We stayed in the Port Orleans - Riverside resort. It was great to park the car and not drive again until we left.

Edited by LizzyBee

We did Disney World with an autistic child. It was wonderful.

Whichever park you do first go to guest assistance and they will give you a pass that is invaluable as others have mentioned. We also got a stroller ticket that was as helpful as the pass. It allowed my son's stroller to go anywhere a wheelchair access could go. This meant in places like play areas he had a safe place to hid out when overwhelmed. It also meant less walking and standing which is important for any small child. I would do as many days as you can of Disney. We did it that way and I don't regret it. Additional days are less expensive (significantly) anyway and then you don't feel rushed to hit everything and you have time to see favorites multiple times.

We didn't stay onsite so I can't speak to the differences there. We did stay in a place with a kitchenette which cut down on expenses and trouble as my spectrum child could eat the foods he was accustomed to from home. Make sure where you stay has shuttle service so one child and parent could leave even if the others aren't ready.

Edited by sbgrace