Menu

Deployment tips for the homeschool mom--for Apiphobic

Please list what you did during your deployment or business trips to help things go smoothly, for Apiphobic and anyone else who may need the tips.

I'll start:

paper plates

tough weeks/days we just did math and phonics/spelling

spaghettiOs and microwaved chicken nuggets for them (I had to eat a very strict allergy diet during my husband's deployment, so sadly, no quick easy food for me.)

My mom and MIL both came for a week to help out (Yes, they are helpful! If they aren't, don't invite them.)

definitely some easy food for those days you are just too tired to make dinner.

we use the cheapo paper plates and I got plastic cups (I get them both at Sam's).

Netflix movies for the kids to watch- gives them an incentive to get school work done, and they

have something 'new' to watch/look forward to.

keep the kids routine going (especially bed time), it really helps.

field trips that DH is not interested in (he tries to get at least a half-day off for some field trips so he can join us)

netflix movies for YOU that DH would not want to watch

private stash of treats for YOU

If you can, have someone watch the kids for you while you go grocery shopping.

audio books for bedtime stories

minimize laundry as much as possible- I got rid of clothes we didn't LOVE and that were anywhere near being outgrown- I HATE laundry taking over.

for the kids- it's great to have a video or audio recording of dad talking to them/reading to them.

for you- body pillows are GREAT if you are used to snuggling with DH

You have permission to decide that you are doing NO housework today (or whenever), you CAN catch up tomorrow.

You have permission to decide it is a Teacher In-Service Day.

You have permission to decide that today's school lesson is being done at Disneyland/?? park.

You have permission to decide that today's school lesson is a social experiment where you go design a meal at the commissary.

Blue's Clues, Word Girl, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, and the like are actually beneficial to your children's education and future life..... if for no other reason than that you aren't likely to lock them (or yourself) in a closet.

You have permission to eat with paper plates, and plastic cups, and plastic spoons for weeks at a time.

You have permission to wear jammies all day long, if you feel dirty, take a shower and put on a clean pair of jammies.

Biggest thing: if you feel the need to get permission, come here and I'm sure someone will grant it!!!!

OH!! And, given the fact that you are looking at an international move in 3 months (btw, are you doing that ALONE?!?!??!!? No dh?!?!), you should continue all of the above until you actually move into your home. Which is likely to take awhile, the average Lodge stay here is 2-3 weeks.

Kris

My husband just returned from a deployment. We mostly just did things that don't happen when he's around! We read books, watched movies and ate food he doesn't like. We spent hours at the library (he gets restless after twenty minutes or so). The kids camped out in the living room on Friday nights and played video games until 3:00 in the morning. We spent an entire month at my mother's. (I realize that not everyone would consider that a vacation. ;) ) I kept up my blog, and posted lots of pictures in a private section of the site. Skype is awesome (if it's available in his area)! I froze dinners in advance, and we got to know our pizza delivery guy pretty well.

As for homeschooling, it's fine to just do the basics - we often stopped after math and Latin, and devoted the rest of the day to stories, chess, documentaries and messy projects. We dissected a lot of animals while my husband was away.

Well, the guy at the Mexican food restaurant near our house got to know us REALLY well. He even stopped taking our order at some point and just brought us the usual. He worried about us when I went home for a month. :D

Oh and see my avatar? It's from the last time my husband was gone for several months. I'm drinking a Mike's in the pic. I have a matching one of me with a cupcake. I took them one night to show my hubby what I was having for dinner.

I totally agree with finding someone you can really trust and swap kids for grocery shopping. It makes life so much easier.

Make girl dates. Even if you just go to each other's houses and hang out.

Hire a yard guy.

If you can find a good babysitter - splurge for one night a week just to be alone. The bookstore is heavenly with no kids.

It doesn't matter if your kids choose to sleep naked. Even the big kids. And a baby who runs around naked really cuts down on laundry.

Travel if you can. Do the fun things that dh would have no interest in or wouldn't be able to take the time to do with you.

If someone offers help - ACCEPT IT! Dh's first deployment I had a friend come over to take care of some of the kids while I took one to the er. ALL of my dirty laundry was piled in the floor of our school room. We're talking knee-deep laundry. I closed the door and told them not to open it. They did anyway and came the next day and took all of my laundry. they brought it back to me washed and folded. Pride would never have allowed me to ask for that kind of help.

School is easily done in the car on the way to visit family.

Tears are really very rejuvenating when you are at the end of your rope.

Definately use paper plates whenever possible.

Cereal can safely be eaten for every meal for at least 3 days with no ill side effects.

Barilla makes a "pasta plus" which counts as a meat serving in my book. Add a few raw veggies and ranch and you have a very well rounded meal.

Nothing is permanent. All of the bad habits you or your children acquire while dh is gone will be fixable when he returns.

That's all I have right now. Dh just got home two weeks ago and we're still in the sleep late, do nothing, watch movies all night binge. Real life will have to begin soon, but I'm enjoying life right now.

Do not read Stephen King before bed. Or watch scary movies!:D

I can't stand to watch scary movies. But The Ring had just come out on video during one deployment. I rented it TWICE and turned it off after the phone started ringing in the very first scene, both times! Durrr, you think I would have learned after the first time.

Yes! Our lives were so much easier once I broke down and hired someone. :001_smile:

The yard guy I had the first time my hubby was deployed showed up at my door one morning. He didn't realize there was a houseful of husbandless women who had been drinking mimosas there. He did almost all of the yards on my block for a year. :D

pssst-mommytobees, I just love Major Winters. *sigh* :D

I don't cook! Cold lunch type food, soup. mac & cheese, or quesadillas are frequently on the "menu."

I stay home a lot. It stresses me out to take all the kids out much, so we stay home. Field trips can wait for when I have an extra set of hands. I take them to the park and that's about it, although I need to take them to the zoo & science museum soon.

My oldest watches the boys when I go to the grocery store. I love the freedom.

One deployment I went on a diet and got skinny. I don't have the energy for that this time, though.

Soon I'll start thinking about a family vacation, but he's still got 8 mths. before he comes home.

I don't have anything constructive to add. My husband is a photographer who will sleep late with me and come home for lunch when I ask him to.

I just want to say that I admire you all; the women who keep their families running while their husbands keep our country safe. Thank you. THANK YOU!!

In addition to all the great advice you've already gotten, I'd like to add these:

Meet friends for lunch out regularly... especially places where kids can play while you talk.

Write lots of letters. Yes skype is great, but nothing beats an old fashioned letter... especially those that take a week to finish and take on more of a journal feel.

It's OK to set the kids up with breakfast & TV then go back to bed (or couch) after staying up too late writing said letters or talking on skype.

I went through 4 deployments before "d"h and I separated so :grouphug: to you.

The yard guy I had the first time my hubby was deployed showed up at my door one morning. He didn't realize there was a houseful of husbandless women who had been drinking mimosas there. He did almost all of the yards on my block for a year. :D

pssst-mommytobees, I just love Major Winters. *sigh* :D

LOL, me too!!! *sigh*

Kris

Don't feel bad about going out for dinner.

Teach yourself something fun in the evenings, like crochet or knitting - get a DVD lesson or just a book.

Scale back on how much you do "homemade" -- like if you always make your own bread, don't feel so awful if you just can't do it as often. It's not going to kill you to buy it from the store.

Accept help from friends and dh's co-workers -- yard work, maintenance, etc.

It's been said before, but fill up that Netflix queue with stuff YOU want to see! Go ahead -- have a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks romantic comedy-a-thon. It's okay!

Use that crock pot.

Get out of the house for field trips.

Utilize those twice a week free phone calls to dh.

If you are a church-goer, get into a Ladies Bible Study with some NON-MILITARY SPOUSES. It helps to get away from it sometimes. Although, having those military spouses around is awfully nice, too :)

Order tons of good books...the nights sometimes get long.;)

Take a trip...I did this past weekend and boy do I feel better. :auto:

Go to an easier schedule. I reduced my school week to 4 days for the second nine-weeks. It's fall and I love to travel in the fall.

Stock the freezer with convience food. The kids and I are eating loads of weight watcher and lean cuisine meals.

Do something fun every week. It gives you something to look forward to.

Keep a journal...I write each night before going to bed what we did that day and anything funny I want to remember to tell hubby.

Were going on month 4 of 12 here...I hope these months will pass quickly.

Please list what you did during your deployment or business trips to help things go smoothly, for Apiphobic and anyone else who may need the tips.

This is awesome, you guys! Thanks so much for starting this thread, ElizabethB.

I'll start:

paper plates

Reminds me of the week we had company. I had the brilliant idea of inviting a couple of my twins' friends to stay with us for a week before school started, which meant late nights and hectic days. They had a blast, so it really was worth it. These were friends they'd met at our last base and both families moved to this state, so we try to see them every few months. They live 3 1/2 hours away, so it's a long drive but great to see them. However, I am most certainly NOT used to feeding 5 growing teenagers!

tough weeks/days we just did math and phonics/spelling

Here I thought we were just starting very slowly with our school and gradually phasing in more subjects. :D

spaghettiOs and microwaved chicken nuggets for them (I had to eat a very strict allergy diet during my husband's deployment, so sadly, no quick easy food for me.)

Yes, we've definitely had many nights with simple simple SIMPLE dinners.

My mom and MIL both came for a week to help out (Yes, they are helpful! If they aren't, don't invite them.)

My mom retires in December, so my parents and my grandma have already been voluntold that they'll be spending Christmas with us.

definitely some easy food for those days you are just too tired to make dinner.

we use the cheapo paper plates and I got plastic cups (I get them both at Sam's).

Netflix movies for the kids to watch- gives them an incentive to get school work done, and they have something 'new' to watch/look forward to.

keep the kids routine going (especially bed time), it really helps.

field trips that DH is not interested in (he tries to get at least a half-day off for some field trips so he can join us)

netflix movies for YOU that DH would not want to watch

private stash of treats for YOU

If you can, have someone watch the kids for you while you go grocery shopping.

audio books for bedtime stories

minimize laundry as much as possible- I got rid of clothes we didn't LOVE and that were anywhere near being outgrown- I HATE laundry taking over.

for the kids- it's great to have a video or audio recording of dad talking to them/reading to them.

for you- body pillows are GREAT if you are used to snuggling with DH

I've noticed a change in our netflix queue, but I haven't used it yet as a motivator. Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Oldest dd was just telling me the other day that routines weren't good because our brain doesn't function at full capacity when we fall into a rut. You just go through the motions. I don't know where she got that, but I thought it was interesting. Or do you think she was trying to pull one over on me? :tongue_smilie:

I do have a private stash of treats but, unfortunately, I often forget where I put it. :001_huh:

They all love to listen to audio CD's before bedtime. Sometimes I wonder if they'd be able to fall asleep without them.

HA! Laundry! Yes, it does seem like Mt Kilimanjaro sometimes.

I think a weeding out clothes day sounds good.

I'll have to try the body pillow. I've noticed I'm not sleeping well, but I thought it was the cats and dogs dictating their feeding schedules.

You have permission to decide that you are doing NO housework today (or whenever), you CAN catch up tomorrow.

You have permission to decide it is a Teacher In-Service Day.

You have permission to decide that today's school lesson is being done at Disneyland/?? park.

You have permission to decide that today's school lesson is a social experiment where you go design a meal at the commissary.

Blue's Clues, Word Girl, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, and the like are actually beneficial to your children's education and future life..... if for no other reason than that you aren't likely to lock them (or yourself) in a closet.

You have permission to eat with paper plates, and plastic cups, and plastic spoons for weeks at a time.

You have permission to wear jammies all day long, if you feel dirty, take a shower and put on a clean pair of jammies.

Biggest thing: if you feel the need to get permission, come here and I'm sure someone will grant it!!!!

OH!! And, given the fact that you are looking at an international move in 3 months (btw, are you doing that ALONE?!?!??!!? No dh?!?!), you should continue all of the above until you actually move into your home. Which is likely to take awhile, the average Lodge stay here is 2-3 weeks.

Kris

LOL @ your permission slip!

No, we're not moving until next summer and it's not an international move. I think you have me confused with the navy lady who's moving to Yokusuka. Dh has been hinting that I could probably handle the TMO stuff, get our household goods packed up, and go to the new base to check out our housing options before he gets back. I think he might be suffering from sunstroke.

My husband just returned from a deployment. We mostly just did things that don't happen when he's around! We read books, watched movies and ate food he doesn't like. We spent hours at the library (he gets restless after twenty minutes or so). The kids camped out in the living room on Friday nights and played video games until 3:00 in the morning. We spent an entire month at my mother's. (I realize that not everyone would consider that a vacation. ;) ) I kept up my blog, and posted lots of pictures in a private section of the site. Skype is awesome (if it's available in his area)! I froze dinners in advance, and we got to know our pizza delivery guy pretty well.

As for homeschooling, it's fine to just do the basics - we often stopped after math and Latin, and devoted the rest of the day to stories, chess, documentaries and messy projects. We dissected a lot of animals while my husband was away.

This sounds just like us!

And I would love to spend a month or so at my parents' house. We did that in April/May when dh was supposed to be TDY. Turned out it was canceled but we went anyway, and he joined us for the last couple of weeks.

Well, the guy at the Mexican food restaurant near our house got to know us REALLY well. He even stopped taking our order at some point and just brought us the usual. He worried about us when I went home for a month. :D

Oh and see my avatar? It's from the last time my husband was gone for several months. I'm drinking a Mike's in the pic. I have a matching one of me with a cupcake. I took them one night to show my hubby what I was having for dinner.

I totally agree with finding someone you can really trust and swap kids for grocery shopping. It makes life so much easier.

Make girl dates. Even if you just go to each other's houses and hang out.

Hire a yard guy.

Okay, I just started bolding the stuff that made me laugh. Otherwise I'm cutting and pasting and quoting and seeing cross-eyed.

Loved your Mike's reference. Dc were wondering if maybe I was drinking B&J sangrias a little too often these days.

Dh laughed when I mentioned the idea of hiring a yard guy. He said we have three able-bodied teens to do the yard work. (They don't mind mowing the lawn, but they hate weeding the flower beds. I personally like the weed whacker. I don't think I want to dig too deeply to discover why.)

If you can find a good babysitter - splurge for one night a week just to be alone. The bookstore is heavenly with no kids.

It doesn't matter if your kids choose to sleep naked. Even the big kids. And a baby who runs around naked really cuts down on laundry.

Travel if you can. Do the fun things that dh would have no interest in or wouldn't be able to take the time to do with you.

If someone offers help - ACCEPT IT! Dh's first deployment I had a friend come over to take care of some of the kids while I took one to the er. ALL of my dirty laundry was piled in the floor of our school room. We're talking knee-deep laundry. I closed the door and told them not to open it. They did anyway and came the next day and took all of my laundry. they brought it back to me washed and folded. Pride would never have allowed me to ask for that kind of help.

School is easily done in the car on the way to visit family.

Tears are really very rejuvenating when you are at the end of your rope.

Definitely use paper plates whenever possible.

Cereal can safely be eaten for every meal for at least 3 days with no ill side effects.

Barilla makes a "pasta plus" which counts as a meat serving in my book. Add a few raw veggies and ranch and you have a very well rounded meal.

Nothing is permanent. All of the bad habits you or your children acquire while dh is gone will be fixable when he returns.

That's all I have right now. Dh just got home two weeks ago and we're still in the sleep late, do nothing, watch movies all night binge. Real life will have to begin soon, but I'm enjoying life right now.

So glad your dh is home and you're enjoying yourselves! :grouphug:

Do not read Stephen King before bed. Or watch scary movies!:D

LOL That reminds me of one of dh's earlier deployments. I had a 5 yo and two 2 yo's. No air conditioning and it's the middle of summer in Japan (read hot and humid). I'm reading a book about Ted Bundy. Our bedrooms were on the second floor and we lived on-base, so I usually left the windows open at night to let the cool air in. When I read that book, I just couldn't do it. Even though it was unbearably hot and we were probably very safe on-base, I just couldn't do it. The windows were closed and locked every night.

I 'unschooled' during the last deployment. Read a lot and we traveled quite a bit. Spent time with the grandparents. My children were 3, 4 and 8 for the last deployment so really didn't do much formal schooling to begin with.

I hope dc have some wonderful memories of that time. The deployment I mentioned just above is the same one where dc and I got out and did a lot of sightseeing in Japan. I have pictures galore, but I think only my oldest remembers any of it.

I don't cook! Cold lunch type food, soup. mac & cheese, or quesadillas are frequently on the "menu."

I stay home a lot. It stresses me out to take all the kids out much, so we stay home. Field trips can wait for when I have an extra set of hands. I take them to the park and that's about it, although I need to take them to the zoo & science museum soon.

My oldest watches the boys when I go to the grocery store. I love the freedom.

One deployment I went on a diet and got skinny. I don't have the energy for that this time, though.

Soon I'll start thinking about a family vacation, but he's still got 8 mths. before he comes home.

:grouphug: to you!

When my dh was deployed I would invite my boyfriends over. Almost every night.

Ben and Jerry.

:D

I don't have anything constructive to add. My husband is a photographer who will sleep late with me and come home for lunch when I ask him to.

I just want to say that I admire you all; the women who keep their families running while their husbands keep our country safe. Thank you. THANK YOU!!

I second that. :iagree:

In addition to all the great advice you've already gotten, I'd like to add these:

Meet friends for lunch out regularly... especially places where kids can play while you talk.

Write lots of letters. Yes skype is great, but nothing beats an old fashioned letter... especially those that take a week to finish and take on more of a journal feel.

It's OK to set the kids up with breakfast & TV then go back to bed (or couch) after staying up too late writing said letters or talking on skype.

I went through 4 deployments before "d"h and I separated so :grouphug: to you.

:grouphug:

Don't feel bad about going out for dinner.

Teach yourself something fun in the evenings, like crochet or knitting - get a DVD lesson or just a book.

Scale back on how much you do "homemade" -- like if you always make your own bread, don't feel so awful if you just can't do it as often. It's not going to kill you to buy it from the store.

Accept help from friends and dh's co-workers -- yard work, maintenance, etc.

It's been said before, but fill up that Netflix queue with stuff YOU want to see! Go ahead -- have a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks romantic comedy-a-thon. It's okay!

Use that crock pot.

Get out of the house for field trips.

Utilize those twice a week free phone calls to dh.

If you are a church-goer, get into a Ladies Bible Study with some NON-MILITARY SPOUSES. It helps to get away from it sometimes. Although, having those military spouses around is awfully nice, too :)

Thank you!

Order tons of good books...the nights sometimes get long.

Take a trip...I did this past weekend and boy do I feel better.

Go to an easier schedule. I reduced my school week to 4 days for the second nine-weeks. It's fall and I love to travel in the fall.

Stock the freezer with convenience food. The kids and I are eating loads of weight watcher and lean cuisine meals.

Do something fun every week. It gives you something to look forward to.

Keep a journal...I write each night before going to bed what we did that day and anything funny I want to remember to tell hubby.

Were going on month 4 of 12 here...I hope these months will pass quickly.

:grouphug: to you!

Oh! Now I get it. I kept coming back to this thread to read the information and wonder why we we're giving deployment tips to people that were scared of bees. Very confusing. Now I get it though - Apiphobic is a person. Geez. Sometimes I need to just return to bed with a good book and cupcake.

Lots of good ideas here.

We lived abroad for four years and I brought one idea back with me that has helped me hang on for long periods without DH: a cook.

Now, obviously back in the US we couldn't afford the 4 days a week housekeeper we had in Russia. But I managed to find a terrific woman who comes to our house once a week and cooks for three hours. She makes three entrees, three sides and a soup. Some of the entrees she just preps and I toss in the oven or on the grill so they are fresher when served (reheated food never tastes that good!). Two nights before she comes we eat all the leftovers, and the night before she come we have a roasted chicken (a favorite and so easy) and use the remains to make an overnight stock in the crockpot that she uses the next day.

I pay this great woman about what I would pay a babysitter for 4 hours of babysitting. Finding her was a trick because I was new to the area when I was looking, but she just responded to an ad I placed in the local newspaper. She's less expensive than a dinner out, and a greater value to me than a cleaner or a baby sitter. It takes a huge weight off my shoulders.

HTH!

LOL @ your permission slip!

No, we're not moving until next summer and it's not an international move. I think you have me confused with the navy lady who's moving to Yokusuka. Dh has been hinting that I could probably handle the TMO stuff, get our household goods packed up, and go to the new base to check out our housing options before he gets back. I think he might be suffering from sunstroke.

Ohooo!! LOL, oops!!

Kris

My dh has never been deployed in 22 years of the military but he has more than made up for it with all the tdys he has had. ALl those years everyone else had husbands home, I didn't. And when I mean tdy's, most of the time they were not occasional but very constant like every SUnday-Friday or 4 month tdys, or like he is doing now fly out on Monday, return on Saturday fly out on Sunday, etc. I have found it to be less disruptive to our routines to just have him gone for longer.

Tips from 22 years-

Easier meals, restaurants, pre-cooked foods, etc.\

When my kids were little this one was more important - time by myself. I would find base daycare for my youngest and gymnastics night for the olders and go out to a movie or a bookstore by myself.

I also second the idea of Netflix movies, books, etc, that you want to read or see.

Get hired help as you can afford. Lawn care, cleaning service, whatever you need. If he is deployed, you probably can afford it on the tax savings.

Tell people at your church so they can help. Some churches have special ministries for the spouses of the deployed like car care, or some minor home repair.

IF it isn't long wait, ,move holidays and birthdays around and do them together. Our family is always celebrating some holiday or someone's birthday at an alternate date so dh can be part of the celebration,

If, like me, you live far away from the commissary, see about getting at least some shopping done for you at a local grocery. Our local groceries will do the shopping for you and you can come pick it up or get it delievered for 10. I plan on doing that this fall and winter if my arthritis is acting up.

DITTOing the simple meals. We do lots of spaghetti, quesadillas, sandwiches, toast and eggs, etc. when dh is deployed. We go through lots of cheap paper plates. The kids participate in more activities when dh is gone because it keeps us all busy and takes our minds off of how much we miss him.

Our base has a program where spouses of deployed service members can get 10 free hours of child care per month at the CDC (I think it's ten hours per month, per child actually but I'd have to check up on it). I will definetely take advantage when my dh is deployed.

Having girlfriends to hang out with is the best and most helpful for me when dh is deployed. I'm kinda sorta worried that I won't make any close girlfriends before he deploys in the spring but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We don't live on base or even in the town adjacent to the base so it is a bit challenging to network with the other wives.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Egads, I forgot to give my big tip for handling deployments, TDYs, or dh/dw out-of-town.

Enroll dc in public school.

:lol:

Just kidding. Really.

Our decision to enroll our oldest was made before we found out about this deployment, and we even considered not doing it because of the associated move when dh returns.

I will add one thing that hasn't been mentioned here. And take this with a grain of salt, because it might work for some people and not for others. I've found that having a pet or two can actually be very comforting for dc. Okay, okay, also for myself.

Of course, for some people, having a pet might be more work for you. I mean, who usually ends up feeding and taking care of the pet/s? This is true, and sometimes I gripe about the hassles involved with four-legged furry friends in the house, but I'm also very glad to have them in our family.

I was surprised when a friend mentioned that you can get a waiver to the "no pets" rule in some housing rentals if you have a signed document from your doctor. I think she had PTSD and her cats were considered therapeutic and good for stress release. She also said something about the cats' purring being helpful somehow.

I know some people enjoy digging in their flowers beds and/or gardens and find that soothing and therapeutic. I haven't quite figured that out yet. :)

Just wanted to share this Amazon wish list, because it has some good suggestions. Dh's favorites right now are the BodyGlide Anti-Chafing stick, the 5-hour energy drinks, Tootsie Roll pops, and an NFL Mr Potato Head.

Deployment care package

I'd also sent some posters to put up in his room. Some of his favorites:

Movie Quotes

The Wisdom of Einstein

Journey of a Thousand Miles

Instructions for Life

Zelda Wisdom

Tropical Beach

These were from Adam Hersh Posters at Amazon, and they had a special where the fourth poster was free if you bought four. (Remember to enter the code.) The prices weren't bad but the shipping is what gets you.

I'd ordered 16 posters from Adam Hersch/Amazon (split into 4 different orders to get the free posters), and there were three missing when he got them. When I emailed the seller, they promptly sent replacements and refunded the amount of shipping for the two orders that had the missing posters. It was also shipped much quicker than I expected, so I was very happy with those transactions.

I was also surprised to find that most of this stuff could be shipped to Iraq. I don't think you could do that before.

I also got some posters from AllPosters.com:

Murphy's Law

Bang Head Here

Chief

Hmm, I just noticed a differences in prices when I got the links for the posters. I think I got lucky on the sales. There's a 10% discount on first time orders. (Don't forget to enter the code when you check out.) Unfortunately, when I entered the zip code for the shipping address, it kept changing it to another zip code. So after placing the order, I had to email them to give them the correct zip code. They took a little bit longer to ship.

He asked for outdoor wilderness pictures and most of them were, but I had fun picking out a bunch of others, too.

When I get ready to send more, he said they're asking for sugar-free Red Bull drinks, s'mores pop tarts, and lollipops. They're also really getting into football season, so anything football related is game.

I thought these football smashers would be cute.

Whew! I hope this posts okay, because I gotta go and don't have time to proofread.

Make time for yourself every day. I didn't learn that one until my husband was in Iraq this last time. I had a set bedtime for the kids (2 of the 3 were in public school) and I stuck to that militantly (lol). Once they were in bed, that was my time. I could read, watch movies, knit (I learned while my husband was deployed), sew or talk on the phone. My days went much more smoothly, knowing I had some uninterrupted down time coming.