Menu

I love "The Elements"

nmoira

Looks like fun when my kids are older.

Right now my children are enjoying RS4K chemistry. Every few weeks they'll think of a new thing to ask if it's made up of atoms or not, even the 4 year old asks occasionally. It's also fun to watch people's reactions as he tells them very seriously about things he knows are made of atoms. "That's made of atoms."

Mom, is the moon made of atoms?

Milk? Bones? Water? Steam?

Looks like fun when my kids are older.

Right now my children are enjoying RS4K chemistry. Every few weeks they'll think of a new thing to ask if it's made up of atoms or not, even the 4 year old asks occasionally. It's also fun to watch people's reactions as he tells them very seriously about things he knows are made of atoms. "That's made of atoms."

Mom, is the moon made of atoms?

Milk? Bones? Water? Steam?

I'm just finishing RS4K pre level 1 chem with my 5 yr old and he does the same thing. He loves it. My almost 3 yr old has been carrying around the level 1 chem book and drawing circles that are connected in the shape of the molecular bonds like they are in the book. He thinks he is doing school. It is quite funny. I have elements to do too, but we will wait a while. My friend is doing it with here gifted kinder who has an extreme interest in Chem. I thought we'd try it since my kinder is advanced, but he is not that advanced, so we'll do it in a yr or so. He really likes Chem, but his specialty is Anatomy and Physiology.

I'm just finishing RS4K pre level 1 chem with my 5 yr old and he does the same thing. He loves it. My almost 3 yr old has been carrying around the level 1 chem book and drawing circles that are connected in the shape of the molecular bonds like they are in the book. He thinks he is doing school. It is quite funny.

That is funny!

Who knew chemistry could be that fun. I'm enjoying it now, I didn't in high school or college.

Does this overlap the materials in RS4K Chem I? IOW, if a child has already completed the RS4k Chemistry I, would it be worth the investment?
I just browsed through RS4K online. The scope of The Elements is significantly less than that of RS4K Chem I. The Elements covers:

The definition of an element, the structure of an atom, the invention of the Periodic Table by Mendeleyev, chemical formulas, electron orbitals and shells, the octet rule, arrangement of elements on the Periodic Table, atomic bonding (covalent, ionic and metallic), plus an up-close look at the families on the table: alkali metals, alkali earth metals, transition metals, true metals, non-metals, halogens, noble gases, and lanthanides and actinides.

However it goes into greater depth. Valence is discussed in detail and its relation to periodicity (and the relation of the electron orbitals to valence and periodicity) is explored and is presented in such a way that the nature of the different bonds can be anticipated by the student. There are a number of games which familiarize the student with names, symbols, properties, valance, and uses of the elements. We're going to follow up with Carbon Chemistry and The Elements II... and I was excited to see that the sample chapter of her upcoming botany unit jumps right into the chemistry of photosynthesis and respiration.

Edited by nmoira
spelling