Menu

Do you give your children grades?

We give grades. Two main reasons...

1. I think grades (GPA) are required for colleges to accept the transcripts.

2. Colleges give grades and high school is a good time to let the teens get used to getting grades. They likely will be doing exams and getting grades throughout life. Once start a career, often times will continue learning new things and taking exams to be recertified, etc.

Another reason is that it just is easy for me to keep track of how they are doing and gives them a concrete way of seeing for themselves how they are doing. It is easy for them to see right away if they are learning... If they take a World History quiz or math test and score less than a 90% then they know they are missing something (either they don't fully understand or they are making simple mistakes due to not paying attention).

Keeping grades helps show them a pattern over time. If they are thinking they are working hard and are getting an overall grade of 80% then they need to rethink about if they truly are doing their best all the time. There is a pattern that is easier to see if they see scores for math quizzes/test of say 90%, 70%, 88%, 95%, 75%, 99%, 80% and so on.... that averages out to 85%. They may think they are doing real well because they had mostly good scores, but in reality they are far from it. So it gives them a reality check. It helps them see how a few low scores can hurt their overall grade.

Just my take on it....

I give grades, but probably not in a *traditional* manner. I grade everything he has done, and his final tests, but his final grade (the one going on the transcript) is a combination of those numeric tests, how much effort he put into the course, and what his attitude was. :glare:

His attitude for his instrument sucked last year. Unfortunately (fortunately?) he performed very well, and did well with his outside lessons. I gave him a B instead of an A simply because his attitude was unbearable all year!

a

Yes.

his final grade (the one going on the transcript) is a combination of those numeric tests, how much effort he put into the course, and what his attitude was.

I'm doing a similar thing. I'm writing course descriptions for every course which include my grading standard -- tests, homework, papers, whatnot. Each and every course has an explicit component called "Neatness/Quality/Attitude" that is worth up to 10% of the grade. My plan is to periodically point out how a good attitude could very well tip the final grade higher ... I think ds can connect those dots. :)

Karen

I really don't think I can be objective, and I don't think I can accurately write exams that are fair. Besides--if she gets problems wrong or doesn't do as well as we think she can, she needs to redo the work.

She'll have grades from some official provincial on-line classes and a few university courses, and she'll have SAT and SAT subject scores. I'm hoping that's enough answer the "how good a student is she" concern of universities.

No.

I feel grades stifle a child's creativity. If a child follows the grading plan they will work hard to show you what they know. But they will not take risks, or venture a new insight on a topic. To get good marks consistently you need to study what those before you have studied and present it back in a coherent, grammatical and logical fashion.One gets credits for telling what other people have thought about a topic.

They will not take risks. Risks result a whole new way of thinking about a topic, or they result in a glorious failure. Any bright child, knowing themselves to be graded will go the safe route. Even if they prove their new idea, there is no way of knowing if the reader will understand or accept it. Scientists often have a hard time getting their peers to accept new evidence if it goes against the current stream of thinking.

Think for a moment about taking up a new hobby, say quilting. If you knew every step would result in a grade, you would take the work slowly and carefully, you would stay with tried and trusted patterns, use the accepted way of putting colours together. Your quilts might be technically perfect, but they would lack originality.

I want my children to be leaders, innovators.They cannot do this by following carefully what has gone before, they have to learn to take risks, to accept that glorious failure, and learn from it, build on it, to take it and turn the embryo idea into a working model.

The only argument for grades is that college is a closed minded place. If you NEED a college education to get where you are going (rather than desire one for the kudos) them you need to know how to regurgitate what the lecturer wants to see. This however can be taught to an average child in rather less than a year. They then have to decide if they want to do what they want to do enough to accept college with all its limitations. It is not until Phd level that colleges begin to accept original thinking.

I apologize to those who know of open minded colleges. Apparently they do exist. I simply have no personal experience of them.

Willow.

No - not each assignment, but I did on the transcript. I had my ds make corrections to any written work. I also returned his work to him and discussed it with him. I have even handed work back to him and told him that it wasn't good enough and to put some effort into it. I didn't give him A's in math on his transcript because he didn't do A level work in math, ever. He got grades from his cc classes and his SAT and ACT scores provided a consistent picture of his work even though I only gave final grades for transcripts and not for any single assignment.

Yes.

I'm doing a similar thing. I'm writing course descriptions for every course which include my grading standard -- tests, homework, papers, whatnot. Each and every course has an explicit component called "Neatness/Quality/Attitude" that is worth up to 10% of the grade. My plan is to periodically point out how a good attitude could very well tip the final grade higher ... I think ds can connect those dots. :)

Karen

BRILLIANT!!! I plan to steal -- I mean implement -- this, starting immediately.

My 8th grader will be doing two classes for high school credit this year, Algebra 1 and 1/2 credit of Latin 1, and I'm contemplating whether to assign grades on the transcript or not. I really like the way we've been doing things, without grades, but discussing and correcting work. I'm also afraid that I would be sorely tempted to not grade my ds objectively, because his is my own kid, but also because I really have no one with which to compare him. I am thinking in particular about writing assignments. I know what is "A" level work for him, but not what would earn him an "A" in a classroom. Lastly, the thought of trying to keep up with grading and recording all his work makes me quite tense.

How did you decide what grade to give your student on his transcript? Did you take into consideration how rigorous the resources were? Did you consider how much effort he put into the work? Anything else I need to consider?

Sort-of. My oldest child is in 5th grade. He gets grades on English and Math tests and quizzes. I do not test in History or Science and do not keep records of any reviews in Spanish. He is a struggling writer, so I give him a score of 1-5 based on a list of factors. I think A-F would upset him whereas a 2 or 3 doesn't seem to do much more than make him work harder.

In highschool, though, this will change. At that level, I think the child needs to know how they are doing and what they can improve as much as the teacher. He will get more grades and I will be more picky when he gets to that level.

My 8th grader will be doing two classes for high school credit this year, Algebra 1 and 1/2 credit of Latin 1, and I'm contemplating whether to assign grades on the transcript or not. I really like the way we've been doing things, without grades, but discussing and correcting work. I'm also afraid that I would be sorely tempted to not grade my ds objectively, because his is my own kid, but also because I really have no one with which to compare him. I am thinking in particular about writing assignments. I know what is "A" level work for him, but not what would earn him an "A" in a classroom. Lastly, the thought of trying to keep up with grading and recording all his work makes me quite tense.

How did you decide what grade to give your student on his transcript? Did you take into consideration how rigorous the resources were? Did you consider how much effort he put into the work? Anything else I need to consider?

You are considering all of the things I considered. My ds also had friends that were in public high school in honors and AP classes and I saw the level of work and grades that they had.

I did give him A's in his English and history classes because they were rigorous, and he read a lot, and we discussed it a lot. He did very few papers, but I am terrible at grading his writing - I just think he is a terrific writer. When he too cc classes, his professors agreed with me so that gave me some confidence.

He only earned 1 A in math during his whole high school career. He is quite capable, but lazy and doesn't like math. His SAT scores in math were lower than his verbal, and I don't think that they justified A's on the transcript. He bumbled through the assignments and I had him do all of his corrections but I didn't give him a single grade.

I've got to run, but hopefully this helps to clarify. I think you can honestly assess without grading everything.

We are on the college track with all 3 of our boys, so yes we give grades - and tests - and papers. We need them for transcripts.

Their grades consist of their test work and papers... all other 'homework' or study guide 'stuff' is for their own edification and not graded - just corrected and discussed. We grade with an actual number - percentage correct, but also have it worked out to A, B, C, etc., for colleges that prefer that.

THEN, when it comes time to apply for college (which for us, is now with my oldest), I'm finding myself tweaking the transcript. Since I work in the ps, I know teachers there give extra credit (in general) as well as credit for homework completion, etc. I don't need my students to have a lower assessment of them than they would if they had come from ps - esp when it comes to thoughts of scholarships.

That said, the transcript does NOT show my son better than he is. For example, his test scores (national - SAT) show him to be in the top 96% nationally. I don't mind tweaking his Consumer Math grade up to a 96 or 97% since what he missed on tests were minute details on statistics. In hindsight, I'd have not counted those questions at the time, but I was a newbie. He knew the concepts - but might have picked 77% of adults (for something) instead of 81% of adults. That's too picky in my mind. It wasn't a poor calculation, that would have been different... it was a case of not realizing he'd need to know the specifics of stats on a topic - 'how many people,' etc. True math problems in that course he got correct (we kept the tests). I don't need colleges seeing him get an 89% in Consumer Math when he gets high A's in all of his others... We tweaked it by giving him credit for homework completed - much as ps would have.

For Chem, on the other hand, he is low A material - he got a 93% overall (without counting homework, etc), so we're leaving it just as it is. I don't want some college thinking he knows 97 or 98% of that course when he didn't.

In the end, his transcript matches his national testing... and to be honest, his math grade was the only one that needed tweaking...

I think as a homeschooler that it's very helpful to college admissions people if you speak their language. And a big part of their language is grades.

I didn't get grades in college. Instead, my transcript consisted of a thick stack of evaluations. What was ridiculous was that each evaluation could be easily translated into a grade. If they used words like "excellent" then it was an A, "good" was a B, "fair" was a C, and "poor" was a D. When I applied to medical school, several people at various schools told me when I interviewed that they were less than thrilled to have to read them.

So I am giving my son grades. And in a several areas I'm struggling with appropriate grading (essays, geometry proofs, are the science tests I write difficult enough, that sort of thing). But I'm forging ahead anyway.

This is the first year I've given my children grades. I don't grade everything, but I grade R&S Math tests and CLE Lightunit quizzes and tests. If we weren't using curriculum that gave tests and quizzes, I'm sure I wouldn't be grading this year either. I have been surprised how motivating grades are to my daughter, though. She is always very anxious for me to grade her tests right away.

Lisa

ETA: Okay, I didn't realize this post was coming from the high school board. My kids are only in 2nd and 4th grades.

Edited by LisaTheresa

Thats the idea behind what I did. My ds's transcript grades matched his national testing and his cc grades. btw, in his university coursework now he is getting excellent grades (a 4.0 last semester :) ) and even squeaked out a B in his college math. He is doing just fine in an environment in which he is graded on everything and even in the classes where he only gets two grades for the whole semester - one for a project and one for the final. He understands the difference between giving his best effort and squeaking by.

So, there's no way around it?

I can't just assign credits, and explain that my student worked to mastery of each subject?

Personally, I think you can. There's nothing to stop you from assigning grades on a scale such as:

A ... Mastery

B ... Making progress

C ...

D ...

F ...

or

A ... Excellent

B ... Very Good

C ...

D ...

F ...

or something else along those lines. You're the homeschooling parent, the teacher, the principal -- you're permitted to make and use whatever grading scale seems reasonable to you. You can note it in a Key on your transcript and address the details in your school profile or counselor letter. (It would add credibility to your grades though if any out of the home graded classes or test scores corroborate your grades.)

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

And I'm not planning on giving my youngest grades. BUT he had SAT scores and some CC classes for colleges to judge him by. My older one got into a state school. My plan with the younger one is to give colleges an ungraded transcript, and then if they request grades, I will assign ones based on how well I feel he mastered the material and how much material was covered. They will be rather subjective, but even if I graded papers as I went along and gave tests, they would be. I think grades would be more a reflection of my ability as an assignment-giver and test-writer and grader than my sons' knowledge of the material. I am bad at those things. I know. I have tried. I have no basis of comparison. It would discourage my sons from trying things they don't know ahead of time will work. I have lots of reasons. I have no idea if I can get the second one into college this way too, but I intend to try. It worked just fine with the older one, to my vast relief GRIN.

-Nan

Nan, it's all pretty subjective anyway regardless. I mean, what one teacher scores as an A+ paper another might give a C+ or B-. I had one year, the one I actually learned something btw, that I scored much lower in English. And then in History, the coach would give this one girl top scores for her essay tests mostly because she was interesting and creative. The stories were great and did suggest mastery of the sujbect matter, but he would let it go if she missed certain points that just didn't fit into her style. I personally would have scored her appropriately and told her that any other test that came back as a fascinating piece of creative writing would earn her an A. I don't want to dig to see if you got the points and I'm not going to reward your creativity instead of the points. It's history and an essay. Write me a 4-9 sentence paragraph for each answer...PERIOD. If I want to know how creatively you can present the information, I'll ask you for that. (Note: I'm a grump....LOL)

Well, yes, but if you are a teacher with years of experience, you know more or less how to assign points such that the best students come out with A's and the mediocre ones with C's. I don't LOL. And you have worked out which things are musts and which are frosting and which are useless fluff. Yes, it may be based on your personal philosophy, but part of it will be based on seeing lots of students. At least, ideally. GRIN