Menu

Girls hair and sports

DD has medium length hair and has always put it up in a ponytail with clips for soccer and tennis. It's too long to leave down but too short to put in a pony without clips. Yesterday was her first game with a new league and they won't let her use metal clips to hold her hair back - no metal at all. She needs about 5. Today we are trying an elastic band that goes around her whole head but we aren't sure it will work. Unless it's right at her hairline, it falls off the back of her head. At her hairline, will it hold lose pesky ends back? I think this is what she has.

Any other things to try?

I divide my dd's hair down the middle (as if I am putting two pigtails in really close to her face) then put french braids in that run temple to nape of neck on either side of her head then join them in a ponytail at the back. This seems to work fairly well, and I only use one elastic at the back.

For other dd (whose hair is layered near her face), we'll divide the front part of her hair (from the middle of her head to her face) into 5 pony tails (one on top and two on each side) then pull those back into a ponytail with the rest of her hair high on the back of her head.

also, there's this stuff that you can buy in a roll at Target, or similar, and it's made of kind of foamy material. I personally wouldn't let that stuff within a mile of my own hair:tongue_smilie:, but my DDs like it fine, and it does hold back the hair very well. and you call just cut or pull off as much as you need. it's about $3.50 for a roll. Have fun!

double french braids work...another thing we did in college was take the stuff you put under athletic tape...what is that called? anyway, NOT STICKY! - twirl it really tightly, put around head, tie @ top, move tie to nape of neck and there you go...does that make any sense? that is what we all did in college sports before those headband thingies came out. I liked it because I could make it as tight as I needed (can't do w/pre-made/bought stuff)...wow, this is the first time I've felt old on these boards :tongue_smilie:

double french braids work...another thing we did in college was take the stuff you put under athletic tape...what is that called? anyway, NOT STICKY! - twirl it really tightly, put around head, tie @ top, move tie to nape of neck and there you go...does that make any sense? that is what we all did in college sports before those headband thingies came out. I liked it because I could make it as tight as I needed (can't do w/pre-made/bought stuff)...wow, this is the first time I've felt old on these boards :tongue_smilie:

This is actually what she ended up doing yesterday. Another girl had a whole roll of prewrap. But she put it on her head to far back and it fell off. :glare:

I do knots for my daughter's hair. I divide the front hair into five sections going back to the crown and knot them all and then put it all in a ponytail/braid/whatever.

I have a blog post where my two eldest girls are both wearing five knots a piece on top, but without pulling the remaining hair into a ponytail. I include it in case you have no idea what I mean by five knots on top.

Good luck!