Menu

I can't make good coffee for anything. Why?

I have a Cuisinart coffee maker. It has a burr grinder on the top and a water filter. I buy whole bean coffee from Trader Joes (I mix their decaf and a Guatemalan blend together for a 1/2 caff cup o' Joe) and grind what I need to make a pot, storing the rest in the freezer. Even though it has a water filter, I still use bottled water. It has 3 settings for coffee - mild, med and strong, and you can choose the amount from 2-12 cups. I have mine set at "mild" on the "2-cups" setting but I pour in enough water for 4 cups because I think the "4 cups" setting is waaaay too strong. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I still feel like it's too strong (meaning, I can smell it when I pee. How's that for TMI? :lol:), but more than anything, it's just not *smooth*. Why is that?

I have tried everything. I own a french press, and while I like it, I got rid of my grinder when I got this new coffee pot, so it's more work to get the grinds into the french press from the coffee maker, kwim? I have even tried Swedish Egg coffee after my mom told me that *her* mom used to make that and people would rave over her coffee. Unfortunately, my grandma passed away before I was born and my mom doesn't know her recipe. I Googled online and it just didn't turn out well at all.

I want a good cup of coffee.

How do I get coffee to be smooth and perfect like it is in restaurants when you have a cup with your dessert? What am I doing wrong (and if you tell me to buy different coffee, trust me, I have! Starbucks, Seattle, Gevalia, Illy, Caribou and local store brands too. Seriously, I've tried *everything*)??

I do not own a cuisinart coffee maker so I am not sure about your system but think you should clean the water filter and if possible run a brew of vinegar through perhaps there is sediment .

Yeah, I've done that too, on a regular basis. The filters I don't clean though, I just replace every 3 months or so. The vinegar wash I do every few months too. *sigh*

A few months ago, I bought some Folger's Columbian coffee because I couldn't find what I was looking for and I was in a hurry. It is bold but not bitter. Very smooth. Dh likes it too and it cut our coffee budget way down.

Before this, I'd been going through a period where I couldn't seem to get a cup of coffee that I was satisfied with. We tried so many different kinds, but I was constantly drinking 1/2 a cup and throwing the rest away. I sometimes go to the Hilton in Raleigh for CPE classes; they have great coffee and that's the taste I was looking for. Folger's Columbian tastes just like the Hilton's coffee and I've been satisfied ever since. :001_smile:

I just have a coffeemate coffee maker with a stainless pot. The recipe I use is one tablespoon of coffee per coffee mug of water plus an extra half mug of water. For 4 mugs of coffee, I use 4 level tablespoons and 4 1/2 coffee mugs of water and it always works like a charm. I have found that the stainless steel pot without a burner is fantastic since the coffee does not get that burned, old taste even a couple of hours later:tongue_smilie: In fact, one night I accidentally made it the night before instead of the timer and the coffee was still good the next morning. I do not have those other fancy settings, just a timer to wake up with coffee.

The recipe for the Swedish Egg Coffee, from Swedesburg Lutheran Church Women Cookbook: measure 1 Tbsp coffee for each cup of water (about 12 cups for their pot). Add 1 large egg or 2 mall ones, and a small amount of cold water. Mix well. When water boils, add the coffee mixture to the water. Let boil well, but NOT for very long (emphasis added). Remove from fire. Pour out from spout and return to pot (use a wire strainer to get the grounds). Add a little cold water to settle grounds that are left. Now it is ready to drink and enjoy. [You may have let it boil too long--that makes it a bit acrid.]

Our old coffee maker broke and until I got around to replacing it we made coffee this way in a large pot every morning for about 2 months.

You may also be smelling it in your urine because you may be a bit dehydrated (at least that's when I notice it more). Sorry, too, for the TMI. :001_smile:

Our regular recipe: for 10 cups tap water measured in the Mr. Coffee pot, we use a 1/2 cup of coffee (the container recommends 1 Tbsp/1 serving). I tend to use Maxwell House Original Roast. But, when I get a nice bag of beans I grind them in a Kitchenaid grinder for a 10-15 seconds--not too fine. I store the fresh grounds in the fridge in a mason jar. Our Mr. Coffee only has an on/off switch--nothing else.

I hope your coffee turns out well! :cheers2: (pretend those are mugs of coffee). :)

P.S. We pour our pot of coffee into a large Stanley thermos right after it is made to keep it from getting that burnt taste (and it saves a teeny bit of electricity).

Edited by elw_miller
Forgot to add.

According to my fancy-pants coffee husband, don't store your coffee in the freezer. The grinder will shatter the beans vs. grind them, and good coffee has much to do with the correct grind. Incorrect size of grind makes a bad cup, no matter the quality of the coffee. The cuisinart is a fine-rated coffee maker. My dad has it and uses Peet's Major Dickason (which I adore!). I personally think the Trader Joe's coffee to rough for my palate.

According to my fancy-pants coffee husband, don't store your coffee in the freezer. The grinder will shatter the beans vs. grind them, and good coffee has much to do with the correct grind. Incorrect size of grind makes a bad cup, no matter the quality of the coffee.

My fancy-pants coffee pastor and assist. pastor wax on about the grind of the coffee ad nauseum. :lol:

Just so you don't feel bad, I have a hard time making a good cup of coffee, too. I don't go to the lengths you do, but I'm glad that I like milk and sweetner in my coffee; it hides a multitude of coffee-making sins. ;)

Unfortunately, this isn't the answer for me either. I make 4 cups worth (which usually fills 2 coffee mugs) and I'm using the pause feature to fill my cup before it's even done brewing, LOL. When it beeps that the rest is finished, I immediately turn the whole thing off because by the time I'm ready for my 2nd (and last) fill, the coffee is still hot. (can you tell I need some coffee in the morning to get me going? ;))

My fancy-pants coffee pastor and assist. pastor wax on about the grind of the coffee ad nauseum. :lol:

Just so you don't feel bad, I have a hard time making a good cup of coffee, too. I don't go to the lengths you do, but I'm glad that I like milk and sweetner in my coffee; it hides a multitude of coffee-making sins. ;)

Yes, I use 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar in my coffee too, to cover those sins. But I really do enjoy a cup of plain ol' black coffee. I really want to get this figured out - what are other people doing right that I'm doing so wrong? Even my mom make delicious coffee and she just has a plain-jane coffee maker and buys her coffee already ground. What is *wrong* with me? :lol:

A few months ago, I bought some Folger's Columbian coffee because I couldn't find what I was looking for and I was in a hurry. It is bold but not bitter. Very smooth. Dh likes it too and it cut our coffee budget way down.

Before this, I'd been going through a period where I couldn't seem to get a cup of coffee that I was satisfied with. We tried so many different kinds, but I was constantly drinking 1/2 a cup and throwing the rest away. I sometimes go to the Hilton in Raleigh for CPE classes; they have great coffee and that's the taste I was looking for. Folger's Columbian tastes just like the Hilton's coffee and I've been satisfied ever since. :001_smile:

I have heard that Folgers is all it takes. I'm pretty sure that the taste you were going for from the Hilton is the same taste I'm going for. I take it Folgers Columbian comes already pre-ground? How much do you use for say, 4 cups (apprx. 16 oz)?

Have you tried making a full pot of coffee? I read once that small amounts aren't going to taste the same as a full pot. I fill our coffee maker with 10 cups good water and add 1/2 cup measured Folger's Brazilian coffee. I've been trying for years to get a good, consistent cup of joe, and this is pretty darn close. Ah, Folger's Brazilian...it's smoooooooooth! :D

Have you tried making a full pot of coffee? I read once that small amounts aren't going to taste the same as a full pot. I fill our coffee maker with 10 cups good water and add 1/2 cup measured Folger's Brazilian coffee. I've been trying for years to get a good, consistent cup of joe, and this is pretty darn close. Ah, Folger's Brazilian...it's smoooooooooth! :D

I have *not* tried that! But it would be a waste, wouldn't it? I don't want that much coffee and no one else in the family drinks it. Probably my answer is a Keurig, but I can't afford that right now...

So what about Folgers makes it so smooth? Smooth is exactly what I'm looking for!

Unfortunately, this isn't the answer for me either. I make 4 cups worth (which usually fills 2 coffee mugs) and I'm using the pause feature to fill my cup before it's even done brewing, LOL. When it beeps that the rest is finished, I immediately turn the whole thing off because by the time I'm ready for my 2nd (and last) fill, the coffee is still hot. (can you tell I need some coffee in the morning to get me going? ;))

Question- Do you use 2 level tablespoons for those 2 mugs worth? For 2 mugs of coffee, I would consider trying 2 level tablespoons of coffee and 2 1/2 mugs of water for your recipe.

I have found that I do not like Columbian coffees and all of the so-called great tasting, gourmet ones. I do not like Starbucks coffee either (except the blended drinks). Plain, it's like drinking cigarette ashes or something weird.

I actually like Kroger's Premium Blend and Maxwell House Master Blend. Generally, I like coffees that are characterized as "smooth." Oh, and I've never tasted a decaf that I liked.

So I would first make sure you actually like the taste of the coffee.

Better coffee. I don't like TJ's coffee. I get mine, fresh roasted, at:

http://www.dancinggoats.com/Home_C277.cfm?CFID=17800979&CFTOKEN=64981844

I like the capitol blend. I get mine ground, and put in 1/2 gallon canning jars and put in the deep freeze. It is delicious. The only coffee that is nearly as delicious as it smells.

Taste is subjective. Shop around.

Question- Do you use 2 level tablespoons for those 2 mugs worth? For 2 mugs of coffee, I would consider trying 2 level tablespoons of coffee and 2 1/2 mugs of water for your recipe.

Maybe I should test this out. I don't know how much is being automatically ground by the machine. Maybe I'll try grinding it, then as soon as the grinder turns off, I'll turn the machine off and measure out how much was ground, then I'll add the water based on how much was ground. Sounds like I need to do some testing.

This morning I went to a new-to-me coffee house that I had for the first time a few weeks ago and have been dreaming about ever since. Anyway, while my coffee was being prepared, I asked where they get their beans and if they sell it, which they did. So I bought 1/2 pound to try out. Yet another coffee to try. Next is gonna be Folgers!

I have heard that Folgers is all it takes. I'm pretty sure that the taste you were going for from the Hilton is the same taste I'm going for. I take it Folgers Columbian comes already pre-ground? How much do you use for say, 4 cups (apprx. 16 oz)?

It is pre-ground, which is nice in the mornings because dh and I don't function very well before we have our morning coffee. I've been known to do things like put in a filter but no coffee, so all I had was hot water. :lol:

For 4 cups of coffee, we use almost 4 scoops. Our scoop came with some gevalia coffee. I poured a level scoop into a tbsp to see if they are the same, and the scoop is almost a tbsp or you might say a scant tbsp. We use about 3.5 scoops for 4 cups of water.

It is pre-ground, which is nice in the mornings because dh and I don't function very well before we have our morning coffee. I've been known to do things like put in a filter but no coffee, so all I had was hot water. :lol:

For 4 cups of coffee, we use almost 4 scoops. Our scoop came with some gevalia coffee. I poured a level scoop into a tbsp to see if they are the same, and the scoop is almost a tbsp or you might say a scant tbsp. We use about 3.5 scoops for 4 cups of water.

OK, thanks! I'll give that a try if the coffee I bought this morning from a local coffee house doesn't turn out the way I want.

Try using more grounds. I forget the details, but I read something somewhere that explained why using too few grounds would make a bad cup of coffee.

My entire family makes horribly weak coffee and it's disgusting! We take our own coffee with us when we stay at my mom's or we drive to McDonald's every morning to get coffee there.

Janna, I don't drink coffee, but I researched it a ton this past year to prepare for a party where I needed to serve it. I decided Folgers is normal and appeals to a broad variety of people. You may just be trying too hard with the fancy brands. Some people like those fancy varieties, and some don't. And you know how you tell the best coffee? Shhh, you walk into walmart and see which type is most sold out. ;) No joke, that's how I picked, and it went over just fine. No one would know I didn't have a clue what I was doing, lol. Oh, and there's a secret that you put nutmeg in it. I can check if it was nutmeg and cinnamon or just nutmeg. Dunkin Donuts preground is very good too (my guests like it). But in all of these, I've finally learned you just buy the breakfast blend or something really mild. Sometimes people SAY they like dark or like fancy or whatever, and they don't really. That breakfast blend is especially mild.

So go to Walmart, buy the breakfast blend Folgers that is in the most picked over section, and you'll probably have a good cuppa joe. :)

Oh, I should disclose that I use both a percolator (the high capacity kind) and some other brand that I forget that brings the water all the way up to temp, hot hot (hotter than most other brands). As I gathered, the temp is the other issue. But I think if you get pre-ground of a mild blend that has mass appeal (low acid, etc.), you'll probably be fine.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Janna, I don't drink coffee, but I researched it a ton this past year to prepare for a party where I needed to serve it. I decided Folgers is normal and appeals to a broad variety of people. You may just be trying too hard with the fancy brands. Some people like those fancy varieties, and some don't. And you know how you tell the best coffee? Shhh, you walk into walmart and see which type is most sold out. ;) No joke, that's how I picked, and it went over just fine. No one would know I didn't have a clue what I was doing, lol. Oh, and there's a secret that you put nutmeg in it. I can check if it was nutmeg and cinnamon or just nutmeg. Dunkin Donuts preground is very good too (my guests like it). But in all of these, I've finally learned you just buy the breakfast blend or something really mild. Sometimes people SAY they like dark or like fancy or whatever, and they don't really. That breakfast blend is especially mild.

So go to Walmart, buy the breakfast blend Folgers that is in the most picked over section, and you'll probably have a good cuppa joe. :)

LOL, thanks, Elizabeth! The only one I haven't tried is Folgers. People *swear* by Dunkin Donuts (and it truly is the one that's sold out at Wal*Mart), but I did not like it *at all*. In fact, I threw the bag out after trying it twice.

The nutmeg and cinnamon is a true "secret" - either one is fine. Also, adding a dash of salt is supposed to take out some of the bitterness. I *do* think the salt trick works.

I'm glad you were able to pull off making the coffee with no one noticing you had researched so much! Something must be seriously wrong with me! :lol:

As a side, I got to thinking earlier this morning about this thread and I remembered something. A few years ago I read The Testament by John Grisham. He referred to a type of coffee over and over in that book called "cafezinho". It's from Brazil (where a lot of the book took place) and is a strong, sugary coffee made over the stove. I decided to look up how to make it after reading that book and it *was* very good- *very smooth*. But it's a pain in the rear to make every morning. Maybe I should go back to that though, for at least a few days.

Thanks for the smile and encouragement, though!

pssst.....and get a Keurig for Christmas :D

Trust me, it's on the list. And whoever it was that bought it because it was necessary for school (I think it was firefly?) was brilliant. I told my dh. He agreed wholeheartedly; we just can't make it work at the moment. December is sooooooo far away still!

By the way, approx. how much do you spend a month in K-cups, if you don't mind my asking?

IMO, weak coffee just doesn't taste good, and I think that's part of the reason you are missing that "smooth" flavor that you are describing.

On the Starbucks bag they say to use 2 tbsp of ground coffee per 6 oz cup of coffee. I don't use quite that much, but I would probably use close to it. So to make 2 mugs of coffee I would use 3.5 tbsp.

I don't like hassling with it though, since I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee, so I have a Keurig that I use to make my lone cup of coffee in the morning. :D

As for the smell, I think that is normal, especially if all you've had to drink in the morning is your coffee and it hasn't been diluted with other liquids. When I was working in a corporate office, the bathroom always smelled like coffee. :lol:

I make small batches of coffe. I use a scant 1 Tbsp of beans per cup. I make about 5 Cups in my old Braun & that makes 2 big mugs.

I usually use Kicking Horse http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/

I like the mediums. Three Sisters & Pacific Pipeline are usually what I get.

Dh strays into darks once in a while - he likes KickAss

Paper filters take out a bit more of the oil I think & the flavour of the resultant coffee milder IME. My mom uses a gold filter & I find her coffee has a bit too much 'kick' for me.

Coffee is very subjective. I personally really don't like gevalia. I don't like folgers. I'd rather have instant Maxwell House Original (2 heaping tsp/mug) than either of those. In fact when I'm lazy & in a hurry, I'll have the instant cause I can't be bothered to grind.

At Starbucks the only ones I consistently like are House, Yukon, and Christmas.

You want to try the Keurig before you buy. We went to a BB&B that had one set up and would let you drink. I didn't drink it, but the person with me did and disliked it intensely. You also get very small servings. If you're a heavy coffee drinker, I don't see the point.

On the Dunkins, you may have gotten too strong a blend/roast.

I totally agree; anything less that 2 Tbs. per 6 oz cup makes me barf.

(she says, as she sits with a steaming cup of coffee in her hand....)

IMO, weak coffee just doesn't taste good, and I think that's part of the reason you are missing that "smooth" flavor that you are describing.

On the Starbucks bag they say to use 2 tbsp of ground coffee per 6 oz cup of coffee. I don't use quite that much, but I would probably use close to it. So to make 2 mugs of coffee I would use 3.5 tbsp.

I don't like hassling with it though, since I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee, so I have a Keurig that I use to make my lone cup of coffee in the morning. :D

As for the smell, I think that is normal, especially if all you've had to drink in the morning is your coffee and it hasn't been diluted with other liquids. When I was working in a corporate office, the bathroom always smelled like coffee. :lol:

You want to try the Keurig before you buy. We went to a BB&B that had one set up and would let you drink. I didn't drink it, but the person with me did and disliked it intensely. You also get very small servings. If you're a heavy coffee drinker, I don't see the point.

On the Dunkins, you may have gotten too strong a blend/roast.

I have. A friend has one. At the BB&B, it probably depended on the K-cup that was used (the brand of coffee they were allowing you to sample, which was most likely Green Mountain). I tried the Timothy's at my friend's house and really liked it. As far as heavy coffee use, I only drink 16oz a day (2 of my mugs), so that would use what? 2 K-cups/day? That was why I wondered what the cost of K-cups/month were. If it's going to be pricey to maintain, it might not be a good idea for me. Though I did see that you can buy a cup to put your own grinds in...