Menu

Article on Education...

I would be thrilled to see national content standards.

Unless they're crappy.

We already have Nat'l standards.....:confused:

and yes, they are:lol:

*Parents* should be determining standards by signing their kids into schools that uphold their *standards.* This is not justa threat to HSers, but to private schools.

We already have Nat'l standards.....:confused:

and yes, they are:lol:

*Parents* should be determining standards by signing their kids into schools that uphold their *standards.* This is not justa threat to HSers, but to private schools.

If you're talking about organizations like NCTM and NCTE I don't consider those content standards.

(bolding mine)

Yuck! big govt=less rights for everyone

Sure a few kids may receive a more and/or better education (but I have my doubts) and everyone will receive govt indoctrination. Gee, kinda reminds me of A Wrinkle in Time. I wonder if they attempt to teach everyone to bounce balls in unison.

Mandy

NCLB isn't content standards. And I disagree that it's not working.

Then we will respectfully agree to disagree :001_smile:. NCLB requires a National, standardized test to be administered every year to every PS student. in that way, it's setting content standards. All PS's are teaching to the test in order to pass and receive federal funding.

Blessings,

Dorinda

Then we will respectfully agree to disagree :001_smile:. NCLB requires a National, standardized test to be administered every year to every PS student. in that way, it's setting content standards. All PS's are teaching to the test in order to pass and receive federal funding.

Blessings,

Dorinda

How is that possible when there are numerous tests, all covering different things? Curricula vary widely from school to school, and state to state. There are no content standards.

How is that possible when there are numerous tests, all covering different things? Curricula vary widely from school to school, and state to state. There are no content standards.

I see, so you're saying Content versus Standards. NCLB is Standards based whereas Content would be a national curriculum or a handful of curriculum approved and used in every state? So if the Federal Government legislated Content, it would mandate the curriculum? I'm against that.

I just know locally and in other states (the states where I know PS teachers), there are several standardized tests given. One is a National test, and there are only so many National tests out there. That is the test most teacher's teach to to meet or exceed AYP. The state and local tests are also given and you're right, they don't match up. My sister teaches in Mississippi, for example. Her school struggles to meet AYP, and they tend to fall short. However, they are doing better and better every year on the MS standardized test. And yes, like Nichole said, they hate NCLB. It makes their students feel stupid, it makes them feel like failures, and it has undermined how and what the teachers teach. My sister is a Math teacher, and one of her classes this year is, testing and study skills. It's for those who aren't passing the Math portion of the Federal testing. I'm not saying they can't benefit from this, but it is frustrating to have the Federal Government come in and tell you what to do, when they can't even run themselves!

OK, I suppose I should go work on lesson plans :D But thanks for the discussion!

Dorinda

If a school does not receive federal funding, then nothing discussed in the article could impinge on what the school teaches. Homeschooling falls under the umbrella of private education, and homeschoolers do not receive federal funding. Exception would be those homeschoolers who enroll in the charter schools, such as the K-12 publicly funded option -- and who no longer are homeschoolers, according to the customary definitions, but are students in an "extension school", using a "distance learning" program.

I see, so you're saying Content versus Standards. NCLB is Standards based whereas Content would be a national curriculum or a handful of curriculum approved and used in every state? So if the Federal Government legislated Content, it would mandate the curriculum? I'm against that.

I'm talking about content standards, which are basically lists of things that should be taught at a certain grade level. Here is an example of Massachusetts' highly regarded grade 5 math standards

Number Sense and Operations Strand

Students engage in problem solving, communicating, reasoning, connecting, and representing as they:

5.N.1 Demonstrate an understanding of (positive integer) powers of ten, e.g., 102, 105.

5.N.2 Demonstrate an understanding of place value through millions and thousandths.

5.N.3 Represent and compare large (millions) and small (thousandths) positive numbers in various forms, such as expanded notation without exponents, e.g., 9724 = 9 x 1000 + 7 x 100 + 2 x 10 + 4.

5.N.4 Demonstrate an understanding of fractions as a ratio of whole numbers, as parts of unit wholes, as parts of a collection, and as locations on the number line.

This standard is intentionally the same as standard 6.N.4.

5.N.5 Identify and determine common equivalent fractions (with denominators 2, 4, 5, 10) and mixed numbers (with denominators 2, 4, 5, 10), decimals, and percents (through one *hundred percent), e.g., 3/4 = 0.75 = 75%.

5.N.6 Find and position whole numbers, positive fractions, positive mixed numbers, and positive decimals on a number line.

5.N.7 Compare and order whole numbers, positive fractions, positive mixed numbers, positive *decimals, and percents.

5.N.8 Apply the number theory concepts of common factor, common multiple, and divisibility rules for 2, 3, 5, and 10 to the solution of problems. Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of prime and composite numbers.

5.N.9 Solve problems involving multiplication and division of whole numbers, and multiplication of positive fractions with whole numbers.

5.N.10 Demonstrate an understanding of how parentheses affect expressions involving addition, subtraction, and multiplication, and use that understanding to solve problems, e.g., 3 x (4 + 2) = 3 x 6.

5.N.11 Demonstrate an understanding of the inverse relationship of addition and *subtraction, and use that understanding to simplify computation and solve problems.

This standard is intentionally the same as standard 6.N.12.

5.N.12 Accurately and efficiently add and subtract whole numbers and positive decimals. Multiply and divide (using double-digit divisors) whole numbers. Multiply positive decimals with whole numbers.

5.N.13 Accurately and efficiently add and subtract positive fractions and mixed numbers with like denominators and with unlike denominators (2, 4, 5, 10 only); multiply positive fractions with whole numbers. Simplify fractions in cases when both the numerator and the *denominator have 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 as a common factor.

5.N.14 Estimate sums and differences of whole numbers, positive fractions, and positive decimals. Estimate products of whole numbers and products of positive decimals with whole numbers. Use a variety of strategies and judge the reasonableness of the answer.

Patterns, Relations, and Algebra Strand

Students engage in problem solving, communicating, reasoning, connecting, and representing as they:

5.P.1 Analyze and determine the rules for extending symbolic, arithmetic, and geometric patterns and progressions, e.g., ABBCCC; 1, 5, 9, 13…; 3, 9, 27...

This standard is intentionally the same as standard 6.P.1.

5.P.2 Replace variables with given values and evaluate/simplify, e.g., 2(m) + 3 when m = 4.

This standard is intentionally the same as standard 6.P.2.

5.P.3 Use the properties of equality to solve problems with whole numbers, e.g., if o + 7 = 13, then o = 13 – 7, therefore o = 6 ; if 3 x o = 15, then o = 15 ÷ 3, therefore o = 5.

5.P.4 Represent real situations and mathematical relationships with concrete models, tables, graphs, and rules in words and with symbols, e.g., input-output tables.

This standard is intentionally the same as standard 6.P.4.

5.P.5 Solve problems involving proportional relationships using concrete models, tables, graphs, and paper-pencil methods.

5.P.6 Interpret graphs that represent the relationship between two variables in everyday situations.

Here is an example of NCTM standards. I don't consider these standards. I think they're worthless.

Grades 3–5 Expectations:

In grades 3–5 all students should– • understand the place-value structure of the base-ten number system and be able to represent and compare whole numbers and decimals; • recognize equivalent representations for the same number and generate them by decomposing and composing numbers; • develop understanding of fractions as parts of unit wholes, as parts of a collection, as locations on number lines, and as divisions of whole numbers; • use models, benchmarks, and equivalent forms to judge the size of fractions; • recognize and generate equivalent forms of commonly used fractions, decimals, and percents; • explore numbers less than 0 by extending the number line and through familiar applications; • describe classes of numbers according to characteristics such as the nature of their factors.

I would be thrilled to see national content standards.
And it's something that prominent conservative education advocates have been calling for for years.

The article seems like fear-mongering to me. I didn't see much legitimate information in it, mostly only speculation. I'd have to see more facts before I'm going to start condemning anything.

This was my first thought too. So I went to the DOE website and read the press release. There was nothing helpful there. Then I read the text of the proposed application guidelines. Here's the definition of content standards:

Common set of K-12 standards means a set of content standards that

define what students must know and be able to do, and that are

identical across all States in a consortium. Notwithstanding this, a

State may supplement the common standards with additional standards,

provided that the additional standards do not exceed 15 percent of the

State's total standards for that content area.

That doesn't seem to ominous. But it's also really unclear. There is text of a speech

about standards that is somewhat interesting. It talks about a group of 46 states

working on these standards already. :confused:

I think it's something to watch. BTW, it's called "Race to the Top".

All the educators I know feel that NCLB was a blatant effort to undermine education in this country.

I'm curious, do these educators you know have an opinion as to WHY there was a blatant effort to undermine education in this country?

(and you should know me well enough to know this is a sincere, non-snarky question)

I have found that educators are not generally who I look to for information about the answer to education issues (dh excluded, LOL.) At the national level, I don't think the NEA has the best interests of the students in mind. At a local level, the majority of teachers (not all) have their own best interests in mind. There are a small handful of parents and a very few teachers who really want the best education for children, and they are thoroughly frustrated by what goes on in schools.

IMHO, the reason there are tests and "teaching to the tests" is because schools quit educating effectively. I don't agree that testing end-results is the way to cause the necessary changes, but it seems to be the only way lawmakers can think of to get around the NEA's stranglehold on our schools. Before anyone decries teaching to the test, they should look at the test. If the test is of information students need, and it therefore actually holds the teacher accountable to teach what students need, then I don't have a problem with it.

And there is no national test for NCLB. There has been a lot of press recently about the different state tests and their different standards, as well as a cry for a federal test and standards, though.

Teaching to the test: My DD was in PS kindergarten last year. She went to one of those "good" (high scoring) schools. Those kids are PUSHED like you wouldn't believe all so that by the time they're in 2nd grade (first year of testing) they'll score high. The schools want to score well, but many do it at the expense of their students.

Examples of pushing: First week of KINDERGARTEN parents were sent notes that if their child didn't already know how to write their name and know all the letter names and sounds they were BEHIND and parents needed to help them catch up. By the spring these K'ers were expected to write five sentence stories and essays. By February they had to write and say numbers to 100. They were adding and subtracting in April. Basically they had to do 1st grade in kindergarten so that they'd be nearly a year ahead by the time they hit 2nd grade (testing year).

I'm not a fan of NCLB and national content standards, while surely well-intentioned, make me nervous.

I do not believe an international organization has any right to tell me what to teach. As pointed out above, this would not have an direct impact on homeschoolers, at least at the onset. Still, I find this is very scary.

Truthfully, I think the only people that should determine the content of education are the parents. I do not think governments should determine content at all, much less at a national/international level. If governments must concern themselves with education it should be controlled at the local level, so that parents have as much input as possible.