Menu

First day back reflections from anyone?

HollyDay

Today is our first official day back. We have done some parts here and there. What else does one do when it is 105 degrees outside in June? But, today our public schools started and so did we. Not sure how it is going yet! Anyone have any reflections on starting up??

Not sure how it is going yet!

:iagree:

The actual schoolwork has gone well, so far. We have orientation day for Master's Academy this afternoon (and normally on Mondays, both older two will be at Master's Academy), so we don't do science or history on Mondays (or grammar). Dd got her math, Latin, spelling, penmanship, and writing done, though, and she's halfway through her assigned reading.

It's the screaming, sick baby and the puking cat, and the probable connection between the cat and the sickness, that are throwing me for a loop. Also that ds is hiding his reading ability from me. I have no idea how well he can read, but I know it's more than sounding out "at" and "cat." ack!

Today is our first official day back. We have done some parts here and there. What else does one do when it is 105 degrees outside in June? But, today our public schools started and so did we. Not sure how it is going yet! Anyone have any reflections on starting up??

We actually started last week, although public school started today. Like you, it's very hot outside and my boys woudl rather be in here.

My biggest reflection right now is that I wish my neighbor, who has a PreK who hasn't started school yet, would stop calling me and let me do school and breaks in peace :)

Really, my boys are LOVING My Fathers World; coming from SL last year, it's a very welcome change. And I'm liking the WTM elements we're adding in.

I'm very glad we continued math and reading over the summer--

Betsy

We started back last week too. We had a wonderful first week back! As for reflections I have a couple. I like the fact that we can start on real learning. My dd's friend who went back last week to P.S is doing orientations and assessments. Her dad told me that the teacher told him this would take about a month before they began any new material. I like the fact that we just started right up. We finished the last art project we didn't do in the spring. We started chapter one of SOTW vol. 2 which is right where we left off this summer at the end of vol. 1. We did a cooking project and an art project with that already! We did a Science experiment last week to end the unit we did over the summer and will begin new material this week.

We did begin new texts for math, phonics, and English which begin VERY slowly reviewing old material. But even with that, it helps ease into the new books and get used to writing on paper instead of in workbooks before anything challenging pops up. So I think in general we are making good use of our time!

Also a personal reflection: My dd5 is doing great with her reading of Bob books. She is a slow and steady kind of girl as opposed to my Odd who picked up reading in leaps and bounds. But it is working! She is doing awesome!

I started back today too! Ds5 is now an "official" (homeschool) kindergartener. He wasn't quite sure he'd like that status, but this morning he was very cooperative with his school work. We're working on the letter "M" this week, so we read a moose book by Dr. Seuss, made a moose puppet, and worked on the R & S workbooks.

The older two were even less eager about starting school today. (Around here, ps doesn't start until next week) So we compromised with a half day. We're using HOD's Bigger Hearts for history, and REAL Science Earth & Space for science. I combine the kids for those subjects, and those are the ones we did today. I was pleasantly surprised at what they remembered from last year. (We haven't done school since June.) They seemed pretty interested and more cooperative than I thought they would be, which was also a nice treat.

For that matter, I was more cooperative than I thought I would be. I wasn't really looking forward to starting school today, but we've all been going a little batty here with nothing to do all day, so I knew starting was the right thing to do. Even so, I woke up this morning kind of dreading it. But, my sour attitude didn't seem to affect the kids, and their excitement actually lifted me up.

The one thing I hoped wouldn't happen but ended up happening anyway...my youngest kept causing interruptions....screaming about something she couldn't have, being noisy, grabbing crayons and scissors, playing in the refrigerator....This was totally a fantasy, but I was hoping she'd have "grown up" a little since last year. (I know, I know.....she's 2! But we can dream, can't we?) I need to make some sort of entertainment plan for her or she's going to drive us crazy!

We started back today, we're on break. My ds asked if there were any cases of people dying from having to write too much. :lol::lol:

My best wisdom is buy a pizza for dinner on the first night. Seriously we have one in the fridge ready to go, I so do not want to cook tonight.

We started today. :001_smile: So far so good. Usually my DD9 and DD4 would be gone in the morning so that will change in a few weeks time. Good thing. They interrupt each other to much. First impressions for first year with SL- it is defintely different than the way I was taught. So far it is going well. For my DD it helps that we are also using Journey Across Time with her Core 6. My younger DD's aren't into Core 1 history material yet, we are spending the first 5 weeks on prehistoric time. We only did SL and the youngers did Math and started Spelling, which is a new subject this year.

We had our first day homeschooling. Very interesting to see how 4th grade and 1st grade daughter handle the freedom of homeschooling. The little things they were excited about cracked me up. Not wearing shoes and chewing gum in class were two they were excited about! However, after today, I'm not sure that "not" chewing gum is such a bad idea after all!

Oldest daughter is VERY much in need of doing everything like public school and told me it was very important she do P.E. everyday for at least 45 minutes. I told her to head on out to the trampoline. Seriously, I am going to let them run with me during part of my run tonight. She also can't handle noise but wants to stay in the new school room. (Enter 3 year old brother and active 7 year old sister):)

Youngest is more "active" in school than I expected she would be. She doesn't stop moving at her desk. Does her work on her stomach in chair and has no attention span. If I have to turn around and get a different book, she has left the room.

But, all and all it went very well. I think they learned a few things and I definitely learned alot about them!

Carolyn

DD 9 years old-4th grade

DD 7 years old-1st grade

3 year old DS

We had our first day homeschooling. Very interesting to see how 4th grade and 1st grade daughter handle the freedom of homeschooling. The little things they were excited about cracked me up. Not wearing shoes and chewing gum in class were two they were excited about! However, after today, I'm not sure that "not" chewing gum is such a bad idea after all!

Oldest daughter is VERY much in need of doing everything like public school and told me it was very important she do P.E. everyday for at least 45 minutes. I told her to head on out to the trampoline. Seriously, I am going to let them run with me during part of my run tonight. She also can't handle noise but wants to stay in the new school room. (Enter 3 year old brother and active 7 year old sister):)

Youngest is more "active" in school than I expected she would be. She doesn't stop moving at her desk. Does her work on her stomach in chair and has no attention span. If I have to turn around and get a different book, she has left the room.

But, all and all it went very well. I think they learned a few things and I definitely learned alot about them!

Sounds like you all had a great first day! It does take some adjustment time to get out of the "SCHOOL" mode. I'd let your wiggly 7yo do school however it best suits her! My middle child was a wiggly little guy, and would've driven a teacher in a classroom crazy! :tongue_smilie: I let him get his wiggles out, or lay down or sit how he was comfortable. He'd sometimes pace back and forth spelling his spelling words out loud, or lay with his legs on the couch but his head on the floor....sometimes it looked crazy---but he learned better that way!:001_huh: If I made him sit in a desk, I would've had problems with him all the time! He's such a sweet boy (well, he's almost 16 now! :eek:), that I was VERY glad to have him home where i could let him be himself. I'm afraid that in school he would've gotten in trouble a lot, and he and others would THINK he was naughty, when in reality he just needed to be able to move and sometimes say things out loud to get it in his brain!

I love homeschooling!:D Oh, btw, I just thought I'd comment. We are getting the middle guy off to school in a couple of weeks, then I'll start with dd after that with most stuff. Once my oldest heads off to college in September, I can really get going with dd's schooling.

We've been chugging along in math all summer, but today I added in language arts and SL 3. I had forgotten how much I love SL! We had such a nice time reading our new books and my son asked me some really thought-provoking questions. I have tried so hard to streamline our schoolwork this year since I've gone overboard in the past and I had been wondering if I should continue with SL or switch to something lighter. I was so happy to see that SL is still a good fit for us. I'm adding in a few hands-on activities this year and we did the first one today. It was a big hit!

Lisa