Menu

Which saying about life fits you?

Good things come to those who wait.

Good things come to those who work hard for them.

Which one are you?

Which one is your spouse?

It seems as if the first is a "go with the flow" kind of person and the second is a "go getter."

Has anyone been or known anyone to be successful in life with the first attitude? I am the second and I am trying to understand the first.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I guess you could say that dh and I believe that "Good things come to those who work hard, while they are waiting."

We don't necessarily work hard for the good things themselves, work is part of life. But we are always ready to recognize the good when it comes, so in that sense we are waiting for it. Does that make sense?

I'm a "the harder I work, the luckier I get" kind of person, deep in my spirit. :) And I'm married to one of those, and we have two dds who are like that as well.

It just causes a different kind of sin-nature for us. We have to acknowledge that we are overly self-reliant, and allow our own good works to get in the way of our reliance on God. Self-effort is our biggest weakness, particularly spiritually. (I'm a "good" person.)

OTOH, in obedience and reliance on God, trusting in his Sovereignty, I couldn't *not* work. Not for my own efforts, not so I can boast, but so the Lord of the Universe is glorified through my actions. In that case, I'm not a "good things come to those who wait" but a "good things come to those who wait UPON THE LORD" kinda person.

Once upon a time, I was a person who believed that God was in control of the things outside of my control, but He had given me some things I was responsible for...LOL. Anyway, I work to remind myself daily that He is in control of everything. I work, to do my part to serve and contribute to His kingdom, because he modeled service before self, knowing that the very things I work for here on earth are temporary and ultimately unimportant. I work to remind myself to remain unattached to those things, and I work to teach my spirit to wait.

But honestly, I fail. I am a "the harder I work, the luckier I get" person. I blow it, and think (often!), "Wow, if you'd just parent harder..." "Man, if you'd just save more for retirement..." "If only you'd read more..." and I am judgy-Mcjudge about things, people and situations that I am neither responsible for or contributing to in any positive manner. Sigh. I repent, and start again.

It is my worst of my many flaws. I continue to try to count it all as rubbish, but in my heart I remain "a Hebrew among Hebrews" (only not really!).

I know plenty of successful people who are "waiters." (GRIN!) I think in the secular world we call them "lucky."

Number 1, definitely. In the sense of Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength....

I don't beleive that waiting means sitting and doing nothing. Maybe about a particular situation, but not just sitting on my bottom. We dropped fertility treatments, and said it's up to the Lord. And lo and behold, I was introduced to a person (now friend) who just brought a baby home from Vietnam, Lo and behold, a year later, we were tooling around VN and being introduced to our little one.

Neither. Good things will come to those who work hard and they may be stolen when jealous people are thieves.

Having been a hard worker all my life I get annoyed with these sayings.

Just because one works hard and is honest does not mean that they will have good things.

A clear conscience - yes; good things - not necessarily.

I was once so happy.

We rented this house for a year and I loved it, and we were going to buy it from the landlord.

My "friend" down the street did not understand where my happiness came from and she was jealous.

She actually told someone that she was going after my husband "to get even with" me (for what I do not know).

But this was not her first attack against a married woman.

Had she waited to sink her claws into my man - I would have had the house.

She could have had him after we bought the d@mn house and I would be less angry. 9 years later - still have no home and have been through a gazillion crappy landlords. I hate her for ruining my chance at the house that I loved. (You live somewhere a year and want to buy it - it's a good house).

The next person who (IRL) says to me that I just need to work hard and blah blah blah....is going to get slapped upside the head.

Vent over.

I guess I never looked at the first statement as about being passive, but about being patient - not expecting instant gratification. One can work hard and be disappointed that the results didn't come immediately. So, I guess I think both are true. I can't pick one over the other. Hubby would probably say the same thing.

Hmmmm...I really see what you are saying. I was using in the sense of being passive, not patient. I do tend to be more impatient - I figure if there is a problem, situation, hardship, what have you that you get going and do something about it. I don't expect instant gratification, but I do tend to get irritated at things that get in my way.

The next person who (IRL) says to me that I just need to work hard and blah blah blah....is going to get slapped upside the head.

Vent over.

I can see why you would feel that way! I don't think that hard work always equals good things. I was more thinking that sitting passively by waiting for good things to happen doesn't get them either.

I am a "the harder I work, the luckier I get" person.

That's how I am - I don't believe in luck, but I do believe the Lord is in control. What I don't think is that means you can simply "tread water" and the Lord will bring you the next good thing.

Here is an example - you want to own some land and build a house someday. Problem is, you don't have any money and your income is not high enough, so it isn't a realistic dream. My response would be to do something about it - increase the income (through whatever means necessary in relation to other values) and start saving. I would set goals, figure out the steps to get there, and go for it. The other person sees that their income isn't high enough and they don't have any money, but their attitude is, "It'll come someday." The person doesn't make any changes, try to increase income, or whatever - they just go with the flow and figure if it's meant to happen it will just happen.

Does that make more sense?

Good things come to those who wait.

Good things come to those who work hard for them.

Which one are you?

Which one is your spouse?

It seems as if the first is a "go with the flow" kind of person and the second is a "go getter."

Has anyone been or known anyone to be successful in life with the first attitude? I am the second and I am trying to understand the first.

I am the second. My husband is the first.

Edited by LizzyBee

My personal view right now is good things come to those who can run away fast enough when the s*** hits the fan.

I've seen both. My dh is a go getter, self-employed, works hard, grabs every opportunity.

My dad is ubber laid back, very patient and methodical about everything. He never made a large salary but we never had want when I was growing up. My mom stayed home, we lived in a nice suburban house, we took real two week vacations in the summer. He was able to retire a few years ago and isn't wealthy, but comfortable. He's more pessimistic in his attitude however and sometimes you think he'll be broke tomorrow, but really my parents have it pretty good.

My dh is optimistic about most things but sometimes fails to see the pitfalls.

I am more in the "work smart, not necessarily hard" camp. I dont think "working hard", particularly for some future goal, is how we are necessarily meant to spend our lives, although for some people, it's just the way it is. If you love what you do anyway, its not neessarily "work" (in some cultures they dont even have a word for "work", it's just life to them). As in, I don't think it is morally superior to spend our lives busting our guts and you may make more money but you may not be happier. Particularly if we are working at something that helps destroy the planet faster.

I think life is basically good anyway, and we all have access to happiness. Good things are around us all the time- we just have to open our eyes and see them. Gratitude for what we already have is the key to attracting abundance and good things.

Rather than "work", I tend to feel that we need to do what needs to be done, and not shirk that. So if we do what needs to be done, work when work needs doing and be able to rest and play when the work is done (which many people can't do- they dont have an off button), life may still serve you lemons rather than roses. But your attitude to what life serves you is what makes the difference. You can make lemonade or you can go around being sour.

Both dh and I are "good things come to those who work hard" tempered with "stuff happens and some of it is going to happen to you". Sometimes life goes awry no matter how carefully you plan and how hard you work. Being able to bounce back in those situations is critical to living a fulfilling life.

Neither of the proposed statements.

For us: All things come from God, or are allowed by Him. In addition, He knows what is "good" far better than I can determine what is "good" !

Does this mean that no matter what you do it was already predestined? So, in my scenario, your position would be that if God wills it to happen then it will occur and you don't need to do anything to help make it happen?

I am really interested in hearing about this further. Does believing this mean there are no goals, future plans to work towards, etc? What about worry - does it mean that you never worry about how the bills will get paid or healthcare or anything else?

Thanks for anymore insight you can offer!:001_smile:

Both dh and I are "good things come to those who work hard" tempered with "stuff happens and some of it is going to happen to you". Sometimes life goes awry no matter how carefully you plan and how hard you work. Being able to bounce back in those situations is critical to living a fulfilling life.

Definitely! I believe that even people who work hard have hard times. And I think I have the bouncing back part down now.

Good things are around us all the time- we just have to open our eyes and see them. Gratitude for what we already have is the key to attracting abundance and good things./QUOTE]

How do you reach contentment with what you have? I really struggle with simply accepting where I am right now - I am always looking for better. I think I would be happier if I could see the good here and now and not worry about the rest, but I don't know how.

My personal view right now is good things come to those who can run away fast enough when the s*** hits the fan.
:tongue_smilie:

Your dad sounds like my grandmother - very comfortable, but she doesn't realize it (she figures she'll be broke next week.) Do you think your dad figured out what kind of life he wanted and did what he needed to do to achieve it or did it just happen that way?

No, it does not mean that. There is no such thing as "pre-destination".

(Pre-destination is part of theology for some other Christian groups, though.)

I didn't figure anyone would ask, so now I have to draft some sort of usable reply ! :) It's not going to be a well-crafted essay, because that would take more time than I have available, and more reply than you would want !

If anything is "good", its "goodness" derives from God. There is no other source for "goodness" besides Him.

If the question is about "receiving the 'good things' of this world", and whether that depends on my personal effort or not, I don't know how to answer. I can "play by the rules" of the world, think and plan to the best of my abilities, work hard, . . . and what occurs as a result is whatever occurs. We all know of people who have knocked themselves out silly with effort, yet still do not receive any tangible "reward" for their efforts.

If I receive "good things" while on earth, either God's will has sent them, or God's will has allowed them.

As I posted originally, I may consider something "a good thing" to receive or to have happen, but my limited, human understanding may be desiring something harmful, or inappropriate, or unneeded for me. So if I don't receive what I desire, the "not receiving" may be, in fact, what is "good".

I have many responsibilities as a person. I was not placed on earth to be a sponge, or a passive barnacle. I have work, tasks, plans, hopes, enjoyments, . . . everything which makes up an "active" life. I don't get my jollies from paying the bills, but it is a duty, and I keep abreast of them.

I possess total free will. God's foreknowledge of how I shall use my free will is not at all what other people call "pre-destination". God will not interfere with my free will. Not ever.

[May I be excused now ? :) )

Maybe you were asking something entirely different, to begin with !

Does this mean that no matter what you do it was already predestined? So, in my scenario, your position would be that if God wills it to happen then it will occur and you don't need to do anything to help make it happen?

I am really interested in hearing about this further. Does believing this mean there are no goals, future plans to work towards, etc? What about worry - does it mean that you never worry about how the bills will get paid or healthcare or anything else?

Thanks for anymore insight you can offer!:001_smile:

Yes, I see what you mean. I don't think what you are saying is far off from what I believe. I used the term "good things" but I wasn't thinking about material things, but rather at achieving goals (whatever they might be.)

I have many responsibilities as a person. I was not placed on earth to be a sponge, or a passive barnacle. I have work, tasks, plans, hopes, enjoyments, . . . everything which makes up an "active" life. I don't get my jollies from paying the bills, but it is a duty, and I keep abreast of them.

By this I would place you in the second category, based on my thought patterns. I am not a good writer, so I have a hard time expressing myself well.