Menu

What to take for the 4th of July potluck?

Keep it cool & simple... just toss lettuce & several different veges together for a big salad.

Or just slice carrots, cukes, celery, peppers, etc and make a vege tray (always better than the bought ones - they are to dry)

Really don't want to cook or make anything... take a big old 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell Ice Cream!:tongue_smilie:

This is easy. Make it tonight and let it chill.

1lb either bow tie or rotini pasta, cooked (the tri colored kind is fun)

1 bottle Italian salad dressing

chopped cucumber, tomato, red onion, black olives (how ever much you like; I like to load it up)

sliced pepperoni

shredded mozzarella

Mix it all up, chill and top with the cheese before serving.

Tasty, easy and won't spoil easily.

You could take the same thing I'll be taking, a brown rice salad with cranberries and walnuts.

The rice is on the stove now, and will go into the refrigerator as soon as it's done. Tomorrow morning I'll mix in dried cranberries (sweetened), toasted walnut pieces, a bit of chopped kohlrabi (I'd usually use celery, but that's not what I have on hand), a few scallions and some sort of vinaigrette dressing.

Once it's all mixed together, I'll put it back in the fridge until it's time to go.

Fresh salsa and chips is my standard. I make this salsa which is a nice change with cucumbers and lime.

Roma tomatoes

onion

green onion

jalapeno

cilantro

cucumber

lime juice

salt

Can also add cooked chicken or fish.

This is what we're taking:

Afternoon kid swim party -- pound cake cut out in star shapes, dusted with confectioner's sugar, and topped with either a blueberry or strawberry slice.

Evening cookout and fireworks --

greenbeans (my mom and I can greenbeans and I put them in the pot with the juice, drizzle with eeoo and salt, cook down till broth is gone and it is generally raved about at potlucks). We'll also take any extra star cut-outs from the afternoon, if there are any.

Our hosts always cook tons of meats and main dishes, so I will be making a flower salad with fresh veggies from both mine and the host's gardens, as well as flowers from the Dude's cottage cutting garden.

We will also be bringing the makings and our crank mixer to make coconut milk ice cream.

I may also make a zuchinni cake or bread.

A friend made this for our end of season bbq with baseball and it was a big hit. I'm bringing it tomorrow for our church bbq. You have to make the sauce tonight though so it can chill overnight.

Hawaiian Salad (Frog-Eye)

(base needs to be made ahead)

1 C Sugar

2T Flour

2 1/2 tsp Salt

1 3/4 C pineapple juice (from drained pineapple)

2 eggs--beaten

1 T lemon juice

3 Quarts water

1 T cooking oil

16 oz pasta--Acini Pepe

3 cans (11 oz each) Mandarin oranges (drained)

2 cans (20 oz each) pineapple chunks (drained)

1 can (20 oz) pineapple crushed

1-9 oz carton whipped topping

1 C mini marshmallows (optional)

1 C Coconut (optional)

Combine sugar, flour, and 1/2 tsp salt in medium saucepan. Gradualy stir in pineapple juice and eggs. Cook over moderate heat, stir until thick. Add lemon, cool to room temp. Bring water and rest of salt & oil to boil. Add pasta. Cook at rolling boil til pasta is done. Drain pasta, rinse, drain, cool to room temp. Combine egg mixture and pasta; mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight in air tight container.

In morning, add rest of ingred.; mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrig. til chilled. Salad may refrig. for as long as a week, may also be frozen but freezing alters texture.

This is easy. Make it tonight and let it chill.

1lb either bow tie or rotini pasta, cooked (the tri colored kind is fun)

1 bottle Italian salad dressing

chopped cucumber, tomato, red onion, black olives (how ever much you like; I like to load it up)

sliced pepperoni

shredded mozzarella

Mix it all up, chill and top with the cheese before serving.

Tasty, easy and won't spoil easily.

This is what I do, too. I like to use Orzo for the pasta and feta for the cheese, though.

I'm going to make "Red, White & Bleu slaw" tomorrow. Red cabbage, bleu cheese dressing. Easy, yummy, festive.

Would you share the recipe for this??

LOL ... seriously:

Red cabbage, shredded. Your favorite bleu cheese dressing in a bottle. Add enough to make it taste right.

I have to admit, I'm going to play with it tomorrow some. I can't find a salad dressing without soybean or canola oil (which we're trying to cut from our diets), so I'm going to try with some sour cream and bleu cheese and ... I dunno, haven't totally decided yet.

My go to recipe is Oriental Salad:

1 package Broccoli slaw

1 c. sunflower seeds

1 c. sliced almonds (toasted)

2 packages of beef ramen noodles (minus seasoning packets) broken up

Dressing:

1/2 cup each of:

olive oil

sugar

Braggs Apple Cider vinegar

2 beef seasoning packets from Ramen Noodles

Mix together first four ingredients. Mix together dressing and pour over salad. I usually mix up the dressing before I go and then stir it all together when i get to my destination (that way the ramen noodles stay crunchy).

My absolute FAVE salad and I get requests for the recipe all the time.

Kristi

Guest Katia

I would take Deviled Eggs. They are easy to make, I always have all of the ingredients on hand, and they are cool and refreshing.

My favorite 4th food (alliterative, too!):

Sugar cookie dough baked rectangularly (9x13 pan, or on a rect. stone...whatever), frost with sweetened cream cheese, top with sliced strawberries & fresh blueberries to look like a flag. Yummy!! And decorative. and easy.

You've gotten lots of great ideas! I'm getting hungry!

Here's a simple summer salad that's a hit at potlucks:

Eight cups mixed:

Cubed watermelon

Cubed cantaloupe

Cucumbers, sliced or cubed (I usually use 2 cucumbers.)

Mix in a small bowl:

4 Tbs. balsamic vinegar

Juice from 1/2 lemon

1 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

Fresh-ground pepper

Pour vinegar mixture over the melon/cucumber and stir. Voila!

Cat

These are great ideas. Good thing I will be going to a number of potlucks this summer, so I can try them all out.

Don't shoot me but I ended up making something that Erek's Mom had suggested on another thread. I've had this before but instead of calling it "Copper Pennies" we called it "Aunt Edna's Carrot Salad"!

Copper Pennies

Ingredients:

2 lbs carrots – sliced round like little orange pennies

1 cup celery – sliced (optional)

2 onions – thinly sliced

1 green pepper – thinly sliced

1 can tomato soup – approximately 10 oz size

2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup vinegar

½ cup salad oil (olive oil is nice)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp prepared mustard

1 tsp salt

Back pepper – to taste

Directions:

Cook carrots until tender but do not overcook.

Drain carrots well and mix with celery, onions, and green pepper.

Place remaining ingredients in a pot and heat until just boiling.

Pour red cooked mixture over carrots and vegetables.

Refrigerate for 8-12 hours before serving.