Menu

Have you been happy with the My Generation dolls from Target?

My dd is showing interest and would like the bed and bath tub also because in her words "she'll need to take a bath sometimes." :lol: I know that QVC has an American Girl show in their Christmas in July and usually have a pretty good size set for a decent price compared to ordering direct from AG during that show but the Target dolls seem very well priced if they are kind of the same thing.

Anyone have the my twin doll? Is it worth the $$?

If this is for a 2yo, look for a different kind of doll. My dd got a My Generation doll for Christmas with 4 outfits and has played with it, but she's too young to really care for that complex a doll. I went the MG route because I'd been warned that AG was geared toward 8yo and up. The MG doll's hair can't be styled roughly or it becomes a rat's nest. The dresses require good fine motor skills to put on and have a lot of small accessories that are easy to lose. I didn't mind spending $70 on a doll and a bunch of clothes knowing that dd would probably not care for them well enough to keep them nice, but I wouldn't shell out for an AG until she's older.

If your dd really wants to bathe the doll, go with a plastic baby doll. Target has some nice ones for about $20. If you bathe an MG or AG doll, they'll be ruined.

We have a rule around here. You have to be 7 to have an AG doll. We have several and any younger you're taking a chance of them being ruined. My daughter got a MG doll as a birthday present when she was four. The hair became a rat's nest. I know this has happened to friends of mine MG too, so I do think they aren't for preschoolers, either. If you must get her an AG and it gets ruined, you can always send it in to the hospital to be repaired, but it'll cost you.

If you have a younger one, I highly recommend the Bitty Baby AG sells. Both my girls love them and they are very preschooler friendly.

We tried the MG doll, and it just didn't wear well. The hair was particularly horrible after about a week. If your dd is very young she probably won't mind, though, and even an AG doll has to be properly cared for or it can turn into a mess. :001_smile:

Whatever you do, don't buy the white table and chairs that go with the Target dolls. I was trying to get out of paying a lot of money for the AG table and chairs so I bought the one from Target. It fell apart in a couple of days, and it was not played with roughly.

My girls have had both. The MG dolls aren't worth even the $29 IMO. The hair is horrible, and we've lost limbs! lol. I second just getting a baby doll for a younger child, and when they are 8 or so, go for the AG doll. The girls got one for their 9th birthday and they are MUCH better quality dolls.

Ditto the above. The MG dolls are cheaply made (hence, that's why they're cheap :D) and won't last long until the hair gets ratty (doesn't matter how often it's brushed/how well it's maintained) pretty quickly.

I'd go with baby dolls for youngers (6 and below) and consider an AG for 6/7 and up. My girls love their AG dolls and play with them all. the. time. :)

My dd is showing interest and would like the bed and bath tub also because in her words "she'll need to take a bath sometimes." :lol: I know that QVC has an American Girl show in their Christmas in July and usually have a pretty good size set for a decent price compared to ordering direct from AG during that show but the Target dolls seem very well priced if they are kind of the same thing.

Anyone have the my twin doll? Is it worth the $$?

Note that the My Twinn is a larger doll (22" possibly?) than the AG or MG dolls and may or may not be able to use accessories designed for the smaller dolls.

K got a MG for her 6th bday (last August); loved all the time, traveled thousands of miles, and it's still in great shape . She loves doing her hair, and I'm not thrilled with the way it's cut (came in pigtails and looks choppy if left down) but most styles still come out cute. No way am I paying $100+ for a doll!

My dd got Bitty Baby for her 4th birthday and Samantha for her 7th. I told her she had to be able to read the books before she got her AG doll. :) We have a table and chairs that I got second hand but most of the furniture was from other sources.

I don't think the My Twin dolls work size wise with the AG accessories or clothes.

Not happy with the one MG doll we have. The hair is terrible. The horses' hair varies from one to another - one horse has wonderful hair, another has hair just like the doll. You have to use a wig brush from the beginning on the hair, spritzing it lightly with water before brushing, and even then the ends can get frayed. The only things we've liked are the clothing (except the shoes don't always fit right) and the closet. The closet is worth the $52, IMHO.

Just going to echo what many are saying. My daughter has a MG doll and an AG doll. The hair on the Target doll is horrible and was matted and tangled almost as soon as we got her out of the box. I spend more time fixing the doll's hair than my daughter's.

K got a MG for her 6th bday (last August); loved all the time, traveled thousands of miles, and it's still in great shape . She loves doing her hair, and I'm not thrilled with the way it's cut (came in pigtails and looks choppy if left down) but most styles still come out cute. No way am I paying $100+ for a doll!

My 4 year old got one for Christmas, and while she's not as loved as the one above, M-girl really likes her. I totally agree about the hair, it is very choppily styled and I've had to fix (un-knot) the hair several times (pulling out a lot in the process)

That being said, she enjoys taking that doll to play with her friends with their dolls. She can change the dresses on it, and we haven't had other major problems. For a 4 year old, it doesn't bother me too much.

A few hair tips from a friend who's a doll collector and who rescued the hair of an AG doll that we bought at a yard sale:

Always use a wig brush or doll hair brush and never use that brush on human hair as it will transfer oils to the doll's hair

Always make sure the hair is at least damp before attempting to brush it

You can use a little bit of human leave-in hair conditioner on it to help get the tangles out---work from the bottom up and be as gentle as possible

My DD (then 4) wanted an AG doll this past Christmas. She found out about them when the company kept sending their catalogs to our house (darn catalogs lol). But she just does not play with dolls enough to justify $100 for a doll, plus the cost of AG accessories. Plus, 4 (and she's 5 now) is just too young to care for such an expensive doll.

Soooo, I did a lot of research and found out that the Springfield Dolls are very good. ( http://www.springfielddolls.com/ ) They can be found at Michael's and AC Moore. They are 18", just like the AG dolls. They are about $20 or $25 but those two stores always offer 40% or 50% off coupons so you can get them at a GREAT price. I got one (I mean, Santa got one) for each of my girls. A brunette for my 4 year old and a blonde for my nearly two year old (who is now 2). They have had them since Christmas time and are still holding strong. The arms/legs seem to be in tact very well. And before I (errr, Santa) gave it to them at Christmas time I cut the brunette dolls hair into a cut that was more like my 4 year old's. Because she had wanted one of the AG "look alike" dolls.

Well, she is none the wiser! She thinks she has an AG doll! We have a bin full of clothing....and even a sleeping bag/pillow that I found on etsy. She changed the clothes often.

You can buy AG clothes, Springfield clothes, or MG clothes. Personally, I like to go on www.etsy.com and look for clothing on there. They handmake some cute stuff for great prices!

My girls have had both. The MG dolls aren't worth even the $29 IMO. The hair is horrible, and we've lost limbs! lol. I second just getting a baby doll for a younger child, and when they are 8 or so, go for the AG doll. The girls got one for their 9th birthday and they are MUCH better quality dolls.

I agree...waste of money. The clothes are poor and the seams come loose. They don't stay on either. Garbage. My dd has put the AG doll through the ringer and it's all stayed together. The MG doll I bought for her when she hardly played with dolls. The clothes were used once and hard to put on. The dolls were less than pleasing.