Menu

S/O evolution thread, ? about young/old earth

I have read some of the evolution thread, and I will admit, most of it goes way over my head. I don't remember learning a whole heck of a lot about evolution in school, and I didn't grow up going to church very often. I have been a Christian for a long time, and that will not ever change. :) I will say that I don't think it makes a hill of beans if you "believe" in evolution or not, in regards to salvation. The main thing, to me, is a believe in and love of Jesus Christ as the Son of the Living God and sacrifice for the sins of man. Just wanted to clarify that right off the bat.

Now to get on to my question: What if you don't know what you believe about young earth, old earth, etc? I believe that God created everything just as explained in Genesis, but I don't know if it took Him seven 24 hour days or not. I haven't read much on the subject, I will admit, so I am quite ignorant. I would love to read some good (read: easy to understand) literature on the subject. I would love to say I prefer bible-based Christian resources, but I am afraid that will limit the information. Can anyone help a girl out?

Thanks, and I hope I don't sound too dumb. This is all kind of new territory for me. My kids and I are running across some stuff in our studies that definitely make it necessary for me to be educated about this creation stuff.

Thanks again!!

Ruth Beechick has some nice simple reads on this subject, some nonfiction and at least one fictionalized ("Adam and His Kin" ... great read).

AiG has some kids' materials, but the little bit I saw of one video had me not impressed ... I don't like materials that bash other perspectives, even ones I disagree with. I think they have some books too, that might be better.

Acts & Facts is a free magazine with good articles too ... I think it's the Institute for Creation Research that does that one.

All of the above are young earth creation.

I think it's Hugh Ross (?) that has old earth creation stuff, but the one book I have by him is a bit over my head.

I'd have to check my shelves to see what else I've got. I've been doing some research myself this year as my kids are getting old enough to ask those pesky "How old is the earth?" type questions. :) And dh and I have differing opinions, so absolutely I have to find respectful materials.

I'll second Answers in Genesis (AIG) and Institute for Creation Research (ICR) for the best thoughts about Young Earth science views.

Personally, I could see it being either way. I definitely don't feel the earth is billions of years old either way - too much doesn't agree with that number.

I don't feel it is a salvation issue...

Edited to add: I quit reading that other thread after the first few hours. Too much arguing and too little accepting that intelligent people might disagree for my tastes. I'm way too busy to read bickering - regardless of subject. To each our own.

Edited by creekland

I am really interested in this topic too, being a scientist and a Christian. The Language of God by Francis Collins could be a good place to start. He was the head of the Human Genome Project and is a strong Christian who believes in God as the creator of everything, but with evolution being a possible mechanism of creation. He refers to this idea as BioLogos.

Hugh Ross believes in an old earth, but not in evolution, and has some interesting things to say too.

Definitely check out Reasons to Believe for the old-earth side of things. Founder Dr. Hugh Ross (who is a peer-recognized scientist) has written many scholarly works on these subjects. Lots is way over my head, but much is not...check out his website. It's pretty comprehensive and very helpful.

I, too, believe that the Bible has much to say about the origins of the universe; I hold to a Biblical account of all created things. I also firmly believe that God's nature displays truth as he is the author of truth, and not a god of confusion or deception. The main problem I have with a young earth is that valid science does show the earth is old; valid science shows the universe is ancient. Why would God create the illusion of age? That goes against His very nature. Therefore, I do believe in an ancient universe and earth. But the key for me is that that God created it all for his Own Glory.

I'm not going to die on the young/old hill. I have friends who are vehemently young earth, and I'm never going to take them to task for it, and I would hope that they would have the grace not to do so towards me, as well. In some circles (my church) my husband and I just don't bring it up.

I watched some DVDs a few years ago that I think would intereste you. They featured a guy who goes by the name "Dr. Dino." He is a young-earth creationist. I do not know if he is associated with Answers in Genesis or not though. I don't necessarily agree with everything he believes but he is interesting.

I second the Collins book, and would add Michael Behe's newer book (an easier read than the first one): The Edge of Evolution.

I also like a couple of books by physicists, Into the Cosmos being one of them.

If you can get Privileged Planet, the movie, from Netflix or elsewhere, it is also worth a look.

I'll 3rd (or 4th) Hugh Ross and Reasons to Believe. There is also Answers in Creation for more on Old Earth perspectives.

I have recently purchased A Biblical Case for an Old Earth , but I haven't finished reading it.

Thanks for the link to AIC...I hadn't heard of them before, and they had some interesting curriculum reviews. I've been having a hard time finding science curriculum that didn't fall into a strictly YE perspective...

Personally, I handle the question by not worrying about it. We use a young earth science text simply to get away from the evolution stuff, which I definitely don't believe. The age of the earth isn't a big deal to me; it doesn't change salvation at all. So, I teach the kids that God created the earth and how he did it (exactly) and how long it took him won't be known until He reveals it to us. Until then, it's all theory.

ETA: I'm not saying that I avoid talking about evolution, I just don't want it constantly shoved at us. I explain to my kids what evolutionists believe and why I don't agree.

Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation, by Dennis Petersen is a great resource for young earth creationists. I have the 1st edition so I'm not certain what the updates in the 2nd are.

Also check out In the Beginning, by Walt Brown, Pd.D. I believe it's also young earth, but written a bit more technically than Unlocking the Mysteries.

Just wanted to thank you for this thread.. I've had a lot of questions about presenting evolution AND creation, but after reading the other "evolution" threads was worried about posting and stirring up another hornets nest...I was looking for items to read myself to help me explain to my young one both sides.. or all 4 sides (there are so many ideas)..and like another poster mentioned I don't like reading things that bash the other side..just the facts or reasonings.

thanks again..

I enjoy hearing the theories, but not to the point where I think it really matters. I know there is a Creator, whether or not it happened millions of years ago or a few thousand. I don't think we will ever "know." A day to God could have been a million years. Or a day.

I don't know why people even argue over something nobody can prove.

I would love to say I prefer bible-based Christian resources, but I am afraid that will limit the information. Can anyone help a girl out?
My Bible Encyclopedia (Insight on the Scriptures has this to say: That a day can be longer than 24 hours is indicated by Genesis 2:4, which speaks of all the creative periods as one "day."

Also, more than 4,000 years after the seventh day, or God’s rest day, commenced, Paul indicated that it was still in progress. At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Ps 95:7, 8, 11) and to Genesis 2:2

More: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...6&postcount=55

I actually think this is good timing because the hornets are tired! :lol: This one is anyway!

I am really interested in this topic too, being a scientist and a Christian. The Language of God by Francis Collins could be a good place to start. He was the head of the Human Genome Project and is a strong Christian who believes in God as the creator of everything, but with evolution being a possible mechanism of creation. He refers to this idea as BioLogos.

Hugh Ross believes in an old earth, but not in evolution, and has some interesting things to say too.

I second the recommendation for The Language of God. Great book -- strengthened my faith in God and belief in evolution at the same time.

I just requested the book by Collins from my library. Seems like that is a good place to start. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am going to spend some time looking at the websites you all have mentioned. I really appreciate it!!!

Do some reading on Intelligent Design, which says that God created the world but that the days and hours might not be something that we can understand in human terms. I see no reason that science and God both can't be right. :)

Intelligent Design is an intentionally deceptive and insulting pseudoscience. It's an attempt to "prove" God without mentioning him (referring to him as simply the "designer" -- who might not be God, wink wink).

Frankly, I find every attempt to explain creationism by using scientific evidence to be deceptive or just plain bad reasoning. If you believe that God created the Earth in a short time, or didn't use evolution, you have to ignore the scientific evidence or claim that God "faked it".

I believe that God created the Earth and us humans, but the evidence is that he took a long time to do it, and that evolution was involved.

Intelligent Design is an intentionally deceptive and insulting pseudoscience. It's an attempt to "prove" God without mentioning him (referring to him as simply the "designer" -- who might not be God, wink wink).

Frankly, I find every attempt to explain creationism by using scientific evidence to be deceptive or just plain bad reasoning. If you believe that God created the Earth in a short time, or didn't use evolution, you have to ignore the scientific evidence or claim that God "faked it".

I believe that God created the Earth and us humans, but the evidence is that he took a long time to do it, and that evolution was involved.

Let us please keep this a peaceful thread.

I was being peaceful. After reading Behe's 700 pages of testimony in the Dover trial I have no respect for him.

From my perspective, I see him "lying for the Lord" and the problem with teaching this is that as soon as our children grow up and see the massive evidence that they've not been exposed to, they'll doubt all that we teach them.

We teach our kids that they're children of God, that the Christ's Atonement is what frees us from sin, and that what we learn from studying the world around us may be surprising but it doesn't disprove God. I'm amazed that any Christians ever agreed (essentially) that if evolution were proven, God would be disproved.

From my perspective, I see him "lying for the Lord" and the problem with teaching this is that as soon as our children grow up and see the massive evidence that they've not been exposed to, they'll doubt all that we teach them.

Nakia, If you would like another take on this (above quote) you may be interested in Already Gone. I can't recommend it since I haven't read it, but I heard one of its authors speak on the topic at at conference recently.

Happy reading!

I was being peaceful. After reading Behe's 700 pages of testimony in the Dover trial I have no respect for him.

We teach our kids that they're children of God, that the Christ's Atonement is what frees us from sin, and that what we learn from studying the world around us may be surprising but it doesn't disprove God. I'm amazed that any Christians ever agreed (essentially) that if evolution were proven, God would be disproved.

It only takes one strongly voiced opinion in a thread where none was asked for, for things to take a turn for the worse.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph. That is the reason for this post.