Menu

How many miles does your car have?

:confused: Why then the warning to not let children ride in the front seat with airbags until they weigh 100 lbs? I thought airbags killed or seriously injured children. :confused:

The front air bags were desiged to stop a 150 lb male not wearing a seat belt from crashing through the windshield. Supposedly the 2nd generation dashboard air bags adjust for weight, if they're available yet.

I don't know what the side airbags are designed for.

Our Hyundia Elantra is 6 years old with 170,000 and we have only had to replace the brake pads and tires. My Nissan pickup is an 87 with well over 300,000 (The speedometer quite working 6 years ago). We haven't done anything major on it a new starter and a fly wheel. We believe in driving them until the tires fall off. :D

We have four vehicles. We're retiring one as it does need fixing but since it's over 235,000 miles on it we're not sure it's worth bothering. Two cars each have about 150,000 miles on them and are fine. These first three cars are from 1997, 1995 and 1994. And then we have the new car which has about 50,000 miles on it.

We LIKE our new car, but I sure can't see writing off a car just because it has 100,000 miles on it. It still has another lifetime ahead of it!

BTW, I did grow up in a house where we got new vehicles every 9-12 months. I just live another lifestyle now and can't imagine....

Edited by 2J5M9K

My 1991 Dodge Dakota has 350,000 miles and still runs. It does not idle correctly, so it's been sitting for 2 years while we search for a computer for it. But it still starts when we need it for an emergency vehicle. It ran well until the idle problem the last couple months before we parked it.

It's had one rebuilt transmission(manual 4 sp +overdrive) at 200,000 and a warranty repair on that at 220,000. Catalytic converter every 100,000 - 125,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump once, water pump once, assorted minor stuff. I stripped it, primed it, & had Maaco put their top of the line paint coat on it at 200,000; it's still good except for minor rust around the fenders now.

My 2002 Lincoln Navigator has 95,000 miles on it. I am hoping it reaches 200,000 miles before I have to get a new car. I like the idea of using up a car before I buy a new one.

DH's 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis has about the same mileage. In the past, he always bought a new car every 3 years, but now we just hope this one holds together for a few more years. (At least, I do.)

1999 Chrysler Town and Country mini-van has 81,000. We got it used when it was six years old and had 31,000. Since hubby takes the train to work, it is just me running local errands pretty much.

Lets see - repair-wise, I just put in a new muffler and exhaust pipe, and had a sensor fixed so we would pass out emission test. Last year we did brakes and shocks, and had a strut replaced. The year before that - new tires. A few years ago the van had a nervous breakdown while on vacation south of Norfolk, VA and ended up towed - after a quickly fix we made it home and the dealer had to have Chrysler send out a new "computer brain" for the van - this was under warranty thank goodness. Without the new "brain" the alarm would spontaneously go off (lights and horn), also the air conditioner would stop, and the van wold also decide to stop running (which is alarming when you are on a 55-mph road). I get the oil changed every few months/3,000 miles.

Edited by JFSinIL

1996 Saturn SL2 with about 140,000K. We won't do any major repairs on it at this point but we're not buying a new car until it dies. We just got a new timing belt for about $350 but haven't had anything other than oil changes in the past 2 years.

2006 Kia Sedona minivan with about 45,000 on it.

Well that stands to reason. I watched one of those evening news programs once that claimed the airbag technology had been around for a long time, but was only implemented because people weren't buckling up.

The side airbags make sense to me, since getting T-boned at intersections can be fatal.