Menu

Tiny holes in bottoms of shirts...

I have been trying to figure out the cause of the tiny pin holes I seem to get at the bottom of all my shirts...right around the belly button area. It has been driving me crazy! I have checked my pants for something sharp around the button, my seatbelt in the car, etc...thought about the laundry but think the holes would be in various places, not always the same place, if it was the laundry or something in the washer or dryer.

My sister noticed that she gets them as well...2-3 pinhole size holes around the bottom of her shirts. :glare:

Does anyone else get them?

I've been getting that lately- and always in my "nice" shirts- Talbot's, etc. At first I thought it was b/c they were thinner, more delicate fabric than plain men's medium pocket t-shirts.

After it happened to a bunch of shirts, and not just one or two, I noticed that with the one pair of low-rise jeans I have, the fabric zipper placket (don't know what to call it?) gaps a little, leaving a few of the metal zipper teeth and the zipper pull exposed. I imagine that rubs on the shirt right where it meets seat belts, counter tops, etc.

Yeah I get them too. Well, moreso it is in my boys' shirts. I often tease them about their belly button hole shirts they sleep in. :p

But I have the problem with some of mine too. However, they have migrated. I have the same kinds of holes in other places. Ugh.

I think it's from the washing machine drain holes. I used to get them worse back when we had a top loader with a central agitator, but I still get them somewhat during the spin cycle on my front loader. Strong detergents break down the cotton fibers and the washing machine eats them.

Barb

We used to get little holes in our shirts, but I don't remember if they were around the belly button or not. I assume it was from our top loading washer, because we don't get them now with our front loader.

Have you taken the agitator off to see if something got stuck down there?

I get them. I've always thought they are from a combination of the belt buckle and me leaning into counters and the washing machine all the time, which have cleaner residue. I think by now, every single one of my cotton shirts has these holes.

I also do not wear belts but have a little extra padding around the middle. All the holes I have ever had are located right around the belly button area. two or three small holes. I would find it very fascinating if your washing machine consistently placed holes near the belly button area but nowhere else. That would be a smart machine. My personal opinion.......leaning against the counter. I believe the shirt wears out where the shirt is in between the metal button on your jeans and the counter top. Don't you just love lifes little mysteries. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was getting a stain shaped like a ring right around the same area. I don't seem to get that one anymore but I think that was from holding the cooking spray can against my waist while I tried to remove the tight fitting lid. I may never know. :confused1:

I used to get slightly bigger holes when I worked in a lab in the same area from acid from the countertop getting on the shirt when I leaned against the counter. This was before the company cracked down on safety issues and enforced the lab coat rule.

it is nice to know I am not the only one walking around with holes in my shirts. I just can't afford to throw them all out every time I get these holes. I can't believe it is the washing machine because it is only in one spot. Leaning against the counter and the zipper part of the pants are the most logical causes. I don't wear a belt and never tuck my shirts.

LOL I have to laugh at the belly button monster suggestion because I often joke about that with the kids.