Menu

So many kids, so little time....Your thoughts?

hmschooling

We're soon to have our 4th child...all will be 8 and under. And who knows how many more God has in store for us. Their skills are too varied to combine to my liking and I want to take a more relaxed approach and start enjoying schooling again, instead of it being a chore. And I'm tired of even the least school-like curriculum seeming like a chore to the kids. You know...more CM-like I guess but not shallow or lacking. I'm just thinking about schooling with toddlers and newborns.

This is my tentative plan of progressions by subject, and I'd appreciate your thoughts...is it too light? reasonable? Is it shallow or lacking? Am I missing something?

Phonics/Reading:

Pre-K to K- Reading Made Easy (my kids all have bdays that make them old for their grade so starting phonics in PK is reasonable to me)

1st- Emerging Reader Set from HOD & Reading Made Easy 2 (If she decides for sure to write this)

2nd- Read DITHOR level 2 books (not with DITHOR plans)

3rd- Read DITHOR Level 3 books (not with DITHOR plans)

4th- Read several books from Preparing Hearts for His Glory

4th-8th- DITHOR Level 4/5 and 6/7/8

Math:

K-6th- Singapore math (up to at least 5B, 6B if we get there)

2nd-4th- Add in Calculadders

6th-12th Life of Fred: Fractions up to hopefully Statistics

Language Arts:

K- BJU Handwriting 1&2 (for early cursive), Lots of audio books/read alouds with drawn narrations

1st- Lots of audio books/read-alouds with drawn and oral narration, simple copywork and spelling words

2nd-Primary Langauge Lessons with Guide (complete in 1 year, adjust amt. of writing as needed), audio books/read alouds with casual narration, drawn narration of history books

3rd/4th- Intermediate Language lessons with Guide, audiobooks/read alouds with occasional narration (enough in ILL), practice reading aloud, narration of history books

5th-9th or 10th- R&S 5-8 at dc's pace, more formal oral and written narrations, all other LA in HOD now

Science/Bible:

With Dad

Mostly living books for science, more formal science in 3rd+ with littles tagging along doing what they can- using Considering God's Creation

Bible will be at dad's discression

3rd+ Independent Bible time using Train Up Studies

I might add in a Character Lesson curriculum or CM-style Habit training for all ages

5th grade-8th- Science in HOD

9th to 12th- Apologia?

History:

PK-4th- We'll use living books, many from HOD, Beautiful Feet, etc. Nothing formal, just exposure. Narrations (drawn, oral, or written depending on age)

5th-8th Will start formal studies using HOD as is for all subjects

9th-12 Maybe My Father's World High School cycle or Beautiful Feet high school history guides

Misc. (not all at the same time of course! ;))

Preschool educational music cd's

Troxel Songs (geography, states/caps, grammar, etc.)

Spanish and Latin Cd's (like Hop, Skip, Sing Spanish, Song School Latin, Memoria Press Latin song cd, etc.)

Wee Sing Cd's

Hymns for the Child's Heart

Plenty of Library books for free reading

online learning games (sheppardsoftware.com, answers for kids, kids of courage, etc.)

Hide Em In Your Heart CD's

Westminster Catachism cd's

Nature Walks and notebook (when it isn't so hot! 1x/wk goal)

weekly crafts or other hands-on (occasionally something messy or something yummy)

BF Teaching Character Through Literature ??? (1-2 times weekly)

Conversation With Character (1-2 times weekly)

I still haven't decided if we'll start formal studies with them at 4th grade with Preparing or 5th with HFHTT: CTC...they'll be prepared for the skills in either one, but I like having us all together and I want to be sure they are ready to work independently. Might be a kid-by-kid decision. So once one reaches 4th/5th grade, they fold out of the youngers plans to a fairly independent level, leaving me able to focus on teh youngers still using the above programs, and still be available to help when needed. This keeps me from having to do 2-4 HOD guides at once, bonds our family with combined studies, lessens my stress, and keeps the kids learning (and loving it!).

How's it sound to you?? :bigear:

WOW! You have given this a great deal of time and focus. That is amazing!

My thoughts are if you feel this is the way God wants you to go, go for it. I would add to be flexible for each child as they move up. The best laid plans can be revised for one who needs that extra time or different approach. Of course, I can tell you are the type pf person who has already considered that possibility and allowed for it.

Good luck!

Honestly, I don't think you can really tell much about your kids abilities at the ages of your children. I also wouldn't plan more than 1 yr, b/c skills, products, life, etc all change. While formulating future plans/goals can create a sense of direction and goals, the practicality of such an endeavor is not going to go very far beyond that. Planning that far ahead doesn't take into account actual individual learning styles, possible family crises, rapidly changing skills as well as interests.

FWIW, some subjects are easy to multi-level teach regardless of age. 2 yrs ago I combined my then 3rd, 6th, and 8th graders in part of history.......the parts I read aloud. Some of our selections were hard and I had to stop and explain portions to the 3rd grader, some selections were easier but still informative and interesting. They still each had their own books that they had to read on their own. But our discussions were all together with everyone participating on their own level.

Also, skills can change rapidly. My rising 8th grader really struggled with learning to read. He wasn't on grade level until 4th grade. However by 6th, he was above grade level. I combined him and his 2 yrs older book-loving sister in Literary Lessons from LOTRs in 6/8 and 7/9. It worked extremely well. I simply made his essay assignments more concrete/less complex while hers were high school appropriate essays.

These same 2 kids have been combined in math since ds was in 5th grade. I had no idea when he was little that he would become so far advanced that the would catch up to his older sister (who herself is about 1 yr ahead of average, on par with advanced math students). But, by 5th grade he was ready to join her in the course I use to teach pre-alg/pre-geo and is currently going into alg 2 with her as an 8th grader.

It is just impossible to know what your kids will ultimately end up being able to do when until you do! ;)

A few other thoughts.......the longer you teach, the more you will refine your own teaching skills and your own educational philosophies. Products that appeal to now might not appeal to you at all later on and vice versa. Not to mention that every yr more and more products become available as homeschooling becomes more popular.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future. Where you want to go and what you want to use will be revealed to you gradually as you go along. Enjoy the fun of flexibility and freedom that you have now while all your children are young. The days of having to have a general 4 yr-plan (really only needed for high school) will definitely come soon enough.

Sorry.... My mind simply cannot wrap around planning that far ahead.

Once we dug our hands into homeschooling, our thought processes changed. I found I'm not a textbook only gal, but I also found that I need/like textbooks for a few things.

I found what I liked (to look at) for science was different that what I liked to USE. I found my best laid plans at reading (which worked for dd) didn't work for ds.

Then toss in there that better things come along.... Story of the World, First Language Lessons, Tapestry... These are things that didn't exist my first year of homeschooling, but I'm awfully grateful they do now.

To stay sane, and trust me, I hear you on the many kids, we're about to have 8 in TEN years (which translates to 4 in 5 TWICE, lol) with our only "reasonable & responsible" break being three years between our oldest and our second. :P But, to stay sane, I've had to tweak and adjust each year.

I love the idea of buying curriculum once, taking great care of it, and using it about nine times. But the truth is, when I find something that teaches it better, or something that works better for our family, I switch. Because looking at something is so very different that using it. And I'd really try to stay planned/flexible. It's good to plan. But it's good to be able to flex when it's needed....... ;)

Many of us here would confess to planning years down the road and ultimately never using those plans. Things change so much in ways we can't imagine that it's best to just plan for this year.

We have a lot of children too and have homeschooled going on 20 years, so I'll share what I learned through trial and error.

-Keep it simple

-Use someone elses simple plans whenever you can. Even if you love to plan, like I do, still use plans from time to time. It will help you learn to create your own plans without going overboard. Beautiful Feet plans for History and the science one would work well with the plan you outlined, so go for it.

-PLL and ILL are fun, but time consuming. Think about using workbooks for grammar and spelling.

-Have you used Drawin Into the Heart for reading? It's a great idea, but again it requires a lot of planning, xeroxing and time. We use it a few times a year, but more often I use discussion guides that I've purchased or found online. If you use it with each child every month, you'll burn out very quickly.

-Don't buy in advance, buy just what you will start using in the next few months.

I don't have a large family, just three kids, but I wanted to chime in here and let you know that as a future goal, all of these plans look great. I think you've finally added some simplification to your lives. As others said, just be ready to change something if it stops working, even for one kid (EX. I wanted like everything to use Singapore, but it didn't work for us so I had to make a change).

Also, several of those subjects are pretty teacher involved. The grammar is the one that leaps out at me, but the math also could take quite a bit from the teacher. You might want to consider using something more individual/workbookish, even if you just break it up where you are doing oral work one year with one child, while the next is using a workbook, and so on. Also, I believe in waiting until a bit later to begin grammar and spelling (2nd for spelling, 3rd for grammar) then I fold those subjects in.

I can see this working for you.

Alison

Well, I want to commend you and give you a pat on the back for putting time into developing your homeschooling vision. I think that is wonderful! I completely relate to your thoughts on not making school a chore and wanting to make it work for your large family in-the-making.

I think if you followed this plan with each of your children they would have a wonderful education. I'm sure as you go, you'll tweak and adapt and maybe you'll add bits of other philosophies. Maybe you'll have a child or two that won't fit the mold as much as the others and you'll adapt for him/her. Just remain flexible and have an open heart and it will be great.

I'll be starting my 4th year of homeschooling this fall and my oldest is not quite 9, so I don't have the experience to speak to the specifics of your long-term plan - I just wanted to post to encourage you in your planning!

Thanks for the input.

Of course I know plans change but this is the progression I'd like to see, even if it happens 2 grades later than I'd hoped. I don't have the money to buy more curriculum, plus all the kids are going to be together for read-alouds for history, storytime, etc. That's where the simplicity comes in. My goal is to work in a manner that prepares them for Heart of Dakota's upper guides.

I'm changing from using Rod and Staff grammar to a more gentle approach the will cover the things I want to do but don't have time if it's separate, as well as taking a more gentle approach on grammar. Since my kids are so far apart in age and ability, one will gain the independence I need them to have while the next starts needing more of me.

Gotta run! Thanks!

:) I can so relate to your desire, need?, to have a long term roadmap! I am the same way. I planned out K-12 on a big Excel spreadsheet. I change it as needed. I use it to keep track of other options for the different subjects in case the original plans don't work well. If I come across a great program/curricula, I add it to the possibilities for whatever year it would be useful. For example, I just added LoF/Fractions to the Math section of Grade 6. I don't know if I'll use it, but it's on my chart so I won't forget it. I'll look at it when we get there and decide.

A lot of folks think it's crazy to plan so far ahead, but I think they're assuming that one plans to stick to that long term plan like glue. I need to have a long term plan. It's a road map. If I don't know where I want to head, I may not get there.

Writing out a long term K-12 plan is also a way for us data-point gathers to be able to write down the name of a book/curriculum and have it out of our head until we get there.

I don't buy too far ahead unless I want to read it myself.

For me the best part is that I don't worry about whether I should be using something else. I know that we can get where we need to be (ie, where I want the kids to be) using the materials we're using. If something turns out not to work, I've got a list of other options.

My oldest are only 8 yo, entering 4th, so I can't really help with your higher levels. The only thing I did notice was using LoF for high school. From what I've gathered from the LoF threads, it seems like most people are using it more as a supplement? I wonder if it is systematic, rigorous, and thorough enough to use on its own for high school? I hope to use it, but as a supplement to NEM/Dolciani/Foerster. You could ask on the high school boards. Maybe someone there has done LoF as their main hs math program.

Good luck! Have fun!

yvonne

Of course I know plans change but this is the progression I'd like to see, even if it happens 2 grades later than I'd hoped.

:iagree: I think it's critical to be able to see the progression, to have some idea of where one's going. Some of us need to write it all out & some don't. I do & I love being able to see it all there, on paper. It keeps me from panicking or feeling like I have do everything right now.

Don't take it personally when others warn you about not planning too far out. They're just assuming that that you plan to stick to your long term plan come hell or high water. Having more experience, they know first hand how important it is to be open to modifying any plan. They're just trying to warn you not to be too wedded to "the plan" !

Sometimes, it's more effective to narrow the question.... "Here's the progression I'm planning for math. Does this make sense? Will it work? Am I missing anything?"

yvonne

:) I can so relate to your desire, need?, to have a long term roadmap! I am the same way. I planned out K-12 on a big Excel spreadsheet. I change it as needed. I use it to keep track of other options for the different subjects in case the original plans don't work well. If I come across a great program/curricula, I add it to the possibilities for whatever year it would be useful. For example, I just added LoF/Fractions to the Math section of Grade 6. I don't know if I'll use it, but it's on my chart so I won't forget it. I'll look at it when we get there and decide.

A lot of folks think it's crazy to plan so far ahead, but I think they're assuming that one plans to stick to that long term plan like glue. I need to have a long term plan. It's a road map. If I don't know where I want to head, I may not get there.

Writing out a long term K-12 plan is also a way for us data-point gathers to be able to write down the name of a book/curriculum and have it out of our head until we get there.

For me the best part is that I don't worry about whether I should be using something else. I know that we can get where we need to be (ie, where I want the kids to be) using the materials we're using. If something turns out not to work, I've got a list of other options.

My oldest are only 8 yo, entering 4th, so I can't really help with your higher levels. The only thing I did notice was using LoF for high school. From what I've gathered from the LoF threads, it seems like most people are using it more as a supplement? I wonder if it is systematic, rigorous, and thorough enough to use on its own for high school? I hope to use it, but as a supplement to NEM/Dolciani/Foerster. You could ask on the high school boards. Maybe someone there has done LoF as their main hs math program.

Good luck! Have fun!

yvonne

Yay! I'm not the only one!! :grouphug:

I have Powerpoints with pictures and descriptions of books and curricula all the way to seventh grade. I'm a big-picture kind of gal. Also helps cement the commitment to homeschool all the way.

To the OP, my plan is to use Math Without Borders (using Foerster's Algebra etc) with LOF as a supplement.

Edited by sagira

Good luck! Have fun!

yvonne

YAY! Someone gets it ;) This is my 4th year homeschooling, and I changed curriculums, as in WHOLE curriculum, THREE times this past school year. I'm all about knowing how to change and tweak and take detours from plans. Trust me, my dh is about fed up with it. LOL

I'm very much a whole to parts person and a true planner at heart...I have a need to see what's in front of me before I get there, and I LOVE to keep a list of alternatives when I find something great so as not to forget it when I get there. If I can see where I hope to end up in 12th grade, then work backwards from there, I can see if it's reasonable. As of right now, it is...but we'll adjust as needed with each kid. Seeing this in writing has put my stress about needing formal stuff right now in the midst of chaos at ease. I feel comfortable enough now that I can see we are not losing ground taking it easier in K-4th to focus on the basics.

I've heard that about LoF as well, but then a more recent post was from some high up mathy parents that have compared it topic by topic. They concluded it actually covers more than many other high school math programs. The biggest complaint I hear is that some kids need more practice problems, but I hear that with Singapore too-- but that's the math program that fits both my kids as of right now (and me) so I'll find ways to remedy it if needed.

Thanks for the reply yvonne...it's good to know not everyone thinks I'm crazy! LOL:lol:

I don't think you're crazy, and I would imagine you'd be prepared to change gears if something isn't working down the road. I am not capable (LOL) of planning that far in advance in so much detail but I am close, with the knowledge that things are subject to change. I also plan to re-use and repeat materials as we go along. In the past few years I have switched gears several times, mostly for my math phobic child, and have tried different LA (switched to R&S from PLL/EFTL), and you know what? I like what we were using, particularly for LA. I like the results I see in my ds11 who's used ETFL2/ILL for the past three years. I'm going back to what I loved because it worked. Having used R&S and PLL, I don't find PLL teacher intensive at all, though I've never tried to do the book in one year. I find spreading the lessons out to three a week, sometimes taking longer on a lesson that requires lots of writing, has worked for us, so PLL lasts two years. EFTL2 we've used for third. I find them gentle, interesting, quality books that don't require any more teacher participation than R&S (though very different in presentation). Certainly more than workbooks, but I'm ok with the small bit of involvement a daily lesson requires of me. And the kids love that time. We love the poetry and picture study and dictation, and it's a good way to get some CM into our homeschool without intensive planning on my part. It works for us. Sounds like you are well on your way to knowing what works for you.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

You know what? I totally botched abbreviations. EFTL is nothing I know of, LOL, I was trying to write EFTTC, which is English for the Thoughtful Child, no wonder you were confused! It was recommended for second and/or third grade in the old WTM book. I used English For the Thoughtful Child 2 for one ds when he was in 3rd grade, as a follow-up to FLL he'd done in 1st and 2nd. It is similar to PLL/ILL in many ways and is a very sweet book. My book was produced by Greenleaf Press, and the back reads:

"...this second volume concentrates on the development of composition skills. It contains picture lessons, oral and written narration exercises, memory work, and copywork. In addition to these lessons, which help to build narrative and descriptive skills, this book includes nature lessons which help build expository writing skills."

Blessings,

Aimee

Edited by Evergreen Academy
incomplete

That makes more sense! LOL It's primarily composition and not grammar, right? (EFTTC)

I don't find PLL teacher intensive at all, though I've never tried to do the book in one year.

I don't plan to linger on all the composition and I'll likely shorten the dictations (possibly use them for narration, and just use Dictation Day by Day for dictation)...my main focus will be a little writing, a little dictation but mostly grammar and narration. I should be able to do that in a year with PLL. Another Classical Ed site says to do PLL in 2nd, but can wait til 3rd and then ILL in 3rd and 4th.

Edited by hmschooling

It is grammar as well, but the practice is more focused on composition than on drill work. Some items in the table of contents include (this is a small sampling):

Kinds of Sentences

Practice in Writing Paragraphs

Homonyms

Practice using commas in a series

Fourteen plural nouns ending in -ves

Irregular plural nouns

Making irregular plural nouns possessive

etc...there are also poems, letter writing, nature study...

I also used an Evan Moore grammar workbook alongside to make sure I covered 3rd grade grammar (I was afraid to go totally CM and not do heavy grammar) and found some of it redundant, so EFTTC contained more grammar than I'd realized.

Blessings,

Aimee

I have my plan in place for the extra grammar practice alongside PLL/ILL...LOL...don't laugh, but I'm going to use MadLibs :001_smile: DD8 LOVES them! And I see exactly where I need to help her when she puts the wrong part of speech somewhere.

I'll look at EFTTC....are there sample pages anywhere?

What is the dictation like? As long as PLL/ILL?

Edited by hmschooling

I think EFTTC has fewer dictation exercises than PLL - similar approach but actually has more grammar lessons, defining the terms and using the parts of speech, and a bit less poetry, copywork, dictation. Sort of a cross between PLL and R&S. At least that's how it's appearing to me now as I'm thumbing through it. I'm not sure if there are samples online - maybe Rainbow Resources or Amazon? I believe both carry it. I picked it up at a conference. I think madlibs alongside PLL would be great. I've found myself playing grammar games as we drive along - "Can you give me a sentence with an adjective about all the rain we're having?" "Can you give me a verb that you will do at the birthday party today?" They love it and I'm throwing some math problems in there too and they think it's a game and I'm thinking, "yay, we're doing school and it's summer and they don't know it!" :)

Blessings,

Aimee

This is my tentative plan of progressions by subject, and I'd appreciate your thoughts...is it too light? reasonable? Is it shallow or lacking? Am I missing something?

The only suggestion I have is if you are going to plan this far in advance instead of making your plan with specific curriculum to make your plan for specific skills. You then evaluate curriculum that is available as your oldest reachest each skill level. Curriculum changes and what you think will be a good fit now might not be the best fit when your children reach a grade level.

...they'll be prepared for the skills in either one, but I like having us all together and I want to be sure they are ready to work independently. Might be a kid-by-kid decision. So once one reaches 4th/5th grade, they fold out of the youngers plans to a fairly independent level, leaving me able to focus on teh youngers still using the above programs, and still be available to help when needed. This keeps me from having to do 2-4 HOD guides at once, bonds our family with combined studies, lessens my stress, and keeps the kids learning (and loving it!).

How's it sound to you?? :bigear:

The middle school years are the most time consuming! Although they will start working more independently during this age range my actual daily time involvement was at its highest during the middle school years. It wasn't until the hs age that my daily time involvement dropped but it was offset by a substantial increase in cost and more drive time to get to and from outside classes!

Our kids are similar in age groupings and I am making it work, and with a lot of time intensive programs. It isn't easy, but it can be done.

Heather

Perhaps you didn't read the whole original post...I have no desire to make several time intensive programs work. I'm wanting to simplify because that doesn't work for my family...not that I can't do it, but it doesn't work or fit us. I prefer a different philosophy...I'm not caught up in filling my kids heads with academic information. I don't want more time to cover more subjects. I want to fill my kids hearts with knowledge and wisdom and love for learning. I want more time to spend with my kids. What good is all that academic time without happy memories to attach them to? A childhood to look back on that isn't page after page of textbooks and hour after hour of schooling with mom the teacher instead of page after page of laughter and tears(happy ones) and joy learning together and hour after hour serving others and being trained for their future as a person, a wife and mom or a husband and dad...not to mention an ethical, hard-working, honest and compassionate person that has his sights on glorifying God in all he does rather than idolizing his pocket book and losing sight of God and his family.

I don't want to make it work, nope...not at all. I want my family to work as a unit, as a family, and as a home. A home where peace abounds, morals and character are the norm, and academics are second to Biblical teaching and example. And when each new child is born, I want to be able to cuddle all my kids up together not to do their lessons with them on the bed, but to watch in awe as this new little life lights up when she sees their faces, and how those little fingers wrap around theirs, and learn the lessons of caring for a little life...THAT is where education really is. It's not in the mind, it's in the heart and in life everyday, all day. THAT is what we haven't had time for due to time intensive programs and "making it work". I'm ready to own my homeschool instead of each of those guides and books owning me...they will work on my schedule, not me on theirs. Sometimes, that means dropping some things to enjoy the real beauty in life...my kids and all God created.

Now, if you have any thoughts on my OP and how I have tentative planned the progression subject by subject, I'd love to hear it.

Sorry to go all out on that one, but it's been on my heart and ready to come out! Guess that post was my trigger.

ETA: I am glad you are able to make that work for you, btw. I'm sure you'll see the fruits of your labors in time.

Edited by hmschooling

I like to have a plan too. Even though I change the plan continually, as my dds age, I feel better have a plan in place! :lol:

Since you specifically asked for input on your progression, I'll toss this thought out there. You may want to incorporate reading selections from additional lists. I don't find the HOD lists especially accurate. My 1st grade dd read some of the 3rd grade HOD books in a single day. She loved them, as did my 4yo dd. This makes me think they may not be challenging enough for all 3rd graders.

Perhaps you didn't read the whole original post.

I did read the whole post and I was trying to say that if I can make it work with the time intensive programs that you should be able to do it without. I was trying to encourage you-honestly.

The time intensive programs work here because I have spacial visual learners. They learn through hands on, they hate workbooks, they prefer being read to rather than reading on their own and they love working one on one with me. Your right it just fits us. If I tried to do what you are doing we would have the tears and hating hs, so each family is unique. The spiritual should always come first, so I am glad you are addressing the problems you are having instead of ignoring them.

Because I am not familiar with most of the programs you are using I can't comment on them specifically. I do think it is good to have a general plan, a vision of where we are going. It keeps us moving ahead and excited about the future. I would highly recommend Ruth Beechick's A Biblical Home Education, or any of her other books as she comes from a more relaxed approach and has tips for working with groups. There are also two Ruth Beechick yahoo groups that might interest you: Basically Beechick and Simply Beechick.

Praying you find peace...

Heather

I like to have a plan too. Even though I change the plan continually, as my dds age, I feel better have a plan in place! :lol:

Since you specifically asked for input on your progression, I'll toss this thought out there. You may want to incorporate reading selections from additional lists. I don't find the HOD lists especially accurate. My 1st grade dd read some of the 3rd grade HOD books in a single day. She loved them, as did my 4yo dd. This makes me think they may not be challenging enough for all 3rd graders.

I know what you mean! I've combined lists from HOD, Beautiful Feet, Sonlight, other homeschool "stuff", and I do a search at my library for whatever we are focusing on that week or two or three. I've been so happy to find my library has several books on many of the things I'd like to touch base on -- both on my dd's level and ds's level! My dd finished most of the read-aloud selections (those that are "too high a level" for her!! LOL) in a day or so each...she can read all the level 2 and 3 DITHOR books in a day or two-- as in all of them in a day or two, not each in a day. :) So, I'm really making use of our library now! I'm amazed at the wonderful selection of biographies in particular. It's wonderful! (we just moved here so I'm eating it up!)

Edited by hmschooling

I did read the whole post and I was trying to say that if I can make it work with the time intensive programs that you should be able to do it without. I was trying to encourage you-honestly.

The time intensive programs work here because I have spacial visual learners. They learn through hands on, they hate workbooks, they prefer being read to rather than reading on their own and they love working one on one with me. Your right it just fits us. If I tried to do what you are doing we would have the tears and hating hs, so each family is unique. The spiritual should always come first, so I am glad you are addressing the problems you are having instead of ignoring them.

Because I am not familiar with most of the programs you are using I can't comment on them specifically. I do think it is good to have a general plan, a vision of where we are going. It keeps us moving ahead and excited about the future. I would highly recommend Ruth Beechick's A Biblical Home Education, or any of her other books as she comes from a more relaxed approach and has tips for working with groups. There are also two Ruth Beechick yahoo groups that might interest you: Basically Beechick and Simply Beechick.

Praying you find peace...

Heather

Thanks for clarifying...I wasn't completely sure what the intent of your post was. And my preggo hormones tend to lead me for now! LOL.

But I think it just triggered a reaction not to your post specifically, but the comments from people IRL and other boards that I DO know exactly what they are saying...that I'm doing my kids an injustice basically and not educating them properly. I love that I can now realize that I don't have to feel bad when all I have the energy to do is to tell them to go read from our history and science basket-- and that's school for the day other than some math games on the computer. LOL

My dd much prefers reading to herself and greatly dislikes me to read to her..though she likes audio books. They all love one on one with me, so our basics give us that. And they have been wanting that with daddy too, so now they get science with dad! It's such a relief that we can all tailor our schooling to fit our kids!

I'll certainly be looking into the books you recommended. I think they'll be a great asset to fine tuning my "vision". Thanks for your reply.

Looks great. When we first began homeschooling 25 years ago I have 5 children 8 and under. Now with 12 children, and still homeschooling I have learned to really try to follow the spirit for each child each year. I find when I do this things tread along at a calm and peaceful pace. But, when I stand on my own and think I know what is best for them I find that the year is a fight. Sometimes I have had to stop midstream and re focus on things. And yes, even throw out or put away something that "I" thought was best when it turned out the Lord had other plans. That said, I like how you have it all spread out like you do. This way, you can look at it, pray and ponder over specifics and go from there!!

But I think it just triggered a reaction not to your post specifically, but the comments from people IRL and other boards that I DO know exactly what they are saying...that I'm doing my kids an injustice basically and not educating them properly..

I think you are asking more questions than just "long range plans". I have already shared what I think about long term planning.......we have very fundamentally different philosophies about that. :D

However, with the ages of your children, I find it ridiculous that anyone would tell you that you are doing your children an injustice and not education them properly! :tongue_smilie:

In our house, if I only had kids the ages of yours, school would consist of letter formation for the Ker, about 20 mins of phonics, and 15-20 mins of math. And approx 2 1/2 hrs of school for the 3rd grader.

We'd be finished by 11 and have the rest of the day for doing whatever we wanted. :) I am not a believer in a huge list of academics for little kids. I don't let what anyone else thinks or says impact my methodology at home. Of course, I have older kids that prove no harm has been done (exactly the opposite, so it is easier to look at them like they are the ones that are nuts!! :D)

Just to encourage you to embrace that lifestyle now while you can. However, I have personally found it is not feasible to continue that way when they are older. But there is no need to cross that bridge until you are on the other side. ;)

I have personally found it is not feasible to continue that way when they are older. But there is no need to cross that bridge until you are on the other side. ;)

Goodness no! I have no intention of staying so "go with the flow, read a book" when they are older....4th or 5th grade (depending on the kid) they start formally with HOD, minus grammar since they'll still be finishing ILL...then they'll move on to R&S grammar.

I think you are asking more questions than just "long range plans". I have already shared what I think about long term planning.......we have very fundamentally different philosophies about that. :D

Keep in mind, this is not a long term PLAN. This is my road map, from which we will take detours and set the speed according the the abilities of each child. It's my homeschool vision using what I have to work with now, ready to be changed as needed for any "flops" or roadblocks/brickwalls we run into. I'm the kind that if I don't know where I'm headed, I have a hard time getting there.

When we first began homeschooling 25 years ago I have 5 children 8 and under. Now with 12 children, and still homeschooling

I'm sure we could all learn from your words of wisdom! Amazing!

I have four kids. When my youngest was born, my oldest started 2nd grade. So I do understand your predicament.

I'll tell you my experiences with the programs you have listed.

R&S English: We will use it from 3rd to 8th grades with all four boys. (My oldest will be in 8th this fall)

However, I would not wait until 5th grade to start it. The 4th grade book is the best place to start in my opinion.

Singapore Math: I used SM, first as a supplement and then as the main math course. We won't use it any more though. Unlike every other homeschooler on this board, my sons' test scores dropped after using on SM for a year.

So my younger ones will be back to MCP math and my oldest will continue with the Dolciani texts. (I used the Doliciani Texts when I was in school so I know them.)

I think I'm the only homeschooler in the world to drop SM after using it.;

We tried Singapore also with one ds and while it helped him understand concepts in first grade, it jumped too quickly into concepts he wasn't ready for, in second grade. We too went back to MCP for him, along with Developmental Math when he hit a roadblock with place value. So you aren't the only one!

Blessings,

Aimee

I just wanted to give you some encouragement- I have 4 too, almost 8, 5, 3, and 1- it's completely overwhelming at times and when I thought about how in the world I was going to fit school into my life after baby #4 was born I wanted to cry. But somehow it all works out- it's not always as quiet as I'd like it to be during school hours but you have to remember that even with the distractions and interruptions you're giving your children a better education than they would probably get in public school. I don't have any other suggestions on your curriculum, I just wanted to tell you that your heart for your kids is wonderful to hear- and take time off when you need it! That's the one thing I've learned while trying to homeschool with toddlers and babies. I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job! :001_smile:

PS. I'm also one who needs to have something planned out long term- not that it's in stone or anything- I just need to see some sort of plan to ease my mind so I can concentrate on the year at hand.

Edited by Coffeetime

I think your "Plan" looks great, and would fit in our family well.

that said, I have 6 children, and have found that everytime I plan something I am thrown a need to tweak it some. ;o)

I am using HOD with 4 of my children, I have a special needs 4th grader who has his own, hand picked by me curriculum, and a special needs baby, that I am still unsure where she will fit in the "plan"

I am like you and tend to use more "groupie" things for Bible, Science, History and such. Those work well with my special children.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you, that you have done a great job, and I agree that you have to do what works for you in that season. We are in a season now, I have scaled abck on texts, and have pulled out the reading/readers for a lot of our school. :001_smile: