Menu

Best way to teach order of planets?

Jennefer@SSA

We have an old Blues Clues video with a great planets song - my kids can still sing it after 6 years.

My DD also says this one:

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto

Edited by amtmcm

We have an old Blues Clues video with a great planets song - my kids can still sing it after 6 years.

My DD also says this one:

My Very Education Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas

Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto

We used My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas. My kids still remember it well!!

This is what I learned in elementary, and I still remember it over 20 years later so it worked well for me!

Only now you need to leave out the P on the end.

Sorry, I'm not much of a mnemonic person, so this may not be helpful BUT anything to do with the solar system is of great interest at my house.... I have to say, my kids just memorized it straight, on their own, after looking at many diagrams and reading many books, most particularly the Let's Read and Find Out book on the Solar System many, many times. I read one book (a Cat in the Hat variety) that had a mnemonic (Mallory Valorie Emily Meetzahs just served us nine hundred ninety-nine pizzas) -- and my kids didn't seem to get the point of that... and of course, that includes P for Pluto which is now a dwarf, so be careful! ;) I think doing things like making a diagram of the solar system, with each planet's orbit, and possibly even the moons for each, is really fun and helps them visualize it, especially if you go through the qualities of each planet. I can honestly say that I learned a lot!

We never bothered with mnemonics or songs or anything. I just had my kids memorize them by reciting them. There's not that many, it's not that hard. Just like SWB says about other things in TWTM, if you recite them everyday, it only takes a week or so to remember them. Same with the days of the week and the months of the year.

I wouldn't break a sweat about how to teach them. Your kids will pick them up regardless.

Btw, the problem I have always had about mnemonics goes something like this: I memorize Kings play chess on fat girls' stomachs, and I have memorized a useless phrase and still haven't memorized the taxonomy. I still have to memorize the words kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Then I have to try to match those words to their corresponding word in the mnemonic. It seems like the long way around, kwim?

Tara

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Let's see if I can remember it...

The sun's a hot star... and Mercury's hot, too... Venus is the brightest planet and Earth's home to me and you... Mars is the red one, and Jupiter's most wide... Saturn's got those icy rings, and Uranus spins on its side... Neptune's really windy, and Pluto's really small. Well, we wanted to name the planets and now we've named them all.

I love that little song! :tongue_smilie:

And Blue's Clues hasn't been the same since Steve left. ;)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

We used Geography Songs (CD with a booklet that uses songs to teach world geography), as well as making models of the planets that still hang in our schoolroom 8 years later. My younger dd, who was 2 when older dd was studying this, can still sing the song, and so can we all!

The sun's a hot star... and Mercury's hot, too... Venus is the brightest planet and Earth's home to me and you... Mars is the red one, and Jupiter's most wide... Saturn's got those icy rings, and Uranus spins on its side... Neptune's really windy, and Pluto's really small. Well, we wanted to name the planets and now we've named them all.

Cat

Yep, this is the song we learned and the feelings we have about Steve. ;)

I really like the book Planets: A Solar System Stickerbook

Please do no think it's a stickerbook, it is a real nice hardcover book with lots of neat information about the planets, and the story is told in the form of a poem. The book itself is perfect to be read to a younger child. However, last year we did Apologia Astronomy and as we learned about each planet we memorized that part of the poem. By the end of the year they had memorized the entire poem, and it really helps them to remember the planets.

Cat

Seriously, we just watched this movie the other day. It's a favorite around here. :D