Menu

Is anyone else really annoyed by "I know, right?"

I've never heard this particular phrase, but I'm quite sure it would drive me right 'round the bend. Does it actually mean something, or is it just a verbal filler?

I've known people who have successfully changed bad speech habits in their children (or spouses!) by fining the person a certain amount of money for each infraction. Alternatively, you could offer a cash or other incentive for every day that the child refrains from using the phrase. I'd also try to limit contact with the people who teach your dc slang in the first place, although I understand this isn't always possible. Or you can do what a friend of mine does, and say calmly, "[Child,] I like to hear English. Can you say that again in my preferred language?" When said without the slightest hint of sarcasm or irritation, this can be very effective.

It's not just a TX thing. I am way up here in Maine and I started hearing it in the "younger generation" (say 16-25 yr olds) about a year ago. It annoyed the heck out of me because it seemingly needs an answer. I guess that is probably what the older generation thought after hearing "you know" after everything...now it's taken a step further to "you know, right?" I go crazy. Totally crazy...but you will never guess what happened to me the other day. I said it. Without thinking. My husband made a comment and I went "That is so true, you know, right?" But I really wanted an answer back. What I hate is the deadpan way kids say it. Almost sarcastic.

I shall not be an old fuddy duddy. I shall not be an old fuddy duddy.

Whew! I've never heard that one. I thought you were talking about your dd saying something along the lines of "I know, I know" when given reminders or instructions.

For that, I just stop giving the reminders and instructions. Then I get, "Why didn't you tell me?" Which makes me laugh. I'd rather see them trying to figure something out for themselves, anyway, mean mom that I am.

But what you're talking about sounds highly irritating!!! Maybe try doing it to her, repeatedly? Just so she can see what it sounds like, of course. Not to try to drive her insane or anything. What kind of mom would do that? :rolleyes:

It's almost as irritating for me as the British "innit?"

I would suggest that you and your husband repeat it whenever she says it. It kind of disrupts her flow and definitely makes her stare at you for a bit, but maybe if she sees how it sounds from someone else she'll stop.

I did this once with "know what I'm sayin'?" which is equally exasperating. It took a while...:rolleyes:

Perhaps if they hear us old fuddy-duddies repeating it, they will realize how strange it sounds and stop--or at least not want to sound like their fuddy-duddy folks! :D

I hope you're fortunate enough to escape it's spread, but about 1 year ago (as another poster stated), I began hearing it. It's prevalent in our area of SC as well as in my home state of IN (or, at least it is popular in the area of IN in which my relatives live). I find it somewhat annoying, but I also am fairly tolerant -- probably because I vividly remember the slang that I used around the same age. BTW, I just reread that last sentence, and it sounded a little judgmental. I didn't mean it that way at all -- just a statement that I, too, have used more than my fair share of slang, and while I don't enjoy it exactly...well, I "get it." LOL

Lisa

Definitely not just a Texas thing. I spent a week with a 19 year old woman from New Hampshire last fall, and I don't know how many times a day I heard, "I know, right?" Every time she agreed with anything I said, which was often. Once in a while, I don't think it would bother me, but after hearing it 10-20 times a day (at least), it drove me crazy, and I still visibly react when I hear anyone say it now. (Shuddering now, just to think about it.)

Funny you should point out the similarity to "innit". My ds attends public high school and he's been saying "I know, right" a lot recently. I've pointed out to him how English it sounds (almost estuary english), and the similarities to "innit".

If he drives me too nuts with it, I shall just say "UGH!" a whole lot in reply :)

I hear that in Florida and from family in Georgia as well.

More importantly - how I get my children to drop annoying slang. I ask them to repeat themselves with a more appropriate word or phrase. I always try and ask politely and with no sign of annoyance and I never do it when we are in public where they may be embarrassed. But I do make a point of catching it any and every time when we are at home or not in discussion with others.