Menu

Those with olders, what would you say are the KEY skills to teach in 5/6 grades?

HappyGrace

The best advise given to me so far is to nail down a Math curriculum that your child can stick with all the way through high school.

Second best advise is to teach them how to work independently (looking info up on their own).

Getting back to the Math, Teaching Textbooks has been a real winner here! My 6th gr *loves* it and has been motivated to do it on his own this whole school year.

HTH!

Write...write...read...read...write.

Write about reading and read about writing...then read and write some more.

Oh and do lots of math too.

I think reading and writing skills are crucial to any upper level studies. If we can write it, we can know it. Written narrations, lists, notes, comments, thoughts, journals...all of these avenues need to be explored. Children need to be able to write quantity...build those handwriting muscles. Children at that age need to learn how to write thoughtfully in an organized manner. Obviously, they are not going to perfect their craft, but even just getting over the fear of putting words on paper will be a huge benefiit in High School.

I found that I spent way too much time with my older kids in high school learning the mechanics of writing and building their stamina to stick with an essay until it was right. With my youngers, we are not skipping any of the writing assignments in any of their books (we would have done many of these orally with the older ones because I did not see the reason for all that "busy work.") Now I see that if we would have built up their hand muscles and got them used to writing plenty, I could have done much more concentrating on substance and style rather than mechanics and stamina.

~~Faithe

The best thing I did when my ds was in these transitional grades was to encourage him to develop creatively. We also spent lots of time reading together, and building a rapport with each other and books. He was starting to have more definite ideas about things and talking during this time built a foundation for later inquiries and anlysis.

He had the basic mechanics of writing, and was bursting with ideas. I let him go with them. It helped him to open up to his own ideas and learn to really put them on paper and make them better.

And he wanted to be able to put the pictures in his head on paper, and I scheduled lots of time for him to follow different types of art. He developed confidence in his abilities.

This is a relatively easy period of teaching (in retrospect of course). You have completed the basic mechanics of education and aren't burdened with the pressures of high school.

Continue building a solid foundation of math, reading, and writing, but make sure you encourage that emerging personality to shine through.

Outlining was key for us. It helped immensely when we did middle school science and history. I began it in 5th and really focused on it in 6th. I really did not work on developing independent learning and still struggle with it. Wish I could figure that one out before the next "set" gets to middle school.

Would love to hear a little "been there/done that/what I'd do differently" info on what the important transitional skills are for that age to prep them for higher level work! What is crucial, what is not so high on the priority list, etc. Thanks!

I wouldn't limit it to 5th/6th, but I would say that by 7th/8th my goals would be:

1- learning to handle a lot of independent reading and being more self-directing/pacing. Independent understanding of directions and teaching is more discussion oriented.

2- definitely have mastered the writing process so that in high school they are focusing on developing their argument (the rhetorical writing processes) vs. having to focus on their writing structure itself

3- I disagree with the sticking to the math through high school. My kids use Foerster for algebras-pre-cal and CD for geo (since Foerster does not have a geo program). They should have a solid math foundation.

1. I would say 5th/6th is the time to make sure they are Solid in math fundamentals, whatever program(s) you use. Make sure those facts are down b/c you won't have time to figure out such things in Algebra and beyond.

2. The transition to less Mom time, more independent study is crucial. It will make a HUGE difference in school, particularly if you have younger ones moving through elementary (where they really require your time). 5th and 6th grade are the years to make that process a reality ( a little at a time, of course).

3. The writing process is difficult to understand, as far as editing and the Process. Make sure they have the basics down in these grades. Encourage them that the process involves many drafts. Drafts are not the enemy :glare:

7th, 8th is the time to get it done b4 high school hits! High school hits hard, so make sure they spend these years being able to practice the Writing Process. I think Momof7 said it well. Once Rhetoric comes, there is a leap in writing expectations. Make sure they are there.

Science is often neglected in elementary, so 5-8th is a good time to make sure you've covered the basics so high school won't be a shock.

For me, as a mom of a large family, the independence came as I expected more. I never thought they'd get there, but this year, my older boys (6th, 7th) have successfully completed Science, Math, and the work for history completely independently. We come together to go over these things once per week, but they have done all the study time on their own. Honestly, I never thought it would work out this way b/c I always thought I'd be hands on every step of the way, but their maturity and the needs of the younger ones have come together nicely for me. Trust me, my boys are regular active, physical, goofy teen boys! Their academic success is testimony that a child doesn't have to be Mr. Academic to be a successful independent student ~ and I make school tough.

Hope that helps....I'm reading every success in high school thread and book I can now!

this is where we are now with the younger two. i asked the older two, and they both said keyboarding and a second language. after that, writing, reading, math. i would concur.

i like teaching, and they all like doing things together, so we are not pushing the indepence too much at this point. that said, i leave them to do work individually in each subject after our teaching time, and it has been that way with increasing work times since they were in grade 2. as i'm often working with someone else on something else, they either have to wait for me or figure it out. it has proven to be great incentive for thinking things through on their own :001_smile:

hth,

ann

1. Increase the volume of reading and assign reading that's not necessarily "fun".

2. Be able to read, outline/take notes, and write about non-fiction topics (science/history). Be able to write multi-paragraph papers on non-fiction topics. Develop stronger sentence and paragraph structure and self editing skills.

5. Study for a test

When I taught PS 5th grade, I really tried to stress the importance of knowing basic math and on study skills. They need to know how to find the information they need for reports, etc. We also did lots of writing and reading in the content areas. So, to summarize:

1) math skills

2) study skills

3) writing - creative, reports, persuasive, etc.

4) content area reading

I have a 5/6 grader right now. I feel that my focus has been on maintaining his math skills, teaching how to write more and more and more. I could work on study skills with him. Yes, he does a lot more independent study. I still do not check his work at the end of the week. I check it at the end of the day.

I know that writing essays and math will be important for college entrance tests, etc. I am emphasizing it now so that it will be mastered by high school. My thoughts.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have an older child (going into 9th grade) who is no longer homeschooled.

I would say that my top two key things are: a solid foundation in basic arithmetic and the ability to handle independent work. My daughter has some severe learning delays, and lacking abilities in those areas hindered her greatly in middle school.

Tara

Even in third grade this yr, dd enjoyed doing a lot of her work independently and still managed to keep her grades very high. We are working on the math. I am keeping a close eye on this thread because it is so helpful! I'm also going to start a S/O thread on the "how" of all these posts!

I don't test my kids prior to 7th/8th grade in anything except math. I don't emphasis study skills until around 7th. My personal view is that writing, reading, and math are my highest priorities through mid-middle school. Science and history are for fascination, discovery, and discussion. I use them as the source of the writing assignments for deep discovery/long-term retention. Of course as in all things, YMMV.

Over the years I've tutored various ages (PS kids), and one thing seems to stand out -- parents grow frantic enough when their sons enter 5th grade to actually pay for help! The underlying problems might have been there all along, but 5th/6th grades seem to finally shine a glaring light on a student's difficulties in keeping up with the class.

When I get a boy who struggles with handwriting-spelling-reading-writing mechanics-and-speaking (you've met them, The Mumblers), the first thing I do is confront (nicely) the parents about (1) eliminating or seriously reducing the addiction to electronic media (no e-games, no computer time, no TV -- the parents always balk at this), and (2) saturating their son with well-spoken oral language -- having conversations, listening to audiobook epics (Treasure Island, Jungle Book, D'Aulaires Greek Myths), continuing family Read Alouds, gently correcting grammar and "like, um, y'knows," and discussing the news or a book. :001_huh:

I think that so many little boys in K, 1st, and 2nd grade are repeatedly told to sit still and BE QUIET. The upshot of this is that in the Language Sponge Years (for boys) they don't get enough practice listening to and participating in real conversation, they get silent worksheets instead of Read Alouds and Audiobooks, and they don't get to simply soak in the norms and content of well-spoken adult speech. They don't get to talk, so their natural intensity comes out of their bodies, which will not be still. They are labelled as "distracted." When it comes time to write, they have very little "formal language" in their heads. These are usually bright kids who are so discouraged because they think the problem is within them.

When a boy comes to me in this shape, often he doesn't have a good background in General Knowledge, because the struggle with reading and writing has made him retreat into video games and television. I've had students in 5th grade unable to tell me such basic things as the months of the year or what a noun is. :001_huh: I'm used to this now, but at first it was a shock. These boys need INPUT -- so here we read aloud (the same book over and over to build fluency), memorize and recite poems and lists of data (they actually LOVE this!), chant parts of speech (they make up raps), relearn how to print and write all the upper and lower case letters (you'd be surprised how many boys will not begin a sentence with a certain letter, because they can't remember how to form that cursive letter in its upper case!), spell words in shaving cream, and on and on... until the student begins to absorb language and starts to use it with some skill and confidence.

If you have a son who is NOT in this predicament, be glad. For that student, I'd focus on (1) GRAMMAR (a program that diagrams), (2) WRITING -- handwriting (be sure this is truly solid, then begin a typing/WP program), summarizing, outlining, mechanics & punctuation, and research/reference skills [citing sources, using dictionaries & other reference materials], (3) WORD STUDY -- not simply how to spell a word, but its parts [prefix, suffix, root] and meaning, and (4) CONVERSATIONAL SPEECH -- teach the student the basic etiquette of conversational speaking [not interrupting, taking turns speaking, not slouching, not fidgeting, looking at the other person (instead of your cell phone i-Pod), not texting someone else during a conversation with a live person, speaking clearly and audibly, pausing to allow someone else to speak, not saying "like, um, y'know" every third word, and demonstrating respect for the other person's viewpoint], along with the protocol of introductions, using titles of respect (Sir, Miss, Ma'am, Doctor, Pastor, Rabbi, Sister, Brother, etc.), ordering at a restaurant, and using the telephone. Please include these oral elements in your "Language Arts" curriculum, so that at least one student enters 7th grade with some basic skills in the spoken aspect of the English language.

Of course, you'll also want to continue with your other areas of study -- Math, Literature, History, Geography, Science, and Arts/Music -- but I think that the primary emphasis of 5th/6th should be on mastering the English Language -- listening, speaking, reading, and writing.

[Note: None of my students could work even close to this level of rigor, but I always like to keep in mind what we're working towards. This is basic preparation for success in high school and beyond.]

Edited by Sahamamama

I don't test my kids prior to 7th/8th grade in anything except math. I don't emphasis study skills until around 7th. My personal view is that writing, reading, and math are my highest priorities through mid-middle school. Science and history are for fascination, discovery, and discussion. I use them as the source of the writing assignments for deep discovery/long-term retention. Of course as in all things, YMMV.

I agree with this, although I do a bit of testing in 6th grade. I prioritize similarily: first reading, writing and math. I found my rising 7th grader retained so much of our history study because he was writing 3 or 4 paragraph summaries weekly. We used SOTW IV this year and it was a perfect fit.

Although math is a priority, I don't know that I really changed our way of teaching/learning because he was in 6th rather than 4th grade. It was pretty much same-old, same-old.

I have to say after 15 years of homeschooling that children who are behind in math by about 6th grade have a very hard time catching up. The same is not true with children who did minimal writing by that age. If they have done minimal writing but read a lot and have heard a lot of read-alouds, they can catch up with the writing. But none of the children who weren't at least comfortable in most elementary math by the end of 6th grade have gone on to not have continuing problems. Why does this matter? Because if your child is going to college they need certain SAT or ACt scores to get in. I have known a few math struggling children who were otherwise very intelligent who missed out on better college opportunities because of their math skills. Yes, those kids aren't going to be engineers or scientists. But my older two won't be that either. Their overall familiarity with math has helped one pass out of math class requirements and will probably help the next one do the same too.