Menu

life of fred...after reading the post singing it's praises I have to ask...

ABQmom

We love it because it is fun, short, and works. Dd finally understood fractions and percentages thanks to Fred. Now, she is grasping algebra much better than I expected. It presents math in a totally different way. It is more life application. It is, well..... real..... not textbooky.

in 5th grade?

We did Fractions in the summer between 4th and 5th. The first two volumes are slim and can easily be done in a summer. Algebra and up are much longer.

Search for LOF or Life of Fred and you can read post after post of people singing its praises, including opinions on rigor (good) from people who have used the higher levels, which I have not yet.

At what point would you introduce Life of Fred?

You can start the fractions book when long division is mastered. I'm going to have my 5th grade son (which means my 4th grade son will want to do it, too) work through the book this year in addition to Saxon. It's quick & easy & fun. I'm working through them myself :001_smile:.

I understand that the upper levels are stand alone. Fractions and Decimals & Percents are pretty short. They may be stand alone, but you'd get through them pretty quickly if they were. We've used them along with our regular math program and it's taken a whole year for the two of them together.

Edited by Suzannah

However, is it a supplement to other programs, or enough to stand on it's own?
When LoF first started becoming more known, the assumption was that because it is written differently (more in story form) it wasn't a complete program, just a supplement. That is what I first heard about it. But people on this site have said they have checked the contents with other "known" maths, and they compare very well! It IS a complete program from what I can tell.

My dd did the Fractions book, and the Decimals & Percents book, plus some Singapore and R&S (for a broader base and to fill the whole year) for her math this year (6th grade). She will do LoF Beginning Algebra next year, possibly with some CLE math to broaden the base and help emphasize certain things as needed.

My ds did TT Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Then, when we found LoF, he did Beginning Algebra over the summer and part way into the year, then Advanced Algebra for the rest of the year. He didn't have any supplementing. Next year he will do LoF Geometry alone, no supplement.

So, I have a dd in prealgebra and one finishing fractions--MUS. Could I use the fractions and decimals from Life of Fred for a review?
Yes! It's not a long book, and can be done in a summer! It'd be good to review, and it'd be fun!:001_smile:

We love it because it's funny. My oldest enjoys the math and used Fred to prep for a surprise level skip (math only, midyear). My middle child likes to hear the stories and understands the math, so we both win - she giggles, I give her painless math supplement.

You know how WTM suggests you have your child do the same math from a different curriculum to show they understand it? Fred is perfect for that. For us, anyway.

Cheers,

ATB

I just have to put in a plug for Stanley Schmidt/Polka Dot Publishing. I ordered LOF Algebra last week. Not only did they ship it priority for free, but it was packaged very securely and came autographed. So big points from me for great customer service! Also, I appreciate that the books are so reasonably priced.

I just have to put in a plug for Stanley Schmidt/Polka Dot Publishing. I ordered LOF Algebra last week. Not only did they ship it priority for free, but it was packaged very securely and came autographed. So big points from me for great customer service! Also, I appreciate that the books are so reasonably priced.
Yep, he signs all the books, at least right now. It always comes quickly! There is free shipping! My kids love it! They did in the high 90% on their ITBS math scores!

For me, therefore, it is a no-brainer to use LoF maths! :001_smile:

Yep, he signs all the books, at least right now. It always comes quickly!
And he corrects the errata by hand using white out tape.

So let's say a child finishes Singapore 4B or 5A in the first semester of 5th, could she then move on to Fractions for the rest of 5th, then Decimals & Percents in 6th, Beg. Alg. in 7th and continue from there without needing any other curriculum?

Does LoF prioritize application, understanding "why's" and mental math like Singapore, or is it learning and memorizing the steps and "how's" like other maths like Saxon or Abeka.

I had considered finishing Singapore 5 or 6 in 6th then doing VideoText Pre-Alg. modules in 7th and the remainder of Algebra in 8th/9th and VT Geometry/Trig. in 9th/10th. How does LoF compare to VT other than presentation and price. It looks rather complete, but I'm not sure what I'm really looking for.

icon1.giflife of fred...after reading the post singing it's praises I have to ask...

What is this??? And, why do you all love it so much?

Since I authored a recent "I love Fred" post, I'll answer! Life of Fred is math learning written into a story. The story is ridiculous-funny; it is about Fred, a 5 year old boy who is a college professor. I have the Fractions and the Decimals and Percents books. So, it tells a story about Fred's day and in the course of the story, he has to work out all sorts of conundrums using the math that is the subject of the book. There is a little question-and-answer part at the end of each short chapter. Every five or so chapters, there is a Bridge, which is like a test of all info up to this point. You need to score 9 or 10 out of 10 to move on. There are more than one tries at the Bridge for each section.

Here's what I love about Fred: First, it is fast. You can blaze through learning about fractions without having to plod along practicing page after page of problems. That is, in fact, the belief of the author: That you should learn it and move on.

Second, I love the way the questions are designed to make you think. It is like a logic course, too. He will ask a question that you have not specifically worked out to see if you can apply what you have already learned to a new situation. It is perfect application and deductive reasoning.

Third, I love the kitchy little tidbits of info he sprinkles along the way. He'll use a phrase and then have an asterisk. The footnote will say, "That is called hyperbole. It's deliberate exaggeration to make a point." Tons of these are throughout the text.

My daughter just finished MUS Epsilon (Fractions) and I am beginning Decimals and Percents with her before she goes on to Zeta. Perhaps she will not have to do Zeta, or perhaps it will just make it easier for her to move through Zeta quickly.

Edited by Ginevra

So let's say a child finishes Singapore 4B or 5A in the first semester of 5th, could she then move on to Fractions for the rest of 5th, then Decimals & Percents in 6th, Beg. Alg. in 7th and continue from there without needing any other curriculum?

Does LoF prioritize application, understanding "why's" and mental math like Singapore, or is it learning and memorizing the steps and "how's" like other maths like Saxon or Abeka.

Yes, if you want to. LOF is very complete, although you may need more material before moving on to algebra in 7th, if the child is not mentally ready for algebra. He is working on a book to bridge the first two and algebra. I only mention this because my son finished the first two books but needed to grow up a bit more before tackling algebra.

On your second point LOF is VERY much a thinking curriculum. It really requires thought and and understanding of "why" to be able to complete it successfully. The first two books are mostly word problems with some computation exercises to keep skills sharp. My son whined a little about all the multistep word problems, but I appreciated them.:)

Yes, if you want to. LOF is very complete, although you may need more material before moving on to algebra in 7th, if the child is not mentally ready for algebra. He is working on a book to bridge the first two and algebra. I only mention this because my son finished the first two books but needed to grow up a bit more before tackling algebra.

On your second point LOF is VERY much a thinking curriculum. It really requires thought and and understanding of "why" to be able to complete it successfully. The first two books are mostly word problems with some computation exercises to keep skills sharp. My son whined a little about all the multistep word problems, but I appreciated them.:)

If the bridge book he's working on isn't ready in the next couple years, perhaps it would be better to complete Singapore alongside LoF taking a little longer to get to the the Beginning Alg. book. Surely finishing Singapore 6 or maybe even just 5B would be enough prep for early algebra???

Looking at all the levels he has, to complete the last one (statistics) in 12th, you have to start his Beg. Alg. in 7th or work through every summer to finish them all. Seems like Singapore would be excellent prep for this.

I would answer the 6th grade question this way: The Fractions and Decimals & Percents Books are shorter books. The D&P book would not be enough on it's own to last a whole year.

My dd did both of those books, plus parts of Singapore (5a and 5b sections) and a bit of R&S 7 this year in 6th. She will be doing the Beginning Algebra in 7th next year, with possibly CLE math to use to expand thoughts, or for extra practice if needed.

My ds15 did TT Algebra 1 in 8th, then we found LoF, so he went through the LoF Beginning Algebra over the summer and first part of 9th grade, and is now finishing up his 9th grade year with LoF Advanced Algebra.

That's just examples from our home, not sure how others do it.

I would answer the 6th grade question this way: The Fractions and Decimals & Percents Books are shorter books. The D&P book would not be enough on it's own to last a whole year.

:iagree: This is what we've done: We did LOF Fractions the summer after Singapore 4b. Then in 5th, 5a/b. We got done in May, so they're already doing LOF D/P. In 6th, My plan is 6a/b, but I'm thinking of skipping the workbook and just doing CWP, along with Zacarro's Challenge Math.

Then I'd like to do LOF Prealgebra and Biology, if it's done - I'm thinking that would be another quickie.

I guess then we could go right into Algebra, but I'm thinking it would do my kids good to do a year of Singapore's Discovering Mathematics, then Algebra proper. The current plan is that one of my twins will be doing LOF as their main math program from Algebra and up. Her sister wants to do Foersters.

I think until Schmidt finishes the other 3 Pre-Algebra books he has planned, there just isn't enough material in the Fractions and D/P books to get you to Algebra if you start them after 4th or 5th grade. The information may all be there, but you'd finish them sometime in 5th grade, or maybe early 6th, and most kids just aren't ready for Algebra yet, and you need something else to keep them doing math till they are.

Is Life of Fred consumable/workbook style? Or is it a text that you keep and do the work on a separate sheet of paper?
They're hardcover textbooks... non-consumable. Schmidt occasionally encourages studends to colour a certain pictures if the books is theirs (always with a gentle jab at busy, colourful modern textbooks). :001_smile:

If the bridge book he's working on isn't ready in the next couple years, perhaps it would be better to complete Singapore alongside LoF taking a little longer to get to the the Beginning Alg. book. Surely finishing Singapore 6 or maybe even just 5B would be enough prep for early algebra???

Looking at all the levels he has, to complete the last one (statistics) in 12th, you have to start his Beg. Alg. in 7th or work through every summer to finish them all. Seems like Singapore would be excellent prep for this.

The way he has the courses laid out, at least according to the mathy author :), some of the books will not take an entire school year. I can't remember how long he said an able student would get through everything, but it was far shorter than a 7th - 12th span. Now my kids will probably take longer, but I would imagine that any student who understands all of Singapore Primary would be absolutely fine with LOF and would make good time through the books. :)

You ordered LAST week and it came??? Was it beginning Algebra? I ordered 3 weeks ago and got a back order email. He said it was the first time that it was back ordered EVER. I'm wondering where mine is if you got yours last week. :confused:

You ordered LAST week and it came??? Was it beginning Algebra? I ordered 3 weeks ago and got a back order email. He said it was the first time that it was back ordered EVER. I'm wondering where mine is if you got yours last week. :confused:

Yes, it was Beginning Algebra, and it came in a few days. I'd email them and ask 'cause that doesn't seem right that you haven't got yours :(

Yes, it was Beginning Algebra, and it came in a few days. I'd email them and ask 'cause that doesn't seem right that you haven't got yours :(

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to go and email right now. That does seem weird!

I've heard so many things about LOF. The name in itself did not draw me to it as a good math program,but after reading this post I'm thinking I may get the decimal and percent book for my son to work on after he is done with his MUS Fractions book. Sounds like something he would like.

Angela

I have the Fractions and D&P books sitting on my shelf. I'm waiting until dd is finished Rightstart Level E (though I'm sure I could start them now, I'd prefer to wait for RS to introduce more division first), then I plan on having dd go through the two LoF books I have. I remember reading on his website that each book would take roughly 1/4 of a year to complete, so I'm thinking they will go nicely with Righstart Geometry once dd is done RS Level E.

I just have to add - My Fractions book came in yesterday. I stayed up late reading it. It's very engaging and funny. I can see why it's a hit. It's like having a silly conversation with someone who loves math. We just started. I want to read more. That's saying alot, when I have a stack of books to read.

I just have to add - My Fractions book came in yesterday. I stayed up late reading it. It's very engaging and funny. I can see why it's a hit. It's like having a silly conversation with someone who loves math. We just started. I want to read more. That's saying alot, when I have a stack of books to read.
Ditto! :iagree: My book just arrived and my experience has been the same!