Menu

What's a good all-in-one curriculum that's open-and-go? For K/1st and Preschool

MitchellMom

I really need to find a good all-in-one curriculum (LA, Reading, History, Science) that's open-and-go because I do not / will not have time for much planning once this baby arrives. :) Any suggestions? My daughter is finishing Sonlight K and I do not want to do Sonlight again. I would be willing to do a whole other K curriculum that she and her preschool-brother can do together, but I would need to supplement reading for her b/c she placed into Sonlight's 2nd Advanced reading - any suggestions on how to work that?... I was going to do Galloping the Globe but it just looks like too much work to plan it and I just don't have the time. :( I've thought about Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, simply buying from Abeka or Bob Jones, etc. But please help!!!!

I remember those days! When my oldest dd was in K, we were expecting our 4th baby. I had to take my nice plans and throw them out the window! It was survival mode time.

Here's what we did - OPGTR (phonics), read lots of books, handwriting (Zaner-Bloser) and math games (Ruth Beechick or Peggy Kaye have good ideas). I like WTM's advice that K is a time to get your child ready for first grade work. So, in K work on reading, writing and math. It can be so simple!

These are survival days with a new baby, yet sometimes those times are blessings because they force us to simplify, stay close to home and enjoy our kids. Because my big school plans went out the window, we had much more time to play games (even Candy Land is learning!), read, and cook together.

Keep it simple :)

I've thought about doing this too, as we recently found out that we are expecting #4. I have more time left to plan than you do, so I'm hoping that I'll still be able to go with the materials that I've already purchased. If not, Winterpromise Animals and their Worlds and HOD Little Hearts for His Glory are at the top of my list.

I started MFW when I had a K'er and 1 year old twins so I really needed something open and go (cause we only had time to school in a very brief window between diapers and naps:001_smile:). It helped us survive home schooling, twins and Mom's back surgery that year. Not only was it really easy to accomplish but my son learned a ton as well!

We've kept up with MFW for 7 years and has contuniues to be open and go as well as an all-around great curriculum.

HOD is the way to go IMHO! It's totally open and go, totally complete, uses the greatest math activities that are fun, easy, and quick, you can combine ages by using the right level of math/LA, and it doesn't take long to do each day! I'm using the first two guides and the fouth one with my 3dc and it's doable. I use all her LA and Math choices too. It's an awesome program! Just have 10 minutes, do a box! Get another 10, do another box...group them up into a few longer sittings or break them down into a dozen short ones, however you can do it. The plans are on one two-page spread that is just for one day. MFW is a great program content-wise, but the flipping back and forth in the plans made it hard for me to see what I had done and what needed to be done (I was also quite new to homeschooling, though the layout is a a common complaint I've heard even with veterens). There are also great key points/objectives in each box of the HOD plans to let you know the goal and the why behind the lesson. Math, LA and poetry are all included so you don't have to plan those yourself (MFW does have math planned for K and 1st).

Edited by hmschooling

If I had a 5 yo, 3.5 yo and a new baby on the way I would just enjoy the year with my littles!

So with the 5 yo I'd do math ,handwriting and reading. Then I would do a good read aloud with all the children choosing from amblesideonline.org Year 0 and the FIAR booklist. I wouldn't necessarily feel like I had to do FIAR but the booklist is good. I would to use the books that are readily available from my local library.

Does your 5yo enjoy reading SL adv 2nd readers? I would let her read lots of the 1st grader and regular 2nd grade readers with an occasional 2nd adv. if you really felt the need to push her. I had a 5yo who could read SL adv 2nd grade readers and he won't pick up a book to read for pleasure and he is now 19yo! I totally burnt the kid out on reading!

If you felt you needed a curriculum HOD or MFW are great choices so just pick one. Either one will be fine. Enjoy your little children! But there is nothing wrong with just doing a little reading, a little math, a little handwriting with lots of good books for a K'r especially for a K'r who is already well on the road to reading.

If I had a 5 yo, 3.5 yo and a new baby on the way I would just enjoy the year with my littles!

So with the 5 yo I'd do math ,handwriting and reading. Then I would do a good read aloud with all the children choosing from amblesideonline.org Year 0 and the FIAR booklist. I wouldn't necessarily feel like I had to do FIAR but the booklist is good. I would to use the books that are readily available from my local library.

:iagree:

Jessie, Congratulations! I am planning to use McRuffy for K for DS. I have used and researched lots of things for DD, so take it for what its worth.

For DD, she is now reading between 5th and 6th grade level. She is currently reading my history selections and the unabridged Pinnochio. I am only requiring her to read. I don't assign anything in particular. She starts a book on her own out of interest, then I might require her to finish it. She was at about 3rd grade level when she started K. You don't need to worry about what she placed in. The reason some kids are reading SL 2 Advanced books at 5 is because they are asking for it, you shouldn't require it. Also, I recommend that you read Jim Trelease's the Read Aloud handbook. I think it will help you to understand how your DD will learn and that you can relax. PSSSSt: Picture books are great, easy vocabulary and fluency builders.

My first suggestion for you would be the WP PreK programs. It is very important that kids don't miss out on those great drawing, cutting, pasting skills. It really helps them to write later. The big thing that alot of us WTMrs end up struggling with. You might also check out Hewitt Homeschooling.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Of the above programs, which include books to read and read aloud. (no library trips)?

Carmen,

A beka uses readers and includes them in the Student Kit. They don't have any "read alouds," but that never bothered me because I liked picking my own for that age. Also, both my dd's took off reading with their program and I started giving them books that fit them specifically before the readers were even scheduled. So, right now, my dd is reading easy readers from the library, Frog and Toad are Friends etc, but she started out with their readers and progressed to Bob books.

For first grade, the readers are books of short stories (with a Christian Theme). I have never needed their first grade program, so that's all the info I have. I have several friends that work outside the home or have MANY children, and A Beka is what they use to stay sane. Since I don't need the schedule or script past K (except in math :tongue_smilie:), I use other things.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Heart of Dakota is wonderful!! My youngest will be a second grader next year. I've recently started him in Little Hearts and he just loves it. We are supposed to be taking a summer break but he asks me to do it!! I've used SL, WinterPromise, and MFW in the past. All of them are good. But, I'm a convert. I plan to stick with HOD as long as Carrie is writing the guides. The guides are so well-thought out, everything flows together very well, it's just the right amount of reading (for us, and we love to read) and there is a slow and steady progression of skills for the child to learn. I wish we had done Little Hearts for first grade. There is an extensive book list in the back of the Little Hearts guide, so don't let the seemingly small number of books in the package fool you. Those are not required but can be used for additional reading if one desires.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted so far! I don't want to do FIAR even though I like the program. It is not quite open and go enough for me. Don't know if that makes sense, but I tried it with dd and ds for about 2 months and just felt like I still had to do a lot of work preparing. That would be okay EXCEPT I will have a baby! :) Please, please keep the ideas coming! At this point, based on your suggestions, I am leaning toward Heart of Dakota!

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted so far! I don't want to do FIAR even though I like the program. It is not quite open and go enough for me. Don't know if that makes sense, but I tried it with dd and ds for about 2 months and just felt like I still had to do a lot of work preparing.
:iagree:Then you pawned it off to me and it is sitting on my shelf after doing 2 books. :lol::tongue_smilie:

I have four kids, my youngest just turned 6. I didn't want to burn him out on school or push him because he was so young to me. We planned to do FIAR along with 100 EZ lessons this past year. FIAR took a lot of planning for me, and honestly with the 3 older kids I didn't always get my planning done, and I let it slide. So last year while he did get some "school" he didn't really get enough to be ready for 1st grade or where I think he should be. It's my fault. So this year we are repeating K with a boxed curriculum. I am really heavily leaning towards MFW, I have heard glowing reviews of it, and think it's really what will work for us.

Either MFW or HOD would fit the bill for those ages. I would suggest printing out the samples at least (the samples don't do them justice) or seeing them in person if at all possible. You should be able to get an idea of which one would work the best for you. They are both great programs. HOD is more history centered for this level and MFW is more science centered at this level, although they are both complete programs. That might help you decide.

I think BJU or Abeka would be more stressful. I know that many people love them but they were made for a classroom and it shows.

:iagree:I think it might help you if you could see the TM's and look through them to see what fits your family better.

:iagree:Then you pawned it off to me and it is sitting on my shelf after doing 2 books. :lol::tongue_smilie:

sorry!!!!

HOD is what we are using. :) Of course, we use CLE for math, LA, and Bible...but still - it really cuts down the planning. :)

What is CLE?...

Either MFW or HOD would fit the bill for those ages. I would suggest printing out the samples at least (the samples don't do them justice) or seeing them in person if at all possible. You should be able to get an idea of which one would work the best for you. They are both great programs. HOD is more history centered for this level and MFW is more science centered at this level, although they are both complete programs. That might help you decide.

I think BJU or Abeka would be more stressful. I know that many people love them but they were made for a classroom and it shows.

Really ... what exactly do you mean that BJU and Abeka were made for the classroom? That is interesting - please do tell!

As for HOD vs. MFW ... my dd loves geography so maybe HOD would be better since it focuses on history? Does HOD not have a strong science program?

I was able to look at MFW and HOD at our local curriculum fair, and ended up choosing HOD's LHFHG for our kindergarten year. It seemed more open and go to me, and I prefer the layout of the teacher's guide. IMO, MFW looked like it would take too much prep work for my liking. It all depends on you and your teaching style though. I know lots of people that use MFW and just love it, but I knew it wasn't for me as soon as I saw it.

Edited by laf512

sorry!!!!
That's okay, when I am ready to give up, I will pawn them off to someone else.:lol:

What is CLE?...

Christian Light Education. There have been tons of raves about it lately. Especially math. It is rigorous and easy, being workbook based from what I understand. I haven't really seen many using it below 3rd grade though.

Guest lahmeh

I vote for CLE (Christian Light Education). After trying several of the more popular curriculums I decided to go for CLE for math, reading and LA. NOTHING has been more open and go for us. It's wonderful!!

Really ... what exactly do you mean that BJU and Abeka were made for the classroom? That is interesting - please do tell!

Like many programs out there, they were written for use in private Christian schools. The teacher's guides that you would buy are modified for homeschool use. Some people like that they give you lots of extra worksheets/ideas to pick and choose from (me:D). Some people feel like this is a pain.

The main difference between programs like A Beka and HOD is their philosophies. HOD uses the Charlotte Mason Method, with living books. A Beka uses the traditional drill/classroom methods. It's whatever works for you. I use a combo of both. I like A Beka because to learn to read, it's what has worked for us. For my friends who truly have no time to read to their kids or do all of the activities in programs like HOD, A Beka or BJU has worked really well. A Beka and BJU is like giving you the "meat and potatoes." If you have time for more, than you add in the sides, but at least you know you got to the 3r's that day. HOD and MFW is like having a 3 course meal, they are still both very teacher intensive. A Beka and BJU are not.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

FWIW, I love HOD. I was sold on it for my youngest. However, the more I looked at it, and the more I looked at scheduling it, the more I realized I couldn't keep up with it. I'm going a simpler route for my 1st grader next year. We're doing the following:

Language Arts:

Explode the Code

A Beka's A Handbook for Reading

CLP Readers

Reading, reading, reading everything we can get our hands on

Math:

A Beka 1st grade

History:

History for Little Pilgrims by CLP

Science:

CLP Nature Reader

You could just go simple. Not all "textbooks" are dry and unfruitful. CLP has some great ones, and it sounds like the McGuffy Readers are awsome too. Sometimes it's not about the Teacher's guides, it's about finding simple resources to get the job done.

Blessings!

Dorinda

The HOD samples look really neat!

If you need more science, McRuffy has a program for K that includes an experiment kit.

What about NOEO Biology 1? I heard a lot about them a few months ago and they sounded awesome.

I'm going to get really specific and say that you could combine them in HOD and go with McRuffy 1st grade for your DD.

Have you looked at some of these suggestions? I've got nothing to do today but check threads (okay, so I am a procrastinator) LOL

You mean McRuffy 1st grade math? I have never heard of McRuffy before today so please explain! :)

Christian Light Education. There have been tons of raves about it lately. Especially math. It is rigorous and easy, being workbook based from what I understand. I haven't really seen many using it below 3rd grade though.

Actually, right now my daughter's extra reading comes from a CLE 2nd grade reader (Helping Hands). I love adding it to Sonlight because the SL is 1st grade readers and honestly, my dd cannot stand their three-book series (I Can Read It, etc.).

What about CLE for everything?

CLE or HOD?...

And Math ... could I use MUS Primer? Or would I need to get something different?

What about NOEO Biology 1? I heard a lot about them a few months ago and they sounded awesome. It does look awesome but you are still coordinated a lot of books. McRuffy is one or two workbook/textbook deals and an experiment kit. I was thinking that you needed to keep it simple. But for K/first grade you really don't need science at all.

You mean McRuffy 1st grade math? I have never heard of McRuffy before today so please explain! :) McRuffy has an all in one LA program... phonics, reading, spelling, grammar, writing. They also have separate math and science. Again, I have built my own curriculum with a little of this and that, including CM and Classical LA. I am going to go with McRuffy for Jake across the board because it is simple and might actually get done! (and it has some great reviews as far as rigor is concerned) You would want to add in any social studies/ read alouds/ activities from somewhere (if you feel like you need them, you really don't, but it is nice to have some school time that is fun. I just don't let myself feel tied to the schedule.)

Actually, right now my daughter's extra reading comes from a CLE 2nd grade reader (Helping Hands). I love adding it to Sonlight because the SL is 1st grade readers and honestly, my dd cannot stand their three-book series (I Can Read It, etc.). My DD didn't like SL readers either. We tried the 2 Regular readers. If your DD is like mine, there are many books that are just boring until they get over the 5th grade reading level hump.

CLE or HOD?... Well, I am not really familiar with CLE, especially how that would work for a first grader. Is it all workbooks? I don't know if it is, but that would not a good idea for first grade, IMO. HOD looks fun and you could combine your kids with their K program.

And Math ... could I use MUS Primer? Or would I need to get something different? You could still use MUS Primer, of course. And with your DDs math phobia (that doesn't mean she can't excel at math, just that she could use a change) I think it is a great idea.

but I would need to supplement reading for her b/c she placed into Sonlight's 2nd Advanced reading - any suggestions on how to work that?..

Have you looked at Veritas Press for this? They have some good literature selections with study guides. I don't want to try SL readers either, but someone recommended them to me recently... Reading for 2nd grade? (considering HOD) It looks like they build up nicely.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

What about NOEO Biology 1? I heard a lot about them a few months ago and they sounded awesome. It does look awesome but you are still coordinated a lot of books. McRuffy is one or two workbook/textbook deals and an experiment kit. I was thinking that you needed to keep it simple. But for K/first grade you really don't need science at all.

You mean McRuffy 1st grade math? I have never heard of McRuffy before today so please explain! :) McRuffy has an all in one LA program... phonics, reading, spelling, grammar, writing. They also have separate math and science. Again, I have built my own curriculum with a little of this and that, including CM and Classical LA. I am going to go with McRuffy for Jake across the board because it is simple and might actually get done! (and it has some great reviews as far as rigor is concerned) You would want to add in any social studies/ read alouds/ activities from somewhere (if you feel like you need them, you really don't, but it is nice to have some school time that is fun. I just don't let myself feel tied to the schedule.)

Actually, right now my daughter's extra reading comes from a CLE 2nd grade reader (Helping Hands). I love adding it to Sonlight because the SL is 1st grade readers and honestly, my dd cannot stand their three-book series (I Can Read It, etc.). My DD didn't like SL readers either. We tried the 2 Regular readers. If your DD is like mine, there are many books that are just boring until they get over the 5th grade reading level hump.

CLE or HOD?... Well, I am not really familiar with CLE, especially how that would work for a first grader. Is it all workbooks? I don't know if it is, but that would not a good idea for first grade, IMO. HOD looks fun and you could combine your kids with their K program.

And Math ... could I use MUS Primer? Or would I need to get something different? You could still use MUS Primer, of course. And with your DDs math phobia (that doesn't mean she can't excel at math, just that she could use a change) I think it is a great idea.

This is GREAT! Thank you!

For what it's worth, we tried MFW K during a busy year and I didn't find it open and go at all. There were books to be found at the library, supplies to be assembled and sadly for my two little guys that year, not a lot of MFW K got done. So then I had to plan for the next little guy in line. For ds 11, I'd used Sonlight K which was great for him, but I felt the read-alouds were too advanced for this next one. I ended up choosing Sonlight 4/5 with Sonlight K LA, which has been a nice combination. All the books are on my shelf, I open the guide and it tells me what to do. I think HOD would be similar and I'm considering one of their programs for ds 6 for 1st grade next year.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling k, 2, 2 and 5

• 2 weeks later...
HOD is the way to go IMHO! It's totally open and go, totally complete, uses the greatest math activities that are fun, easy, and quick, you can combine ages by using the right level of math/LA, and it doesn't take long to do each day! I'm using the first two guides and the fouth one with my 3dc and it's doable. I use all her LA and Math choices too. It's an awesome program! Just have 10 minutes, do a box! Get another 10, do another box...group them up into a few longer sittings or break them down into a dozen short ones, however you can do it. The plans are on one two-page spread that is just for one day. MFW is a great program content-wise, but the flipping back and forth in the plans made it hard for me to see what I had done and what needed to be done (I was also quite new to homeschooling, though the layout is a a common complaint I've heard even with veterens). There are also great key points/objectives in each box of the HOD plans to let you know the goal and the why behind the lesson. Math, LA and poetry are all included so you don't have to plan those yourself (MFW does have math planned for K and 1st).

Thanks - this is great information!

I am really leaning toward HOD and planning to look into McRuffy science....

I really need to find a good all-in-one curriculum (LA, Reading, History, Science) that's open-and-go because I do not / will not have time for much planning once this baby arrives. :) Any suggestions? My daughter is finishing Sonlight K and I do not want to do Sonlight again. I would be willing to do a whole other K curriculum that she and her preschool-brother can do together, but I would need to supplement reading for her b/c she placed into Sonlight's 2nd Advanced reading - any suggestions on how to work that?... I was going to do Galloping the Globe but it just looks like too much work to plan it and I just don't have the time. :( I've thought about Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, simply buying from Abeka or Bob Jones, etc. But please help!!!!

I was just curious about why you do not want to use Sonlight again? I was thinking about using HOD until my dd is 6 and then using Sonlight K for 1st grade. I am just collecting opinions about Sonlight.

I was just curious about why you do not want to use Sonlight again? I was thinking about using HOD until my dd is 6 and then using Sonlight K for 1st grade. I am just collecting opinions about Sonlight.

That's a good question. The reason is that I should have waited and done SL K with my daughter this year or even the following year. Instead, I was using it as a preschool program, and that was a huge mistake. I might very well return to SL when my daughter would be ready for the next level (Sonlight 1? maybe in 2nd grade?). But for now, I've already done what I could in the program with a 4/young 5 year old and it just did not work out for her. The LA was fine, but it was many of the other parts for which she was not entirely ready.

HTH! :)

In your situation, I'd choose HOD. I'm a die-hard MFW-er, but the phonics is so integrated into the program that IMO, if she is beyond the phonics level (which it sounds like she is), you'll have to REALLY tweak it, and that would destroy the ease of the program for you. HOD takes a little longer each day than MFW (done both Little Hearts and MFW K), but it IS a little more laid out, and open and go, and is easier to adjust the phonics/reading and math level up and down.

That's a good question. The reason is that I should have waited and done SL K with my daughter this year or even the following year. Instead, I was using it as a preschool program, and that was a huge mistake. I might very well return to SL when my daughter would be ready for the next level (Sonlight 1? maybe in 2nd grade?). But for now, I've already done what I could in the program with a 4/young 5 year old and it just did not work out for her. The LA was fine, but it was many of the other parts for which she was not entirely ready.

HTH! :)

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have seen several times that Sonlight K ahould be used for 1st grade and Sonlight p4/5 should be used for Kindergarten. I think that I am going to use HOD until first grade and then swith to Sonlight K. Good luck!!

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have seen several times that Sonlight K ahould be used for 1st grade and Sonlight p4/5 should be used for Kindergarten. I think that I am going to use HOD until first grade and then swith to Sonlight K. Good luck!!

I think that's a wise decision! :)

When we have our new baby this year we'll be doing Heart of Dakota with a 3 year old & 5 year old!

My 4.5 yo can't read yet, but will sit and be read to... My goal for the next three weeks as far as preschool is set up a tweaked workbox system, we bought a ton of arts & crafts materials last night, and I'm going to make Ziplock activity bags to correlate with classic children's picture books. If I make them up ahead of time I won't skip arts & crafts. :)

Does your library have on online catalog & reserve system? My DH just picks up books after work when I get notified that they're in. We use the 1000 good books list, Honey for a Child's Heart, Sonlight, etc. to pull titles from.

But Heart of Dakota paired with read alouds and read togethers is plenty!

We're using CLE for math and language arts this year for Dot (k/1st grade.) She just finished the 101 book the other day and started 102 today.

It is very open and go, although I recommend reading over the lesson ahead of time just to make sure you have all your ducks in a row (so to speak.) For the first book (called a LightUnit) you'll need a good-sized handful of pennies and dimes, a chalk or whiteboard, toothpicks or popsicle sticks, etc. If you can get your hands on a base ten set, great, if not, you can do without. As far as manipulative's go, you don't need much.

While the 100 level math is considered first grade, Dot easily could have done it a year ago as a pre-k student. The first nine lessons teach the number 0-9. Lesson 10 teaches place value to the tens column. Book 101 teaches addition facts to five, recognition of pennies & dimes and their value, as well as greater/lesser than and their symbols. 102 introduces subtraction and the nickel.

So while the material is very easy for young children, it's also fairly advanced. My MIL couldn't believe they were teaching first graders place value and the greater/less than symbols so quickly. (Both are introduced before lesson 20.)

It's also very scripted for the teacher, which is nice when you're not sure how to explain a concept so that your child understands it.

Wacko (11 yrs) is working through the 501 Lightunit now, and it's a review of the 400-series material. Yacko (almost 13) will take the 501 test when he finishes what he's currently working on. They'll both be in the 500-series this year.

I'm due in September and have a 4 yr old I'm starting K with in about a month and a 2 1/2 year old. I got the book "Home Education Curriculum: Kindergarten" by Bandy and Wilks and I must say that I *LOVE* it!!! It is organized by week (It cover 36) and by day and by subject. It is in chart form as well as going into more detail for each subject. I plan on preparing a week ahead at a time and having it ready to go. MANY of the activities will be great for both kids at the same time and it is VERY age appropriate - so mostly hands on stuff/world observations a few worksheets and EASY crafts, etc.... supplement with some books from the library, and you're good to go!