Menu

Calling all MUS users: How do you store your blocks?

nukeswife

Hi all,

We just got all our MUS stuff and it looks great. We can't wait to start, but I'm not sure how to store the blocks. Do you all keep them in the boxes they came in or do you have a something else that works better.

I have 3 kids (one who's still pretty young) and I just don't think the boxes will hold up well.

I have both the starter and completer set if that makes a difference in your suggestions.

You can buy special wooden boxes from MUS. Most people I know that have done that love them. I however didn't want to spend the money on that so I took one of each piece to Walmart and bought a fishing tackle box that would hold the pieces. The negative there is that it isn't cute and it is bulky on the shelf. But it works ;)

MUS sells wooden storage boxes for both sets, and we use those. I figured it was worth the expense because I have 2 kids and will be using them for several years. I like them. I keep them in my curriculum cabinet, and we only use them for math lessons.

A friend of mine has 5 kids from age 6 to 14. They all have used or will be using them. She keeps them all loose in a big wicker basket and allows the kids to play with them. She says they haven't lost any. That works for her.

I also purchased the wooden storage boxes for the blocks. I have been very happy with them. One box has grooves that the blocks slide into so that you can show the equation there...my kids really like it. Before I got the storage boxes I was using a nice wicker basket to store them in which was ok...but my kids had to dig around to find the right bars. With the boxes every bar is in its own little space and easy to find.

What we have done is put all the units in a ziploc bag, put the hundreds in a clear plastic tote from walmart and the rest in a red tote that we also got from walmart. The kids play with them like they play with legos.

Tammi

We keep ours in a plastic bin from Wal-Mart. I keep each type of block in a baggie to avoid having to dig for what they need. It did not take the kids long to start really helping with the clean up. We keep the algebra decimal inserts in the box they originally came in (only big kids get to use those) and the big hundred blocks just stack on top of each other. We fold up our block clock poster and put our decimal street lapbook in there so everything is all together.

Blessings

We keep ours in a plastic bin from Wal-Mart.

Us, too.

They don't mind digging for the blocks, that's all they've ever known. I will help if they have trouble finding a certain one.

They also like to put the green units on the ends of their fingers and pretend they are tree frogs. The red 100's are sandwich bread, other blocks go in the middle and are the sandwich fillings.

I use a tool box from Wal-Mart. It was $5 and it works beautifully! It keeps everything sorted. Ours has a lift out tray and storage in the top. We have the top organized with about 4 of every number (no 100s though) and the lift out tray has approximately the same number. Then the 100's and extra 10's are on the bottom level. This way I can have 2 kids using them at the same time with their own set of the lower numbers.

I bought the wooden boxes that MUS sells. I started with 2 kids in Alpha and planned to use them for years and years so for me it was worth the extra investment. I love them and they keep everything neat & tidy.

Most people I know just throw them all together in a plastic bin with a lid though. If you don't want to spend the extra, I suppose it works well enough.

.... It's pretty easy to see what you want....

:iagree:I would hate to sort blocks after each use, several times per day for years. oh my!

I bought the sterilite box with a hinged lid, so the lid never gets misplaced. perfect.

Thanks for all you input folks.

I love the boxes that MUS sells but they were a bit out of my price range, so I ended going to Target today for some other items and found these Snap 'N Stack boxes. I bought 3 sets and was able to use 2 sets to fit all our MUS blocks in except for the hundreds blocks. One container in each set has a built in divider to split it into two sections, so I put the 1s,2s,3s,4s,5s,& 6s in those and then the 7s, 8s, & 9s each have their own container and the 10s take up 2 containers. I loved that I could snap the 2 sets together to make a large tower with 1 handle on the top. It's a lot of boxes but for now it will do the trick.

I still use the blocks. I just put them in a little basket that has a handle. I think I got it at AC Moore for a couple of bucks. I keep it in the school cabinet, and my dc just get it out as needed. It doesn't keep all the units separated, but it's big enough that it's not a problem getting out the needed blocks without digging around.

We keep them in the original box. That way I know that none are missing. My kids don't use them much, though. We've always kept the Cuisenaire rods in the original box, too. We keep the Cuisenaire jumbo blocks in a plastic shoebox, and some of them have been lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up, because I just wanted to share pictures of our new MUS block container I found at The Container Store. I was really hoping to see photos of some of your containers, so I hope this will help someone.

Here's my blog post about our container in more detail. Found this for $14.99. I just ordered the Completer set and it should fit all but a few of the big red ones.

http://satorismiles.com/2009/06/24/math-u-see-block-container/

0906-mus-blocks-002-400x400.jpg

Perfect size for little hands!

0906-mus-blocks-0051-400x324.jpg

We keep them in the original box. That way I know that none are missing. My kids don't use them much, though. We've always kept the Cuisenaire rods in the original box, too. We keep the Cuisenaire jumbo blocks in a plastic shoebox, and some of them have been lost.

Me too. My dd was only allowed to have them out for math and NEVER in front of her little brother! :tongue_smilie: Now, she doesn't need them. They are just waiting for the little brother to need them in the future.