Menu

How do makeover artists make frizzy/curly hair straight?

I'm looking at this website that has tons of pictures of "ambush" makeovers. The before and after photos are absolutely amazing. Some of the ladies don't even look like the same person. A lot of them go into the process with super curly and/or frizzy hair and come out with straight, shiny hair. What's up with that? How do they do that? I'm completely and altogether curious!

Here's one example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=82#tdy_ambush_makeovers

You can click previous and next to see more.

I think they use a lot of process (blow drying, flat ironing) and a lot of product (mousse, etc.) I watch a lot of these shows, too. Also, I am of African descent and, I know you're not talking about my kind of hair, but the same applies--lots of process, lots of product. :D

:iagree:

That's exactly it. You can also get a reverse perm, but I think it might depend on how curly your hair is.

The main trick is put gel in it and blow dry it while brushing it with a big, square brush. If it's really curly, I would probably recommend doing it in smaller sections and making sure each one is completely dry before moving on.

A LOT of work (coming from a curly with a curly dd). I straightened dd hair last week and it took me almost two hours. To do mine it take an hour. That is if it starts out dry. Takes much longer if I blow it straight and then flat iron.

Like they said, product and heat. That is how you get it done.

I think they use a lot of process (blow drying, flat ironing) and a lot of product (mousse, etc.) I watch a lot of these shows, too. Also, I am of African descent and, I know you're not talking about my kind of hair, but the same applies--lots of process, lots of product. :D

Same hair here, same answer.

asta

Just a note:

All flat irons are not created equal!

Chi(?) or Che(?) is the best flat iron out there and I have bought several.

It is expensive but worth it if you want that real straight look.

You do need to use it in conjunction with some good hair product.

I bought mine from my hair salon.

A LOT of work (coming from a curly with a curly dd). I straightened dd hair last week and it took me almost two hours. To do mine it take an hour. That is if it starts out dry. Takes much longer if I blow it straight and then flat iron.

Like they said, product and heat. That is how you get it done.

:iagree:Same hair too. I have a flat iron but will only use on dry hair, I'm not even sure our blow dryer works anymore. I haven't done it in a long time, it's so humid here it doesn't hold well.

I had my hair chemically straightened for about a year-and-a-half. Even so, I had to flatiron it and use plenty of gel, hair serum, etc. Then my hair started breaking off about 3 inches from the roots. Ugh. I've decided it's best not to fight nature too much. I've invested in some expensive gel now to keep the curls from getting too frizzy. (I soo wish I lived back in the desert. FL humidity is my enemy.)

I have very bushy, curly, thick, frizzy hair, a little shorter than shoulder length. If my hair is completely dry, I can flat iron it and have it totally straight in about 15 minutes. If I want to straighten it in the morning, I have to wash it at night, because it would take too long too blow dry and flat iron in the a.m. But with a good cut and a good (i.e. expensive) flat iron, it doesn't take that long.

There'e always Japanese straightening, if you have a spare $700-1000.

Just for those of you who are trying to blowdry hair straight or using flat irons that crush and bake hair...

the Instyler REALLY DOES WORK. And it works well. I have a coworker (we take calls for the Instyler as well as many other products) who was able to cut the time to do her niece's biracial hair into 1/3 of what it took to flat iron it. And it's soft and not damaged doing it.

http://www.getinstyler.com

and on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/instylerhair

Just a note:

All flat irons are not created equal!

Chi(?) or Che(?) is the best flat iron out there and I have bought several.

It is expensive but worth it if you want that real straight look.

You do need to use it in conjunction with some good hair product.

I bought mine from my hair salon.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes, yes, yes! The Chi is amazing. I had 2 flat irons before I spent the money on a Chi. My hair would straighten but it only stayed straight for a few hours at most. With the Chi I can straighten my hair and it will stay straight for the entire day - mostly. I may need to run the Chi back through it in some of super curly spots if I am going back out that night. I live in Houston where 80% humidity is the norm so that's saying something! :)

Also the Chi makes my hair look so shiny! My hair stylist keeps telling me that if I will spend the money and get the Chi hair dryer as well I will be even happier with the results!

Edited by Jennefer@SSA
Thought of something else.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes, yes, yes! The Chi is amazing. I had 2 flat irons before I spent the money on a Chi. My hair would straighten but it only stayed straight for a few hours at most. With the Chi I can straighten my hair and it will stay straight for the entire day - mostly. I may need to run the Chi back through it in some of super curly spots if I am going back out that night. I live in Houston where 80% humidity is the norm so that's saying something! :)

Also the Chi makes my hair look so shiny! My hair stylist keeps telling me that if I will spend the money and get the Chi hair dryer as well I will be even happier with the results!

:iagree:

I use a Chi too. And the thermal protection spray helps a lot.

I'm looking at this website that has tons of pictures of "ambush" makeovers. The before and after photos are absolutely amazing. Some of the ladies don't even look like the same person. A lot of them go into the process with super curly and/or frizzy hair and come out with straight, shiny hair. What's up with that? How do they do that? I'm completely and altogether curious!

Here's one example:

I have very curly, even frizzy (if I don't put a bunch of stuff on it,) hair, and I sometimes straighten it with a flat iron. It comes out perfectly staight and almost silky.

Well, I watched the video for the Instyler and it looked easy but extremely time consuming. The price was a bit out of my range as well.

I have what I would call coarse hair - not curly but not straight - just irritating. I look like the mom in the movie "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" (same lady that plays Dharma's mother) - ugh.

Anyway, I do have a flatiron that cost a lot at a little kiosk in the mall. The lady who sold it to me straightened my hair with it and it looked great. When I got home with it I could never achieve the same effect.:glare: Oh, well, dd16 uses it, so it wasn't a total waste.

I think I may not be conditioning it enough. Anyone know of a good hair conditioner that won't break the bank - say something that could be bought at a drugstore or Walmart for about $10-$20?

Here's one example:

I don't know about makeup artists but I do know that my dil had their little girls hair straightened. It took 6 hrs and she has to go back and get it touched up every 6-8 wks. It also took lots of $'s.

Go to the kids' section and get the detangling spray. I also use the Suave Smoothing creme when I straight-iron my hair. Between the two the style holds until I next wash my hair (or it gets wet lol), and doesn't tangle.

Becky,

Do you use the Suave Smoothing creme on dry hair or wet? Thanks for the tips - I appreciate it.:)

Well, I watched the video for the Instyler and it looked easy but extremely time consuming. The price was a bit out of my range as well.

I have what I would call coarse hair - not curly but not straight - just irritating. I look like the mom in the movie "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" (same lady that plays Dharma's mother) - ugh.

Anyway, I do have a flatiron that cost a lot at a little kiosk in the mall. The lady who sold it to me straightened my hair with it and it looked great. When I got home with it I could never achieve the same effect.:glare: Oh, well, dd16 uses it, so it wasn't a total waste.

I think I may not be conditioning it enough. Anyone know of a good hair conditioner that won't break the bank - say something that could be bought at a drugstore or Walmart for about $10-$20?

I use nexxus humectress and/or biosilk silk therapy.