Menu

Tragic child death (Mike Tyson's daughter) and reminder

At 3 my son got tangled up in a blind cord - it was horrifying and he was OK, praise God. I can't imagine what they are going through. I will be praying for them.

And please - anyone with kids under 5 and ANY blind cords - TIE THEM UP or cut them off!! (Ours was a dropping cord from the top of a vertical blind - completely not what you would ever expect a child would get near).

I saw it on the news, too, and although I don't think Mike Tyson is the nicest guy in the world, he certainly looked very upset about his little girl, and it sounds like he rushed to get to the hospital as soon as he heard about the accident. I feel so sorry for the 7yo brother who found her, and for the poor mom, who tried so hard to save her.

What a tragedy.

Cat

Guest Alte Veste Academy
And please - anyone with kids under 5 and ANY blind cords - TIE THEM UP or cut them off!! (Ours was a dropping cord from the top of a vertical blind - completely not what you would ever expect a child would get near).

:iagree: But talk about what you would completely not expect... Look out for your cords and your pets. One of our cats died in 2007 after being strangled by some cords hanging behind our dresser. The kids were safe from them but not our kitty. My husband zip ties everything but those were just a mess because they were hidden and we really didn't think it mattered.

Very glad for this "reminder" thread. I'd like to use the opportunity to include a warning for young children and necklaces.

When our eldest was a baby, his pediatrician shared the sad story of losing a toddler patient, who accidentally hung himself by a twine necklace which the mother had given him to wear. He mentioned it after noticing our son's cross, and commending the safe way he wore it.

Members of our faith wear a cross always, from baptism onward. By the time that a child can walk, the cross no longer is pinned to the clothing, but normally is worn every day on a necklace. We were very careful always to use a chain that was guaranteed to break, if caught on something.

Thank you for mentioning pet safety, too.

I twisted my neck up in a rope swing once when I was about 5. I don't remember how I did it, but I remember how painful the rope burns on my neck were. i wish my parents were around so I could ask them what exactly happened. :confused:

I had heard about that poor girl but hadn't heard she was off LS. It is so, so sad!

At 3 my son got tangled up in a blind cord - it was horrifying and he was OK, praise God. I can't imagine what they are going through. I will be praying for them.

Dh's cousin did lose a child that way.

You won't find any blinds or curtains that use cords in our house!

Also, PLEASE take the key out of your treadmill and store it out of reach. And if your treadmill doesn't have a key (and you have small children) get rid of it. That feature is good for more than just shutting off the machine if you trip!

Also be careful with string/rope near trees-as homeschoolers a lot of us love to have our kids be in nature and creative, but even lowering tin cans on string from trees or such fun can be a recipe for hanging, as we nearly found out here one time-it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me! Everything was fine, but a summer reminder to be careful with this!

So, very, very sad.

:iagree: But talk about what you would completely not expect... Look out for your cords and your pets. One of our cats died in 2007 after being strangled by some cords hanging behind our dresser. The kids were safe from them but not our kitty. My husband zip ties everything but those were just a mess because they were hidden and we really didn't think it mattered.

Zip ties also need to be put way out of reach. My husband recalls vividly (every time he sees a pack of zip ties, in fact) a very scary few minutes, early in his career, when he and his partner tried desperately to get the scissors under a zip tie that was around the neck of a very blue child. I think it was possibly the scariest five minutes in his 20 years as a paramedic.

This is so sad. Unfortunately she died.

Quote:

Mike Tyson's Daughter Dies After Hanging Accident

By ANNA DIMOND

TV GUIDE

Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter, Exodus Tyson, has died after accidentally hanging herself on a piece of exercise equipment at home.

Phoenix Police Department Officer James Holmes told TVGuide.com that Exodus Tyson died at 11:45 a.m. (MST) in what he called a "tragic accident." An autopsy is expected to be performed. Holmes said the family is asking for privacy in the matter.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/406587_tvgif26.html