Menu

Kindergarten favorites??

My youngest son will be in kindergarten next year, and I can't seem to remember what I liked best with my older two when they were that age (I definitely need a summer vacation, lol!).

Anyone willing to share their favorite, not-to-be-missed resources?? Any misses??

I appreciate it so much! Thanks~

Guest 4boys

I also like Explode the Code series, Handwriting without Tears (Letters and Numbers for Me) and my kids really like Richard Scarry's Best Rainy Day Book Ever (mostly activities and colouring). The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature was also a hit. I am probably going to get my next pre-K/K'er the Rod and Staff preschool series because so many people like them and I like how they look too. For math my current K son is using Horizons and it's been good for him. It starts off really easy and progresses at a good pace. He can write numbers so much nicer than my oldest son did at that age!

100 EZ Lessons was a big hit at our house, loved reading the books from Five in a Row and Veritas Press First Favorites. Explode the Code was a hit too and he loved Saxon 1 with a heavy emphasis on using the manipulatives, less emphasis on filling in the worksheets.

It is a grand age, enjoy the snuggles, the sense of wonder and how amazing they find everything.

We've switched things up this time around! we are loving the SL read-alouds and I Can Read It, Rightstart Math A, and we just started Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (I've done SSRW 3 times and am working through grade 1 with the 6 yo and think we'll keep reading the readers, but I think I'll enjoy the change to OPGTTR myself!) My son loves BJU math so we sprinkle that in some, play the math games from Rightstart and the phonics games from SSRW, and listen to fun music each day like Beethoven's Wig. We loved the Kumon workbooks and the R&S workbooks before this. And we just started doing memory work with Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization. They are loving that!

My daughter last year loved the Explode the code primers and moved onto ETC book 1. She also did Singapore Earlybird math, and moved onto Horizons K. She loves workbooks!

We also enjoyed Galloping the Globe, and lots of library books! :001_smile:

She particularly enjoyed free art time...drawing, creating, cutting, pasting...she had so much fun!

My K'er really enjoyed the Draw Write Now books this year, along with Ed Emberley's drawing books, especially his Animals book.

Also, a second vote for Beethoven's Wig--a huge hit around here.

She adored the Minnie and Moo series in the I Can Read books, and the Mr. Putter and Tabby books by Cynthia Rylant.

Earlybird Math was great for her, as well.

• 1 month later...
Guest aprongirl

I mainly focused on teaching my daughter to read using Phonics Pathways. We also read several books, especially those listed in Five in a Row. The Christian Liberty Press readers and nature readers are lovely additions to any curricula. Kindergarten can be such a fun year.

I've only homeschooled one K'er. My oldest 2 were in Montessori for Kindergarten. But I can tell you what she loved. She adored Phonics Museum. She loved Shiller Math as well. She's a 'do something' kind of kid. Usually someone as high energy and active as her isn't a workbook type but she likes them. I think it's a matter of having something to do. We did pattern blocks, geography puzzles, read alouds, etc. Oh and for those times you need the K'er out of the way to teach the older ones but don't want them to feel like they are still "doing school" - Magic School bus videos and a Travel series cartoon whose name escapes me but I bought at HEAV last year. I can look it up but right now I can't because the kids are in the pool and it's probably best not to leave them alone :-).

Heather

We liked Five in a Row, La Clase Divertida, Kinderbach and Right Start Math level A. I never did find a phonics program that wowed me, but Ariel has been loving All About Spelling, if I had another child, I might consider using it to teach reading because it has really reinforced her phonics knowledge.

Ditto on the Beethoven's Wig - Ariel thinks the songs are hilarious.

We enjoyed Galloping the Globe combined with Five in a Row. You can tie a Five in a Row book into just about every country in GTG, I think.
:iagree:The American Library Association has "Growing up Around the World" we combined those books with "Around the World Art and Activities". So much fun!

Also: MUS Primer is great! MUS alpha was a bomb!

Handwriting from Abeka is colorful and fun.

For DS I plan to use McRuffy across the board, adding Lauri letters to our phonics. Lauri Letters were a big hit.

We really enjoyed Five in a Row. All of my children loved the books in this program. We also had success with Phonics Museum from Veritas Press. For K math, we liked Horizons.

The biggest kindergarten hit here, however, has always been nature study. Ventures to the backyard to collect leaves and bugs, and trips to the beach to collect seashells and play in the sand were (and still are) favorites in my family.

We just wrapped up a great K year!!

My favorites were:

Explode the Code (seems many people like this one ;))

Saxon Math 1 -- ds really picked up a lot from this

Let's Read and Find Out Science books -- from library. We didn't do really anything formal for science, but both dc loved these books.

Bob books

Rod and Staff math 1

Rod and Staff ABC workbooks

Rod and Staff Bible nurture reading and phonics sec. 1 of 1st grade

Science, I have a preschool material science book that is lots of fun, and an Usborne Science in the Kitchen book.

History, she follows along w/older sis' SOTW

Music, she follows w/sis & I got her some WEE sings C.D.s

And we read from library books and What Your K'er Needs to Know for fun.

This is what I have on tap for my up and coming Ker in the fall. She will start the 1st grade reading and phonics 2nd semester after she completes her ABC workbooks (3 left to go!)

My older dd got through section 2 of the phonics and reading before spring of her K year and finished up the rest for first grade. But this dd is not going into K as strong of a reader as she was, so we will take it slowly.