Menu

Work from home jobs

Night Elf

What are some legitimate work from home jobs? My ds has Aspergers and would like a career that doesn't involve him going into a store or an office. He needs some practice on various skills, but we need to know what kinds of jobs are out there so he can determine what kind of training and education he may need.

He doesn't want to be a telemarketer. 

• Like 1

Honestly, there won't be many work-from-home jobs that will support an adult long-term (let alone a family) comfortably unless there is prior experience in a physical workplace to establish credibility and contacts.

You say an office environment is out, but what about some kind of technology/computer/data management job where he is rather isolated in the proverbial cubicle? That could eventually lead to a viable work-at-home situation. Or an equipment maintenance job? My brother (not Asperger's but not a people person) works for a large mechanical equipment company. He is sent out to job sites that own the company's equipment to do maintenance and repairs. The job requires his excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, but very little human interaction. 

• Like 3

Translation. Obviously, you would have to have the skills, but the work can be done entirely from home. Comparatively little contact with people - mostly online (rarely on the phone) and quite business-like. With the proper language/translation skills one could easily make enough money to support someone.

I have at times worked short stints as internet evaluator (or similar). It is decent work, but rather unreliable (projects can get cancelled at any time) so I wouldn't consider it a career but more for some extra money on the side.

Yeah, he's looking for long-term and we don't know what that means for him. He has talked about wanting to eventually move out but it's not something he wants to think about yet. I'd love to hook him up with some other adult Aspies for support and experience. He doesn't drive yet though which makes lots of things hard. Right now we're just trying to get an idea of what types of jobs are available. It makes sense that he needs to work outside the home to gain experience before he can work from home though. 

with aspies - computers/web design/etc. are common.   there's a reason MS had great benefits for aspies. . . . . (at least they did at one time according to my friend whose ex is an aspie, and who has two aspies.)

web design can frequently be done from home - but you still need to build up a client base which can be more stressful than actually going to a job.   but with computers (I live in computer land north), there are a lot of aspies.  there are many jobs in tech that don't require a lot of interaction with very many people.  there are many that are more demanding of having pertinent certificates than a college degree.   he can do the certificate training online within a few months.  (if he's self-directed).  there are employment agencies (at least here) that specialize in placing those with those certs.

with aspies - computers/web design/etc. are common.   there's a reason MS had great benefits for aspies. . . . . (at least they did at one time according to my friend whose ex is an aspie, and who has two aspies.)

web design can frequently be done from home - but you still need to build up a client base which can be more stressful than actually going to a job.   but with computers (I live in computer land north), there are a lot of aspies.  there are many jobs in tech that don't require a lot of interaction with very many people.  there are many that are more demanding of having pertinent certificates than a college degree.   he can do the certificate training online within a few months.  (if he's self-directed).  there are employment agencies (at least here) that specialize in placing those with those certs.

:iagree:  Certificates are key over degrees at so many places if you're in a good IT market. My dh and his managers care a lot more about hiring someone who is current on certs than someone with a CS degree and no certs. 

:iagree:  Certificates are key over degrees at so many places if you're in a good IT market. My dh and his managers care a lot more about hiring someone who is current on certs than someone with a CS degree and no certs. 

I have a dd with a BA in classics . . . . classics!  (she'll be a great homeschool mom someday) . . . she has various comp certs. (she picked them all up within a three month period)  she's been in tech for nine years, and doing very well.

there are subtle things that make a degree advantageous (rather than the degree itself) - but those certs are pretty important.  my high school drop out nephew with computer certs and ?years experience probably makes more money than his has three music degrees classical musician older brother.

Stupid question, maybe.. But what certificates & where does one train for them?

My Ds is heading to college for CS in another year, but is past the CS classses that our CC offers & still wants some more CS stuff to fill in his schedule senior year.

And maybe that would be helpful for landing internships or part time programming jobs while in college, too...

Edited by Hilltopmom

About certifications... it depends on what branch of IT you're looking for. DH works in IT security, so his certs look different from those of his best friend in system engineering, or his dad in IT project management, or my dad in systems administration. And even within those specializations, the certifications (and amount of people contact) needed really depend on the job responsibilities. For instance, DH is in meetings for a good 40% of his workday, spends a lot of time on the phone and emailing, and doesn't get to work from home as much as he'd like. However, the ones he arranges to do the more active on-site and remote testing work a lot of overnights, a lot from home, and often alone or with only a couple other people.

FWIW, many of these certs are expensive. DH's work pays thousands a year for him to get new certs or take classes to keep up his old ones. He's going to a class and conference next month, but skipping the test for various reasons. The test alone is over $1000. But some of the more basic, entry level certifications should not be that pricy, and probably available locally, maybe even through the CC.

• Like 3

I have the same question as Hilltopmom. What certificates?  Our local tech school has some computer certificate programs but they seem to be for people already experienced in the field. 

Me three!  I would love to know about legitimate certification providers.  

if he likes hardware - you can do a program for a CCNA (cysco)  through classes or at home.  (you have to buy the equipment, which is upwards of $1000,- but then it is self-study and take the exams.  (which also have fees).   eta: if you take the classes - they provide the equipment to study upon.

for software - it depends what he wants to do.

here are links to the different comp certs and their level of desirability, and broken down by field. both lists are for 2017.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/best-it-certifications,1-1352.html

https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/content/articles/top-paying-certifications/

dd started with sql and relatd certs. she did an overpriced but cohesive boot camp - and was working within three months.  she also eventually worked from home part of the time, as well as office.  she also regularly worked with people she only dealt with online.  (one was in cornwall, one in texas. one in ireland)

when she was stressed - she'd work from home and bake.  she had cat 6 installed in her house before she'd even move in.  she had to have hardwired. we're in tech country - and  builders/flippers still think people only want wireless.  techies want the speed and dependability of hard wire.

this isn't to say CS degrees are worthless. I know people with them and no certs who do very well for themselves.  it really depends what you want to do. 

Edited by gardenmom5

If I had any  recent work experience, I would pay to join FlexJobs.com  https://www.flexjobs.com/   When I looked into it last year, I think it was USD$40 per year, but when I signed up, they sent me a coupon code for 50% off and once after that I got an email for that same discount. I believe it is very reputable.  You can scan their job listings for ideas.

I wouldn't rule out an office experience. My dad owns an engineering firm that appears to be populated with aspies. I love taking my aspie seven year old there because he feels normal. Everyone seems to get along, working in their own cubicle and interacting when necessary. It seems like a happy place.

Maybe something like that would work well for him.

• Like 1