Menu

Bed for guests that's NOT an air mattress. Update in original post

ksr5377

Does anyone have a a foldaway type bed they would recommend?  

This is specifically for an elderly couple, but I would like to be able to use it for anyone.  I need something that's not close to the ground (they'll never get up out of it) and that can hold a decent amount of weight.  I can get two twins, but they probably need to hold almost 300 lbs.  

My initial plan was to get a foldout couch or something, but in the end the room it will go in doesn't have the space for something to be there all the time.  We'll be pushing some furniture up against the walls to make room during their visit.  

UPDATE:  Just wanted to let everyone know that my DH thought setting up the real beds was just as easy as dealing with all the other options, other than an air mattress, which wouldn't have worked.  Our guests LOVED the sleeping arrangements and both of them said they slept great!  So great they stayed an extra night, which we were thrilled with.  The only downside is the continued storage of two mattresses and box springs, so we're going to look at the mattress base posted below to see if we could eliminate the need for the box springs.  

Edited by ksr5377

How about a futon?  Or a daybed so you can store one twin under the other.  You can then use them separately or together to make a king size bed if you need it that way.

Anne

Edited by Anne

Aerobed makes a raised air mattress which is 18" high.

I don't have one, but it was a QVC Today's Special Value recently and I watched the presentation. It looked like it would sit high enough off the ground to be comfortable for getting on and off of it.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

I would love to turn our room over to them, but they can't do stairs and we have a two story. We're going to have them stay in the office downstairs....provided we can figure out a bed. They would stay in a hotel but I know they (and us) would prefer them to be here.

• Like 1

I just have a simple queen mattress and box spring on a metal frame attached to a headboard in my own room. It wouldn't take me long to disassemble it and take that downstairs. A very temporary, cheap solution.

• Like 2

I just have a simple queen mattress and box spring on a metal frame attached to a headboard in my own room. It wouldn't take me long to disassemble it and take that downstairs. A very temporary, cheap solution.

Yes, or even one of the kids beds if they have a full size bed. You could buy a metal frame for about $100, jcpenney usually has them or another furniture store.

How long will the guests be staying?

Will they be back for more visits?

Thanks everyone, we're going to go with the real beds. We have two spare twin mattresses and room in the office for both. Two of the metal frames are less expensive than even one good rollaway bed. Also, since we would have to store the rollaway in the basement, DH thinks a real bed would be just as easy to set up. Thanks for the idea, it never even crossed my mind to just move beds.

• Like 4

Does anyone have a a foldaway type bed they would recommend?  

This is specifically for an elderly couple, but I would like to be able to use it for anyone.  I need something that's not close to the ground (they'll never get up out of it) and that can hold a decent amount of weight.  I can get two twins, but they probably need to hold almost 300 lbs.  

My initial plan was to get a foldout couch or something, but in the end the room it will go in doesn't have the space for something to be there all the time.  We'll be pushing some furniture up against the walls to make room during their visit.  

We have the IKEA Hemnes daybed.  It is my daughter's bed for day to day, but pulls out to become a full size bed when we have guests.

• Like 2

I see OP found a solution, but for anyone else looking for ideas: 

A futon that converts into a queen-sized bed.  It's not too low to the ground and it works for my 6' tall father.  Prior to this, we had a hard time finding solutions that were long enough for him; his feet would be hanging off the end of a double, which many futons and sofa sleepers are.

It's not my favorite style of furniture but it's not bad, but it works well in an office/homeschool storage room, can be put into a more upright position to make more floor space, and it's comfortable to sleep on.  About $400-500 cost.  We're using it as a spot for kids' quiet times and reading during the 90% of time that no one needs it for a bed.  It takes up less space than a normal queen, which would really limit the floor space and use of the room.  

My other thought had been a Murphy bed.  

There are some companies that specialize in sleeper sofas, I guess in high-demand markets like large cities where many people are looking for sleeping solutions in tight spaces: http://www.sleepersinseattle.com/

We have THIS bed frame that we use for my son when he is home from college.  It serves the place of a boxspring and raises the mattress up to 'standard' bed height.    You could use what ever type of mattress makes sense for your needs/space/storage.

The frame is very sturdy, folds quite flat, and is really easy to store against a wall when not in use.  Perhaps this with one of the heavily padded. firm sided air mattresses would work.

• Like 1