Menu

First spin class and it hurts to sit down

AnnE-girl

Is this normal, or was there something wrong with me or the bike I used? I feel like my bottom is bruised. I haven't taken a mirror to check if it's actually black and blue, but it feels like it probably is. I'm very short, but I thought I had the bike adjusted correctly.

It's just one of the drop in classes offered at my gym, so I don't think I'm going to try it again, but I'm curious.

Totally normal. :)

It takes about 6 sessions for your bum to become completely adjusted.

ETA: At our first class, dh rode for about 20 minutes biting down on a towel before he gave up and left. Now he loves it. It gets better, I promise!

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 2

I would ask the instructor to give you a proper bike fit. It's super important so you don't injure yourself. I don't think what you are experiencing sounds normal at all. Sore? Of course--that's why we work out! Pain? Nope. That means something is off.

Also, bike shorts exist for a reason. They will help protect the soft tissue as well as add comfort when you're in the saddle. Women often underestimate the importance of protecting their nether region. (And gently, because you are new to this, bike shorts are meant to be worn against your skin, not against undies. Otherwise it's a recipe for chafing.)

• Like 2

Before taking my first spin class I had heard about this type of pain. It kept me from even trying a spin class. Then I received advice from a few seasoned spinners (haha) - slightly tuck your pelvis and keep keep your abs engaged the entire time. It worked!! No pain in that area. Give it a try next time. Sorry to hear your bottom hurts. I hope it feels better soon.

I would ask the instructor to give you a proper bike fit. It's super important so you don't injure yourself. I don't think what you are experiencing sounds normal at all. Sore? Of course--that's why we work out! Pain? Nope. That means something is off.

I don't know, it sounds normal to me. My butt feels bruised at the beginning of bike season every year. And I have a well padded butt :)

Kelly

• Like 1

I don't know, it sounds normal to me. My butt feels bruised at the beginning of bike season every year. And I have a well padded butt :)

Kelly

You might try doing some targeted training before biking season--squats and the like--to strengthen those muscles. Stretching out properly after a spin session is super beneficial as well. The pigeon pose is great for working out those deep muscles (as is a roller).

Pain typically indicates either over exertion (doing too much before your body is able) or bad form. Spin instructors are trained to help prevent the second; the first is alleviated by knowing how to listen to your body.

Unfortunately our "natural padding" doesn't replace proper bike shorts, though. :)

• Like 1

Every spin instructor I've ever had says this is typical, and every person I've ever known who just started spinning has gone through this. It is not unusual. At all.

Perhaps if you are an experienced cyclist outside the spin room, it is less of an issue? I could see that.

What the OP is describing is not muscle pain and won't be alleviated by squats. (Trust me, I'd done hundreds if not thousands of squats before my first class. It's not a strength issue.) It's caused by not being used to the pressure and shape of the seat. It feels like bruising, not soreness. Honestly, it felt to me similar to the way my nether regions felt after delivering two babies.

My favorite instructor tells every person new to her class to expect this discomfort, but it does go away after a few classes. Honest.

(Do make sure the instructor has fitted you for the bike, however. That's important. But it won't fix this problem.)

Is this normal, or was there something wrong with me or the bike I used? I feel like my bottom is bruised. I haven't taken a mirror to check if it's actually black and blue, but it feels like it probably is. I'm very short, but I thought I had the bike adjusted correctly.

It's just one of the drop in classes offered at my gym, so I don't think I'm going to try it again, but I'm curious.

That always happens when you first get on a bike after not doing so for a long time.  It should get better over the course of a week or so, especially if you keep riding (or, maybe I should say spinning) regularly.  If you don't, the next time you get on a bike the same thing will happen.

I was really curious by how many people agreed that the OP's amount of pain is normal, so I asked my spin instructor tonight for his thoughts. His take is that if you don't bike or are new to spinning some amount of soreness could be expected (like any new exercise). But pain, no way. His suggestion--if you want it--was that now that you have so much discomfort that you ought to get back on the bike in a couple of days. He said day 2 will probably be worst and it should get better from there. But pain is a sign that something was amiss.

Any way, I hope the OP recovers quickly. Exercise pain is no fun. :(

I was really curious by how many people agreed that the OP's amount of pain is normal, so I asked my spin instructor tonight for his thoughts. His take is that if you don't bike or are new to spinning some amount of soreness could be expected (like any new exercise). But pain, no way. His suggestion--if you want it--was that now that you have so much discomfort that you ought to get back on the bike in a couple of days. He said day 2 will probably be worst and it should get better from there. But pain is a sign that something was amiss.

I'm not a spin instructor and I spend more time cycling on the road than I do in a studio, but I know nearly everyone in our spin class and most I see on the road are wearing padded shorts. They make special products to smear on your sensitive areas to avoid chafing.   I use the products to prevent discomfort- I can do a 45 minute spin class without them if the instructor has us out of our seats some of the time.   But I wouldn't expect a beginner to be able to do it without pain, especially since she might not have the core strength to keep pressure off those sensitive areas. 

I think there's a fine line between 'some amount of soreness' and 'pain' when you are talking about your crotch area. In a woman with little padding there, it can quickly cross into pain. 

ETA: if the seat was too high or too far back, that would definitely contribute to the movement of the crotch area, thus leading to more rubbing and potential bruising. A good fit is essential. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions and commiseration. I feel a bit better than last night. It's not so much sore from chafing, but bruised from bumping against the seat. When we did seated sprints especially, the bike sort of rattled from the high speed and the seat bumped against my butt. (Sorry for the graphic description) The seats don't have much cushioning at all.

We just suspended our membership for the summer, so I won't be able to try another class for a while. I will try to get out on my regular bike soon though.

Edited to add: My muscles aren't that sore, in spite of doing a leg workout the day before and running in the morning before the class. I could hardly walk to my car after the class from muscle tiredness, but that recovered by the next day.

Edited by AnnE-girl
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and commiseration. I feel a bit better than last night. It's not so much sore from chafing, but bruised from bumping against the seat. When we did seated sprints especially, the bike sort of rattled from the high speed and the seat bumped against my butt. (Sorry for the graphic description) The seats don't have much cushioning at all.

We just suspended our membership for the summer, so I won't be able to try another class for a while. I will try to get out on my regular bike soon though.

Edited to add: My muscles aren't that sore, in spite of doing a leg workout the day before and running in the morning before the class. I could hardly walk to my car after the class from muscle tiredness, but that recovered by the next day.

Your butt shouldn't be bouncing on the seat. Usually that means you need to increase the bike's resistance.

• Like 1

Pain/sore are the same thing to me. Maybe that is the issue, our definition of sore is different.

Kelly

• Like 2

Your butt shouldn't be bouncing on the seat. Usually that means you need to increase the bike's resistance.

Yep, no bouncing (bad form, as you found out). Increase resistance and try placing a bit more weight onto your hands/forearms. If you are sprinting, you will likely want to be in an aero position with weight pretty equally distributed. It will take some playing around to find what works best for you.

Hopefully that will help, if you're brave enough to try again. :)