Menu

Help me get my feet ready for summer :-)!!!

mlktwins

I need help with my feet without going to get a pedicure. Please tell me your best methods for getting dry, rough feet (especially the heels) in good order. Also, once I have them in good shape, what are your best methods for keeping them that way?

I do my toe nails each week, but only paint them in the summer. My heels are especially bad.

I know the hive will have tons of great advice!!!

These Japanese scrubbing cloths do a really nice job of buffing my feet in the shower. They're kind of like tightly woven plastic mesh and they wash & dry easily. Much better than those bath puffs. These have taken my heels from gross to decent.

I just did a foot peel treatment on Saturday. Any day now my feet will shed skin like a snake and I will supposedly have baby-soft feet. Then hopefully the scrubbing cloths will maintain the softness.

• Like 1

Can I ask why not get a pedicure?  I have rough heels from going barefoot and nothing works as well as having someone else use a heavy duty callus treatment and then go after them with a blade or the cheese grater thing. 

But...if you can't do that, then the stuf for old people feet is the best at breaking down calluses over time...https://www.amazon.com/Flexitol-Medicated-Foot-Cream-Oz/dp/B00EY5ZOTE

Can I ask why not get a pedicure?  I have rough heels from going barefoot and nothing works as well as having someone else use a heavy duty callus treatment and then go after them with a blade or the cheese grater thing. 

But...if you can't do that, then the stuf for old people feet is the best at breaking down calluses over time... https://www.amazon.com/Flexitol-Heel-Balm-Ounce-Tube/dp/B0013H8M5E/ref=pd_lpo_194_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FY7BDC579T7MS05VWGZS&th=1

Edited to fix link. 

Edited by ktgrok

That thing is amazing. Really. Works wonders.

I use that when needed, and amlactin alpha hydroxy lotion every day. Once I started with the lotion, I didn't need the microplane as often.

I like the Japanese scrubbing cloths, too, but they're not enough for my feet.

But I do like pedicures... :)

OK, I have an unfortunate amount of experience with this. My feet have been awful for probably 20 years now. I finally went to the podiatrist  last year because I was convinced that I had some kind of fungal infection, but no, I just have really, really, REALLY dry feet. PedEggs helped some and would take off a lot of the nasty dead skin and callouses, but then my feet would crack really badly and I'd be hobbling around on painful, bleeding feet until they finally healed. Then the callouses would start to come right back, and the crack points would be really prone to breaking open repeatedly... It was just a terrible, vicious, painful cycle.

What has finally worked, after all these years, is the microplane DesertBlossom linked to and the Flexitol heel balm that Katie linked to. I've tried a bunch of other urea-based foot lotions, and only Flexitol makes it better. I tried the O'Keefe's that other mentioned and it made my feet intolerably sticky and weird and after a few days, the callouses would almost be worse. It was weird, but a prime example of how different things work for different people! The urea in the lotions/creams is the active ingredient, and Flexitol actually has the lowest %, but it still works the best for me (maybe because it has a higher % of emollients along with the slightly lower % of urea? I don't know).

So I started by using the microplane on all the callouses and dry skin and removing most of it but leaving some dry skin behind--otherwise you risk exposing all that new baby skin and it will break and crack. Every morning, after I shower, I cover my feet with the Flexitol and then wear plastic flip flops around the house until it has some time to really absorb. Every 7-10 days or so, before a shower, I remove a bit more dead skin and calloused yuck (with the microplane on dry skin), shower, and proceed as usual. My feet never crack anymore, and they look totally normal. They're not baby soft, but I think that's just because I'm a barefoot kind of gal, so my feet are always taking a bit of a beating. 

Some people also start by coating their feet with a foot lotion before bed and then putting socks on and going to sleep. My feet were so awful (and I'm so sensory sensitive about them) that I couldn't even stomach the idea of putting socks on over that horrible dry skin, so tackling the callouses first is what worked for me. Also, I had to stop wearing shoes without socks--that was contributing to how bad my feet were in a huge way. I've ended up wearing Birks all winter long and just embracing the hippy-dippyness of it :lol:

Good luck! I totally sympathize with wanting to have pretty summer feet  :thumbup1:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

I'd definitely try a foot peel like some others recommended above. I've used this foot peel and had really good results, but I think they're all pretty much the same. Definitely soak your feet for 30+ minutes first, and don't plan to need to be bare foot for a week and a half. The reviews have some pictures of what to expect. Basically, you will lose sheets and sheets of skin off your feet for about a week.

I currently have this Diamancel foot buffer sitting in my Amazon cart. My mother swears it's far better than all the other ones she's tried. The difference is that you use it dry, and it's supposed to get more off.