Menu

ISO new tv series for my kids to watch!

tammyw

I'm hoping others can give some suggestions as my kids are in search of a new series to watch. They are 13 (girl) and 10 (boy). Here are series we've watched and loved:

- Full House (the OLD show, NOT the new one...we hate the new one!)

- Merlin

- Leave it to Beaver

- Little House on the Prairie

Any good suggestions for us?

It's not geared toward kids as much as Little House, but you might try When Calls the Heart on Netflix. It's about a young woman who leaves her life of privilege in a big city in Canada to teach in a mining community in the west. There is (of course) a budding romance with an attractive young mounty. We've only watched a few episodes, but the kids and I have both enjoyed it (5 year old girl and 11 year old boy).

• Like 1

It's not geared toward kids as much as Little House, but you might try When Calls the Heart on Netflix. It's about a young woman who leaves her life of privilege in a big city in Canada to teach in a mining community in the west. There is (of course) a budding romance with an attractive young mounty. We've only watched a few episodes, but the kids and I have both enjoyed it (5 year old girl and 11 year old boy).

Oh yes, my daughter actually loves that show (I watch it with her too!) My son isn't it but that's okay -- all shows don't have to be geared towards both of them!! Thank you :)

New episodes of Gortimer Gibbons drop on Amazon next week. Best live action tween show currently being made... if you have Prime.

Lots of other options... more old sitcoms - Dick Van Dyck is great. Sci fi like Doctor Who or Star Trek: the Next Generation is good. If they liked Merlin, they'd probably enjoy BBC's Robin Hood. My kids are obsessed with Jane the Virgin, though I'm thinking that's not one that everyone would be keen on introducing.

• Like 1

Due South

Beverly Hillbillies

Hogans Heroes

Brady Bunch

Gilligan's Island

A-Team

MacGyver

Monk

Early Edition

Those are all some of the shows my guys loved watching in earlier days.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those come to mind.

• Like 1

New episodes of Gortimer Gibbons drop on Amazon next week. Best live action tween show currently being made... if you have Prime.

Lots of other options... more old sitcoms - Dick Van Dyck is great. Sci fi like Doctor Who or Star Trek: the Next Generation is good. If they liked Merlin, they'd probably enjoy BBC's Robin Hood. My kids are obsessed with Jane the Virgin, though I'm thinking that's not one that everyone would be keen on introducing.

We do have Prime! I'll check out Gortimer Gibbons! Same with Dick Van Dyck. I wonder if they would like Doctor Who now. We tried a couple years ago and they found it too weird/creepy. I  never thought of Star Trek. I have Robin Hood on my list but have never watched.

And now I'm giggling about Jane the Virgin. I have never watched it, nor do I know what it's about. I would have thought that was totally an adult show from the name though!

Due South

Beverly Hillbillies

Hogans Heroes

Brady Bunch

Gilligan's Island

A-Team

MacGyver

Monk

Early Edition

Those are all some of the shows my guys loved watching in earlier days.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those come to mind.

Ooooh, some good suggestions! I might have to get some of these from the library, if I can, since I don't think they are on Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime streaming. Will check them out!

• Like 1

We do have Prime! I'll check out Gortimer Gibbons! Same with Dick Van Dyck. I wonder if they would like Doctor Who now. We tried a couple years ago and they found it too weird/creepy. I  never thought of Star Trek. I have Robin Hood on my list but have never watched.

And now I'm giggling about Jane the Virgin. I have never watched it, nor do I know what it's about. I would have thought that was totally an adult show from the name though!

It's a bit adult, though really not especially - certainly not the way one might expect based on the title - it's a campy, funny soap opera with mostly pretty sweet values - very similar to Ugly Betty. I'm not necessarily recommending it... just what my kids latched on to.

I remember watching The Wonder Years when I was younger. Was just looking it up and it's on Netflix, but Commonsensemedia has a review where someone mentions drug use and young adult. Just curious if anyone has watched recently and can give a review? I don't remember it like that, but I admit, I was pretty much allowed to watch anything I wanted.

Edited by tammyw
  • Like 1

I remember watching The Wonder Years when I was younger. Was just looking it up and it's on Netflix, but Commonsensemedia has a review where someone mentions drug use and young adult. Just curious if anyone has watched recently and can give a review? I don't remember it like that, but I admit, I was pretty much allowed to watch anything I wanted.

I don't think it would be a problem.  It did have some serious moments, but not in a gritty kind of way, you know? 

Some shows I or my kids liked that are for that age group:

M.A.S.H.

Quantum Leap

Happy Days

Heartland (I can't stand this but my dd likes it a lot)

For your daughter, I had two that might work that I liked at that age.  One was Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.  THat might not appeal to her yet though.  The other was Degrassi Jr High.  That is directed right at that age, but it is very "real" - it really confronts things head on.  I think, inthe original series, it was well done and actually a great way to talk about some issues, but it wouldn't be for everyone.  The series that preceded it, The Kids of Degrassi St, was also well done but is now a little dated.

If you like Monk, then you may like Psych.  Along the same lines.

Just to throw something else out there, my kids enjoyed Lab Rats (geared for ages 8 - 10 yo, so your ds may like it) on netflix.  I actually thought it was funny too.  Well, at least it was better than watching My Little Pony for the upteenth time.  ;) 

If true life shows are okay, Dogs with Jobs on Netflix is kind of cool, and Sea Rescues, on Hulu. And Rock the Park, on netflix. 

7th Heaven is good if you can get past the star being a bad guy in real life. same with the Cosby Show.

Edited by ktgrok

My dc just watched several episodes on the History channel of Forged in Fire - they love it!  Lots of History channel things, like IceRoad Truckers,  PawnStars, Storm Chasers (not sure that was on the History Channel), etc.....

I tried to watch it with my kids and it was a bust; mostly a bust with DH who is older than me and didn't have fond Wonder Years memories. Like most 80s shows, it's heavier on the bad language, sex, and innuendo than most family shows these days. I'd let it ride since it didn't hurt me, but DH is a little more conservative, and the kids didn't really take to it anyway.

OP- some shows we've liked:

Gortimer Gibbons- I agree that it's one of the best older kid oriented shows.

Just Add Magic- My girls, 8-12, LOVE this.

Elephant Princess (netflix)

Wolf Blood (netflix)

Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures

The Flash

Ruby Gloom (netflix)

Hercules and Xena

MasterChef Jr.

newer shows:

The Flash

Star Gate: SG-1 -- ask fans which of the 3 Star Gate spin-off series is the best; it's actually NOT the original series...

Warehouse 13

Dirty Jobs

Mythbusters

Bill Nye the Science Guy

Lab Rats

The Saddle Club
Jimmy Neutron

The Penguins of Madagascar

Dragons: Race to the Edge

My Little Pony -- there are a lot of "Brony" (boy pony fans) out there, so not just for girls

Dexter's Laboratory

Power Puff Girls

older shows:

Anne of Green Gables mini-series, and sequels

Road to Avonlea

ChristyThe Muppet Show

Rocky & Bullwinkle -- fun "puns", groaners, and self-reflexive humor -- don't forget the "cracked" fairytales and fables

Looney Toons -- some of those are absolute classic cartoons

Dick Van Dyke

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Wild Wild West

Twilight Zone

Outer Limits

The Adams Family

Get Smart

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Poirot

Murder She Wrote

MacGyver

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Quantum Leap

re: Doctor Who

We are big-time Doctor Who fans here -- BUT, we started with the original series! So, 1960s, 70s, 80s -- which means cheesy sets and sometimes strained story lines. DH and I culled the best of the episodes and showed those to DSs around ages 10-12, and then we all enjoyed watching the "reboot" new series (2005-present) -- but DSs were in their teens by that time. Nothing at ALL intense, scary, mature, or inappropriate in the original series. There are quite a few episodes in the "reboot" that I would feel uncomfortable showing a sensitive or quiet or somewhat sheltered child under the age of 13 -- the effects and the story lines are sometimes as intense as a feature film...

If you want to get into Doctor Who, you might like the spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures -- Sarah Jane Smith was a companion to the original-series 3rd (John Pertwee) and 4th (Tom Baker) Doctors.

Edited by Lori D.

Yes...watch out for content on that first show. In particular the rebellious older sister on The Wonder Years deals with a few subjects that you may not want to watch with young kids. Preview it. I loved this series watching it as  a young person -- it is exactly my era, like it or not.