Menu

If you prefer whole-milk Greek yogurt

Pegasus

I have previously made an extra stop at a small specialty grocery store to purchase plain Greek yogurt made with whole milk and no sweeteners.  Recently, however, I've been finding it at my local Walmart, in their store brand, "Great Value."  The ingredients include only cultured pasteurized Grade A milk.  No carrageenan or other additives or thickeners.  It is rich and creamy and much less expensive than what I was paying before.

Note that it is not organic so if you only buy organic dairy, this product won't work for you.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to finally see a whole-fat no-sugar product start finding its way into the wall of no-fat/low-fat high-sugar offerings!

• Like 11

Aldi offerings seem to vary by region and even by store in the same area.  We shop there weekly and I specifically look for it but my store doesn't carry it yet.

Yep and I can't rely on them always having anything.  So they may have that one week, but then I might not see it for awhile.  It's not too much trouble to go there first to see what they have because the store is fairly close, but it's irritating to not be able to count on them having pretty much anything. 

We have several dairies in our area that make it so all the groceries I know of sell local yogurts. I can't stomach the sweetened kind anymore, they mess with my blood sugar.

Eta We don't have Aldi or big chains, just local ones.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

We have several dairies in our area that make it so all the groceries I know of sell local yogurts. I can't stomach the sweetened kind anymore, they mess with my blood sugar.

Yeah I don't get why they have to put so much sugar in those things.  I like the Oikos (not the fat free stuff), but it has a lot of sugar so I don't eat it often. 

I find mixing in just a bit of sweetness is perfectly fine.  Or even just berries with no sugar is often fine.

• Like 1

Wow--I'm surprised you can find something healthy at Walmart. lol. Ok, I actually haven't looked at the larger tubs of yogurt there, just the individual serving size. And all they seem to carry is the diet or candy varieties. You know--the ones that have zero fat and/or non-sugar sweeteners and/or chocolate/candy bits. Bleah. I don't want those things in my yogurt. I don't mind real sugar in my yogurt, but it's hard to find that with a full-fat or even 2% yogurt. At Walmart, I mean. I can find it at Kroger or Publix. I don't eat yogurt regularly enough to get the tubs. 

I bought the low-fat plain yogurt from Walmart and am planning on making almond butter/honey walnut fruit yogurt parfaits with it. So I am happy to hear that you like their yogurt so much. :)

Edited by MeghansMom

It is pretty easy to make your own whole milk yogurt. With a gallon of milk less than $2, it is pretty cheap too.

Investment here for making it - thermometer (inserted into the lid of the gallon milk jug), two disposable large containers with lids (drilled holes in bottom for draining yogurt), and coffee filters (for lining the draining containers so the yogurt doesn't fall out, just the whey). We already had a large soup pot that we fill with water to boil that we set the milk jug in, another container to sit inside a cooler that we fill with hot water, the cooler itself. Takes about 12-16 hours to make - but most of that is just waiting. The initial heat-up time is probably 20 minutes, and then wait, wait, wait, and then 12 hours later, line the draining container with coffee filters, pour the milky yogurt into it, put it in a bowl in the frig to start draining.

Wow--I'm surprised you can find something healthy at Walmart. lol. Ok, I actually haven't looked at the larger tubs of yogurt there, just the individual serving size. And all they seem to carry is the diet or candy varieties. You know--the ones that have zero fat and/or non-sugar sweeteners and/or chocolate/candy bits. Bleah. I don't want those things in my yogurt. I don't mind real sugar in my yogurt, but it's hard to find that with a full-fat or even 2% yogurt. At Walmart, I mean. I can find it at Kroger or Publix. I don't eat yogurt regularly enough to get the tubs. 

Oh I don't know.  The Walmart here has all the same stuff the other stores have.  However, it's not really less expensive either.  I do go there sometimes because it happens to be the closest store other than Aldi, but there isn't anything special about the prices there.

It is pretty easy to make your own whole milk yogurt. With a gallon of milk less than $2, it is pretty cheap too.

Investment here for making it - thermometer (inserted into the lid of the gallon milk jug), two disposable large containers with lids (drilled holes in bottom for draining yogurt), and coffee filters (for lining the draining containers so the yogurt doesn't fall out, just the whey). We already had a large soup pot that we fill with water to boil that we set the milk jug in, another container to sit inside a cooler that we fill with hot water, the cooler itself. Takes about 12-16 hours to make - but most of that is just waiting. The initial heat-up time is probably 20 minutes, and then wait, wait, wait, and then 12 hours later, line the draining container with coffee filters, pour the milky yogurt into it, put it in a bowl in the frig to start draining.

Milk is far more than $2 a gallon here. 

At the moment it's a relatively good price, but it never goes that low.

I have tried making yogurt.  It was an absolute bust.  I suspect it would be better if I had a yogurt maker because I can't control the temperature in our house so well.  It's either too cold or too hot. 

Buy this. http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-GY50-Greek-Yogurt/dp/B0091XNL0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464616198&sr=8-1&keywords=greek+yogurt+strainer

Dump whole milk yogurt in and collect Greek yogurt the next day. Use the whey in other cooking.

Or buy a chinois, which is multi purpose and use that. Or simply use muslin with a regular strainer.

We make our own yogurt and in turn Greek yogurt. It's practically the easiest thing in the world.

The Walmarts here have a pretty good selection of what most people would consider healthy, including a small selection of organic grass fed meats.

• Like 1

Thanks, OP, I will check that out.  I don't shop in Walmart often, and I mostly make our yogurt, but I  might have a yogurt emergency sometime, not to mention needing some yogurt for a starter when I make it.

I make yogurt using this recipe (link to NY Times cooking) and then put some in a strainer over a bowl to make it more like Greek yogurt.  

• Like 1

Milk is far more than $2 a gallon here.

At the moment it's a relatively good price, but it never goes that low.

I have tried making yogurt. It was an absolute bust. I suspect it would be better if I had a yogurt maker because I can't control the temperature in our house so well. It's either too cold or too hot.

I have to make mine, because it is so difficult and expensive to find organic yogurt , but organic milk seems readily available all of the time. I use this yogurt maker http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-YM260-Yogurt-2-Quart/dp/B002KBFO6C/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2591476011&ie=UTF8&qid=1464639851&sr=8-1&keywords=Quart, and the same company's starter or store yogurt starter, as well as the strainer upthread. It almost always turns out. I would rather buy it, if I could , though.

• Like 1