Menu

Backpack recommendations

My youngest will be attending JMU, a large campus. He may be biking across campus to and from classes. I am looking for backpacks that are comfortable, sturdy and can accommodate up to a 17-inch laptop. He is 5'11 and slim. Any ideas?

ETA:. He actually needs a 15.6 inch laptop!

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too

For long term durability, you can't beat a Kelty backpack, IMO.  I've had mine for over 10 years and that thing has been abused.  They have seriously padded shoulder straps and good hardware.  They are meant for serious use.  You will spend $$ for them (mine was $100 ten years ago), but I think the comfort of good materials and not replacing them constantly is worth it.

ETA: My Kelty does accomodate my 17" laptop, and even better, it accomodates it in the "wet bag" section of the backpack, so that if I'm carrying a water bottle or something, it's protected.  Most Kelty's also come with a water bag and nozzle, but I find it's only worth using if I'm going hiking or someplace where I'm away from civilization for several hours, otherwise, cleaning the water bladder isn't worth the hassle.

Edited by TammyS

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/chacabuco-backpack-32-liters?p=47926-0

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/chacabuco-backpack-32-liters?p=47926-0

We're looking at one of these two patagonia backpacks for dd. Several of her friends have one or the other for (high)school, have used them for multiple years, and they like them. DDs hauled her friends' backpacks around and liked the balance/padding/straps of both styles. Both will accommodate up to a 17" laptop.

Edited by hopskipjump

I'm always hesitant about putting heavy books in with the laptop.  Will he have to also carry heavy books in this bag?  I might at least get a separate laptop sleeve to put the laptop in to cushion it, and then get a bigger backpack.  Maybe something with a strap around the waist.  Places like Dick's have good brands and you can try them out, stick your stuff in it and put it on your back.  My DS has a North Face one from there with a strap around the waist that is nice.

I have this backpack:

http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Ridgemont-Backpack-Black-14-Inch/dp/B00GBQ5F5C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

In fact, I have two of the exact same style.  I love it because it has a nice cushiony separate space in the back for a laptop, and then two more separate areas for books and other stuff.  However, if you had this backpack filled with a laptop and heavy books, it would be pretty heavy.  This backpack is pretty big.  But whenever I need to travel with my laptop and have other binders, books, or paperwork with me, this is the bag I use.

in some very geeky circles, Kankens rule 

they have one that takes at 17in laptop. The bags themselves are very sturdy but made of light material so they don't add much weight. 

http://www.fjallraven.com/kanken-laptop-17

amazon has them. They're also a smaller one that takes a 15 in   <--- this one has lots of reviews 

Edited by hornblower

LLBean has great backpacks. My ds has used his backpack for his first 2 years of college and it still looks new. He likes the separate compartments, so he can organize, easy and quick access, his laptop is in a sleeve in a compartment by itself usually,it is weatherproof, has side pockets for water bottles, place to carry lunch and is comfortable to carry all day. LLBean also guarantees their backpacks.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the shape of backpacking backpacks would fit all the books you mention, but a pack that has a sturdy waist belt puts the weight around your waist, where you hardly feel it, and leaves your shoulders with almost no weight. It might be worth going to a good camping store to check out packs.

We also have some LLBean school backpacks that just keep on going.

Edited by Alessandra

We have had many over the years, but the only one that lasted more than a year has been my dd's SwissGear. It holds her big old programming laptop, too. She has had it for two years and doesn't need to replace it yet. I'm getting middle dd one for college in the fall (she has gone through an LL Bean and a Sketchers backpack in the last year.)

We bought my oldest a backpack from Eddie Bauer about 7 years ago so that he could easily ride his bike to his dual-enrolled classes at our local college.  It has lasted through constant use.  Ds recently graduated college and his pack looks like new.  He is about 6" and weighs about 140 lbs.  This is very similar to the pack that ds has.  But, my son's pack has a padded waist strap.  They took that out with later versions.   Here is another pack that is similar that does have the padded waist strap. 

Both say they handle 15.4" laptops, but they really can handle larger ones.