Menu

Need inexpensive math for a "get it done" 3rd grader

mamakelly

My friend is homeschooling, but she also works about 20 hours a week. They need a math program that isn't super parent intensive. They are currently doing Singapore, but the mom hates how it seems to jump around so much. Any suggestions? Secular would be best, but isn't a requirement. 

CLE isn't secular but it is pretty darn independent and the religious references are pretty limited.  It is also inexpensive to try out.  If it doesn't work, they haven't invested in something extensive and pricey.  Each light unit is only $3.40.  There are ten per level.  Placement tests are free.  Just download and print (definitely do a placement test, though....)

https://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/4

• Like 3

I was thinking about suggesting Horizons. I did it with my older kids. I haven't used CLE. Does it have a tm?

There is one, but mostly it isn't even needed.  It does help with quickly checking answers.  The light units are written to the student.  The math reference chart and the CLE flash cards are a HUGE help, though.  Awesome flash card system.

How old is the child?

Math Mammoth is awesome.  I'm a fan-girl. :)  She can try out one of the dark blue topical books for a few bucks to see if the teaching style is a good fit for her child.

Developmental Math might work as well.  I've never used it, but it looks pretty independent.

Oh, and Learn Math Fast (which I think is written by a TWTM'er, yes?) is fairly independent for upper-elementary age kids.

I am doing Math Mammoth 5 with one child and CLE 5 with another.  Although CLE has a teacher's manual, I have rarely needed to use it other than for checking the work.   In both of these programs, there has been minimal teaching on my part.  The instructions on the child's work is enough for me to go over with them and teach the material.  I'm sure it won't be so easy when they get to higher level maths, but thanks to these programs, math has been a breeze.  The other difference is that Math Mammoth is more of a mastery program, whereas CLE has lots of review. 

• Like 1

I'll put a vote in for MEP.

Free, download and print out your booklets as you need them.

Been around for a long time and good reviews from long term users.

We don't use the teaching pages, which are more class geared, I just hand over the practice (exercise) pages. Dd works through, struggles with the tough ones and leaves them if she still can't work them out and we come back to these curly problems together.

They deliberately put these in. If you just ignored the curlies you would be fine, but they really get the grey matter going.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

• Like 1

I've used MM and CLE, and while both are fairly independent, CLE is easier for both student and teacher, imo. MM goes deeper, explains the why, and the layout isn't as clean as CLE. CLE is easier to check using the teachers manual. It is also spiral and really reviews the concepts well. I use MM for 3rd, but for a get it done math I would recommend CLE.

• Like 1

Here are the placement tests for CLE.  Agree that giving the placement test is the way to go.  This program has a bit different scope and sequence than others and may be a bit ahead in some areas.  If they test behind where your friend thinks they should be, tell her not to fret.  It is easy to accelerate CLE.  Just cross out some of the review problems in areas the child has mastered and compress two lessons into one.  Usually only one or two new concepts are introduced in each lesson.  Do the new concepts from both lessons but only selected review problems from each.  Skip the quizzes.  You can easily cut down the 3+ weeks of expected time to complete a Light Unit to 2 weeks.  Or even a week and a half, although I don't really recommend going at that pace unless the child is really a math whiz or it is mostly review material.

https://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

• Like 2

What really adds to CLE's awesomeness is the consumable workbook format. No copying problems!

I am a secular homeschooler and still use it. I just whip out my sharpie when needed (and there have been a handful of times) and we skip all the completely optional  "bible math" pages.