Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW43

Robin M

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, those look lovely! Thanks! Any particular books to recommend from them?

I enjoyed reading about them, how they publish three novellas a year w/in a theme. Neat idea. I may put one of their sets of books on my Christmas list. Shukriyya, one of their sets of novellas may appeal to you -- Female Voices: Inner Realities.

Re FV:IR -- Love this quote:  "Women who live inside their own heads and clash with outside reality."

:P I wouldn't know anything about any such women...

Thanks, Stacia. This company sounds compelling. The books you linked are just a little too real-sounding for this sensitive soul though. They look to be full of grit, poignancy, unadorned emotion and an awareness of the preciousness of an authentic life lived with heart and connection. I can cope with that in poetry but not fiction/non-fiction. Life serves up the conditions for that very well already what with these aging and tender bodies, the hearts walking around outside us called our children, the beauty of partners, friends, even strangers who voluntarily offer a smile on the street when passing for no other reason than the astonishment of a shared humanity. Add to that the various distresses of our global family and well, even 'Charlotte's Web' becomes too much. I believe the colloquialism is 'wuss' ;)

Forgive my musings, it was another night short on sleep as I write from the still-dark, pre-dawn kingdom of possibility.

Oh, those look lovely! Thanks! Any particular books to recommend from them?

I enjoyed reading about them, how they publish three novellas a year w/in a theme. Neat idea. I may put one of their sets of books on my Christmas list. Shukriyya, one of their sets of novellas may appeal to you -- Female Voices: Inner Realities.

I've read

Portrait of the Mother as a Young Woman

Tomorrow Pamplona

Maybe This Time

and they were all good.

Awww... now I'm fantasizing about a BAW Supper Club session....

You and me both. They never seem to have them when I am in London though :sad:

Thanks, Stacia. This company sounds compelling. The books you linked are just a little too real-sounding for this sensitive soul though. They look to be full of grit, poignancy, unadorned emotion and an awareness of the preciousness of an authentic life lived with heart and connection. I can cope with that in poetry but not fiction/non-fiction. Life serves up the conditions for that very well already what with these aging and tender bodies, the hearts walking around outside us called our children, the beauty of partners, friends, even strangers who voluntarily offer a smile on the street when passing for no other reason than the astonishment of a shared humanity. Add to that the various distresses of our global family and well, even 'Charlotte's Web' becomes too much. I believe the colloquialism is 'wuss' ;)

Forgive my musings, it was another night short on sleep as I write from the still-dark, pre-dawn kingdom of possibility.

I am glad you mused. I have never heard this expressed so well. I usually just say that real life is hard enough to handle without adding more reality. I am going to pass your lovely description around to my similarly minded family members. : )

Nan

I finished The Weaver Takes a Wife that Karen recommended and it was as sweet and charming as she said.

I also finished Heyer's The Reluctant Widow which Amy had asked about weeks ago. It was fun and exciting, although not as romantic and had a pretty unbelievable plot line as many Heyer books. I read a Joan Smith with a similar plot device, Delsie.

Also, today is the day on my blog where I host a link in for words that have been meaningful in your previous week's reading (http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/2014/10/wednesdays-with-words-such-twisted.html), any of you are welcome (encouraged) to share.

My brother has lent me The Rosie Effect to read over the weekend and I'm up to chapter 48 of HoAW. Yay. I'm only 10 chapters behind.  :001_unsure:

Almost caught up with HoAW, I am so lmpressed. Still back in the 30's here.

I am looking forward to your opinion of the Rosie Effect. You are my first friend to read it. Wondering if I am just in a negative mood or not. I finished it this afternoon so the person waiting behind me can have it. Gave it a 3* where Rosie Project received a 5*.....

Peirene Press is a good small indy publisher that publishes books in translation as well

Great to see you back! That Supper Club looks fabulous. Would love to go or start something similar. 

Awww... now I'm fantasizing about a BAW Supper Club session....

Wouldn't that be fun! 

:grouphug: I know I seem to be retreating into a very fluffy reading world lately. 

I finished The Weaver Takes a Wife that Karen recommended and it was as sweet and charming as she said.

I also finished Heyer's The Reluctant Widow which Amy had asked about weeks ago. It was fun and exciting, although not as romantic and had a pretty unbelievable plot line as many Heyer books. I read a Joan Smith with a similar plot device, Delsie.

Also, today is the day on my blog where I host a link in for words that have been meaningful in your previous week's reading (http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/2014/10/wednesdays-with-words-such-twisted.html), any of you are welcome (encouraged) to share.

Lovely blog, not sure if I told you before. Love the hymn study idea, your list has some great ones! Also congrats on finishing the St. Cyr books, you are officially one book further in the story than I am. I am saving the current last one as a treat for when we are in the States.

I am glad you mused. I have never heard this expressed so well. I usually just say that real life is hard enough to handle without adding more reality. I am going to pass your lovely description around to my similarly minded family members. : )

Nan

Thank you, Nan. The BaWers are very tolerant of my little musings, indulging me with the time and space to roam.

Love this! A single word can often take one beyond the here and now. When I was a girl I used to wonder what it was about the first page of a book that made me want to keep reading. This was before I knew about style and tone and all that fancy stuff. I decided that certain words kept me reading and the word 'journey' was one of them. It opened a door, it was a spacious word, a word full of possibility but with the comfort of parameters.

Great to see you back! That Supper Club looks fabulous. Would love to go or start something similar. 

:grouphug: I know I seem to be retreating into a very fluffy reading world lately. 

Yes, the Supper club idea sounds very fun. Though a breakfast club would suit my current circadian rhythms better ;) .

Thanks to my early awakening I had some time to delve further into 'The Ivy Tree'. I'm really undecided on this one at over half-way through. The plot feels totally implausible to me and yet it makes for an interesting story. The descriptions of the landscape are, as always, lovely, evocative. But I have to say that the sheerness of the storyline gives me less accessibility to the characters as they unfold. Our protagonist seems to be neither here nor there with her moral stance, flitting about as the need arises and yet between the lines she doesn't strike one as that way at all, or else I'm just so used to Mary Stewart's heroines being solid, reliable and upstanding. Nevertheless I'm curious to see how things play out.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware (no snark) that the 15+ age group bought action figures.  (Video games, sure...)

There are action figures, the posable plastic kind, and then there is the more upscale statuary of comic book characters and movie characters. Collectibles, really.  And it is wildly popular.  Sideshow Collectibles takes up a huge amount of expensive real estate on the convention floor room at Comic Con.  We may or may not have a Dr. Doom statue in our house....

An interesting fact about our voices and our brains, talking and singing originate in different portions of the brain. A friend recently had a stroke and her speaking ability is quite damaged but singing is still alright. Apparently with therapy they can restore her ability to talk thanks to having retained singing.

I highly recommend the Oliver Sachs book Musicophilia about music and the brain.  It is a series of essays having to do with all sorts of neurological disorders and the positive, and sometimes unexpected, effects music can have.  My trio plays once a month in an Alzheimer's unit and often the most zoned out patients will start smiling and singing along when they hear a tune they recognize.  

Finished Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle #1) last night. :001_wub: Will be starting #2, The Wise Man's Fear tonight. I've only read that one once before, so I don't remember it as well as the first one.

I have to admit never reading anything by Ursula Le Guin, except for her Catwings series. My daughter loves those.

Squeee!!!! One of my favorite series!

Big Patrick Rothfuss fans here.  I'm hoping to see him next week at a signing for Slow Regard of Silent Things, though it won't be the same without my college boy along!  Btw, do you follow his blog?  He announced a month or so ago that he did the audiobook reading for Slow Regard.

There is so much more conversation strands to think about and comment on, but not just now.  I'm remiss on hitting that like button to let y'all know I've at least stopped by.

Oh, and one last thing.  I had to stop 50 pages into my Alan Furst novel, Midnight in Europe, and read up on the Spanish Civil War.  My own ignorance is breathtaking sometimes.  Now to skim through those first 50 pages again so I understand who is on what side and move on.

re: Action figures for the 15+ age group...

There are action figures, the posable plastic kind, and then there is the more upscale statuary of comic book characters and movie characters. Collectibles, really.  And it is wildly popular.  Sideshow Collectibles takes up a huge amount of expensive real estate on the convention floor room at Comic Con.  We may or may not have a Dr. Doom statue in our house....

Holy canoli!  I sure didn't realize it was possible to spend $509 on a... um... upscale statuary of the Incredible Hulk, either.  I learn a lot on these threads...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Earlier today I finished Kristen Ashley's Three Wishes which was a fun read.  (It does have adult content.)  It's currently a 99 cent purchase if you have a Kindle.

"When Lily Jacobs was born, she inherited Fazire Ă¢â‚¬â€œ a genie. Her family had three wishes and theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d only ever used one so Fazire was stuck in the human world. This worked since heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d become a member of the family anyway.

Even with a genie, Lily's young life wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t perfect. To escape the kids making her miserable at school, Lily buried herself in romance novels. One day, when the teasing was just too much, she used one of her wishes. She told Fazire she wanted to find a man like in her books and she made the most complicated wish Fazire had ever heard. Her wished-for man had to be impossibly handsome, virile, fierce, rugged and ruthless (amongst a dozen other things).

He also had to think she was beautiful and he had to love her more than anything in the world.

Nathaniel McAllister wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t born to a life where there were such things as genies granting wishes. His life was filled with drugs, crime and neglect. He was running errands for a gangster before he was in his teens and, even though life and hard work led him to wealth and respectability, he always knew, deep down, he was dirty. When Nate met Lily he knew he was no good for her but as virile, fierce, rugged and ruthless as he was, Nate was no match for the pull of sweet, innocent Lily.

Unfortunately, LilyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wish included that she and her hero go through trials and tribulations to test their love. And Fazire wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t only a good genie, he loved Lily Ă¢â‚¬â€œ so he gave her exactly what she wanted."

I've read and enjoyed a number of books by this author; this was the first with a supernatural element.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks to my early awakening I had some time to delve further into 'The Ivy Tree'. I'm really undecided on this one at over half-way through. The plot feels totally implausible to me and yet it makes for an interesting story. The descriptions of the landscape are, as always, lovely, evocative. But I have to say that the sheerness of the storyline gives me less accessibility to the characters as they unfold. Our protagonist seems to be neither here nor there with her moral stance, flitting about as the need arises and yet between the lines she doesn't strike one as that way at all, or else I'm just so used to Mary Stewart's heroines being solid, reliable and upstanding. Nevertheless I'm curious to see how things play out.

You have summarized my feelings, particularly on our protagonist.  I feel as though I need one of those cartoon question mark bubbles above my head as I read this book.  Yet because the author is Mary Stewart I am hoping for some sort of amazing resolution to the moral questions being raised.

Oh, and one last thing.  I had to stop 50 pages into my Alan Furst novel, Midnight in Europe, and read up on the Spanish Civil War.  My own ignorance is breathtaking sometimes.  Now to skim through those first 50 pages again so I understand who is on what side and move on.

Time may not heal all wounds, but time at least rinses out the salt.  It took over fifty years for Picaso's Guernica to go home. 

On a strange side note, I don't remember explicitly studying the Spanish Civil War in school, but I learned about General Franco through stamp collecting.  Between my stamps and the old Funk and Wagnalls, I think I filled in some of the inevitable gaps of my education.

(Younger readers of this thread are probably wondering just what in the world does she mean by "Funk and Wagnalls"?!?)

In August I posted about Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway and described it as one of the most unique romances I've read.  I see it's currently free to Kindle readers.

"Come forth with an open mind, for an unconventional tale of love..

Dublin native Freda Wilson considers herself to be an acquired taste. She has a habit of making offensive jokes and speaking her mind too often. She doesn't have the best track record with first impressions, which is why she gets a surprise when her new neighbour Nicholas takes a shine to her.

Nicholas is darkly handsome, funny and magnetic, and Freda feels like her black and white existence is plunged into a rainbow of colour when she's around him. When he walks into a room he lights it up, with his quick wit and charisma. He is a travelling cabaret performer, but Freda doesn't know exactly what that entails until the curtains pull back on his opening night.

She is gob-smacked and entirely intrigued to see him take to the stage in drag. Later on, Nicholas asks her if she would like to become his show assistant. Excited by the idea, she jumps at the chance. Soon she finds herself immersed in a world of wigs, make-up and high heels, surrounded by pretty men and the temptation of falling for her incredibly beautiful employer.

In this story of passion and sexual discovery, Nicholas and Freda will contend with jealousy, emotional highs and lows, and the kind of love that only comes around once in a lifetime."

Regards,

Kareni

On a strange side note, I don't remember explicitly studying the Spanish Civil War in school, but I learned about General Franco through stamp collecting.  Between my stamps and the old Funk and Wagnalls, I think I filled in some of the inevitable gaps of my education.

(Younger readers of this thread are probably wondering just what in the world does she mean by "Funk and Wagnalls"?!?)

:lol: Yeah, it's good to separate the wheat from the chaff, every now and again...

(On the flip side, the other day when Annie Lennox (ahhhh, Annie Lennox) said on NPR that "twerking isn't feminism," well, that sparked a many-sided conversation with my eldest that revealed... inevitable gaps in both our educations...)

Big Patrick Rothfuss fans here.  I'm hoping to see him next week at a signing for Slow Regard of Silent Things, though it won't be the same without my college boy along!  Btw, do you follow his blog?  He announced a month or so ago that he did the audiobook reading for Slow Regard.

There is so much more conversation strands to think about and comment on, but not just now.  I'm remiss on hitting that like button to let y'all know I've at least stopped by.

I preordered a signed copy because I'm too far from his signings.  I can't wait for the audiobook, too!  I follow his blog and his reviews on Goodreads. Oh, and facebook. 

I read The Snow Child - 3 Stars. 

9780316175661.jpg

I started this a few years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember why I didn't finish it. I actually have it on hold at the library ready to pick up and try again - I'm not feeling much confidence after your review. :(

Lucky! I pre-ordered it, but he's not coming to my area. He was in Phx for the Comic Con (I think?) but I wasn't able to make it; I do follow his blog and facebook and I just liked him on Goodreads the other day.

Mommymilkies - I didn't even think of ordering a signed copy! I should have done that! I'm getting all read up on the series so I'll be ready for that when it arrives.

I highly recommend the Oliver Sachs book Musicophilia about music and the brain.  It is a series of essays having to do with all sorts of neurological disorders and the positive, and sometimes unexpected, effects music can have.  My trio plays once a month in an Alzheimer's unit and often the most zoned out patients will start smiling and singing along when they hear a tune they recognize.  

Intriguing.  A member of my recorder group was overcome by Alheimer's.  We continued to play with her.  She was one of our best players until just recently.  She could switch from bass to tenor to alto to soprano, as needed.  She didn't recognize any of us but was so happy to see us and to play with us.

Nan

Love the poetry of this.

This is such a great line!

You have summarized my feelings, particularly on our protagonist.  I feel as though I need one of those cartoon question mark bubbles above my head as I read this book.  Yet because the author is Mary Stewart I am hoping for some sort of amazing resolution to the moral questions being raised.

Well, I'm in good company then.

Intriguing.  A member of my recorder group was overcome by Alheimer's.  We continued to play with her.  She was one of our best players until just recently.  She could switch from bass to tenor to alto to soprano, as needed.  She didn't recognize any of us but was so happy to see us and to play with us.

Nan

Recorder player here, too. :seeya:

I read The Snow Child - 3 Stars. 

The actual Snow Child was a selfish cow.

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Negin. :lol:

I know what you mean though. The only thing that saved this book's charm for me is that it's based on Russian fairy tale.

As a rule, Russian stories are instead of "they lived happily ever after", it's "they all died gruesome deaths" or "they half-lived in depths of despair". ;)  So, if you look from that perspective, it's a pretty good ending.

I started this a few years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember why I didn't finish it. I actually have it on hold at the library ready to pick up and try again - I'm not feeling much confidence after your review.

You never know. You might end up liking it. It has very good reviews. I was fine with it, but again, didn't love it, if you know what I mean. You could always give it another go if you're so inclined :).

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Negin. :lol:

I know what you mean though. The only thing that saved this book's charm for me is that it's based on Russian fairy tale.

As a rule, Russian stories are instead of "they lived happily ever after", it's "they all died gruesome deaths" or "they half-lived in depths of despair". ;)  So, if you look from that perspective, it's a pretty good ending.

I'm laughing at your comment  :lol:.

But yes, Russian literature seems to love miserable endings. That's one reason why I tend to stay away from them. This one didn't have a tragic ending, just sort of left you hanging there without any full closure. Not everyone would agree with me, of course. Just my thoughts. 

I started this a few years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember why I didn't finish it. I actually have it on hold at the library ready to pick up and try again - I'm not feeling much confidence after your review. :(

Lucky! I pre-ordered it, but he's not coming to my area. He was in Phx for the Comic Con (I think?) but I wasn't able to make it; I do follow his blog and facebook and I just liked him on Goodreads the other day.

Mommymilkies - I didn't even think of ordering a signed copy! I should have done that! I'm getting all read up on the series so I'll be ready for that when it arrives.

For fans, you can get signed copies here:

http://signedpage.com/shop/the-slow-regard-of-silent-things-by-patrick-rothfuss/

http://signedpage.com/shop/the-dark-of-deep-below-by-patrick-rothfuss-and-nate-taylor/

I've read the books a few times, but last year I read them to myself, to my oldest kids, and on audiobook.  I get more "Oh!!!" moments with each reread. :)

You guys were awfully quiet last night. I love waking up in the morning and reading the previous nights conversation. It was a bit of a shock to be all caught up on a Thursday morning!

From reading all of these great comments about Patrick Rothuss and his Kingkiller series I think we should try them. I am planning to put them in the Amazon account that the kid's kindles work from....is that appropriate? I am pretty sure it is but thought I should make sure, since I appear to have lots of people to ask!

I did finish one of Kareni's recommendations late last night, Something About You by Julie James. Enjoyable with some really familiar locations for me. Definitely has adult content.

Somehow I did a double post....so currently reading Fourth Grave beneth my Feet by Darinda Jones. Interesting but not fabulous series about a PI that was born to be a grim reaper. One of my light Spooky reads.

Planning to sort my library hard copies today with an eye tords ultimate return dates. Getting tired of taking books back and returning them in person in order to check them back out. They are heavy to haul back and fourth!

I finished Coraline. My inner 10 yo was shivering with delight, my adult side was comparing some elements to the Phantom Tollbooth. Nothing like learning a little appreciation for the delights of the real world. I have started Henry James' Turn of the Screw.

I've got to say that The Snow Child was one of my all time favorites last year. It's hard to explain, but I was impressed with the way the author used  the elements in the story to convey the coldness and muffled silence of the snow. I didn't see the Snow Child as selfish at all, but as under the spell of the woman's intense need, in a sense trapped by love. But truly, snow is not human and can't be expected to have an understanding of what it means to be human. As beautiful as it is, you can't keep snow forever, too much warmth and it is gone.

I also am not overly fond of Russian stories, but the  ending was true to the popular versions of the tale, in a sense.

I did finish one of Kareni's recommendations late last night, Something About You by Julie James. Enjoyable with some really familiar locations for me. Definitely has adult content.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like the banter between her characters.

Regards,

Kareni

Good morning all.

Requiring resolution, I finished The Ivy Tree last night.  I don't know if I should say this but a significant hint was dropped in an early chapter, but without further hints of that magnitude, I was unsure what the characters' true motivations were. That hint kindled a certain hope--and I was not disappointed.  I saw two ways this story could go.  Yes, perhaps it was predictable, but Mary Stewart is such a lovely writer that there is comfort in the predictability.

Masterpiece Theater should dramatize this one for those sweeping Northumbrian landscapes.

Before falling asleep, I read a few pages of Ready to Burst.  I think I will be backtracking and rereading parts of this one.  This review suggests why.  Ready to Burst by Haitian author FrankĂƒÂ©tienne was originally published in 1968.  This new translation from the French is from Archipelago. 

Screen-Shot-2014-02-03-at-3.41.33-PM.png

Jane, The Ivy Tree sound good! I put it on hold at the library.

Have you read other Mary Stewart novels?  If not, there might be better ones for an introduction to the author.  I have only read The Moonspinners and This Rough Magic, so other BaWers might want to chime in.

I'm going to have to find my copy of The Ivy Tree ... I don't recall struggling with it. Fantastical, unrealistic plots are so much a part of Gothic romances. It has been a long, long time since I read it, though.

I also like Wildfire at Midnight and Madame Will You Talk ... There are a whole lot of Gothic romances I haven't read on the bibliography on her Wiki (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Stewart_(novelist) ) page. I also didn't know she was Lady Stewart. Cool.

From reading all of these great comments about Patrick Rothuss and his Kingkiller series I think we should try them. I am planning to put them in the Amazon account that the kid's kindles work from....is that appropriate? I am pretty sure it is but thought I should make sure, since I appear to have lots of people to ask!

I just tell my kids not to read them without me.  Really, there's a little cussing, some violence, and the second one has some sex stuff, but it would take them quite awhile to even find those bits.  

The first of the Kingkiller series, The Name of the Wind, is appropriate, but you should pre-read the second. There is a large section with a very, erm... randy fairy.  

The first of the Kingkiller series, The Name of the Wind, is appropriate, but you should pre-read the second. There is a large section with a very, erm... randy fairy.  

Definitely.  My kids knew about that scene from me explaining it to them and asked me to skip the graphic bits.  It really doesn't detract from the story.  Many fans found that part overdone, at best. 

I finished Coraline. My inner 10 yo was shivering with delight, my adult side was comparing some elements to the Phantom Tollbooth. Nothing like learning a little appreciation for the delights of the real world. I have started Henry James' Turn of the Screw.

I've got to say that The Snow Child was one of my all time favorites last year. It's hard to explain, but I was impressed with the way the author used  the elements in the story to convey the coldness and muffled silence of the snow. I didn't see the Snow Child as selfish at all, but as under the spell of the woman's intense need, in a sense trapped by love. But truly, snow is not human and can't be expected to have an understanding of what it means to be human. As beautiful as it is, you can't keep snow forever, too much warmth and it is gone.

I also am not overly fond of Russian stories, but the  ending was true to the popular versions of the tale, in a sense.

OUAT, I think I'm going to put Coraline on my tbr list. I've not read any Neil Gaiman and my inner 10 year old is alive and well. We hang out regularly :lol:

Good morning all.

Requiring resolution, I finished The Ivy Tree last night.  I don't know if I should say this but a significant hint was dropped in an early chapter, but without further hints of that magnitude, I was unsure what the characters' true motivations were. That hint kindled a certain hope--and I was not disappointed.  I saw two ways this story could go.  Yes, perhaps it was predictable, but Mary Stewart is such a lovely writer that there is comfort in the predictability.

Masterpiece Theater should dramatize this one for those sweeping Northumbrian landscapes.

Well, that's good to hear, Jane. Makes me more inspired as I go along with it.

I just tell my kids not to read them without me.  Really, there's a little cussing, some violence, and the second one has some sex stuff, but it would take them quite awhile to even find those bits.  

Thank you. mommymilkies. I looked at these for myself and was intrigued by what appears to be some decent writing but the genre is more suited to my ds and I was going to post a question as to appropriateness for children.

ETA Jenn, we crossposted so I'm just seeing your comment now. Thanks for the heads up on book two.

I'm going to have to find my copy of The Ivy Tree ... I don't recall struggling with it. Fantastical, unrealistic plots are so much a part of Gothic romances. It has been a long, long time since I read it, though.

I also like Wildfire at Midnight and Madame Will You Talk ... There are a whole lot of Gothic romances I haven't read on the bibliography on her Wiki (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Stewart_(novelist) ) page. I also didn't know she was Lady Stewart. Cool.

The only one on the list I've never heard of is Wind Off the Small Isles. Has anyone read that?

My introduction to Mary Stewart was Airs Above the Ground. It is still one of my favorites.

Have you read other Mary Stewart novels? If not, there might be better ones for an introduction to the author. I have only read The Moonspinners and This Rough Magic, so other BaWers might want to chime in.

Inna, The Moonspinners and This Rough Magic are possibly my favorites. I reread and enjoyed Airs Above the Ground recently also.

ETA I started dd with The Moonspinners for her Mary Stewart introduction. She has gone on to read several including The Ivy Tree (I think).

Jenn and Mommymilkies, I will go ahead and let the first one go into the shared account to see if there is any interest from either child. I really like being able to flash interesting book covers at them when they turn thier kindle fires on. ;) Thanks for the pre read advice concerning the second book.

Good Omens was my 52nd book read this year. In honor of completing at least one book per week, I'll post my 2014 list so far.

:party:

I just finished Sheri Cobb South's  historical romance The Weaver Takes a Wife.  It was an enjoyable read, and I don't believe anyone would find it offensive in any way.  I recommend it.

I finished While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell.  

Looking into putting both of these on my tbr pile, thanks!

Angel, hope your husband feels better.

Angel, I hope dh feels better soon and the rest of the family stays healthy!

Thanks for the well wishes!  He is feeling better, and we are all still healthy.  Now if only dd, the nanny, doesn't bring home the fever one of her little girls has, we will be good  ;)

But yes--Country of Broken Stone is an excellent YA book as is String in the Harp.  I don't usually enter the YA discussions because it seems that there are a host of newer books that I have not read (and so many of them are dystopian--not this Pollyanna's thing), but I will take this opportunity to mention another YA author whom we liked back in the day:  Nancy Farmer.  My son adored her Sea of Trolls trilogy, a fantasy set in Anglo-Saxon England and amongst the Scandinavian Viking ships.

Also looking into these!

I also finished reading Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know to my little boys Saturday night.  Let's just say it's a good thing they don't scare easily.  Disney those are not.  I think Blue Beard was the most disturbing to them (and me) since he kept his dead wives' bodies in his closet, but several of them were strange since they were original versions of fairy tales.  As my 8 year old said when we finished the last one (Beauty and the Beast) "At least no one died in that one!"

Aly and I have been reading through Grimm's Fairy Tales!  Definitely not your Disney version.  We are having fun comparing them to Disney and Once Upon a Time :)

Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome is an excellent book, full of great advice in a nice simple language, I'm benefiting so much from it already.

Yet another book to look into!  Last year I made diet changes which seemed to help my adrenal fatigue.  I've only been half-heartedly following the diet this year, add in the stresses of the year, and the extra sugar I consume during the fall season and my adrenals are feeling horrid.  I'm gearing up to get back on my diet this coming Sunday in hopes of getting myself feeling better.

I know I posted about this book, Death in Elysium, when I discovered it but I just read it and absolutely loved it!http://classicmystery.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/death-in-elysium-by-judith-cutler/ Have to admit that I totally agree with that review, the mystery was not great but everything else about the book was.

The descriptions of the inner workings of the village church and organizations were spot on. Same for the social commentary imo. Loved the main character.

Ladydusk, pretty sure you already have it on hold and am pretty sure you will enjoy it.

There are two things that I can think of at this very moment that get me quite disappointed when it applies to fiction, or, come to think of it, movies also:

1. Not connecting with any of the characters

2. Endings that have very little closure. For me, endings donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be glorious Hollywood-style-riding-off-into-the-sunset types (although that can be quite pleasant!), but I do need some form of closure.

At first, I really liked The Snow Child and thought that it had a great deal of potential. About halfway through, I found myself often checking to see how much was left. By the end, I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even care as to what happened, probably due to the fact that I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t connect with the main characters. Most of the time, Mabel irritated me. Jack was okay. Garrett was sweet and fine. The actual Snow Child was a selfish cow. Not giving away spoilers. The only person I really liked was Esther. Again, the ending did not have closure and I hate that.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m giving it 3 Stars, since I did enjoy it for the most part and the descriptions were delightful.

That's exactly how I felt when reading Divergent!  I thought Tris was selfish and annoying.

My older dd turns 20 today!  I can't believe I'm that old!  Wow!  The older I get (42) the more time FLIES!  We were going to take her and the little guy she nanny's out for lunch but she is spending her birthday taking care of the little guy's older sister who is home with quite a fever.  

I finished Michael Vey: Hunt for Jade Dragon this morning.  I had trouble shifting from the beautiful language of A Christmas Carol and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Rip Van Winkle back to teenage slang lol!  Therefore, it took me a few days to get into the book and its story.  Not to mention that it has been months since I read the first three books.  Two nights ago, I finally clicked with the book and it got interesting, and last night I didn't want to put it down and picked it back up after breakfast this morning.  It was good, and quick once I got connected, but I'm really having trouble reviewing it.  Was it just because of the previous books I've read or is it something else that makes me wonder if I should have liked it more?  I'm not sure.  I liked the kids in this book.  I like how the bond is forming between them.  I liked some of the added features and the growing of the powers.  I just can't figure out why I'm not "loving" it like the rest of my family.  Truly, it must be the timing.  It is still a great series, and I still highly recommend it!  It is quite the cliffhanger, though.  I'm guessing that by next year when the new book comes out, I will have to do some rereading to remember what is happening.  

That makes book #48!  Like I said earlier in the week, I'm caving to family pressure and am going to read The Hunger Games trilogy before the next movie comes out.  I said I wouldn't read these  :glare:   And I don't really like the first movie.  However, I did enjoy Catching Fire, so I guess we will see.  

I'm kind of excited.  I don't think I've made it to 52 books before.  I've been pretty close but not quite.  If I have time to read next week, I may reach 52 then!  I guess we'll see.

I know I posted about this book, Death in Elysium, when I discovered it but I just read it and absolutely loved it!http://classicmystery.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/death-in-elysium-by-judith-cutler/ Have to admit that I totally agree with that review, the mystery was not great but everything else about the book was.

The descriptions of the inner workings of the village church and organizations were spot on. Same for the social commentary imo. Loved the main character.

Ladydusk, pretty sure you already have it on hold and am pretty sure you will enjoy it.

I actually have it right now and am having a hard time getting past the first few pages. I'll work at it some more ...

My body is in a state of discombobulation over the upcoming time change because it thinks it has already happened.  (In the past, it used to change earlier so my circadian rhythms are still in sync with that)  I'm going to sleep an hour later as well as getting up an hour later.  But my cats have gone in the other direction and are getting up an hour earlier, wanting to eat an hour earlier.  Who can explain that?   

For your amusement:

French Embassy as opened a French book store in New York.

Electric Literature presents an infographic of A literary Atlas of Ireland. Quite neat.

Check out Brain pickings Virtual bookshelf of creativity.

Beth Fish Reads posts a review and is having a giveaway of Colm Toibin's newest book  Nora Webster.

I'm still trying to get into Left Hand of Darkness.  Haven't made it through the first chapter yet.  Keep getting distracted and waiting for it to grab and capture me, but not happening yet.  Guess I need to wait for when I have a huge chunk of time to read and see how far I get.   My brain's more in the creative writing process mode rather than reading mode right now.

I actually have it right now and am having a hard time getting past the first few pages. I'll work at it some more ...

I read the first chapter or two maybe two weeks ago and set it aside because several of my library books had holds put on them. I started where I left off today. I remember the first few pages being about what a whiz at IT the main character was and the courtship, try to get to the first church council meeting before you give up. I hope you will enjoy it after that point.

Admittedly part of my enjoyment was it was all so familar. A village newcomer here wanted our church bells to stop disturbing them.....in our village they ring every quarter of an hour. How could you not know about them when buying a house? Seriously, I asked first.....

Admittedly part of my enjoyment was it was all so familar. A village newcomer here wanted our church bells to stop disturbing them.....in our village they ring every quarter of an hour. How could you not know about them when buying a house? Seriously, I asked first.....

There have been multiple complaints from people who move into the new pricey condos in our city's downtown that the weekend music is too loud. In Austin! Music, too loud, downtown! And they want the City to do something about it. Where did they think they were moving to, Amarillo?

http://whereisaustintexas.com/tour/austin-texas-live-music-capital-of-the-world/

Peirene Press is a good small indy publisher that publishes books in translation as well

After TeacherZee's mention of this publisher of novellas, I just stumbled on a related article (which ends up mentioning Peirene Press): Reading all the Ă¢â‚¬ËœArt of the NovellaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ novellas in a year.

And, there's another interesting article on there related to some of our earlier discussions: A new prize for women in translation.

Jules Verne wrote the original zombie story (& it has vampires too)? :blink:

http://www.mhpbooks.com/books/the-castle-in-transylvania/

I had never heard of this book, but I'll definitely have to read it.

Whoa! I'll check that out for sure!

I'm almost done with The Rithmatist.  I really like it!  It's Sanderson's first real YA novel, but it's good.  I hope he expands into more related novels. I start Anna Dressed in Blood next.