Menu

So frustrated with urologists!!!!!!!

PeacefulChaos

So I have recurring kidney stones. Have had them for 11-12 years.

I was seeing a urologist at one university hospital near us, but kept feeling like I wasn't really getting seen. They did x rays and ultrasounds every visit, analyzed a stone, did a 24 hour urine collection, etc, but overall I saw the dr maybe 2 minutes every few months, he basically said 'there's nothing you can do about them, here's some painkillers, have a nice day' and that was it.

So I thought I would try to switch over to a different university hospital, for several reasons - I like it better, it's where I had all the kids, it's in a better location (no more convenient to me but easier to get to and in a bigger city so I can run other errands when I go, etc), and I just wasn't feeling super happy with the old Uro. Maybe he's right - maybe there IS nothing I can do - but I wanted to see what someone else had to say, kwim?

So I got in to see this new one and it was awful. They didn't get my records from the other hospital yet. They were sort of condescending to me - not just about the stones but in general... My blood pressure was a little high and they were like, 'excited to be in the big city, eh?' Are you freaking kidding me?! I could drive here in my sleep, I've been here so many times... The town I currently live in is small, but that doesn't mean I'm some sort of idiot. 😠 I waited in the room atleast an hour and a half to see the doctor.

I wasn't happy. But I chalked it up to stupid people, figured they'd know me better once they got my records, and moved on.

So last Saturday I had another stone.

I had a few pain meds - enough to stretch through a few days. A couple flomax. Enough zofran.

So I called on Monday to get an appt. they offer me October 8. I'm like, ok, but if I could get in sooner that would be great, because I'm running out of meds and blah blah blah.... They said they'd leave a note for a nurse to call me.

No call Monday. I called back every day and got the same answer. Yesterday I asked if they could at least call in my prescription for zofran. I said I've got a fever, almost no meds, etc. They didn't call back yesterday.

They finally called today. The first time I talked to her wasn't very productive - 'don't you think you should be going to the ER?' ... And I'm like. 'Well, that's why I was trying to get in to see a doctor this week, so I can avoid the ER if at all possible!' She says they'll call me back, but no one is in the office today - they might, however, be able to at least call in the zofran.

This afternoon she calls again and gives me an appt for next Friday. So that's a start. Then I ask about the zofran and she says 'there's a note here that the doctor was asked, but no indication of the reply.' Sigh. Okay... So while I'm on the phone, I double check on my records (they told me when I had my first appt that they would fax the other hospital for my records - I made the mistake of believing them)... And they don't have them.

I got off the phone, totally frustrated. Called the former hospital to get my records sent over, and get 'have your new doctor fax us.' I said, 'what other way is there? I need to make sure they are there by next Friday' and she says I have to fill out a release form (which I DON'T need for them to just fax them) and pay $.50 a sheet to have them mailed. I'm totally frustrated at this point - I'm not going to pay $.50 a page for my own records if I don't have to!! So I call the new office again and get bounced around between departments before SOMEONE finally says they can fax a request for the records.

Sigh.

So hopefully that will get done. I will have to call and check on them next week.

But the zofran never did get called in and filled. I'm so frustrated.

Why can't there just be a good office I can work with?!?! So annoyed right now.

Urologist offices suck. :/

I just want to say they should check your thyroid. My SIL had this issue and she actually had thyroid cancer. Do not panic about that. Other thyroid issues can cause a problem with stones. And thyroid cancer is extremly curable anyway. My SIL had hers removed. Sheneeded no other treatment and she hasn't had a stone since. It has been a number of years and she is in great health. I am sorry your doctor sucks so much!

I am sad that you are having this problem and that the Urologists you have seen have not helped you. Our Urologist is one of several doctors we trust completely and if he recommends something, we don't need a 2nd opinion. Good luck and I hope you find relief and soon!

Oh man, I'm sorry for you!!  I had one kidney stone, and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. 

If it continues for you, and if your insurance covers it, I wonder if you could go to a more specialized clinic like Mayo where they look at your whole body to try and figure out what's throwing that one thing off.  It sounds like the urologists you are seeing aren't doing that.

I hope you find help, soon!

I was supposed to run a mud/obstacle run with Link today and kept saying I was definitely still going to do it... As soon as I got up this morning I was in pain, but stuck with it and hoped it would subside before we got there.

Ended up getting there and it hurt to walk through the field we parked in (DH was driving) so I finally took DH's advice and decided not to do it. So disappointed. :/

Thought we would be able to run & pick up the boys' Halloween costumes since we were up there anyway, but believe it or not, Darth Vader and Stormtrooper costumes were all listed as 'Coming Soon'.

So we took a completely wasted road trip. I'm afraid I'm going to end up at the ER this weekend at this rate. I don't have a PCP - I don't have health insurance.

I'm so angry right now. I don't think it's reasonable for me to have to wait this long, pretty much forcing me to go to the ER unless by some miracle this fades this evening/tonight.

I was supposed to run a mud/obstacle run with Link today and kept saying I was definitely still going to do it... As soon as I got up this morning I was in pain, but stuck with it and hoped it would subside before we got there.

Ended up getting there and it hurt to walk through the field we parked in (DH was driving) so I finally took DH's advice and decided not to do it. So disappointed. :/

Thought we would be able to run & pick up the boys' Halloween costumes since we were up there anyway, but believe it or not, Darth Vader and Stormtrooper costumes were all listed as 'Coming Soon'.

So we took a completely wasted road trip. I'm afraid I'm going to end up at the ER this weekend at this rate. I don't have a PCP - I don't have health insurance.

I'm so angry right now. I don't think it's reasonable for me to have to wait this long, pretty much forcing me to go to the ER unless by some miracle this fades this evening/tonight.

Oh no.   :(  That's horrible.  

Do you have any meds at all, or are you totally out?  Pain meds?  I can't remember about those, but know you were low on flomax and zofran.  Would an Urgent Care type doc help with that?  (Long shot, I know, but we've just found a new Urgent Care close by with an amazing, compassionate doc - maybe if you took some of your older records, to show your history, someone might help?)

Sending you good thoughts, and hoping this subsides - or better yet passes - soon.

Oh - and since you are an established patient there - could you call the on call doc over the weekend?  That might get you to speak to an actual doc and get stuff called in.  Just brainstorming.

GRRRRR.  Doctors.  So frustrating.  They have all the power in the relationship and can so easily withhold information and meds and not even blink an eye.  I have a friend who is a nurse practitioner and I have to be very careful not to talk about doctors in front of her because I could so (SO) easily go off on a rant and ruin the friendship forever.  

Doctors.  Grrr.

I really hope things start to look up for you soon.  I think, if I were you, I'd be searching for a 3rd doctor.  Sounds like you've jumped out of the frying pan into the fire with this 2nd doctor.