Menu

2nd grade thread- what's up!

Has there been a second grade thread yet? I want to see all your plans, book lists, goals, schedules-all of it!

I am mostly likely outsourcing a great deal of our school year to another homeschool mom. She is fantastic about staying on track, but I want to put together a binder for her with all of our goals for the year. I'm pregnant, but we can't be sure when the babies will come or what the months after will be like, so I need to prepare!

Here you go! This is for my 2nd grader with mild cerebral palsy and probable learning challenges:

Sonlight Core A, SL LA 2 with AAS1 and FLL2, RightStart C

We will modify much of the writing as needed, and I am dropping handwriting because it is legible, and neither of us wants to deal with it beyond that. Possibly we will revisit later.

Along with that will be OT, PT, adaptive swimming lessons, and hippotherapy.

So excited about this year!  We're making major changes in response to how badly 1st grade went.  I've learned a lot about flexibility in the midst of order.  I've also learned more about my son's learning style and preferences.  For example, he loves to be read to, hence Sonlight.  He needs LA to be short and sweet.  He doesn't like lots of projects--he'd rather do those on his own time.  So....

Bible/history/geography/reading:  Sonlight Core A - Introduction to World Cultures 5x/week

LA: R&S Spelling 4x/week, Primary Language Lessons 3x/week

Math: Singapore 2A, 2B 5x/week

Science: Science in the Beginning 2x/week

Spanish: Song School Spanish 5x/week

Music: World's Greatest Composers 2x/week

Art: I Can Do All Things 1-2x/week

Excited for our year.  My desire is to get a little more formal, but we've always done interest led learning.  So while this is the plan, we rabbit hole a lot!

Right Start level B

Logic of English Essentials

Song school Latin

Geography -doing an online virtual group and with our local co-op

Science -still deciding, checking out Discovery Techbooks and Science Fusion

Art/Music -piano but mostly interest led

Life skills -Chess, Sewing, Cooking, and Typing

My plans are still slightly shifting, but I think I have the basics set down. I'm still trying to iron it out.

Language arts: Bravewriter (I'll pull from Jot It Down again this year, and likely go through The Wand with him, still thinking about adding the new Quiver of Arrows when it's released)

WWE1 will still be our copywork resource, unless I add Quiver. I may just drop WWE entirely.

ETA: I don't think I will do Quiver, as Julie from Bravewriter has mentioned that it would work best with a fluent reader. I'll have him work through The Wand instead, maybe do Quiver next year.

FLL2 for grammar

Continue with WRTR or drop it for Sequential Spelling, and dip into OPGTR when needed, unless I find The Wand to be sufficient. I thought about trying Recipe for Reading, but I'm not liking the teacher guide. I may just have him finish WRTR, start Seq Spell after that, and use OPGTR as an evaluation guide. 

A quick review through HWOT.

Lots of reading aloud, and reading practice. I want to stay away from workbooks this year.

Honestly I just want to drop everything and trust Bravewriter to cover it all.

Math: Miquon and SM Standards 2A/2B (Family Math and RS games)

Science: RSO Earth (and encouraging any interests). My ds self teaches himself quite a bit of science. He says he doesn't want to stop learning about animals and plants, so I may try to continue following any Life science rabbit trails.

History: Revisiting SOTW1 with activity book and bits of History Odyssey we didn't cover this past year. 

Fine arts: HFA, arts and crafts, composer study, DWC, nature study, Great Lessons

I think there was a 2nd grade thread on the K8 board earlier this spring that I posted in...but we've made a few line-up changes (and maybe still have a few things up in the air)...Here is what I am thinking now:

So, for 2nd grade DS, age 7:

Math: continuing Right Start D + Beast Academy 3B (and beyond...how ever far we get with BA and/or maybe the next RS level...math is DS's very strong subject)

Spelling/Reading: Currently leaning toward Reading Lessons through Lit (we've done two years of various LoE things...I think I want to try something just slightly different this year)

Grammar: FLL2? or maybe ELTL (possibly nothing...LOL...didn't start grammar until 3rd with DD and that has worked out fine so far!)

Writing: Bravewriter-style free writes/Jot-it-down sort of projects (not sure i want to buy jot-it-down, but that sort of thing if we don't buy it!)

Handwriting: Bible verse copywork

History: Mystery of History 1 (along with big sister) + book basket/lit to go along

Science: Science in the Ancient world (along with siblings) + science book basket reading

Latin(?): Maybe GSWL?  DS asked to start Latin...but I don't know if it is realistically going to happen this year since I am already trying to figure out how to work in more school time for DS5 now that he is K age. 

We are also in a 2x per month co-op for science/gym/art, DS does Tae Kwon Do, and we are joining an ICC (Institute for Cultural Communication) public speaking club this fall too.  Oh, and we are thinking of starting a DIY.org club.  So, plenty of extra curricular activities!

I guess I am a little more uncertain than i realized about all the English/Language Arts subjects.  We won't start until the last week of August or maybe September 1st, so i have some time to decide.  DH asked me to wait on any more curriculum purchases until August (it will be a better month for us financially)...so I haven't felt pressured to decide.    We already have the math, history and science books...and if I had to go with something I already have, I own LoE essentials, a million scholastic e-books, and a few other resources I used with DD...So I could go that route if needed!

We are halfway through the year here.

Maths: Singapore 2b

Science and history; finish sonlight core b. double helix magazines, scope and any other cool science related stuff that comes up.

Language arts: this is fairly informal here right now. I require some writing done every day and correct as necessary. Still struggling with writing. I'd like to look at a spelling and grammar programme next year as sonlight language arts isn't working for us. The grade 2 readers we have have gone from too hard to far to easy over the last few months so I need to find something more challenging or just move on to books already.

Art: come look with me series, usborne book of art, free creative time

Music: piano lessons

Italian: Dino lingo and some word books - this is mainly to fulfill gov requirements so we will just fit it in where it fits

For those using Miquon I feel like I'm missing something - I have the workbooks and I think the teachers guide or something but it's not all making sense. It feels like there should be something else to show how the worksheets are used.

Also anyone have any tips on kids still doing letter and number inversions in 2 grade

We already started, but here's what we're doing:

Math: CLE

Reading/Spelling: LOE Essentials

History: MOH1

Science: Science in the Beginning

Keeping it light this year. I'm pregnant too (but just one!), so this month has been really on and off, depending on how much energy I have. Next month should go better, hopefully.

Here's our 2nd grade lineup

History: SOTW 2 with AG

Math: MM 3, Beast Academy 3 and various supplements

LA: WWE1/2, FLL1/2, AAR3, AAS1/2

Song School Greek (per request, we did SSL last year and they begged for the Greek Beak)

Science: BFSU1

Art: Artistic Pursuits and Draw Squad

Our second grade year

Poetry memorization: from 100 Great Poems for Boys

Writing: continue WWE2, letter writing to friends and families

Handwriting: Cursive copy work of one short sentence per day

Math: Singapore 4A, continue Beast Academy

Art: Artistic Pursuits sporadically

History: Continue with SOTW vol. 1 since we only got half way through the Greeks.

Saxon Math 2

Spell to Write and Read

PreScripts Math Terms copywork

Lots of drawing, especially of maps

Song School Latin 1

Latin's Not So Tough 1

Hey Andrew 1

Veritas Press Bible done orally as a family

The Gospel for Children

Our 24 Family Ways

CC Foundations

Lots of great books!

Oh, it changes from week to week!   :001_rolleyes:

The current plan:

Explode the Code (finish 5 and start 6)

Math Mammoth 2B/3A

Reading fiction books from my huge book list & reading living history, geography, math, and science books

Focus on neater handwriting for the first couple of weeks, then practice writing daily

Layers of Learning for science and geography

Reading through A Little History of the World

Picture study of art by our Artist of the Month

Listening to music by our Musician of the Month

Art and Piano with Daddy

Dance class

P.E. Class

once-a-month science class at our homeschool charter

ETA:  Forgot to add that we're hoping to fit in learning to type and learning to write in cursive.  We'll see...  

As of today the plan is:

Rhythm of Handwriting Cursive

LOE Essentials

Copywork/Dictation/narration/memorization/free write

Singapore 3

Song School Latin

State studies (history and natural history of our state, by mom)

Who knows what I will have planned tomorrow :-/

We aren't changing a whole lot from last year. DD did Second grade last year, DS will do it this year.  :)

AAS level 2

WWE level 1 (he started last year, and we let it go. fine motor is an issue, and he wasn't ready to write much)

HWOT again

Jot it Down (poetry tea once every two weeks at least with Jot it down projects weekly)

The Sentence Family

Singapore 2A/B

Mr. Q's Earth Science

History- we will continue our American history study from 1800's as well as finishing SOTW Ancients. We are about 1/2 way through anicents.

Spanish- Elementary Spanish once a week and Salsa once a week.

Music- composer study (read a book or two about the composer, listen to some music or a story a few times)

Art- artist study. kids loved this last year.  We read a book or two and then do a project based on the artist.

Piano- I'm aiming for weekly lessons

Judo- 2 times a week plus competitions

We may try to add swimming, but I'm not sure when.

My second grader also will continue with PT, Speech, and OT this year.  He is a cub scout and has meetings twice a month or more.  Man, he's busy!

DS is only turning 7 in August, so he was young 1st grader.  We did a kindergarten/1st grade year last year.  This year will be 1st/2nd with a more rigorous schedule.  I'm really excited because even though I've been doing this for over a year, I feel like this is our first "real" homeschool year.  I think he's excited too.

Here's where we are:

Reading- finish OPGTR + lots of reading together

Math- Singapore 1B - we just started Singapore in March after struggling with MUS Alpha.  This is a MUCH better fit but we started at the beginning to be sure he has the basic concepts down.  We'll see how far he gets this year. 

Language Arts- Finish FLL1, Start FLL 2

Writing - Finish WWE 1 

Science - Life science WTM style - I'm trying this out since a lot of his science is self- directed.  I'll let him choose what to study within the general topic we're covering.  (Animals, Humans, Plants)

History SOTW 2 with Medieval History Portfolio

We're holding off on Latin unless he really picks up momentum in the middle of the year.  Otherwise, we'll start in 3rd grade.

This thread has gotten me excited!

DS is only turning 7 in August, so he was young 1st grader.  We did a kindergarten/1st grade year last year.  This year will be 1st/2nd with a more rigorous schedule.  I'm really excited because even though I've been doing this for over a year, I feel like this is our first "real" homeschool year.  I think he's excited too.

Here's where we are:

Reading- finish OPGTR + lots of reading together

Math- Singapore 1B - we just started Singapore in March after struggling with MUS Alpha.  This is a MUCH better fit but we started at the beginning to be sure he has the basic concepts down.  We'll see how far he gets this year. 

Language Arts- Finish FLL1, Start FLL 2

Writing - Finish WWE 1 

Science - Life science WTM style - I'm trying this out since a lot of his science is self- directed.  I'll let him choose what to study within the general topic we're covering.  (Animals, Humans, Plants)

History SOTW 2 with Medieval History Portfolio

We're holding off on Latin unless he really picks up momentum in the middle of the year.  Otherwise, we'll start in 3rd grade.

This thread has gotten me excited!

About the bolded. My ds just turned 7 this July. I've noticed that he hasn't progressed in his 1st grade year like my oldest did. Well, as my lovely DH pointed out to me,my oldest is a winter b-day and was an older 6 year old/young 7 year old in 1st grade. He had more time before I started introducing certain things. I've often thought about giving my two younger (dd is July bday as well) an "extra year." 

How does that work in your home?

This year I have organized our work time into "Priority Blocks."  Some time will be spent on Level 1 priorities; some on Level 2; and Level 3 is mostly independent work, but some days are that way.

Level 1:

Piano
Math: Saxon 3, Math facts, Daily Math

Phonics: Saxon 2

Writing: finish IEW's PAL Writing (section 3); lots of creative writing exercises
Chinese: through the local Chinese school, so we can't fall behind.  Petra Lingua Chinese as a supplement.

Level 2:

History: History Odyssey 2 (Middle Ages)

Science: Science Odyssey 2 (Earth and Space)

10 Terrific Weeks: Finish Human Body; begin Space

Geography: finish Top Secret Adventures

Computers: Windows 8 for Dummies, Microsoft Office for Dummies, and an animation program

Spanish: Finish FlipFlop Spanish 1 books.  Start level 2.  Petra Lingua Spanish.
Sequential Spelling (possibly)

Level 3:

Explode the Code: Finish the series.

Spectrum Test Practice 2

Wordly Wise 2

DinoLingo Russian, Petra Lingua Russian.
Lit: Read and discuss many, many Caldecott books.
Song School Latin

Disclaimer #1: I am not worried about finishing any specific curriculum in a given year.  We can continue some things at a later time.  Level 1 subjects are the most important, of course.

Disclaimer #2: We do not do every subject every day.  For example, I plan to do history in the fall, and do science in the spring.  Or vice versa.  If ETC is finished, we will double down on Wordly Wise.

Maths: LoF and Kumon Word Proble books for extra practice / application.  Kahn Academy. Other bits and pieces that grab his interest

Science: continue assorted Ellen McHenry, lots of reading on interest topics. 

Spelling: AAS then probably building english skills if it looks ok once I finally get my hands on it. 

Foreign Language: duolingo, song school Latin /  Minimus

Writing: Writer's Apprentice, Kumon Writing

Reading / Grammar / Vocab: Mostly project based now - interest led

Handwriting: getty dubay.  He's DYING to be allowed a fountain pen. 

Coursera as suits - music theory at the moment. 

Unit Studies as they happen - term theme this term is Dogs, looking at the Commonwealth Games, other themes as the come up. 

3Rs: LLATL--Red book, MUS Beta

History: MOH 2, readers and read alouds for medieval times

Language: Latin--I use Prima Latina minus the writing for this age.

Charlotte Mason type studies for nature, art, poetry, etc.

Bible/Character: Catechism and Bible Memory work, hymn study, Bible studies (parables of Jesus, books of Acts & Romans, character studies), Laying Down the Rails for Children

Handicrafts: Drawing With Children, cooking, scrapbooking

Extras: piano, softball, homeschool co-op

I love reading through this, it gives me lots of confidence about what we are doing!

We have only been homeschooling a few months, and my little guy is coming out of an awful year of public school 1st grade and just turned 7 a few days ago, so we are starting slow in some areas with some very eclectic scheduling, but are going pretty heavy in history and science.

History: SOTW vol 1 (with some vol 2 thrown in because he loves Vikings and knights and castles).

Science: RSO chemistry (originally purchased for his 4th grade sister but he is far more interested than she is in it and he loves science experiments) and piggy backing on Biology with big sis.

Literature: Memoria Press book lists for 1st and 2nd grade, MP enrichment and eventually MP 2nd grade literature.

Copy work: Mother Goose and fun poetry and sayings with a focus on penmanship and spelling

Math has been a struggle, I'm still figuring out where to place him (he is really good at math but hates worksheets) so we are playing math games and learning times tables and have Miquon as a backup.

We will probably start Prima Latina later in the fall, which can cover grammar, too.

I'm having to sneak some of the down and dirty leaning in (math, spelling, grammar) but we will also be doing lots of cozy reading of great literature, pulling from a variety of book lists.