Menu

Help me plan our vacation to.......Nashville, TN! Points of interest, hotels, etc.

sheryl

DD, 14, has wanted to go to Nashville for a long time.  She enjoys listening to mostly Christian music, but will listen to secular songs with "safe" lyrics (Disney, Taylor Swift maybe).   But, she does prefer Christian music/musicians.

Last May, for DD's 14th birthday/vacation we took her to Atlanta.  Many on this board helped by offering ideas for points of interest, tours, hotels, etc.  I took many suggestions and by the time we left, the schedule was set and all fell into place.

DD turns 15 in May and I'm planning now her birthday gift/family vacation by going to Nashville, TN.

PLEASE submit your best ideas for:

~ attractions

~ points of interest

~ tours

~hotels

~restaurants

~etc.

Hotel prices are expensive in Nashville!  Will need to keep it around $120 or so per night max.  It would be great if that included complimentary hot breakfast!   Perhaps, to keep cost down, we'll try to visit the city during non-weekend days as Fri and Sat nights are generally pricier. 

I've done a little research and this is what I have so far:

~  Grand Ole Oprey  (concert at Ryman Aud)

~  The Hermitage
~  Ft. Nashborough ?

~  Ft. Negley ?
~  Travellers Rest  ?
~  Natchez Trace Pkwy Bridge
~  Cheekwood ?
~  Belle Meade ?
~  Showboat ?   I can't find my info. from the other day.

~   Tour of musician's homes: Gray Line ?  Is that right.  Not that we would expect to "see" any of the artists, but this tour and going to a concert would be the "special" highlights for her on this trip.

We will only spend "probably" 2 days in Nashville as we'll be headed back up to Mammoth Cave to take another tour.  We all really enjoyed this 2 years ago.  

For the sake of our short stay and not over-extending our budget on tickets, we will not be able to go to all of the above perhaps.  So,

what are your top 5?

Also, please send hotel info.  Thanks.

We went last summer and got a kind of city pass thing.  It included the Ryman, Grand Ole Opry, a horse plantation(maybe it was Belle Meade), Country Music Hall of Fame, Parthenon and maybe something else.  It was great.  We stayed at my folks' time share so no hope there.  If your budget stretched that far, I'd stay at the Gaylord hotel.  Soooo pretty!

I strongly recommend a day trip to Franklin. It's nearby, and there are lots of inexpensive things to do (battlefields, history). The McLemore house is an African American history site (the hours were irregular when we went, so try to call ahead). Margy (not sure I'm spelling that right) gives wonderful "Franklin on Foot" tours. That was our favorite part of our Nashville vacation. There are tons of shops and restaurants in Franklin, and you can walk most of it.

We also ate a really good steak house on Old Hickory Pike, I think. Locally owned, not a chain.

Edit..."at" a really good steak house, lol!

We went last summer and got a kind of city pass thing. It included the Ryman, Grand Ole Opry, a horse plantation(maybe it was Belle Meade), Country Music Hall of Fame, Parthenon and maybe something else. It was great. We stayed at my folks' time share so no hope there. If your budget stretched that far, I'd stay at the Gaylord hotel. Soooo pretty!

These are good bets - and within the same vicinity. The Nachez Trace bridge and The Hermitage are nice but a bit of a drive out.

If I had just a couple days, I'd do the Ryman/museum, Country Music Hall of Fame, walk along the river front/country music tourist area (or take a carriage ride if budget permits), and go to the Parthenon. I am not familiar with particular bus tours of "the stars", but I'm sure your dd would get a kick out of that. Shoot, I'd like to go on one myself :). These would make for a very full 2 days.

Demo's is a nice, family and budget friendly restaurant for lunch or dinner (steaks, American food) that is near the Ryman.

These are good bets - and within the same vicinity. The Nachez Trace bridge and The Hermitage are nice but a bit of a drive out.

The Natchez Trace is a bit of a drive, but you could catch The Hermitage on your way to Mammoth Cave. It's only about about five minutes from Lebanon Road which you can take directly out of downtown Nashville ( total travel time about twenty to twenty-five minutes) and then about fifteen to twenty minutes to I-65 N.

Agreeing with others that Franklin is nice and so is the Parthenon. If you were talking about the General Jackson Showboat, I'd skip it. We personally think it's a lot of money for what you get. Walking through the Opryland Hotel is nice, and you can park at the mall and walk over. If not, hotel parking is about $18.

I'll focus on:

Ryman

Grand Ole Opry
Belle Meade - if this is a horse plantation that would be great as dd takes horseback riding lessons!
Parthenon

Franklin
Bus Tour of famous musicians

Riverfront

Hermitage on way to Mammoth Cave

How far away is Natchez Bridge?  Also, what is difference b/t Ryman and Grand Ole Opry?  :) 

Opry Mills mall has a cool restaurant that has a HuGE tank in the middle where divers get in to feed the sharks. It is called the Aquarium link here http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/AquariumNashville/. We had dessert there which made it more affordable. Dinner was deli copious too though. They also have a sting ray place where you can feed the sting rays. My kids really liked that. Those are a little different idea but they were a hit with my kids.

DD, 14, has wanted to go to Nashville for a long time. She enjoys listening to mostly Christian music,

Please, oh, please take her to Rocketown! I've always wanted to go there/take my son there! If there isn't an event shed like to go to, at least go hang out in the coffee bar for me!

Rocketown.com

Opry Mills mall has a cool restaurant that has a HuGE tank in the middle where divers get in to feed the sharks. It is called the Aquarium link here http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/AquariumNashville/. We had dessert there which made it more affordable. Dinner was deli copious too though. They also have a sting ray place where you can feed the sting rays. My kids really liked that. Those are a little different idea but they were a hit with my kids.

She would like that and I think dh and I would too, thanks for suggesting! 

Please, oh, please take her to Rocketown! I've always wanted to go there/take my son there! If there isn't an event shed like to go to, at least go hang out in the coffee bar for me!

Rocketown.com

I actually had Rocketown on my original list.  I'll add it back and then we all can narrow down.  We will have only 2 full days there, but I "do" like my coffee too.  If we go, I'll try to remember to let you know and enjoy a sit for ya!  :)    Thanks! 

When we go to Nashville for cheer competition, the coach books us at the Drury Inn near the airport-it includes a nice breakfast and a 5:30 kickback which works quite well as dinner as long as you don't mind things like pasta bars, potato bars. Hot dogs and hamburgers, and so on. It has a nice indoor-outdoor pool, and a regular room is usually around $80-$90 night. A suite is around $120, and is a true 2 room suite. For a group of 4-17 yr old girls, it's great. It's not in the tourist zone, so it's less expensive, but it's a reasonable drive from the attractions.

Check days that things are open. It required us going up a day early to finally catch the Parthenon open for my mythology nut.

You can park in the back of the Opry Mills lot to visit the Opryland hotel. It does end up being a lot of walking, but it's a lot of walking even if you pay for parking, because the place is huge.

When we go to Nashville for cheer competition, the coach books us at the Drury Inn near the airport-it includes a nice breakfast and a 5:30 kickback which works quite well as dinner as long as you don't mind things like pasta bars, potato bars. Hot dogs and hamburgers, and so on. It has a nice indoor-outdoor pool, and a regular room is usually around $80-$90 night. A suite is around $120, and is a true 2 room suite. For a group of 4-17 yr old girls, it's great. It's not in the tourist zone, so it's less expensive, but it's a reasonable drive from the attractions.

Check days that things are open. It required us going up a day early to finally catch the Parthenon open for my mythology nut.

You can park in the back of the Opry Mills lot to visit the Opryland hotel. It does end up being a lot of walking, but it's a lot of walking even if you pay for parking, because the place is huge.

Thanks for that.  Yes, I thought of this yesterday - to work a schedule from when things are open and map it out logistically from there.  We'll need to narrow the list.