Menu

Pearson Homeschool

Finally! A public school textbook publisher understands that the homeschool community wants to use their products!!

My Math Lab and other great materials are available to us at very reasonable prices!!

pearsonhomeschool.com

:D

I was underwhelmed by what seemed to be available on their homeschool site last time I looked. What is in My Math Lab that isn't available for free at sites like Khan Academy or Alcumus?

I know they make it rather tortuous to get access to instructor material for physics. It does look like they are making biology and earth science relatively easy. I wonder if the teacher editions include solutions.

If Pearson ever figures out how to make ordering their material less painful for homeschoolers, they could easily sweep the market.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Finally! A public school textbook publisher understands that the homeschool community wants to use their products!!

I have not seen any public school textbooks I would want to use in my home school, but the offerings on the page are really underwhelming. (Seriously: algebra 2 and geometry as 12th grade textbooks???)

Edited by regentrude

I was underwhelmed by what seemed to be available on their homeschool site last time I looked. What is in My Math Lab that isn't available for free at sites like Khan Academy or Alcumus?

Someone posted the link to interact math at one point...I'll see if I can find it when I'm at my computer. It's a free version of MML problems.

I teach with MML and have for about 8 years when it was CourseCompass. I haven't looked at Alcumnus yet, but MML Help Me Solve This walks students through a problem step by step. I haven't seen that at Khan.

I have seen significant improvement for students who use MML, and I really like it.

I was underwhelmed by what seemed to be available on their homeschool site last time I looked. ...

I know they make it rather tortuous to get access to instructor material for physics. It does look like they are making biology and earth science relatively easy. I wonder if the teacher editions include solutions.

If Pearson ever figures out how to make ordering their material less painful for homeschoolers, they could easily sweep the market.

I thought their offerings were pitiful. They offer the old edition of M/L Biology and none of the great online resources that made it worth using. Blah!

I encourage you to send them an e-mail stating the above with specific details. I ordered the Foerster Algebra I student text, teacher's text, and solutions manual last year. I sent them a lengthy diatribe (LOL!) on why it was so much more difficult to order from them than Saxon Homeschool, for example. I do think they are making baby steps towards the homeschooling community, but have little idea about what homeschoolers really want.

I have found ordering from them to be very easy. There is a form that they mail you to sign, stating you are a homeschooler, blah, blah, blah. I signed it, scanned it & emailed it in & was able to order something the next day. I've kept my account number & have placed two more orders w/no issues at all. As long as you're in their system as a homeschooler, you can order anything that you want. I've also had good customer service when I've called to ask a question about the various support materials they offer.

For what I've ordered, there has been a teacher CD that contained the teacher edition, test bank, test generator, labs, additional work & study sheets, etc. It is less expensive than ordering the materials separately & the test generator is a really good tool.

I had a lot more interim steps. I had to fill out several different homeschool forms and it took about three different calls before the sent me the required form. All of the customer service but one were very nice, but they seemed limited in what they could control.

Just curious, Sebastian: now that you have the instructor materials for physics, do you find them helpful at all? (I have them and don't use any of them, but my situation is different, of course.)

I find the workbook solutions especially helpful. I haven't set up mastering physics yet.

I like physics but it's been 20+ years since I took it in college. So I wasn't willing to work through it with a solution manual.

Just as an example the Knight book doesn't cover all of significant figures, particularly what to do with zeros. The solutions reminded me of that so I could go find it elsewhere.

If Pearson wanted to market to homeschoolers they could put together a book of syllabi for using the products. I'd love a book with 3-4 different pathways using their Giancoli book for example.

I like them. Being able to get their products has made the transition to homeschooling easier for my daughter, who had to pulled out of private school because of chronic fatigue syndrome. I am using their Alg 2 right now, and it has gone well because dd has been using their math products for a few years and is used to the way the material is presented. I'm also using their Chemistry to supplement Apologia, since she's going into a STEM career. Our local college won't take just Christian texts.

Do you have ability to order with a credit card on Oasis? I went through all the set up and verifying I was a homeschooler and still only have purchase order buying enabled.

Haven't gotten around to another bout with customer service to fix this.

But I would agree that they have much more on the regular site.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I don't know how your account got to be the unlucky impossible one! It really isn't like that for everyone.

Yes. I order with a CC. It only took one email requesting educator access. I got a pdf the next day which I printed, signed, scanned and emailed back. I had my Oasis account setup in about 2 days. They also give me access to any of the book previews (both high school and college) that I request and I had absolutely no trouble with my order.

When they added the iPad version of the text to my account (which they sent email saying I had as an automatic upgrade), I had to email them back to get the account setup right so I could access it. Again, it took about 24 hours. Then after they did their annual summer clean-out and upgrades I lost access this fall. One email again had my account restored.

I agree Pearson has a lot of great materials. Their homeschool site is just a tiny sample of that though and some of what they are offering is outdated. I just don't know why they didn't go ahead and give full access to all their materials if they were going to make a homeschool site. :confused:

My advice is to ignore the homeschool site, get an Oasis account and get anything you want!

I don't know how your account got to be the unlucky impossible one! It really isn't like that for everyone.

Yes. I order with a CC. It only took one email requesting educator access. I got a pdf the next day which I printed, signed, scanned and emailed back. I had my Oasis account setup in about 2 days. They also give me access to any of the book previews (both high school and college) that I request and I had absolutely no trouble with my order.

When they added the iPad version of the text to my account (which they sent email saying I had as an automatic upgrade), I had to email them back to get the account setup right so I could access it. Again, it took about 24 hours. Then after they did their annual summer clean-out and upgrades I lost access this fall. One email again had my account restored.

I agree Pearson has a lot of great materials. Their homeschool site is just a tiny sample of that though and some of what they are offering is outdated. I just don't know why they didn't go ahead and give full access to all their materials if they were going to make a homeschool site. :confused:

My advice is to ignore the homeschool site, get an Oasis account and get anything you want!

I think what threw them is that my first order was for College Physics AP edition. So I was mixing three or four different departments (Oasis, the folks who permit homeschool access, the K12 site and the higher ed site).

I do think that they have a lot of good materials. I really think they should put together some supplements to guide homeschoolers in using them.

And all but one CS rep was very nice and tried to be helpful.

Add in the extra complication of ordering from Canada where Oasis isn't a factor and they don't stock Foerster's books or solutions manuals. Grrrrr. The only time I got a live person was when the US rep. transferred me and that got me nowhere despite the persons promises.

I ended up getting Alg 1 from Amazon and the solutions manual from Abe Books. I'll never bother with Pearson again.