Menu

PLEASE recommend books! Fiction or nonfiction-clean ones-and I offer some too

AGH-here it is summertime and nothing to read! Christian books would be great, but anything clean will do. Gloomy topics really tend to spiral me into depression, so I try to avoid them.

Lately I have read and enjoyed and highly recommend Little Princes (nonfiction-guy goes to Nepal and helps in an orphanage), Kisses for Katie (nonfiction-18 yr old girl goes to Uganda and adopts 14 kids), BOTH of those were very inspiring-first one is secular, second is Christian, Christy by Catherine Marshall (reading it again), just read a couple Francine Rivers books again (my favorites-all of her books are excellent). Oh, and I also read and enjoyed The Chosen, and a GREAT one was Peace Like a River. (neither are Christian but they are very clean.) I have Mama's Bank Account here but it is short, and then I'm OUT of books-HELP please!

Oooh! I have one!

Moonraker's Bride by Madeleine Brent. Yeah, I know the title sounds weird and at first I didn't think I really wanted to read it BUT I read the first few pages and was hooked.

It's clean, has a little romance, a little suspense/mystery, and I really enjoyed it.

Here are a few more I've enjoyed: Mrs.Mike , Major Pettigrew's Last Stand ,A Year in Provence ,Once Upon a Town:The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen

Edited by Mothersweets

Have you read the Mitford series by Jan Karon?

What about "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith? Those books will make you SMILE.

Do you like murder cozies? Susan Whittig Albert has written a series based upon Beatrix Potter. There ARE talking animals in the books...but the stories are *warm* even though dealing with murder.

http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Hill-Cottage-Tales-Beatrix/dp/0425201015/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341283786&sr=1-2&keywords=beatrix+potter+mysteries

This is the first.

You're never to old to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis, or the Wrinkle in Time Quintet by Madeleine L'Engle! :D

I agree with PeacefulChaos; Frank Peretti is definitely a favorite.

Have you read the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers? (I know you mentioned you've read several of her books, just didn't know which ones!) That series is fantastic!

I haven't read this book yet, but it has fabulous reviews on Amazon: Pearl in the Sand: A Novel by Tessa Afshar.

Edited by oasis

I've recently been enjoying the Professor von Igelfeld series by Alexander McCall Smith. The first one is Portuguese Irregular Verbs. These are shorter books and there are currently 3 with a 4th due in Dec. Von Igelfeld is described as a cross between Frasier and Inspector Clousseau. The stories are clean and fun.

I've also just finished Ordinary Jack by Helen Cresswell and have started the second book Absolute Zero. It's a children's book but there is enough in there to make it fun for adults to read, too.

The Gods and Kings series by Lynn Austin was awesome!

I LOVED Gods and Kings: Chronicles of the Kings #1 (Currently free on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Kings-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B004X7B8QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341336326&sr=8-1&keywords=Lyn+Austin) but it does have some depressing parts.

I want to read #2 now!

Neta Jackson, who wrote the Yada Yada Prayer Group series, has some newer books out as well. The House of Hope series. _Stand by Me_

Yashua's Bridge by Sandi Rog was also great http://www.amazon.com/Yahshuas-Bridge-Iron-Stone-ebook/dp/B006A9S0DO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1341336500&sr=1-1&keywords=Yahshua%27s+Bridge -- but again has some depressing parts in the middle

The Amish Farm Triology by Gayle Roper is good. http://www.amazon.com/Strangers-Wish-Amish-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0031B7KD0/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1341336544&sr=1-3&keywords=amish+farm First book is _A Stranger's Wish_

_In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom_ by Qanta Ahmed was fascinating, though not Christian.