Menu

What to do with leftover Spiral Ham?

Because it's super easy:

Cut leftover ham off bone, soak white beans overnight. Add in crockpot or soup pot on stove:

Ham

White Beans

Chicken Broth

A little water

Sliced carrots

Sliced celery

Sliced onion, or onion flakes

A little thyme

Maybe a bay leaf if you have it

Cook until it starts to smell yummy, or you are hungry, whichever is most convenient to you.

We slice some cheddar cheese, leftover ham and sandwich between two saltine crackers. Pair it with some grapes and you have a lunch the kiddos will love.

Someone on this board posted the most wonderful ham/spinach/egg/pesto/tomatoes recipe- awhile back for leftover ham. I'm not kidding it was so flavorful! I don't have time to dig up the recipe right now, but it would be worth trying to find.

I have a recipe for a delicious potato soup with ham and grated cheddar cheese--yum! If you want it, let me know. If you have enough, you can also put it in a pot with a can or two of coconut milk and a can or two of pineapple chunks and cook it through. Sooo good.

The soups are my first choice. Then I like to make this:

ham and potato bake

3 tbsp butter

1/2 c chopped onion

1/2 c sliced celery

3 tbsp flour

1 tsp salt

dash of pepper

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1 1/2 c milk

3/4 c shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

4 c frozen french fries

1 1/2 c cubed, cooked ham

Saute the onion and celery in butter; blend in flour and seasonings. Add milk, stirring and cooking , until thickened. Stir in 1/2 c cheese until melted.

Layer the potatoes, then the ham in a shallow 2 qt dish. Pour sauce over and bake, covered, at 400* for 30 minutes. Uncover, top with remainder of cheese, and bake til melted.

4 servings

Dice it up and put in the freezer in 1-2 cup baggies.

Use the bone for pea soup and throw in some of the diced ham near the end. Use it for various casseroles, soups, cold pasta salads, etc. It is wonderful to have diced ham in the freezer to use when I come across a recipe that calls for it.