Menu

Questions for Christians....

Disclaimer....this is really a post only Christians could answer. No offense intended, I promise. I just don't want to get into a huge debate.

1. To YOU, what does it mean to be a "Christian"? What does that look like in your life?

2. What do YOU think God wants from those of us who claim to be Christians?

I am struggling with a lot of thoughts, questions, etc. I don't know how to explain it...like I am looking around at all my beliefs about God, Jesus, Christianity, and they are starting to pile up all over the place and I can't find the right box for each of them and I think I may need to do some spiritual decluttering...if that makes any sense.

I just feel like God is trying to tell me something but I can't hear it because my head is so full of noise.

I became a Christian at 9 years of age. In November. As a child I looked at lovely pictures of Christ on a cross and wondered what it meant. I was not raiseed in a particularly "Christian" practicing home, but I loved that picture that was in a book. When my parents began attending Church, I loved learning the Bible in Sunday school and enjoyed listening to sermons. I had a very real child's faith. I was saved in a baptist church and I spent several years in a small pentecostal church. During those years I prayed a few times for something very specific... and God answered my prayers... Some can discount the experiences, but they were very real to me... a broken watch put in a drawer with a simple prayer "God, can you fix this for me?" I checked on it every few days and one day, it was working again. Stuff like that... but as a child, it was huge! Once I was having a horrible asthma attach and Christian teens surrounded me and prayed and within a minute my breathing was clear. That was special, too.

When I graduated from high school, I chose a Christian bible college specifically to study the Bible and evaluate what "I" believe. I wanted to know what others believed and why. And I wanted to know what I believed. I choose to believe that the Bible in it's closest version to the original scriptures is true. All of it. I am a creationist and believe in a literal interpretation of the scripture.

The most important thing I have learned, though, is to care for and respect others who don't believe the way I do. I believe that we are created by God with a purpose to bring glory and honor to God. We do that by loving others. It starts in our hearts and homes. As time allows, that service and love can extend to others. Perhaps a Christian takes time to clean at church... or serve in the nursery... or teach a child's class... or take meals to a sick person, shut in, or newly delivered mom. But, I believe that daily we are to work on our attitudes to become like the example that Christ set for us. And that means not looking the other way when we pass a gay/lesbian... but make loving eye contact and care for that person... we don't not want to be friends with someone because they aren't in a dress with long, uncut hair... I've had to practice not judging a person for piercings or odd hair... we are here right now in this culture and community for a reason.

Well... that's what comes to mind off the top of my head...

Best wishes and prayers for you,

BMW

My purpose in being a Christian is to build the kingdom of God. Jews use the term "tikkun olam" - repairing the world. To become more like Christ, and thus make our world closer to the way God intends it to be.

That includes all the usual do-gooding, charitable giving, loving others, working on character, being-niceness, blah blah :D :lol:

well you asked, so I'm going to answer. :D

LOVE is God's greatest commandment. I can't believe how unloving Christians can act, especially to one another. Turn the other cheek. Be the peacemaker. Don't point out another's sin without recognizing your own. Act loving and kind. Respect others - and place their own best interest above your own. For some reason this was always so important and easy to me. Sometimes I unknowingly stumble but if ever pointed out, by the flesh OR the spirit, I immediately take ownership and apologize. It's just so easy for me but is often not reciprocal.

If I remember right, and I don't have the best memory and could be wrong, but I felt verbally attacked by you here over a "remove the shoes before you enter my house" thread. I was quite shocked at many of the responses, yours included. It wasn't very "Christian" at all.

I think to act lovingly and kind is the epitome of Christianity.

Denise

Edited by Denisemomof4

1. To YOU, what does it mean to be a "Christian"?

I believe that to be a Christian, one must have faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.

What does that look like in your life?

I think it looks like a sinful woman struggling with herself, Satan, and the world.

I think the duty God requires of Christians is obedience to His revealed will which is summarized in the Ten Commandments.

1. To YOU, what does it mean to be a "Christian"? What does that look like in your life?

1. We are all born in sin because of the Fall of Man in Adam. "Through one man sin entered the world." We are dead in these trespasses and sins and totally lost unable to do God's will or be reconciled to Him. But, because God loved the world, He sent His only Son Jesus to die for us. Jesus was the second Adam. Like Adam, He represented mankind. Unlike Adam, He lived a life of perfect obedience. He then took our sins upon Himself and died as a substitute for us. Whoever believes in Him has eternal life and their sins are washed away. That's what I believe it means to be a Christian.

2. Jesus said we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and our neighbor as ourself. That is the sum of the Law and the Prophets. That's what I believe God wants of us.

To be a Christian means to accept the gift of salvation that God gave to us when Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins. When I accept his salvation, I am accepting a whole bunch of other things as well - including being part of His family.

I think that God wants us to grow up spiritually - to become mature believers (or as far as we can get toward that goal before He calls us home to Him). He wants me to live the spiritual life - or as it is sometimes called - the abundant life.

I do that by keeping connected to the power of God the Holy Spirit by remaining in fellowship. I get back into fellowship after I sin by confessing my sins when I commit them.

I take in God's Word because that is my spiritual food. I fellowship with other believers as part of my worship and my spiritual intake of God's Word because I know that God has given us spiritual gifts that we are to use to our mutual benefit. It is easy to see the benefit of sitting under someone with the communication gift of pastor-teacher but I know that I'm equally benefited by those with other gifts.

I interact with other people that God brings into my life daily and I grow in those circumstances - both good and bad - that God also allows in my life.

I am called to be one of God's ambassadors. I may not be making public speeches but I am showing others what it means to be part of God's family through my words and actions.

To me it means that I believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and I have accepted Him as my Lord and Saviour.

What does God want? I wouldn't presume to know the mind of God. I believe that the Bible gives us an understanding of the 'rules' so to speak, of what is right and wrong, but beyond that, it is my belief that God has a plan for each of us. What God may want of me, He may not ask of you...etc. I don't believe that any one person can claim to know what God wants. Seek and ye shall find...but I believe that's a personal finding, not a global one.

The nitty gritty, day to day details of being a christian for us mean attending and participating in church and in church ordinances, paying tithing, reading scripture and studying at home and church, praying, and serving others.

On a more personal level it means following the example of the Savior in all of the choices we make, applying the atonement when we fail, loving God and our neighbor, and in all ways trying to change our hearts so they align with what Christ taught. It is more about becoming than doing, though good works are certainly the best way I know to show that we love our brothers and sisters. To be in the world - this is our testing ground - but not of the world.

Short answer - to become like Him. To go about doing good, to develop charity, the pure love of Christ. To act as brothers and sisters. To be an example of the believers. To lift and strengthen, to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. And ultimately to return to Him to continue to grow and progress for eternity with our families and others we love.

To me, well, what it means to be a Christian is best explained from what we see in the Bible. I try to not care so much about what I think, but what He thinks. So looking at Scripture, to be a Christian is to admit that you're a sinner and worthy of hell. Christ is God's Son, sent to be a holy sacrifice, the Perfect Lamb of the Passover, innocent and slaughtered, His blood covers my sins so that I am made acceptable in the Father's sight. I accepted Christ's atonement on the cross, and He has changed my heart. He has filled me with unspeakable joy and peace that passes all understanding. By His strength and power, I press on, fighting the good fight. What does that look like in my life? It looks like a sinful (but saved) person who rejoices daily in all the blessings He has given me, even the thorns through which I've grown. It looks like clay, being moulded and chisled, constantly being worked and formed... the clay never hardens, it just keeps getting re-worked. Sometimes the clay becomes a tall vase, and other times it's a tiny ashtray, but it is definitely a work in progress. Sometimes chisling hurts, but it is always for the best. It looks like gold or silver being refined in the fire. Fire burns, but is necessary to burn away the impurities.

What does God want from us who claim to be Christians? Simple. To know Him and to make Him known. :001_smile:

Praying for you, Heather. If He's stirring things up for you, I trust it is to cause growth. How exciting! :grouphug:

LOVE is God's greatest commandment. I can't believe how unloving Christians can act, especially to one another. Turn the other cheek. Be the peacemaker. Don't point out another's sin without recognizing your own. Act loving and kind. Respect others - and place their own best interest above your own. For some reason this was always so important and easy to me. Sometimes I unknowingly stumble but if ever pointed out, by the flesh OR the spirit, I immediately take ownership and apologize. It's just so easy for me but is often not reciprocal.

If I remember right, and I don't have the best memory and could be wrong, but I felt verbally attacked by you here over a "remove the shoes before you enter my house" thread. I was quite shocked at many of the responses, yours included. It wasn't very "Christian" at all.

Denise

...and several of US remain shocked that people tend to care more about their floors than other people in the name of "stewardship", even after pointing out that little facet. THAT doesn't seem very "Christian" either. ;)

Love can be quite a double-edged sword.

It's not loving to let another wallow in self destruction.

It's not loving to just offer sweet affirmations for every little thing.

Many would say it's not loving to allow evil to remain in a circumstance.

Christ probably didn't come across as loving and kind when He took a whip to the merchants at the temple.... ;)

as for the OP questions, I can't answer them very specifically.

1a.

I do believe that to BE a Christian includes some sort of saving faith as described in the Bible, and I do tend to believe the typical creed. but I've shared my thoughts about being careful condemning other denominations/individuals as "unChristian" because I do realize that one can have a misunderstanding of scripture and still be a Christian. I have not yet determined how gross an error that would need to be for God to not forgive it :)

1b.

it LOOKS like servant-leadership and lots of study/ learning here.

He wants 100% of our hearts.

Guest janainaz

I've been there and am still there. When I became a Christian, I thought I had it figured out. I realize this is a life-long journey. My explanation and interpretation may be a little choppy and repetitive, but I'm just writing from my heart - not so eloquently written.....

I believe in my heart that the basis of Christianity is solely on love. We are here to love each other, but our fears stand in the way. I know that every single issue, problem, broken relationship, anxiety, etc. is all based on fear. Christ came and died for ALL, every single living human being. This truth should rule in our hearts in every single relationship. Yet, we judge - first ourselves because of our inability to accept God's whole, perfect and complete love and as a result we judge everyone around us. This is the battle (definitely mine). We are supposed to forgive at all costs and see the best in people because that is what God does. His kindness leads to repentance. We obey Him out of love, not fear. It's the way I want my kids to respond to me. But our obedience to the will of God is all about people. God's will is for the restoration and atonement of all. Our two commands from Jesus were love God and love others - if you do that you have fulfilled the law. Yet, somehow it has become complicated. If we focus on our need to love, our need to receive completely God's love - there is no other work to be done.

Love is not based on what you can get, but based on what you can give.

A few years ago I was thinking about my mom and the fact that I don't love her based on what she did or didn't do as a mother. I just love her. Much of my anger was based on my own lack of love - I was looking at the relationship and counting her as guilty becuase I did not receive what I felt I should have. For years and years we have been estranged and up until recently, I thought it was because of her. I now realize that I'm just afraid. I can't love myself freely and accept myself and so I can't accept her. She's a person who pushes people out of her life and until I can deal with myself, I really won't be able to love her in the way she needs it most. It is the same reason people get divorced. Love is NOT about having needs met, it's about finding our wholeness and perfect love inside us from God and giving that freely. That is truly the mission, finding God's perfect love in us. Only out of this knowledge, out of this freedom of forgiveness, out of us seeing our reflection and seeing God's face, can we love purely and produce miracles.

Jesus was the absolute example of what it looked like to love.

Love is the only thing that IS eternal. When we die, everything we did here on earth is gone with the exception of the love we left behind in the hearts of others. We either hurt or heal. This is why God IS love. Our journey is to become holy and that means learning unconditional love. It is what I lack and am starting to see a glimpse of what it COULD look like in my life.

In my marriage relationship, I'm not with my husband so that he can make me happy. After 12 years I have learned through experience that the only thing that produces freedom and wholeness is to accept the other person - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have learned this because this is how my husband has loved me. I've changed under that freedom. It's not that he does all the great husband stuff - but he does accept me. My husband has issues, I have issues, the whole planet has issues (every one of them rooted in fear) and the only purpose of our being here is to learn what love really is and how to do it.

Perfect love casts out fear. That is the sum of Christianity. Our focus should not be where we go when we die. We are supposed to find the kingdom while we are here. Only love can truly bring the love out of others. Judgement can not do that. Judgement only confirms the fears in another person and in the same way the kingdom of God is here and now, it's alive - so is hell.

Jesus came to save, to heal, and to set us free. He said WE would do greater things when He left. So, while it is important to share the gospel of Christ, we do it most effectively through relationship and through reckless love.

To me, that's what it's about.

Edited by janainaz

...and several of US remain shocked that people tend to care more about their floors than other people in the name of "stewardship", even after pointing out that little facet. THAT doesn't seem very "Christian" either. ;)

:confused:

are you a Christian??? :confused:

well

Denise

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But if you go back and look at your thread about shoes, and the follow up thread, you will see that not only did I NOT attack you, I never even responded at all. You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I know I am babbling on a bit but ...it seems to me like there is this "christianese" that Christians speak and I sometimes wonder if we really know what these words and phrases mean. Like what does it mean to "seek after God"? to "be a follower of Christ"? to "have Jesus as your Lord"? etc.etc.

What does God want from us? I know the proper answer is to "glorify Him" but what EXACTLY does that mean? What EXACTLY does that look like? It sometimes feels like a catch-all phrase that we all use but no one knows what it really means.

Can someone show me where the middle of the road is? I can't do the "God is my buddy" thing...or the "truth is relative and all paths lead to God" thing...or the "God as my psychologist" thing.

But I also can't do the legalistic "if you wear your hair a certain way, don't drink, wear certain clothes, don't wear make-up, etc. you are a good Christian" thing either.

I believe that theology is a good thing and the fact that so few Christians actually know any real doctrine or theology is a travesty. But I also think that you can begin to worship the theology, your church, your pastor, etc. more than God if you are not careful.

orthodoxy or orthopraxy? both? neither?

I feel like in the past year I have been more focused, more dedicated, more faithful to God than ever before in my life...then suddenly I feel like I've been running around in spiritual circles and I've gottten nowhere. It's weird. It's like suddeny "status quo" does not work for me any more. Nothing fits like it use to.

The same well-worn "christian phrases" and "christian activities" all feel like so much rubbish...it's two-dimensional... like a little kid pretending... it's not enough any more...

where do I go from here?

:confused:

are you a Christian??? :confused:

you betcha.

Guest janainaz
Thank you all so much for your responses. I know I am babbling on a bit but ...it seems to me like there is this "christianese" that Christians speak and I sometimes wonder if we really know what these words and phrases mean. Like what does it mean to "seek after God"? to "be a follower of Christ"? to "have Jesus as your Lord"? etc.etc.

What does God want from us? I know the proper answer is to "glorify Him" but what EXACTLY does that mean? What EXACTLY does that look like? It sometimes feels like a catch-all phrase that we all use but no one knows what it really means.

Can someone show me where the middle of the road is? I can't do the "God is my buddy" thing...or the "truth is relative and all paths lead to God" thing...or the "God as my psychologist" thing.

But I also can't do the legalistic "if you wear your hair a certain way, don't drink, wear certain clothes, don't wear make-up, etc. you are a good Christian" thing either.

I believe that theology is a good thing and the fact that so few Christians actually know any real doctrine or theology is a travesty. But I also think that you can begin to worship the theology, your church, your pastor, etc. more than God if you are not careful.

I feel like in the past year I have been more focused, more dedicated, more faithful to God than ever before in my life...then suddenly I feel like I've been running around in spiritual circles and I've gottten nowhere. It's weird. It's like suddeny "status quo" does not work for me any more. Nothing fits like it use to.

The same well-worn "christian phrases" and "christian activities" all feel like so much rubbish...it's two-dimensional... like a little kid pretending... it's not enough any more...

where do I go from here?

This just means you are growing. Where do you go from here? Keep seeking truth .... it'll light the path. God says seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened. Maybe more doors open the more willing we are to be changed.

where do I go from here?

*to me* it seems like you need to figure out where you fit in The Body of Christ.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=918417&postcount=17

That's going to look different to every Christian.

This isn't about an "all paths lead to God" thing, but about realizing that God has equipped us each w/ specific gifts. You are in the middle of finding where you fit. It doesn't require a questioning OF faith, but a questioning of areas within the faith. Good luck :)

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But if you go back and look at your thread about shoes, and the follow up thread, you will see that not only did I NOT attack you, I never even responded at all. You must have me mixed up with someone else.

I am truly sorry! You're absolutely right, I did mix you up with someone else! I just searched my thread and couldn't find a response from you. I'm sorry!:blushing: I really should have been more careful!

The other part about being Christian is projecting Jesus through us. I humbly ask for your forgiveness...... and "ignore" others who seek to cause problems. It's so much easier.

Again, I'm truly sorry!

Guest Katia
I've been there and am still there. When I became a Christian, I thought I had it figured out. I realize this is a life-long journey. My explanation and interpretation may be a little choppy and repetitive, but I'm just writing from my heart - not so eloquently written.....

I believe in my heart that the basis of Christianity is solely on love. We are here to love each other, but our fears stand in the way. I know that every single issue, problem, broken relationship, anxiety, etc. is all based on fear. Christ came and died for ALL, every single living human being. This truth should rule in our hearts in every single relationship. Yet, we judge - first ourselves because of our inability to accept God's whole, perfect and complete love and as a result we judge everyone around us. This is the battle (definitely mine). We are supposed to forgive at all costs and see the best in people because that is what God does. His kindness leads to repentance. We obey Him out of love, not fear. It's the way I want my kids to respond to me. But our obedience to the will of God is all about people. God's will is for the restoration and atonement of all. Our two commands from Jesus were love God and love others - if you do that you have fulfilled the law. Yet, somehow it has become complicated. If we focus on our need to love, our need to receive completely God's love - there is no other work to be done.

Love is not based on what you can get, but based on what you can give.

A few years ago I was thinking about my mom and the fact that I don't love her based on what she did or didn't do as a mother. I just love her. Much of my anger was based on my own lack of love - I was looking at the relationship and counting her as guilty becuase I did not receive what I felt I should have. For years and years we have been estranged and up until recently, I thought it was because of her. I now realize that I'm just afraid. I can't love myself freely and accept myself and so I can't accept her. She's a person who pushes people out of her life and until I can deal with myself, I really won't be able to love her in the way she needs it most. It is the same reason people get divorced. Love is NOT about having needs met, it's about finding our wholeness and perfect love inside us from God and giving that freely. That is truly the mission, finding God's perfect love in us. Only out of this knowledge, out of this freedom of forgiveness, out of us seeing our reflection and seeing God's face, can we love purely and produce miracles.

Jesus was the absolute example of what it looked like to love.

Love is the only thing that IS eternal. When we die, everything we did here on earth is gone with the exception of the love we left behind in the hearts of others. We either hurt or heal. This is why God IS love. Our journey is to become holy and that means learning unconditional love. It is what I lack and am starting to see a glimpse of what it COULD look like in my life.

In my marriage relationship, I'm not with my husband so that he can make me happy. After 12 years I have learned through experience that the only thing that produces freedom and wholeness is to accept the other person - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have learned this because this is how my husband has loved me. I've changed under that freedom. It's not that he does all the great husband stuff - but he does accept me. My husband has issues, I have issues, the whole planet has issues (every one of them rooted in fear) and the only purpose of our being here is to learn what love really is and how to do it.

Perfect love casts out fear. That is the sum of Christianity. Our focus should not be where we go when we die. We are supposed to find the kingdom while we are here. Only love can truly bring the love out of others. Judgement can not do that. Judgement only confirms the fears in another person and in the same way the kingdom of God is here and now, it's alive - so is hell.

Jesus came to save, to heal, and to set us free. He said WE would do greater things when He left. So, while it is important to share the gospel of Christ, we do it most effectively through relationship and through reckless love.

To me, that's what it's about.

Jana, Thank you. This is just what I needed to read tonight.

where do I go from here?

I agree, keep knocking, keep searching, keep praying. It is exciting!

I liken our Christian walk in terms of seasons. Humour me, if you will. ;) Winter is when you feel disconnected or dead. There's just stillness and quietness, not much is happening. Spring is when there is lots stirring, things are beginning to grow, there are showers with things lining up and preparing; there are great things on the horizon. Summer is the time when we see the fruit of spring: the action is poured out and/or the growth becomes obvious. It's a high energy time, things are happening. Fall is the time when things begin to slow down again, and one can look on the past seasons and say "ya, that was why it all happened," connections and reflections happen.

So using this analogy, I'd say you are in a mighty spring season, sista! Things are stirring! It is exciting! And no wonder, with all you have been planning with the move, the relationship with your mother, etc.

Denise

And yes you felt very strongly about wanting people to take off their shoes when entering your home.

Also, some would say it is very un-Christian to accuse another Christian of being un-Christian as a means to attack them.

See we could go round and round here. :tongue_smilie:

I am truly sorry! You're absolutely right, I did mix you up with someone else! I just searched my thread and couldn't find a response from you. I'm sorry!:blushing: I really should have been more careful!

The other part about being Christian is projecting Jesus through us. I humbly ask for your forgiveness...... and "ignore" others who seek to cause problems. It's so much easier.

Again, I'm truly sorry!

No problem! I may not have been snarky on your thread but I know I've let my attitude get the best of me on other threads so I am certainly not innocent. Thanks again for replying!

This will be brief only because its going on midnight here on the west coast, but I think that the answer is fairly easy so I will give it a shot.

I call myself a Christian because I am a follower of Christ. He taught us how to live by pointing us to the the greatest commandment that says we are to love the Lord our God with all of our mind, heart, soul and strength. Every commandment hinges on this, along with loving our neighbors as ourselves.

So to me, this means following after Christ, believing that He is the Messiah, the one who paid the atonement for my sins with His own life. Because of this, I want to strive to be more like Him. His life example was one of giving and serving, loving God and others -- never dwelling on His own rights, desires or opinions.

I am far from this, believe me...but I strive each day to be more like Him.

Blessings,

Lucinda