Menu

I need an awesome, deep, moist chocolate cupcake recipe..

Store bought cupcakes and cake mixes are usually dry and even if they aren't, they are too light. What I have in mind is something really substantial like those "muffins" you buy at Costco or the grocery store's bakery.

I prefer chocolate but not one that chips or chunks of chocolate in it.

THis is the best, most moist chocolate cake EVER. It is the recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Try it...you will definitely not be disappointed! I also make homemade almond/vanilla icing to go on it. It reminds of the chocolate lasagna that Olive Garden used to sell. :)

I really think it is that cup of boiling water at the end that does the trick!

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely and frost. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

I just made the recipe for The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever from The Pioneer Woman. I made it into cupcakes and...OH. MY. It is so moist and delicious!

I don't recommend her particular frosting for cupcakes though. It's ooey gooey and just ran all over the place. It is heavenly delicious and I'll use it when I make it into a cake but I'm going to do it with a nice cream cheese frosting next time for cupcakes.

Yum! Yum!

THis is the best, most moist chocolate cake EVER. It is the recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box.

Yes, yes, yes...except replace the Hershey cocoa with Ghirardelli. Oh wow. I made this as a two layer cake with chocolate frosting for my son's birthday. It was the best!

Jane

You guys need to stop it! Yum!!!! **off to make cupcakes...**

:iagree: Is it not enough that I am wearing stretchy pants? Do I have to be forced to test the limits of spandex?

(she types one-handed, as she drops parchment liners into the cupcake tins)

THis is the best, most moist chocolate cake EVER. It is the recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Try it...you will definitely not be disappointed! I also make homemade almond/vanilla icing to go on it. It reminds of the chocolate lasagna that Olive Garden used to sell. :)

Rebecca is right. . . this is a wonderful chocolate cake. I frost mine with Seafoam (7 minute boiled frosting) with Maple flavoring. It's delicious!

Yes, yes, yes...except replace the Hershey cocoa with Ghirardelli. Oh wow. I made this as a two layer cake with chocolate frosting for my son's birthday. It was the best!

Jane

I love the Hershey's Cocoa recipe too. Now I need to try it with Ghirardelli.

This is less of a cupcake and more of a pool of chocolate goo encased in cakey chocolate. And it's ridiculously easy.

• Butter for ramekins
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Place baking sheet in an oven preheated to 400°. Butter four 2/3-cup ramekins and set aside.

Using a microwave oven or double boiler, melt together the semisweet chocolate and the butter. Set aside to cool.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar and flour. Add cooled chocolate mixture, and mix until blended. Fold in white chocolate chips.

Divide mixture evenly among ramekins and place on baking sheet. Bake until tops are shiny and cracked and chocolate beneath is hot and gooey, about 20 minutes. Place each ramekin on a small plate with a teaspoon and serve, reminding children that ramekins and chocolate are hot.

Also at http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipesdesserts/food_20030718_chocolate

I just made the recipe for The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever from The Pioneer Woman. I made it into cupcakes and...OH. MY. It is so moist and delicious!

I don't recommend her particular frosting for cupcakes though. It's ooey gooey and just ran all over the place. It is heavenly delicious and I'll use it when I make it into a cake but I'm going to do it with a nice cream cheese frosting next time for cupcakes.

Yum! Yum!

Please relink!

My oven is broken at the moment.

THis is the best, most moist chocolate cake EVER. It is the recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Try it...you will definitely not be disappointed!

This is the ONLY chocolate cake my family (my mom, and now me) have EVER made. We've tried all the others and just keep coming back to this recipe. In our house, (mom lives with us) it's referred to as "THE cake."

I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Astrid (who is now off to make "THE cake" before dinner!)

As I was contemplating the recipe my 12 ds says to me, "Mom, sometimes you have to stretch a little bit . . . make it." (They always accuse me of worrying too much about nutrition.) Well it's the stretching a little bit that's worrying me . . .