Menu

s/o - swine flu and anti-viral medications...will you take them?

Hypothetically, if you or your children got the swine flu, would you seek out a dr and get something like Tamiflu for yourself and/or the kids?

I called my kids dr today (since we are an hour away) and asked some questions about what to do if the kids showed symptoms (we have 5 college students with swine flu about 20 miles from here at a university). Anyway, their doc (whom we have been seeing for 5 years) said he does not give the antivirals to kids. I am not sure if this is good or bad or neither.

I am not even sure I would go get the drug for myself. Is it 100% necessary? I mean, would it help with the cytokine storm if that were going to happen? I would never normally go run out and get Tamiflu...but is this different?

Just wanting some other opinions. I know that if there is a vaccine, the kids and I will NOT be getting it.

Well, we've given our son Relenza for the flu not too long ago, so I wouldn't have any problem dosing them...and our doc wouldn't either (since he prescribed it). I specifically chose a doc that is willing to medicate children for stuff, knowing that I could always turn those medications down, but that if a doc won't prescribe, there would be no way for me to get meds if my children did need them.

No, but because the flu that is appearing in the US is a weakened strain and is not as life threatening as the variety originally seen in Mexico.

We have access to wonderful health care system, if we do get sick.

I am not around anyone who has a medical condition that would lead us to believe that if we did get sick, we would cause anyone 'foreseen' complications. For instance, if a diabetic child gets the flu....they almost always end up with complications.

I work in health care and feel like I get fairly current, and accurate information direct from reputable sources, not the media. For instance...A health department representative came to our work today to answer questions, and give us information. We received several faxes today from the CDC, and information from our corporate offices, attempting to make sure we all had access to the most current documented news vs. sensationalism.

If I felt someone anyone I knew was in a different situation, and they wanted and needed to take the medications, I would support them and encourage them to do so...I just don't find my family to be in that group of people at this time.

FYI. In our area you cannot get Tamiflu or Relenza because they are not available in the pharmacy warehouses. They have either been sold out, or have been diverted to hospitals in case of true need.

Why wouldn't you take the anti-viral? Would you not take it to leave it for someone else who might need it more or would you not take it because you feel there are side effects, etc. with the anti-virals?

I'm just curious because my dd had influenza last month (before we heard about swine flu). Her doctor gave her two anti-viral meds. I was a little worried about giving it to her because of possible side effects yet on the other hand I can't imagine how sick she would have been without them. For a few days she couldn't even lift her head. I had to hold her head up so that she could take a drink of water, etc. The doctor said that dd should feel better within a day or two but it took longer than that. It took over a week for dd to feel well enough to get out of bed and a week after that for her to be back to normal.

Personally, I wouldn't take the meds because I feel they offer little to no help. I have fought a strain of the flu that had me flat on my back for weeks. Then, I got secondary walking pneumonia (I was 17 and STUPID) and I still didn't go to the doctor. This is not what I would do now...but unless I suspected a secondary infection, I couldn't breathe well, felt it was moving to my chest, etc. I would probably not run out and get an antiviral med.

With my kids, I was slightly surprised that my kids' doc did not give antivirals. This is not ONE doc...this is a big group of 8-9 docs. None of them will give anti-virals. They also don't recommend alternating tylenol and motrin and they were one of the first groups to stop recommending OTC cold medicines for kids. They seem to have the philosophy that less is better and, for the most part, I agree.

My oldest son had the flu when he was 4.5 and it was honestly the sickest I have ever seen a child in my life. It was terrifying. We took him to the doctor on a Monday for vomiting. They did a repid flu test and it came back negative. The next morning, around 5am, he woke with a 104.5 degree fever and asked me why the room was moving around and around. Then he threw up. I immediately put him in a luke warm bath and gave him meds to take the fever down, but he vomited the meds. He vomited 6 more times before I could get him to the doctor that morning (had to wait until they opened at 8am). When we got there (this is the NEXT day, mind you...we had the first flu test on Monday and it was negative), the doc did another rapid flu test. He was positive for both A and B influenza. The A strain was the H3N2 Fujan strain, they never typed the B strain. Over the next 7 days, my poor child vomited almost continuously. Sip of a drink, throw up. Dose of medicine, throw up. His fever didn't get below 103 the entire time and meds did almost nothing to help. His personality totally changed - he was quiet and cried almost non-stop from pain and aches. God-awful, horrendous, horrific, terrifying - none of those words quite describe what that experience was like. However, THAT was the flu. He never got a secondary infection and he did recover....but not without shaving about 15 years off his momma's life in worry alone!

Nope I will not give my ds Tamiflu again. I posted in the other swine flu thread about his horrible, absolutely mind-blowingly horrible reaction to Tamiflu. The doctors had no idea what was going on and neither did I until a few months later there were reports of similar reactions among children in Asia. The reports actually stated that children in America did not have the same side effects. But, mine did. I will not give to him again and would have to pray LONG AND HARD about whether to give to my dd.

This is one reason why I am following the swine flu news very closely because we do not have Tamiflu as a line of defense.

I would - but them I am at risk for pneumonia (have had it several times now).

Hey - would FOUR year old generic Tamiflu still be good? Doctor gave hubby and I some when ALL four kids had the flu....then neither of us got sick (so the pills stayed unused.)

I would - but them I am at risk for pneumonia (have had it several times now).

Hey - would FOUR year old generic Tamiflu still be good? Doctor gave hubby and I some when ALL four kids had the flu....then neither of us got sick (so the pills stayed unused.)

There should be a machine printed expiration date on the actual box, it would be the most accurate.

The one on the actual pharmacy label would be a bit shorter.

I really don't know for myself and my family, but thought I'd throw out - a local radio commentator mentioned this morning that more people worldwide have died from reaction to the vaccine than from the flu itself.

I don't know if that's accurate or not. Maybe someone else with more information can speak to it?

(He also contrasted the numbers involved in the swine flu outbreak - under 200 world wide so far - being called a "pandemic" by some, to the incidence of malaria, which kills on the order of 3000 per day.)

ETA: I realize the transmission possibilities of swine flu make it an entirely different story than malaria, but it does make 'ya think, doesn't it?

I really don't know for myself and my family, but thought I'd throw out - a local radio commentator mentioned this morning that more people worldwide have died from reaction to the vaccine than from the flu itself.

I don't know if that's accurate or not. Maybe someone else with more information can speak to it?

(He also contrasted the numbers involved in the swine flu outbreak - under 200 world wide so far - being called a "pandemic" by some, to the incidence of malaria, which kills on the order of 3000 per day.)

ETA: I realize the transmission possibilities of swine flu make it an entirely different story than malaria, but it does make 'ya think, doesn't it?

I think he was referring to 1976 when President Carter ordered a flu vaccine for the US residents after a 19 year old soldier died in Ft. Dx of swine flu. It was contained and never went past Ft. Dix (though 200 other soldiers contracted the virus, they recovered). Anyway, the vaccines were given anyway (possible pandemic, of course) and 2,000 people or so died from the VACCINE even though the illness never spread.

No way will my family take the vaccine if one is offered.

I think he was referring to 1976 when President Carter ordered a flu vaccine for the US residents after a 19 year old soldier died in Ft. Dx of swine flu. It was contained and never went past Ft. Dix (though 200 other soldiers contracted the virus, they recovered). Anyway, the vaccines were given anyway (possible pandemic, of course) and 2,000 people or so died from the VACCINE even though the illness never spread.

Thanks for the background - I didn't tune in this morning to hear the story that he was teasing yesterday, but this makes sense.

I definitely won't be taking it, but my 10 dd who has asthma had the flu last spring and it was so bad she couldn't even lift her head off the pillow or even hold her own drink and the doctor gave her tamiflu and she recovered quickly. She has been known to get pneumonia fairly easily in the past, so I would do whatever I felt would be best to get her well depending on the circumstances.

Joy

This is a good question. Generally, I wouldn't get an anti-viral or even go to the doctor unless an illness was "weird." Just a cold or flu? nope. And I think it's problematic for people to be filling doc offices at this time. That sniffle is NOT the flu but you just had a greater chance of exposing yourself to it! But I'm less sure in this case depending on what happens.

I would NOT even consider the vaccination for ds or myself. Hubby will do whatever is required by a job as long as the components of the vaccination aren't against our beliefs.

I'm WAY WAY WAY less sure about dd. If the components of the vaccination are against our beliefs, problem solved. NEVER would we go against our consciences. But if not? I think I need to call my daughter's nephrologist if this becomes an issue. My daughter has been in remission for almost a year and a half. A virus can wreak havoc on her health. We DID get her (and only her) the regular flu vaccination this past year because nephrologist said so related directly to her condition. Well, and I guess that goes the same for the anti-viral medication. I defer to the nephrologist for her.

Only 20 people died. About 1000 were struck with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Keep in mind that this was out of 40 million Americans who were innoculated against Swine Flu. Still, the complications that may have been related to the vaccine were considered high and some think it may have something to do with the fact that the vaccine was a product of rushed production.

To understand the concern at the time it would be helpful to look at the Hong Kong flu of 1968 which killed 34 000 Americans.