Menu

Must buy books

Ohdanigirl

Dh has given the green light for me to take advantage of our being in the states and start buying up reading books for the kiddies (4.5, 8,9). So I need to start making a list to carry around with me. I have been using AO as a starting point and have bought up a lot of used books. Please give me all your must read books for children that might not be listed on the AO web site. I have all boys if that make a difference, but ds9 enjoyed Heidi and Pollyanna very much. Also, looking for Pilgrims Progress, but not sure if there is a difference in editions. Anybody know?

Danielle

Dangerous Journey is a wonderful edition of Pilgrims Progress. It does have some scary pictures, so depending on how sensitive your 4.5yo is, you may not be comfortable with that aspect of it.

Are you looking for fun reads or literature? History read-alouds?

Honey for a Child's Heart is a book about books, great kids books, so if you can find it at a library, you might get some good ideas from there, as well as from The Read-Aloud Handbook.

Otherwise, I would suggest the Hardy Boys series and the Boxcar Children as mind candy. The Railway Children is a wonderful book, as are Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web. The Indian in the Cupboard series is good, and of course the Narnia series. My boys loved all the 10 Boys Who... books (10 Boys Who Changed the World, etc).

Hmmm. I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'll post again if anything else comes to me.

Is the Little Pilgrims Progress the one available through A Beka? I hadn't thought about The Indian In The Cupboard (good one). Luckily my older two aren't very sensitive, but I will be careful with ds4.5. Here's a short list of what I own or have purchased.

Beatrix Potter books

When We Were Young

Now We Are Six

Just So Stories

Velveteen Rabbit

Falling Up

Where The Side Walk Ends

RailWay Children

Little House Series

Narnia

James and the Giant Peach

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Reluctant Dragon

Wild Animals I Have Know

Pagoo

Minn of the Miss.

Dr. Seuss books

Shakespeare Stories 1 and 2

The Very Busy Spider

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Black Ships before Troy

Across Five Aprils

Heidi

Stuart Little

Charlottes Web

and that's all I can think of at the moment. Whew. I am looking for good literature in general, historic or otherwise. As much as possible since we live out of the country in a non-English speaking country. It is very hard to get books. Thanks all.

Encyclopedia Brown

Come On Seabuscuit

Homer Price

Stone Fox

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

Mr Poppers Penguins

The Cricket in Times Square

Mountain Born

By the Great Horn Spoon

Balto and the Great Race

Concord Cunningham: Scripture Sleuth

Ben and Me

Rabbit Hill

matchlock Gun

Twenty and Ten

Mystery of Pelican Cove

I've never read that book before, what's it abouit? My Side of the Mountain is one of the ones I have forgotten to look for, Thanks.

Danielle

If you liked My Side of the Mountain then you will probably like The Sign of the Beaver! Write up from Amazon:

"When his father returns East to collect the rest of the family, 13-year-old Matt is left alone to guard his family's newly built homestead. One day, Matt is brutally stung when he robs a bee tree for honey. He returns to consciousness to discover that his many stings have been treated by an old Native American and his grandson. Matt offers his only book as thanks, but the old man instead asks Matt to teach his grandson Attean to read. Both boys are suspicious, but Attean comes each day for his lesson. In the mornings, Matt tries to entice Attean with tales from Robinson Crusoe, while in the afternoons, Attean teaches Matt about wilderness survival and Native American culture. The boys become friends in spite of themselves, and their inevitable parting is a moving tribute to the ability of shared experience to overcome prejudice."

Edited by kayinpa

Favorite Real-Alouds

The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter

James Herriot Treasury for Children

We have a zillion books but I keep reading these over, and over again.;)

I mis-read your post. Readers!!!

My dd loves...

The Little House Series, reading the series a second time!

Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Frog and Toad

CLP Nature Readers

Edited by farmwife
misunderstood

If you liked My Side of the Mountain then you will probably like The Sign of the Beaver! Write up from Amazon:

"When his father returns East to collect the rest of the family, 13-year-old Matt is left alone to guard his family's newly built homestead. One day, Matt is brutally stung when he robs a bee tree for honey. He returns to consciousness to discover that his many stings have been treated by an old Native American and his grandson. Matt offers his only book as thanks, but the old man instead asks Matt to teach his grandson Attean to read. Both boys are suspicious, but Attean comes each day for his lesson. In the mornings, Matt tries to entice Attean with tales from Robinson Crusoe, while in the afternoons, Attean teaches Matt about wilderness survival and Native American culture. The boys become friends in spite of themselves, and their inevitable parting is a moving tribute to the ability of shared experience to overcome prejudice."

Ooooh! That does sound good, THANKS!

Favorite Real-Alouds

James Herriot Treasury for Children

We have a zillion books but I keep reading these over, and over again.;)

I am glad to hear that. I just ordered this book and now I can't wait to get my hands on it. I don't mind read aloud at all, I read aloud to the kids all the time. In fact they are doing read aloud of three different books right now with three different adults....and a spanish audio book once or twice a week. We have read to them since they were babies and now it's just habbit.

I have three girls and one boy, so I often read aloud to my son a separate book that he would enjoy that the girls would enjoy too, but something that especially appeals to him.

He's eight and this year we read:

All of the Chronicles of Narnia

Mossflower--He LOVED this one

The Great Brain--about 3 sons in a family in the early 1900's and all the mischief they get into--really a great book

We also read Brill of Exitorn--a book you can get through BJU I believe

A few others we enjoy:

Eleanor Estes books: Ginger Pye, Pinky Pye, The Moffats (4 Moffat books)

Roald Dahl books: BFG is dd's favorite

Edward Eager: Half Magic series

Found some DK biographies at our Borders bookstore that we enjoy. Lots of photos, inexpensive, dd reads them on her own. I read them too!

Books my daughter has loved:

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Ginger Pye

Capyboppy (She just checked this out of the library for the 3rd time. I think we need to buy it.)

Little House in the Big Woods

The Skippyjon Jones books, esp. Skippyjon Jones, Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble and Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse - she even sleeps with these

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Eloise Wilkin Stories, particularly Baby Looks

Poetry. We have Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face (Jack Prelutsky), A Child's Garden of Verses (Stevenson) and Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young

Some of our favorite are:

http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury This is a collection of childrens stories. Ours is worn out form loving use daily for several months when my were a bit smaller. They still pick from it if we have a fun read aloud time and they pick.

http://www.amazon.com/James-Herriots-Treasury-Children-Creatures/ This is stories of a vet. It is not only wonderful warm stories but has beautiful art.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Heroes+for+Young+Readers We have this collection and have read through them many times. My kids always raze me as I still can't get through most of them without tears. They are just very moving to me.

I have bought and sold many good books but these books are keepers for us.

Have fun.

Thanks so much everyone. I think I am building a really good list. There are lots I haven't read, so that will keep me busy as well. My dc willl be very happy. I keep telling my husband we need a private library in our house. For some reason he hasn't built it yet.:confused::glare::confused:

Thanks again.

Lots of great suggestions already.... I would add

more poetry

more Roald Dahl :001_smile:

The Secret Garden

George's Secret Key to the Universe

the Oz series

fun nonfiction on any topics your children love -- DK Eyewitness books or something along those lines

DK's Children Just Like Me

My vote would be to first invest in some wonderful out of print classics that your library most likely doesn't have; and then invest in beautifully illustrated or annotated versions of classics. Below is a list of great books not often in the library. Enjoy your shopping spree -- and then your family reading journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- The Toothpaste Millionaire; The Pushcart War (Merrill)

- Little Britches series (Moody)

- Treasures of the Snow (St. John)

- Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

- Five on a Treasure Island (Blyton)

- Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz (Baum) -- lively sequels to the Wizard of Oz

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Amulet; The Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- The Father Christmas Letters (Tolkien)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- The Princess & the Goblins; The Princess & Curdie (MacDonald)

- Smith of Wooten Major; Farmer Giles of Ham; Leaf by Niggle (Tolkien) short story

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett) -- medieval Europe type setting

- Golden Key, Light Princess, Wise Woman (George MacDonald)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharpe)

- Basil of Baker Street (Titus)

- Swallows and Amazons (Ransome)

PS -- Another idea:

We also have this exact version (see link) of the Collier's Junior Classics and LOVE it! It is a 10-volume anthology series with great classic myths, legends, historical figures, poetry, and lots more; it's at a 5th grade and up level. I saw

at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Young-Folks-Shelf-Books-Colliers/dp/B000CQYBVG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241016759&sr=8-8

on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Junior-Classics-The-Young-Folks-Shelf-of-Books-1958_W0QQitemZ230338897957QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item230338897957&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

You can often find these sort of older anthologies at your local Good Will or at yard sales, or online at Ebay, Amazon used books, yard sales, etc. Another great series of classic books with illustrations (and 2 books per volume) is Grosset & Dunlap's Companion Library Double series. They are illustrated, and you turn the book over and flip it upside down for the other classic.