Menu

Anybody want to help me find some yellow sundresses?

My baby brother is getting married in August! He and his girlfriend, Stephanie, want my girls to be the flower girls. :) Stephanie wants them to wear yellow sundresses, and she asked me to be on the lookout for them since she will be planning a whole wedding in 3 months!! :willy_nilly: I would love your help in finding some cute ones! She would like them to match if possible or nearly match. Thanks!!

I've struck out so far- even with the pretty reliable standbys- LLBean, Lands End, Hanna Andersson, The Children's Place, and Target. Not a lot of dresses at all, even. Target had a white top/yellow skirt dress, but only in 5 & 6x.

In the very-pricey department, Strasburg Children (dot com) has a lovely yellow, smocked, sleeveless dress in sizes 5 and up, with a coordinating short-sleeved float dress in sizes up to 4T. At 30% off, they're still over $100 each, although I did find (when shopping for DD's First Communion dress) that the in-store prices were lower.

Target had a white top/yellow skirt dress, but only in 5 & 6x.

The ones with the white daisies stitched to the front? My girls got these dresses for Easter! They are beautiful! We paid about $13 each. They were marked clearance at the Target we went to.

Sundresses are simple. Before forking over $88 (ack!), I'd look into making them or having them made. If you can find a yellow pre-shirred fabric it's literally one seam and a hem (You'd use ribbon or bias tape for the ties).

If you can't find pre-shirred fabric, something with pintucks would be easier. It's also a tad bit more formal looking (and comfortable!).

Something like this rose print dress (on page 6) looks appropriate for a casual summer wedding:

http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2003_2/index.html?en

ETA: Be sure she clarifies whether she means sundress or sleeveless summer dress. There's a big difference as one with armholes and a zipper is a bit more involved to make.

Edited by darlasowders

Here is a pretty one from The Gap.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6300&vid=1&pid=645637.

Hope that helps.

Oh! I love that one. Simple, beautiful, and inexpensive. I swear I looked on the gap website and didn't even see that one. How did I miss that?

I don't sew. Please tell me that I'm not the only homeschool mommy who doesn't sew. :001_smile:

You're not the only homeschool mommy who doesn't sew. I know lots that don't. Lately that includes me. I'm thinking I need to toss all the stuff out of my way and do it SOON though as I find it to be a great stress reliever. It's also nice to spend some time doing something once in a while that STAYS DONE. :tongue_smilie:

Oh and snatch those dresses from the Gap quick before they sell out! It would cost a small fortune to have smocking like that done by hand and I can't imagine how (if she said "sundress") she could be imagining anything better than those. Buy now ask questions later! :lol:

Oh! I love that one. Simple, beautiful, and inexpensive. I swear I looked on the gap website and didn't even see that one. How did I miss that?

I don't sew. Please tell me that I'm not the only homeschool mommy who doesn't sew. :001_smile:

Since that looks like t-shirt knit material, you may want to double check with her that that will be okay. The nice thing about it being online is that you can email her the link and get her approval before you order :0).

They are cute, and Gap clothes wear well, so it would be nice to have something that you can actually use after the fact!

I emailed her the link to the gap dress. My friend was at Belks today (a department store in case anyone isn't familiar with Belks) and took a pic of this dress. It is on sale right now for 30% off. The only problem is it only comes in my oldest dd's size. Maybe I can find one similar for the little girls.

I really appreciate all the help!! You guys rock!

I always think I should sew.

We have enough that we "should" do don't you think? Funny thing, I've never heard anyone say "I should do watercolor." or "I should take up glass blowing." etc. Why sewing? If it makes you feel better it's not exactly a frugal hobby. :D

It *is* a hobby and should (especially in our modern age) be viewed as such. It should be fun for those who enjoy it, not to be worried about by those who don't.

That said, I'm glad it's my hobby and one I'm reasonably skilled at (It's more fun to do something when it works out well.). Back in December we had a Christmas party at a community center and my dd had NO swimsuit. For whatever reason, I didn't realize this until two days before the event. If I hadn't been able to make her one, she wouldn't have gone. You don't find swimsuits in stores in Michigan before Christmas. :tongue_smilie:

I emailed her the link to the gap dress. My friend was at Belks today (a department store in case anyone isn't familiar with Belks) and took a pic of this dress. It is on sale right now for 30% off. The only problem is it only comes in my oldest dd's size. Maybe I can find one similar for the little girls.

I really appreciate all the help!! You guys rock!

Not cheap, but on my computer this yellow looks pretty close to the one she sent you the link to ..... Not cheap, but if you get it and it is the wrong color, Nordstoms is super easy on their returns. They have free shipping over $200 so two dresses for the youngers, and your very close to free shipping. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2997812/0~2379292~2379293~6015126~6015127?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6015127&P=1