Menu

Renewing teaching cert vs grad school

1. We finally did a new budget last night, & after all the bills are paid, we've got $15/week leftover for food. I need to get a job! :001_smile:

2. I'm a certified secondary English teacher w/ an MEdT, but my license expires this summer. (July) I have to have 150 hrs of prof development to renew it. I have 63 hrs thata I earned during my first yr of teaching in 04/05. I can add up to 30 hrs of independent studies, which I'm sure I've more than done in all my reading over the last 4 yrs.

For the rest, there are some free online videos, etc., but they don't say how many hrs they're worth. If I assume 1 hr of presenting = 1 hr credit, then I can probably earn 30 hrs that way.

I can also take grad classes. They're worth 15 hrs ea, but to finish by the Jul 31 deadline, I could really only count Summer I courses this time. I could do Summer II & file my renewal late, but...I don't think I'd be able to find a job that way, kwim?

3. I don't have what you'd call the teaching personality. I can do it & do it well, but I have found that I don't fit in exceptionally well w/ the typical group of teachers. I have always imagined myself w/ a PhD, teaching at a college. Not that I specifically *wanted* that, just always saw myself that way, if that makes sense.

I could stay in school past this summer & work on a PhD. I've got several classes from my MEdT that should count toward an MA in English, so I might only need 4 classes plus my thesis to earn the MA. At most, I'd need 8. Fwiw, school & esp lit/writing comes *very* easy to me, so think of this as the equivalent of suggesting I take an aerobics class at the gym. Only more expensive. :lol:

The school where I earned my MEdT is not a good one, but I could get in w/ little paperwork because I haven't done anything since. It's less than 1/2 an hr from here. They offer GTA positions that pay $10,000/yr for MA students & a smidge more after you've finished the MA. Plus benefits that are 1/2 paid by the state. So, although it would help very much financially in the short run, it wouldn't be a kick in the head.

I'm not sure there are any stellar schools in the area. There's a private school here, & I like the look of their program, but I'd have to wait until next yr to apply, & it's not *that* good of a school. I could go back to the university where I earned my BA. They are very good, but...you're not really supposed to do your BA & PhD at the same place. Inbreeding, they call it. And it's over an hr away, twice as expensive, & doesn't offer teaching assistantships.

4. Going to school would work more easily (for me) w/ hs'ing than teaching would. If it were just one yr, the whole thing would be a moot point. But since I don't know how long I'll have to work, I'm trying to look at the big picture.

I've had many profs who hs'd, but that would be a hard thing to explain in a ps. My 4 yr absence after only 1 yr of (officially) teaching (I taught college courses for international students before that) may be hard to explain, too. Teaching would require a contract.

Otoh, w/ 2 more yrs teaching experience, I'd be a certified master reading teacher (I already have the coursework), & I'd also be qualified to be a curriculum coordinator. So I wouldn't necessarily have to stay in the classroom. Not that I mind the classroom. It's the administrators that I've had the most... keeping-my-mouth-shut-ness w/. And I guess they'll always be around.

5. In conclusion, I think grad school is a better fit for my personality. The kinds of people who work in university settings are...more my kind of people, if that makes sense. It's a career that I could put my heart into. If I'm making long-term career goals, this one makes the most sense for me.

I don't know if it makes sense for now. And I don't know what to do about the quality of schools in the area. I tend to put all my hope in my writing skills. Maybe I can publish papers that will outshine the name of the school on my diploma?

6. I should have included somewhere up there that I an extremem introvert. I can speak in front of people w/out a problem, but the politics & the small talk at a school cause me to alienate myself. The *kind* of being around people that teaching requires costs me a HUGE amt of energy. Emotional energy. If that makes sense. Although the same would be true in a college, it seems less so, based on my experiences as a student.

What do you think?

Hmmmm..... (puts on thinking cap)

It sounds as if the teaching route might be simpler when it comes to actually getting a job, and the paycheck *is* the bottom line, right? BUT I completely understand your feelings about dealing with administrators, not really "fitting in" with the other teachers, etc...

Getting the degree would give you a sense of personal accomplishment, and that's wonderful! BUT it would mean no immediate paycheck, right? (And ultimately, even if employed by a charming little private college, with the best students anyone could ever wish for, you'd STILL have to deal with administrators. *sigh*)

So..... Is there any possibility that you could seek out another option? Are there any subjects you could be a tutor for - in either the ps or the hs community? A woman in my hs support group taught classes in creative writing for a hefty fee, and actually had to open up more sessions to fit in all of the kids who wanted to participate!

The real question is just how much more do you need to make ends meet? If you can get by with 5 hours a week of tutoring, why get a "real" job? Have a brainstorming session with your family. You might be surprised (pleasantly:D) at the ideas your kids come up with!

-Robin

I don't have any answers but I have some questions!

Do you need a full-time job? A part-time job?

How will you and your dh manage all the family stuff if you teach?

What would it take to be able to substitute teach in secondary English?

Would you need to keep your certificate up to the same degree (for subbing)? (ie. do all the coursework).

Do you have the money for the courses?

I don't have any answers but I have some questions!

Do you need a full-time job? A part-time job?

How will you and your dh manage all the family stuff if you teach?

What would it take to be able to substitute teach in secondary English?

Would you need to keep your certificate up to the same degree (for subbing)? (ie. do all the coursework).

Do you have the money for the courses?

Subbing pays considerably less than teaching & is significantly less desirable. There are no benefits. And the pay scale would be lower w/out my cert.

Teaching would pay nearly $50,000/yr. I could pay childcare expenses & still come out way ahead. Plus, the kids & I would have health ins.

A couple of things to consider:

1. in my state, graduate course work in your subject area counts toward recert. If I do graduate courses instead of professional development hours it works out to taking six credits every 3 years. Check out if graduate courses will for the recert and then you may get double duty on your efforts--credits to get the MA and recert.

2. have you considered adult ed. I don't know how big your local school system is, but mine has quite a large adult ed program. Classes are offered day and night. The students are older and have determined they want to finish their high school diploma --so they want to be there. You may want to try adult ed when you recert (you could find out if you can do this before you finish the recert) and see how you like that environment. You may find a class schedule that works around your dh's work so you have no child care issues.

Do you have any of those centers near you that provide tutoring? They are often looking for people and you could have a more flexible schedule. I dont' know about benefits though.

If you are considering becoming a college professor, have you tried applying for a job a nearby jr colleges? For most of those in my state you only need a Masters degree. Then, once hired, many have programs to help you obtain your PhD. That way you could have your benefits, some flexibility, and be where you hope to end up...

Do you have any of those centers near you that provide tutoring? They are often looking for people and you could have a more flexible schedule. I dont' know about benefits though.

If you are considering becoming a college professor, have you tried applying for a job a nearby jr colleges? For most of those in my state you only need a Masters degree. Then, once hired, many have programs to help you obtain your PhD. That way you could have your benefits, some flexibility, and be where you hope to end up...

My master's is in ed, not English. I could only teach ed classes (w/out going back to sch), but you can't teach those w/out quite a few yrs exp teaching ps.

I don't want to work at a tutoring center. If I have to work, I want a real job. I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but in the end, it seems like it would be the same (or more) hrs for less pay, less time off, & nothing helpful to add to my res. You know how if you self-medicate for too long, you can make something worse? I don't want to make poor decisions for my career based on hope that dh will someday have a career stable enough for me to stay home again. Maybe that will happen, but if it doesn't, I don't want to spend my life working in tutoring centers.

The job market for English PhDs is impossible and is going to get worse. I know the 10K/yr for MA is tempting, but that is temporary and won't help you down the road.

I can understand not wanting to teach in a K-12 PS, but I'd suggest looking outside of that box . . . test prep, tutoring, classes for homeschoolers, etc.

Aubrey,

Well, I have to admit that your list of options has my head swimming. My only input is to say that very often school systems will hire even if your license has expired on the understanding that you will work on getting the required hours for renewal after you are hired. Many systems offer teacher inservice classes that award credit toward renewal. And, once you are hired, the system may offer tuition reimbursement - I know our local system does.

Even so, I wonder how you will manage the littles with working, even part time. Just saying.

Oh, and not sure how you feel about this, but can you qualify for WIC? Seems you'd be able to qualify easily.

The job market for English PhDs is impossible and is going to get worse. I know the 10K/yr for MA is tempting, but that is temporary and won't help you down the road.

I can understand not wanting to teach in a K-12 PS, but I'd suggest looking outside of that box . . . test prep, tutoring, classes for homeschoolers, etc.

Nah, the 10K/yr isn't tempting--it's up against 50k/yr for teaching, you know. It just makes the idea of going BACK to school a *little* more palatable.

I don't know anything specific about the job mkt for lit profs, but I didn't imagine it was good. Do you know that I've made decisions my *whole* life based on job mkt, etc? People told me it would be hard to get a job in art or journalism, so I didn't do that. People told me it would be worthless to get a degree in creative writing, so I didn't do that.

Not that they were all wrong, but I do think that *sometimes* people are too afraid of competition. I'm a really smart, really talented person who scares easy. So the job market has always been that much easier for everybody else.

I know your advice is good--I hope I don't sound snarky. I'm just mad at myself for listening to advice like this when I was young enough to have recovered from failure. Kwim?

Aubrey,

Well, I have to admit that your list of options has my head swimming. My only input is to say that very often school systems will hire even if your license has expired on the understanding that you will work on getting the required hours for renewal after you are hired. Many systems offer teacher inservice classes that award credit toward renewal. And, once you are hired, the system may offer tuition reimbursement - I know our local system does.

Even so, I wonder how you will manage the littles with working, even part time. Just saying.

Oh, and not sure how you feel about this, but can you qualify for WIC? Seems you'd be able to qualify easily.

Dallas just laid off a bunch of teachers due to a budget problem. So I think the mkt is flooded right now, even for teachers. IF I could get a job w/ an expired cert, it wouldn't be in a good district anyway. And since I've worked in a bad district, I really don't want to go to a worse one.

The 63 hrs I already have are from teacher inservice things I did the yr I taught. But I can't get those before 7/31 unless there's a school that needs an English teacher to finish out the yr. lol.

Dh & I were in school while the 1st 2 were little. We haven't ever tried to do it while hsing, but I generally keep my plate full. I have a friend who keeps kids (& likes it!), wants to hs hers when they're old enough, & likes mine enough that she's offered to adopt them if dh & I die. I haven't asked her, but I'm pretty sure she'd be happy to keep them & maybe even keep up some of the hs'ing (if I'm willing to share).

Sure, we could qualify for WIC. Food stamps, etc. But how can I justify that when I could be working? Even dh could be working for a real salary. And maybe he will before the summer's up. In the mean time, though, I feel irresponsible to put groceries on the cc, accept gov't $, or not feed my kids. And really, the sense of self-worth that would come from either teaching or being in school would be nice, too. Our current situation doesn't lend a lot of that. ;)

All i know is that a (former) friend makes more money tutoring the kids she used to teach at a private school. In just 2 days a week of working 1/2 days.

I'd be seriously trying to go that route than any of the other options right now if it was me.

:grouphug:

I know I couldn't make any $ at a private sch. Tutoring is like owning your own business. Which requires more of a pro-active approach to people. I can't do that. I need a hole in a school to huddle down in & grade papers, read books, & help people who come to me. Not me to them.

If I trick myself into thinking I can do that, I'll end up worse off. I hope you understand. I'm not discounting your suggestion, I just can't do it.

Oh, Aubrey, I so relate to you. I totally understand all your objections to the ideas offered so far - even mine.:) I too am very insecure. When I graduated from college I looked for a job as a word processor operator. I just wanted to sit in a cubby and type straight copy and not have to be in charge of anything at all. I graduated with honors and was too shy to interview when all the school systems sent their representatives to our campus for an "Teacher Career Day." I've never been able to put myself out there, as it were. All my jobs have come to me, interestingly enough.

I'm going to pray that God will send you a job you can do well, will fit into your current situation, will support your long-term career goals and will pay enough to meet your needs. I'm also going to pray for your dh. I truly believe God will provide something.

Oh, Aubrey, I so relate to you. I totally understand all your objections to the ideas offered so far - even mine.:) I too am very insecure. When I graduated from college I looked for a job as a word processor operator. I just wanted to sit in a cubby and type straight copy and not have to be in charge of anything at all. I graduated with honors and was too shy to interview when all the school systems sent their representatives to our campus for an "Teacher Career Day." I've never been able to put myself out there, as it were. All my jobs have come to me, interestingly enough.

I'm going to pray that God will send you a job you can do well, will fit into your current situation, will support your long-term career goals and will pay enough to meet your needs. I'm also going to pray for your dh. I truly believe God will provide something.

I did apply last week for a job as a PT editor of a hs magazine. That would be perfect.

Dh is doing a temp research job that he hopes will turn into something better. If nothing else, it's been good for reminding him who he is & what he's good at. He starts training for a sales job tomorrow.

If I were in school (or teaching), it would help him stay in school. Neither of us wants me to get a job *so* he can do seminary, but if it works out that way, maybe that's a blessing. I don't know. I'm going to try to be really excited about whatever happens, because either way, it will be something new.

Plus, we've talked about the fact that even if he had a better job now, we don't have enough life ins. So if he died & I needed to go back to work, I would need a resume that was marketable. Right now, mine's not. And since he *is* still alive, I guess I feel like I have some wiggle room w/ regard to what I do. Not much, but if some wiggling makes my future more palatable, maybe I should do it while I can.

My whole life, I've done things that didn't fit me, sometimes to prove I could (majoring in math for a brief couple of semesters), sometimes because people told me it was all I *could* do. I had a Latin prof once who described a person w/ my background (w/out knowing my background) to his class & said all a person like that would ever be good for was picking potatoes. His point was that it was a privilege to be studying Latin at the college level & we should treat that privelege w/ the responsibilty it warranted, but he was also elitist & mean. I was 6mos pg w/ #1 & young enough that no one would have guessed I was married. I *looked* like I'd never amt to anything. One of the priests who taught philosophy suggested I quit school.

I don't really know what my point is.

Dallas just laid off a bunch of teachers due to a budget problem. So I think the mkt is flooded right now, even for teachers. IF I could get a job w/ an expired cert, it wouldn't be in a good district anyway. And since I've worked in a bad district, I really don't want to go to a worse one.

The 63 hrs I already have are from teacher inservice things I did the yr I taught. But I can't get those before 7/31 unless there's a school that needs an English teacher to finish out the yr. lol.

Dh & I were in school while the 1st 2 were little. We haven't ever tried to do it while hsing, but I generally keep my plate full. I have a friend who keeps kids (& likes it!), wants to hs hers when they're old enough, & likes mine enough that she's offered to adopt them if dh & I die. I haven't asked her, but I'm pretty sure she'd be happy to keep them & maybe even keep up some of the hs'ing (if I'm willing to share).

Sure, we could qualify for WIC. Food stamps, etc. But how can I justify that when I could be working? Even dh could be working for a real salary. And maybe he will before the summer's up. In the mean time, though, I feel irresponsible to put groceries on the cc, accept gov't $, or not feed my kids. And really, the sense of self-worth that would come from either teaching or being in school would be nice, too. Our current situation doesn't lend a lot of that. ;)

I've got more of a sense of self-worth raising and teaching my children than I did as a teacher-for-pay. But I am also trying to wrestle with the idea that how I live is more important than what I am doing in regard with my sense of self-worth.

I've got more of a sense of self-worth raising and teaching my children than I did as a teacher-for-pay. But I am also trying to wrestle with the idea that how I live is more important than what I am doing in regard with my sense of self-worth.

I agree. But...when you don't have the $ to raise your kids, it all gets a little mixed up. Does that make sense?

If you have to go back to work, look into this school. I have a friend with children attending there and she loves it. I know nothing about pay or benefits, but the school itself is amazing.

http://www.pcstx.org/prov.cfm?M=about_us/emloyment

Or the Coram Deo

http://coramdeoacademy.org/content/employment/index.php

Or the Cambridge school

http://www.cambridgedallas.org/faculty-career.php

Like I said, I don't know anything about the money/benefits at these schools, but maybe being in a teaching situation that was more comfortable, you'd enjoy it more?

I personally would not be seeking a profession, in your shoes. With four little children at home, I would want to do what I needed to do to make up the difference needed for the monthly expenses, in conjunction with dh's efforts. Maybe he works a couple nights per week in addition to what he's already doing (perhaps while he is also looking for a higher paying full-time job), and you work a couple nights, or tutor or teach classes... whatever the minimum needed to get by financially. I know you're a go-getter, and I'm sure you probably do have a lot more energy and ambition than I do, which is great, but I would encourage you that if you want to continue homeschooling and staying home with your littles, to consider options that are less disruptive to that, while doing what you need to get by.

Of course, this is coming from someone who strongly feels that I would rather struggle financially the entire time my kids are growing up, and get to be with them and homeschool, than to have more financial stability and give up those things, so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I wish you all the best in finding a solution to this problem. It is no fun to do a budget like that and realize how far short you really are. Dh and I have to sit down soon and do the same thing, and I am trying to prepare myself to find out the same thing.

I need a little clarification. Isn't this a temporary problem while your husband is in school? It sounds like you are making major life changing plans, rather than just how are you going to get through the next couple of years. Please forgive me if I step over the line here, but it seems like your husband needs to be figuring this out with you. As I've heard you talk about the financial situation in the past it doesn't seem like he is stepping up to the plate on providing, choosing to not earn what he could. I totally understand sacrificing and suffering through seminary (my sil and bil just finished seminary with 3 kids and he worked nights and it was awful for them!!) but this seems like a much bigger plan. It seems like you are planning on becoming the major bread-winner of the family, which to be honest, seems like the opposite of what I have heard you saying over the past years.

Are you both wanting to continue homeschooling? It doesn't sound like either option will allow for that at this point in time.

My master's is in ed, not English. I could only teach ed classes (w/out going back to sch), but you can't teach those w/out quite a few yrs exp teaching ps.

I don't want to work at a tutoring center. If I have to work, I want a real job. I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but in the end, it seems like it would be the same (or more) hrs for less pay, less time off, & nothing helpful to add to my res. You know how if you self-medicate for too long, you can make something worse? I don't want to make poor decisions for my career based on hope that dh will someday have a career stable enough for me to stay home again. Maybe that will happen, but if it doesn't, I don't want to spend my life working in tutoring centers.

I know you don't want to work in tutoring centers, but it's actually a viable job opportunity for some. My dh did this (admittedly not for a career...he did it while he was in grad school) and the going rate these days is between $20-$50/hr. You can earn a decent amount of money and schedule around your homeschooling schedule.

I'd go for grad school personally.:D

I need a little clarification. Isn't this a temporary problem while your husband is in school? It sounds like you are making major life changing plans, rather than just how are you going to get through the next couple of years. Please forgive me if I step over the line here, but it seems like your husband needs to be figuring this out with you. As I've heard you talk about the financial situation in the past it doesn't seem like he is stepping up to the plate on providing, choosing to not earn what he could. I totally understand sacrificing and suffering through seminary (my sil and bil just finished seminary with 3 kids and he worked nights and it was awful for them!!) but this seems like a much bigger plan. It seems like you are planning on becoming the major bread-winner of the family, which to be honest, seems like the opposite of what I have heard you saying over the past years.

Are you both wanting to continue homeschooling? It doesn't sound like either option will allow for that at this point in time.

We both want to continue hs'ing. Seminary has been hard. We agreed just before Christmas that it hasn't worked & we needed to leave. He did not find a job. Since we're in seminary housing, our rent would have gone up 25%, his student loans would have gone back into repayment, & the support we were receiving while in seminary would have ended.

So the plan was for him to take the min # of classes this semester, to keep rent low, etc., while looking for a better plan. This semester has been the hardest of our entire marriage. He has not provided for us as he should, you're right, & he's had a very difficult time emotionally.

He seems to see the problem now. He's working 2 jobs to make the $ that got us the budget I mentioned. He suggested getting a 3rd one. I think that if he's gone that much, that would be more detrimental to our children than having us both work. And we'd still be eeking by w/ no plans.

This is no longer a temporary problem relate to seminary. We've long passed over the line of needing to do something else, & I'm the one doing something else. I'm trying to do it w/ a humble & cheerful attitude, & I'm open to something else, but I do feel like it's time for me to do *something.*

If in 2 yrs, he has finished seminary & has a good enough job that I can stay home again, great! If not, 2 more yrs worth of debt might make that hole too deep to get out of, kwim?

When our marriage has hit rough spots before, I've tried to remove all expectations. That's what I'm doing now. I'm trying to think like I'm the only one who can improve the situation. Otherwise, I'll just be angry, pointing fingers, & still in the same situation, kwim? :001_smile:

I know you don't want to work in tutoring centers, but it's actually a viable job opportunity for some. My dh did this (admittedly not for a career...he did it while he was in grad school) and the going rate these days is between $20-$50/hr. You can earn a decent amount of money and schedule around your homeschooling schedule.

I'd go for grad school personally.:D

I hadn't thought about a tutoring center while going to school. I tend to be an either/or kind of thinker, & get myself trapped in some logical conundrums that way! :lol:

Talking through this has helped me to see better what I think would be a good idea, if that makes sense. I could work at a tutoring center if it were part of a bigger plan.

Ugh, I hate looking for a job, though. I don't like having to convince people to like & trust me. I'm always afraid I'll come across as backwards, dumpy, & apathetic. Must. smile. more. :D (I just forget!)

I hadn't thought about a tutoring center while going to school. I tend to be an either/or kind of thinker, & get myself trapped in some logical conundrums that way! :lol:

Talking through this has helped me to see better what I think would be a good idea, if that makes sense. I could work at a tutoring center if it were part of a bigger plan.

Ugh, I hate looking for a job, though. I don't like having to convince people to like & trust me. I'm always afraid I'll come across as backwards, dumpy, & apathetic. Must. smile. more. :D (I just forget!)

:hug:

I have a hard time with this too (the interviewing for a job thing). I went back to work for awhile (I'm home now) and the interview process was the hardest thing. And sound confident...but not so confident you're off-putting, etc!

But...I know you can do it! You present yourself well on the boards, I'm sure you do in real life too!

We both want to continue hs'ing.

So the plan was for him to take the min # of classes this semester, to keep rent low, etc., while looking for a better plan.

He seems to see the problem now. He's working 2 jobs to make the $ that got us the budget I mentioned. He suggested getting a 3rd one. I think that if he's gone that much, that would be more detrimental to our children than having us both work. And we'd still be eeking by w/ no plans.

Based on what you both want to do (keep homeschooling), and based on what you say is happening now with his classes so you can keep rent low, might his taking a 3rd job and seeing what it's like to be away from you guys all the time actually help him to start coming up with more long-term plans to change that? Or would it all blow up?:)

If the latter, then I'd also say you could try tutoring, but in your home. I did it for two years, and constantly think about doing it again - you can make really good money in few hours, and I bet with your degrees and such, you could command higher prices. And you only need to find one or two clients, do a good job with them, for your reputation to start spreading, so you might not have to be as "pro-active" as you think. And it's in your home, so you are not having to deal with other teachers or trying to fit in - you just do your teaching thing.

Think about it - your budget worked out to cover everything plus $15/week for food. If you worked 4 hours a week at $30/hour, you'd have $135/week for food (minus taxes, if that factors in). If you play around with the number of hours and the rate per hour, you'll see other hopeful results.

When our marriage has hit rough spots before, I've tried to remove all expectations. That's what I'm doing now. I'm trying to think like I'm the only one who can improve the situation. Otherwise, I'll just be angry, pointing fingers, & still in the same situation, kwim? :001_smile:

I always admire your attitude, Aubrey!! You are a good woman. :001_smile: I will pray that God will bring the exact right job for your husband that will allow you to stay home.

One seminary wife-to another....(what I think you should do).....post your name at the seminary for tutoring asap. We have an office here specifically for students and spouses to post for odd jobs like babysitting/tutoring/house cleaning/etc... In our area, it's very popular and families in the community seek out seminary folks for these things. IDK if your seminary does that - check. Tutoring may not be what you want to do for the rest of your life, but it will feed your kids next month.

I strongly advise you to wait on your grad school until dh is done with seminary. s.t.r.e.s.s!:001_huh: (I've tried it......and we only had 1 little ds at the time. Of course, you are not me and this is all my opinion - :001_smile:)

It sounds like dh took a leap of faith and is now....floundering....? I am feeling your pain - I have been living this -dh working 2 jobs, going to school and still not having the $ to live "like normal people." My dh finally just took some CRAZY heavy loads to get us out of here. It has been a LOOONNGGGGGGG road, and I have made out several budgets that didn't have meeting ends, and somehow we are graduating in May with no more debt than what we came in with (...SL's from our bach degrees...:glare:).

Keep praying for God to open a door for your dh-

Keep praying for God to give you the strength to make it through *this* day-

Keep praying that your family will be an example of HIS love and grace and provision-

Keep praying specifically for your family's needs-

The most gruelling part of seminary isn't in the course work. It's the strain on families, on budgets, and on marriages. Pass that test!

Ever read George Mueller? Now's a good time;)....My kids got the Veggie Tale with the GM short in the middle (the Gideon one I think) and it was like a slap in my face and hope all wrapped up in one. I didn't know whether to throw a rock at the tv or cry.....I was nursing a nb though so I did neither....

:grouphug:

I don't know why I get such tunnel vision or so emotional sometimes, but you guys were such an encouragement yesterday, & today everything seems a little better.

Dh starts training for a new job tonight. He seems more & more like himself every day. He's SO supportive of hs'ing, he's willing to work 3 jobs, never sleep, never see his dc, if that's what it takes. I tend not to see the blessing in that, but really, I'm very lucky. He's encountered a lot of failure & disappointment in the last few months, but he's treated me w/ such kindness & gentleness. He brought dd6 flowers for her birthday. He changes diapers, gives baths, & plays chess w/ ds8.

This small detail about $? It will be fine. I just get impatient.

So thank you again, so much, for your listening & kindness & friendship. Y'all don't know how much you've helped over the years.

Nah, the 10K/yr isn't tempting--it's up against 50k/yr for teaching, you know. It just makes the idea of going BACK to school a *little* more palatable.

I don't know anything specific about the job mkt for lit profs, but I didn't imagine it was good. Do you know that I've made decisions my *whole* life based on job mkt, etc? People told me it would be hard to get a job in art or journalism, so I didn't do that. People told me it would be worthless to get a degree in creative writing, so I didn't do that.

ETA: I hadn't read your final comment when I posted this. I hope it doesn't seem like I was beating a dead horse. My personal feeling is that there is gross malpractice in this country in letting people into grad programs where they have virtually no chance of getting a job in the field. It is something like getting a PhD in making whale oil or hand typesetting or buggy driving or something . . .

You inspire me with your good attitude. I hope things work out well for you and your husband.

Not that they were all wrong, but I do think that *sometimes* people are too afraid of competition. I'm a really smart, really talented person who scares easy. So the job market has always been that much easier for everybody else.

I know your advice is good--I hope I don't sound snarky. I'm just mad at myself for listening to advice like this when I was young enough to have recovered from failure. Kwim?

I hate to be the mean pragmatist, but . . . if you were your 19-year-old self, I'd tell you to go for it. But you are a mother of four with 15$/week to spend on groceries. This isn't the season in your life for reaching for the stars--it is the season for putting food on the table in the most reliable way.

And I sincerely hope that didn't sound snarky, because I didn't mean it to. I'm just trying to be practical.

ETA: I didn't catch your final comment before writing this post, so I hope it doesn't seem like I'm beating a dead horse.

Edited by Julie in Austin

I don't know why I get such tunnel vision or so emotional sometimes, but you guys were such an encouragement yesterday, & today everything seems a little better.

Dh starts training for a new job tonight. He seems more & more like himself every day. He's SO supportive of hs'ing, he's willing to work 3 jobs, never sleep, never see his dc, if that's what it takes. I tend not to see the blessing in that, but really, I'm very lucky. He's encountered a lot of failure & disappointment in the last few months, but he's treated me w/ such kindness & gentleness. He brought dd6 flowers for her birthday. He changes diapers, gives baths, & plays chess w/ ds8.

This small detail about $? It will be fine. I just get impatient.

So thank you again, so much, for your listening & kindness & friendship. Y'all don't know how much you've helped over the years.

I'm so glad to see the post, Audrey. I understand your feelings - I get that way too. You can never imagine what you can do until you have to.

I never thought we could do what we have done. When all options are gone (no credit to use, no family members to support you, etc.) things still seem to work out. Your expectations change and your perspective changes.

This is for a season. As long as you don't run up large debts making this happen, 5 years from now things will be different. As long as you have a light at the end of your tunnel, you can keep moving forward.

I'm glad that you are feeling better about it all today.

Your dh sounds like a great guy! (reminds me of my own...:D)

The $! Seriously, I can give you a long list of storires about how God has provided for us through seminary!!! I have had days/weeks of panic about every semester over the budget and it has always worked out. PM me anytime you need to hear one of those stories (just make sure you get MY version and not dh's....:blushing::lol:)

I don't know what God has planned for you, but I urge to NOT make major life decisions based on fear. God called your family there, and HE has it all worked out... Keep trusting, keep praying!

Praying for peace in your heart about the decisions you and your dh are making:grouphug:

I don't have your qualifications but maybe this will help

I decided to go back to school and get my MA in English - hoping to pursue a Ph.D. but one step at a time. I considered getting the Teaching Credential, I am not cut out for teaching k-12 in ps - my sister is a teacher and I can tell I'm not the "teacher type" either

I need to make money as well, I will probably be on my own soon so I need to prepare so it is a hard decision - teaching in a k-12 seems like sure $, but CA is cutting so many teachers I don't know if that is true anymore. Teaching at a college/university is much more my style and would work out better for hsing as well.

hth a little at least, it has been my experience that you can't go wrong if you follow your passion -

I tell you what. W/ the flu that's going round, I'm glad we didn't do a budget 3 or 4 weeks ago. If I'd have realized & pursued work sooner, I could be in a pickle right now.

Not that everyone's getting sick, but I'm the type who catches stuff, kwim? And w/ 4 dc, it's hard to get rid of stuff once we've got it. And w/ *that* going round, I bet it would be harder to find someone to watch them during school hrs.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in a K-12 classroom. Not any time soon!

I tell you what. W/ the flu that's going round, I'm glad we didn't do a budget 3 or 4 weeks ago. If I'd have realized & pursued work sooner, I could be in a pickle right now.

Not that everyone's getting sick, but I'm the type who catches stuff, kwim? And w/ 4 dc, it's hard to get rid of stuff once we've got it. And w/ *that* going round, I bet it would be harder to find someone to watch them during school hrs.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be in a K-12 classroom. Not any time soon!

Praying for you!:grouphug:

I'm another with an ED degree I refuse to use in a K-12 anytime soon. It seems to be a recurring theme on this board.:001_huh::tongue_smilie: