Menu

Do you mind if your children are given junk food by other people?

Does it bother you when other people give your children junk food?  

1. 1. Does it bother you when other people give your children junk food?

• No, because it doesn't happen that often.
    • No, it doesn't bother me AT ALL.
    • Yes, it does
    • Other

Yeah, it bugs me - but not as much as it used to. I try to feed my kids a healthy diet - we try to do whole grains, healthy fats, low sugar, plenty of organic fruits and veggies. We do this, not to be food nazi's as I have been accused of, but for real health reasons. I have blood sugar issues - hypoglycemia leading into insulin resistance, plus 2 of my kids have food allergies. Bad food often leads to meltdowns. Most of the people that we encounter homeschooling eat similarly to us. However, it is the junky snacks and drinks at sporting events and the garbage that qualifies for food at Boy Scout Campouts that really bugs me. It has a direct impact on the health of my children.

I make an exception for my mom who always has a full cookie jar. To Mom, cookies mean love. It took me a long time to get over the transfats, sugar and artificial flavorings and just accept that my mom just wants to be the fun grandma. We only go over to her place a couple times a month so I just encourage my kids not to gorge themselves (as I try to find a semblence of self-control myself:)).

Haven't read all the responses but, while my kids are given a ton of candy that doesn't mean I let them eat it. Most of it is thrown away quite honestly. ;)

:iagree: When my girls are given candy, they know to always ask first. We have a candy stash in the back room and treats are doled out carefully. Many things are forgotten and end up in the trash - no harm all around.

I do have to say I'm thankful that the place where the girls take gymnastics has switched to stickers after class instead of candy. That always confused me a bit. :001_huh:

But I voted no, it doesn't bother me at all.

It would bother me with my youngest, because she has numerous food allergies and, due to her autism, she wouldn't say "no". She'd just eat it! Most folks who know her, however, know not to feed her anything without checking with us first.

For my older children, it doesn't really bother me.

I voted "No, because it doesn't happen that often". However, it did bother me a lot when my kids were younger because it seemed that it happened all the time. We participated in more library and county programs and were more connected socially then, I guess. Plus, my son has food allergies and it was harder on him when we had to turn things down when he was just a little guy.

Lisa

Yes, it bothers me. However, I don't make a big deal about it. I know my lifestyle choices are not the choices of everyone around me. My kids know we don't have junk at home. They know that if they are offered junk at a friends house it is okay to accept it, eat it, and enjoy it. My philosophy is that my kids will have plenty of access to junk food. I don't have to supply it. My kids totally fail on the snack-o-meter when their friends are over. All we have are yogurt, fruits and cut up vegetables. Sometimes, there may be some granola bars.

We try to walk the middle path. Junk food is just fine in moderation. They don't get heaps at home so I don't mind the sprite at Papa's house or the cookie at playgroup. 10 cookies? Maybe.

I think it's important to be gracious. At the same time, they know to ask me before the accept. I found out that his lesson actually sunk in the other day. The next door neighbors offered to share tic-tacs with my boys. Usually I would be fine with that but because I know the adults over there do drugs and tic-tacs resemble pills, I said no. I heard complaints.

What bothers me most is when people offer "sugar free" food that have artificial sweetners. How many times have I heard, this is good because there is no sugar in it!

Good point. My sister once tried to talk my girls into choosing the Dum Dum lolly-pop over a small chocolate bar, because the Dum Dum doesn't have any fat in it.:001_huh: For some reason, it was very hard to explain that I didn't want my girls to have the artifical flavors and colors that were in the Dum Dum lolly-pop.:glare: I would rather them have the natural coco butter.