Menu

Any advice on buying used books?

So, I figured I'd try to save a few bucks by ordering used science books (PHSE). I'm trying through Amazon, and since I want to buy student, teacher, and workbook, I'm balancing the price vs. shipping from different vendors, and trying to figure out if the same vendor has more than one book. If the workbook costs $3. new, but I buy it for $5 as a 2nd book from the same vendor, then I'm saving $2/$4 shipping, right? Makes me crazy.

I have a cart full of books. Is there a method to this madness?

You will not save on shipping at Amazon Marketplace by buying from the same vendor, unless things have changed very recently. Other sites lower the shipping on 2nd and 3rd items, but not AM. So you need to look at "price plus $4 ship" for each book.

I didn't believe you. I thought since they grouped them by vendor, it would only be 1 $4 shipping charge. But, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I am so gullible. :tongue_smilie:

Would you clue me in on some other sites that lower the shipping for multiple items?

So, I figured I'd try to save a few bucks by ordering used science books (PHSE). I'm trying through Amazon, and since I want to buy student, teacher, and workbook, I'm balancing the price vs. shipping from different vendors, and trying to figure out if the same vendor has more than one book. If the workbook costs $3. new, but I buy it for $5 as a 2nd book from the same vendor, then I'm saving $2/$4 shipping, right? Makes me crazy.

I have a cart full of books. Is there a method to this madness?

You can save on shipping by buying multiple books from the same seller at Half.com, but not at Amazon. Some of the bigger Half/Amazon sellers have their own websites; you could google various sellers to see which ones have their own sites, and what they'd charge for shipping if you were to buy directly from their sites.

try abebooks.com

I find that many times, though not all, the same people list there things in multiple places. I find that most Abebooks sellers discount for multiple books from the same seller.

alibris.com just frustrates me. I try to not use them unless I absolutely have to.

Hope that might help!

I actually like alibris better than ABE books, but I found them first, so it might just be I've gotten used to how they work and ABE is still a learning curve.

Alibris also gives a discount for multiple books from the same seller, once you find the first book, you can check the sellers who have it to see if they have the others.

I always look at bookmooch.com first because those are absolutely free! Often the book I'm looking for isn't available, but free is definately worth a quick search.

Post 10 books you're willing to send out for free and you get 1 point with which to "mooch" any book someone else has posted. They pay the shipping cost to send it to you but, of course, you have to be willing to pay to send out the books someone mooches from you. You get credit for posting ANY book, and also for each book you send out, so I've found it to be very worth my while. I'm building my Well-Educated Mind library.

I didn't believe you. I thought since they grouped them by vendor, it would only be 1 $4 shipping charge. But, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I am so gullible. :tongue_smilie:

Would you clue me in on some other sites that lower the shipping for multiple items?

You didn't believe me?

*smites you*

others have mentioned all the places I'm familiar with; I've mostly used half.com. local thrift stores have also been a great place for finding used books (and lots of discovery toys and games, for some reason).

I will unsmite you, but just this once.

katilac, aka She Who Must Not Be Doubted